Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
This seems good:

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1539974683088412672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Oglethorpe posted:

is today the day

the suspense is killing me (but not my unborn baby!)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

good for him, being able to choose the method of death is very progressive and cool

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1539979772473839620

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Oglethorpe posted:

good for him, being able to choose the method of death is very progressive and cool

yeah I'd assume any challenge is going to get struck down anyway since didn't the scrotus say that the death penalty is constitutional

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
big day for the legitimacy of are institutes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

good, maybe foid cards in illinois can be next. a man can dream

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So this makes the entire country "shall issue" on CCW? Am I understanding that right?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mastershakeman posted:

good, maybe foid cards in illinois can be next. a man can dream

what's a foid card?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm a little fuzzy on what this means- seems like the evidence is still invalid but also the cops are immune to prosecution for illegally gathering evidence (a phrase which here means "coercing confessions")

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

spacemang_spliff posted:

what's a foid card?

firearms owners identification card. Have to fill out a form, pay a $10-11 processing fee, then waiting months or years for the illinois state police to process it. Expires after 10 years. Have to have one to buy a weapon or ammo, and i believe you have to physically have the card with you to physically carry the gun/ammo. Cases about its constitutionality are bouncing around in lower courts.

Also, the card can get revoked but there's no mechanism for surrendering weapons. One example was aurora, IL mass shooter who had a revoked FOID card but no one cared he still had his guns. It's basically just pointless paperwork that accomplishes nothing beyond delaying exercising a constitutional right

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
the sheer hypocrisy of aborting roe

fish lives matter

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

the sheer hypocrisy of aborting roe

fish lives matter

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziMZYm3wI0Y

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I think this is fine honestly, the idea of having to 'prove' your need is stupid, either ban guns or don't but making this weird tiered system where if you can jump through the right hoops like convincing someone in power you 'really' need the gun just serves to create an armed powered class and an unarmed serf class.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

*an octopus manipulating Brent Spiner's throat, slammed against the walls of an aquarium*

"Peaaaace, no peaaaace"

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
lmao they completely killed gun control lol. i’m gonna get an uzi

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShutteredIn posted:

hell yeah drop it down stairs like a slinky like in true lies

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ShutteredIn posted:

they're really going for broke
what's the right gonna rally against when they get all their policy poo poo

is that when they start dragging us into the streets?
what fresh new horrors await us

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ShutteredIn posted:

At first I was like “wait didn’t they only really affect 6 states though?” And then I read Thomas’ batshit new test for this stuff

Lmao it really is dead, a lot of people just don’t realize it yet

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

ShutteredIn posted:

are uzis considered handguns

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

One under rated but I think very possible new horror is public defenders. Lots of problems with the whole system being under resourced/under staffed and I can see a case working it’s way up that just gets rid of the right to an attorney if you’re indigent lol

Another one that’s on the horizon with that new Tennessee law making homelessness a felony is a circuit split between the ninth (Martin v Boise) and the sixth whenever the sixth says the Tennessee law is good to go

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Oglethorpe posted:

are uzis considered handguns

doesn’t matter, george washington would have wanted me to have it

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
So they're waiting until the 30th get that Roe V Wade decision out?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

So they're waiting until the 30th get that Roe V Wade decision out?

They're most likely going to do it on July 1st.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ShutteredIn posted:

legally it's the only handgun you're allowed to get now that it's illegal to not buy things from Israel.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

projecthalaxy posted:

So this makes the entire country "shall issue" on CCW? Am I understanding that right?

yes, although it won't affect the states that already have permitless carry, which is half of them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zerg Mans posted:

legally it's the only handgun you're allowed to get now that it's illegal to not buy things from Israel.

Isn't the Desert Eagle also Israeli

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

StashAugustine posted:

I'm a little fuzzy on what this means- seems like the evidence is still invalid but also the cops are immune to prosecution for illegally gathering evidence (a phrase which here means "coercing confessions")
Yeah, seems like an expansion of qualified immunity to officers that violate people's rights. Cool.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

quote:

A short prologue is in order. Even before the Civil War commenced in 1861, this Court indirectly affirmed the importance of the right to keep and bear arms in public. Writing for the Court in Dred Scott v. Sandford, 19 How. 393 (1857), Chief Justice Taney offered what he thought was a parade of horribles that would result from recognizing that free blacks were citizens of the United States. If blacks were citizens, Taney fretted, they would be entitled to the privileges and immunities of citizens, including the right “to keep and carry arms wherever they went.” Id., at 417 (emphasis added). Thus, even Chief Justice Taney recognized (albeit unenthusiastically in the case of blacks) that public carry was a component of the right to keep and bear arms—a right free blacks were often denied in antebellum America.

Justice Thomas citing Dred Scott in the gun control ruling is A+ trolling.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Tomorrow is the abortion ruling. Or next Thursday. Either way the long weekend is gonna be lit

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
surely the GOP won’t pass “regulation[s that are] consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition” to make sure only white chuds can have guns

definitely not something they would do once thomas gets replaced by a white fascist justice

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

our government is so fuckin dumb wowzers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

trans panic is the new culture war front

sexpig by night posted:

I think this is fine honestly, the idea of having to 'prove' your need is stupid, either ban guns or don't but making this weird tiered system where if you can jump through the right hoops like convincing someone in power you 'really' need the gun just serves to create an armed powered class and an unarmed serf class.

The states were doing tests and licenses because the court had already repealed their blanket bans

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Hell yeah I'm going to get a few MAC-10s and walk around everywhere cosplaying Miami Vice characters

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh crap I don’t know how but I posted in the d&d court thread thinking I was here because apparently I’m blind and an idiot but lol that’s a relief that this thread hasn’t devolved into arguments over whether “arms” includes guns or “militia” means all people because none of that poo poo matters

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just can't imagine caring about gun control when it's so clear the whole 'WHY DOES IT ONLY HAPPEN HERE' poo poo is way more complex than just 'it's too easy to get a gun' and if we fixed things like our collapsed mental health system, complete lack of economic future for multiple generations, and general cultural freefall as the most regressive and reactionary voices are praised that'd probably do more than make sure only police and the wealthy had the guns that go brrrr

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Subvisual Haze posted:

Justice Thomas citing Dred Scott in the gun control ruling is A+ trolling.

vile vile vile

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I just can't imagine caring about gun control when it's so clear the whole 'WHY DOES IT ONLY HAPPEN HERE' poo poo is way more complex than just 'it's too easy to get a gun' and if we fixed things like our collapsed mental health system, complete lack of economic future for multiple generations, and general cultural freefall as the most regressive and reactionary voices are praised that'd probably do more than make sure only police and the wealthy had the guns that go brrrr

I hear ya but that poster is being exceedingly tedious to the point I can’t even figure out what they’re trying to prove. “I demand you provide evidence that guns are arms…”

“Dude everyone knows they are, what are you trying to accomplish here?”

“I am relying on d&d rules 1.7 and 1.8 to demand you prove arms include guns”

:obama:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wow i can't believe d&d is bad, can you tell me more about this startling new discovery