Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
loving speedrunning into fascism. Amazing.

E: any suggestions on internet gun stores to watch for sales around the 4th? I'm eyeballing Ruger Redhawks (maybe Super Redhawks if I want a wristbreaker in .44).

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

Not only should guns be period appropriate to the time of the drafting of the Bill of Rights, they should also be constructed with period‐appropriate tools and techniques. :colbert:

McNally just got the biggest boner finger guns.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: any suggestions on internet gun stores to watch for sales around the 4th? I'm eyeballing Ruger Redhawks (maybe Super Redhawks if I want a wristbreaker in .44).

.454 Casull or go home

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seems like this would immediately effect "May" vs "Shall" Issue for concealed carry but would this apply to open carry in any states? Mine just signed a law banning open carry yesterday so would just lmao if it got reversed in the same week.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Marshal Prolapse posted:

.454 Casull or go home

I'm pretty tempted. I do live in the rockies.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm pretty tempted. I do live in the rockies.

:gritin:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why does any blue state in the US give a single poo poo about the illegitimate Supreme Court considering 3 of the justices were appointed by a twice impeached president that attempted a fascist coup?

How do Democrats not realize nobody wants some decorum poisoned geriatric piece of poo poo for president?

It's pathetic how terrified Democrats are of Republicans when they should be figuratively punching them in the face at every opportunity.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Seems like this would immediately effect "May" vs "Shall" Issue for concealed carry but would this apply to open carry in any states? Mine just signed a law banning open carry yesterday so would just lmao if it got reversed in the same week.

That appears to be the case for May/Shall, but not open carry. The SC more or less didn't touch the Shall issue regulations (like no guns in government places, even if concealed), but appear to have killed off the May issue regulations. Unclear if it's going to force the May States to become Shall States and I haven't seen anything in the coverage related to Open Carry stuff.

But the SC also said that the Shall States absolutely can impose the licensing requirements they have, so it's not willy-nilly EVERYONE GETS A GUN decision, likely due to the Roberts/Kavanaugh concurrence. There appear to be four votes for GUNS EVERYWHERE FOR EVERYONE NOW, but not six.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mustang posted:

Why does any blue state in the US give a single poo poo about the illegitimate Supreme Court considering 3 of the justices were appointed by a twice impeached president that attempted a fascist coup?

:decorum:

Oof. Those ammo prices.

I mean, .44 isn't great either, but drat. We'll see.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A.o.D. posted:

I'm gonna 3rd base every prairie dog I can find and we're bringing Plague BACK BABY

You kid, but there is a prairie dog town right outside my apartment, and a few months ago some old dude was bringing his grandson and encouraging him to try and pet the prairie dogs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

You kid, but there is a prairie dog town right outside my apartment, and a few months ago some old dude was bringing his grandson and encouraging him to try and pet the prairie dogs.

Maybe call animal control and ask if they can put up "No touching, plague risk" signs around the colony. I know I've seen signs around in places like Florence.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Platystemon posted:

Not only should guns be period appropriate to the time of the drafting of the Bill of Rights, they should also be constructed with period‐appropriate tools and techniques. :colbert:

Too much focus on Jefferson as origanilist, not enough Thomas Paine. Shoot every government agent that tries to set foot on your property.

Edit: and slaveholders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Wombat_Matt/status/1160224905998327808

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1539977165269254146?s=21&t=tLIwLO7xf1I5_O_ZlDb_jg

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Really pumped for 4th of July this year so I can celebrate what a festering poo poo heap this country is.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mustang posted:

Really pumped for 4th of July this year so I can celebrate what a festering poo poo heap this country is.

same

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

:decorum:

Oof. Those ammo prices.

I mean, .44 isn't great either, but drat. We'll see.

Well look at it this way its protection in case Sasquatch gets into some QAnon poo poo and goes rogue.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I really hope Sasquatch isn't watching OANN.

However a .454 would be a good excuse to put a scope on a revolver...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I really hope Sasquatch isn't watching OANN.

However a .454 would be a good excuse to put a scope on a revolver...

Well you know it’s more one of their crazy Uncles who listens to Sasquatch Tucker Carlson, while eating meth he finds from abandoned labs in the wood’s. So evolutionarily speaking; not that different from humans.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"We're not a political institution!" I scream as an endless series of decisions come down on political party lines.

Right. Sure. Totally believe you.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1539981926219538432?t=snboRYqjL0XnadpAqmzuWA&s=19

Watching the fall of america in real time

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What will schools do with their Juul rooms now?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Store body armor for the teachers?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Turn them into gay sex and transition rooms. God, don't you watch the news?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

Wait then where’s the litter box?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

You mean installing a secret grooming and dungeon and torture chamber aka The Oklahoma Caro Hilton?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Media's not quite reporting the decision right, here's basically the operative part:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1539983707473428480?t=RjBQWcrFAcPD8HYuOnWT_g&s=19

This is incorrect.

For that to be the case, there would have to be no opinion that got 5 votes in total and/or there would be something specific identifying that part of the Thomas opinion did not have five votes. This is not the case. Kav and Roberts joined the opinion in full. There is no part they disagreed with. Thomas' opinion is the opinion of the court - it is the controlling precedent. Nothing in the concurrences matters. The concurrences with partial votes are just justices adding two cents, but they are not any more controlling than a dissent.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

lets check in on the opposition

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1539936969001680897

oh.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is incorrect.

For that to be the case, there would have to be no opinion that got 5 votes in total and/or there would be something specific identifying that part of the Thomas opinion did not have five votes. This is not the case. Kav and Roberts joined the opinion in full. There is no part they disagreed with. Thomas' opinion is the opinion of the court - it is the controlling precedent. Nothing in the concurrences matters. The concurrences with partial votes are just justices adding two cents, but they are not any more controlling than a dissent.

Here's a big ol' thread on why you're both right and wrong, due to the "pivotal concurrence":

https://twitter.com/tommy_bennett/status/1539994235499429890

https://twitter.com/tommy_bennett/status/1539994245095907328

You're absolutely right because well, IIRC you're a lawyer and you're actually right. But I have you on "lol, law is fake" grounds, where all that matters here is how the Districts/Circuits end up interpreting this thing. That may trend to the whole opinion (the Thomas side, you win), but may also trend towards the Concurrence (Roberts/Kavanaugh, I win).

Hellworld dictates that you win. A lot of the smart legal folks are noting that the Districts/Circuits in situations like these end up making law decisions based on the Concurrence.

And this is how we make law in this country :toot:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: HOLY poo poo THEY RAIDED A RINGLEADER :siren:

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1540014972964667400

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/us/politics/jeffrey-clark-trump-justice-dept.html

quote:

Mr. Trump considered and then abandoned a plan in the days just before the Jan. 6 attack to put Mr. Clark in charge of the Justice Department as acting attorney general. At the time, Mr. Clark was proposing to send a letter to state officials in Georgia falsely stating that the department had evidence that could lead Georgia to rescind its certification of Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory in that key swing state.

The search at Mr. Clark’s home also came as a federal grand jury continued to issue subpoenas to at least eight people in four different states who were involved in a plan by Mr. Trump and his allies to subvert the normal workings of the electoral process by creating fake slates of pro-Trump electors in states that were actually won by Mr. Biden.

-----
Mr. Clark, who once served as the acting head of the Justice Department’s civil division, helped in late December 2020 to draft a letter to Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia stating — without evidence — that the Justice Department had identified “significant concerns” about the “outcome of the election” in Georgia and several other states. The letter advised Mr. Kemp, a Republican, to call a special session of his state’s legislature to create “a separate slate of electors supporting Donald J. Trump.”

Mr. Clark pressured the acting attorney general at the time, Jeffrey A. Rosen, to sign and send the letter to Mr. Kemp, but Mr. Rosen refused. Mr. Rosen is scheduled to testify before the House committee at its hearing on Thursday.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a big ol' thread on why you're both right and wrong, due to the "pivotal concurrence":

https://twitter.com/tommy_bennett/status/1539994235499429890

https://twitter.com/tommy_bennett/status/1539994245095907328

You're absolutely right because well, IIRC you're a lawyer and you're actually right. But I have you on "lol, law is fake" grounds, where all that matters here is how the Districts/Circuits end up interpreting this thing. That may trend to the whole opinion (the Thomas side, you win), but may also trend towards the Concurrence (Roberts/Kavanaugh, I win).

Hellworld dictates that you win. A lot of the smart legal folks are noting that the Districts/Circuits in situations like these end up making law decisions based on the Concurrence.

And this is how we make law in this country :toot:

The district courts and appellate courts are lousy with true believers who don't give a gently caress what a concurrence says. If Kav wanted to limit the majority, then the majority would be limited.

While, yes, courts may use it as guidance on how to interpret the majority, they are in no way bound to do so. There is no actual limit on Thomas' opinion. It is the controlling law of the nation, now.

To see a case where there is no fully controlling opinion and thus a shitshow where concurrences have some precedential power, see National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius where you have a majority opinion on only certain parts.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

How do Democrats not realize nobody wants some decorum poisoned geriatric piece of poo poo for president?

It's pathetic how terrified Democrats are of Republicans when they should be figuratively punching them in the face at every opportunity.

Escalating these kinds of issues over gun control would naturally lead to reprisals, such as ignoring the EPA or other burdensome federal regulations. It's really a non-starter for trying to reform anything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jurisprudence is looking more and more like some poo poo the Wizard of Oz warns you about while cranking out a Facebook rant opinion.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Sick burn, but if the goal in actual reality is to not have cops be huge racist chudfucks, wouldn't you want to attract a more professional force with professional level wages? Otherwise it IS just going to be Yokel Haram who think being able to beat on and shoot darkies is part of their total compensation package.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd bet almost anything that cops outearn a lot of government jobs that don't require a degree

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Cops frequently clear $100k after OT

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There are departments in smaller towns that don’t pay a living wage or don’t pay full time, but that’s still way down on the list of problems your constituency faces, Stacey.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1539767696027537408?s=20&t=iJbiM1RFwS3dCjHDdlwZlQ

Lowering a $5 average gas price /g by 3.6% is great for breathing room. Thanks Joe.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Naramyth posted:

Cops frequently clear $100k after OT

It is extremely location and job-dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Escalating these kinds of issues over gun control would naturally lead to reprisals, such as ignoring the EPA or other burdensome federal regulations. It's really a non-starter for trying to reform anything.

Right, better just to sit back and let Republicans keep taking a sledgehammer to the country and hope that one day maybe they'll play nice.