Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

welcome to the second attempt at a supreme court thread this one being more helpfully titled [Supreme Court] rather than [Judiciary] to hopefully sound more interesting so technically talking about the other lesser courts is off topic now and we wouldnt want that in cspam now would we since we all love THE RULES so much

a brief recap of where we are in supreme court takes

1986: ANTONIN SCALIA starts serving on the court and makes a reputation for himself as an rear end in a top hat pedant who cares more about sounding smart than whether his takes make any kind of logical sense compared to each other this is that famous constitutional originalism youve heard so much about

1991: some rear end in a top hat goes out of his way to make sure CLARENCE THOMAS gets appointed to the supreme court thankfully this boneheaded move sank any chance he would ever be important again

1993: RUTH BADER GINSBURG is appointed to the court then gets a dedicated cult of personality for some reason later dies shortly after officating a covid infected wedding btw its a wacky conspiracy theory to suggest these two events had anything to do with each other

1994: STEPHEN BREYER is appointed to the supreme court and decides the job is so fun he only reluctantly retires when his best bud ruth bader ginsburg dies officiating a covid infected wedding

2005: JOHN ROBERTS jumps the line from regular justice to chief justice because the chief justice died while the senate was deliberating his appointment and it was too much work to try to do another confirmation hearing gosh good thing that didnt become an ominous portent of future senate behavior

2006: SAMUEL ALITO joins the court and is so terrible and stupid and boring i cant even think of anything interesting to say about him

2009: SONIA SOTOMAYOR is appointed to the court gets a lot of flack for her wise latina statements but has for the most part just been ruth bader ginsburg without the cult of personality

2010: ELENA KAGAN is appointed to the court and probably isnt as terrible and stupid as alito but is about as boring and i cant think of much to say about her either

2017: NEIL GORSUCH joins the court thanks to trump evilly stealing the appointment that obama rightfully earned by assassinating scalia

2018: BRETT KAVANAUGH joins the court despite being a drunken rapist and also despite the fact that key democrats knew months in advance that he was a drunk rapist and just didnt really think it was worth getting in a tizzy over until the nomination hearings started

2020: thanks to some dumb idiot dying after officiating a covid infected wedding AMY CONET BARRETT joins the court a privilege trump rightfully earned because he unleashed covid on the world solely to try and murder ruth bader ginsburg

2022: stephen breyer decides to gently caress off and this will probably result in KETANJI BROWN JACKSON joining the supreme court and we know shes going to be good because at least one republican will vote for her

oh yeah and thomas did a completely meaningless january sixth adjacent vote that affected nothing but the libs are all in a tizzy about it because apparently his wife did something in regards to january sixth i am expecting very serious consequences from this which is why i made that aoc tweet the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

yeah sure but, lol

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Are there any justices on the outs besides the one being replaced with KBJ?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
according to ALAB Kagan allowed the Dersh to use the university blog to spread likes about norm finkelstein

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

what useless thing did thomas do? the non-recusal thing?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg served more than two decades on the US Supreme Court, developed a rock star status and drew standing ovations when she spoke in public. Now the late “Notorious R.B.G.” will add another entry to her long list of accomplishments.

The Navy will name a ship after her.

On the final day of women’s history month, the Navy announced that the USNS Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be a John Lewis-class replenishment oiler ship, designated T-AO 212.

“It is my absolute honor to name the next replenishment oiler after the Honorable Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” said Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro in a statement. “She is a historic figure who vigorously advocated for women’s rights and gender equality.”

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Are there any justices on the outs besides the one being replaced with KBJ?

With Breyer gone we’re going to have a court without an octogenarian on it for the first time since I want to say John Paul Stevens retired but Ginsburg might have been a few years shy of 80 in 2010 I don’t feel like looking it up. Regardless, Clarence Thomas is the old man of the court now at 73

Anyway, Thomas is your best bet for the next possible seat to flip from far right back to center right. Alito’s the same age but he’s probably going to strategically retire. I think Thomas is going to do a Ginsburg and die on the court

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Apr 1, 2022

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

On the final day of women’s history month, the Navy announced that the USNS Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be a John Lewis-class replenishment oiler ship, designated T-AO 212.

lmfao, the military hates these drat libs.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

With Breyer gone we’re going to have a court without an octogenarian on it for the first time since I want to say John Paul Stevens retired but Ginsburg might have been a few years shy of 80 in 2010 I don’t feel like looking it up. Regardless, Clarence Thomas is the old man of the court now at 73

Anyway, Thomas is your best bet for the next possible seat to flip from far right back to center right. Alito’s the same age but he’s probably going to strategically retire. I think Thomas is going to do a Ginsburg and die on the court

When you say center-right, you mean democrat, right? Not arguing with you or anything, I don't follow any judges/possible replacements/the democrat judge replacement strategy.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
SCOTUS Dream Team:

Mr. T
Scatman John
Metta Sandford-Artest
Gertrude Stein
Mick Foley
Werner Herzog
Miss Frizzle
Huell Howser
Pigeon lady from Home Alone 2

I do not care who is ineligible

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

lmfao, the military hates these drat libs.

When you say center-right, you mean democrat, right? Not arguing with you or anything, I don't follow any judges/possible replacements/the democrat judge replacement strategy.

Yeah

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

ah, thanks. :(

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Vox Nihili posted:

The late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg served more than two decades on the US Supreme Court, developed a rock star status and drew standing ovations when she spoke in public. Now the late “Notorious R.B.G.” will add another entry to her long list of accomplishments.

“It is my absolute honor to name the next replenishment oiler after the Honorable Ruth Bader Ginsburg,” said Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro in a statement. “She is a historic figure who vigorously advocated for women’s rights and gender equality.”

:lmao:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It should have been a judgeship

You’re welcome

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im saint germain posted:

Mick Foley
Miss Frizzle
Pigeon lady from Home Alone 2

honing in on your type

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

starting to think that this system of government designed by slave-owning aristocrats might have some flaws

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

haha nice try theres no such thing as a ship class named after john lewis thats completely insane now to take a long sip of coffee while i run an internet search just to be sure

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

The Saucer Hovers posted:

honing in on your type

i just want judges who want people to Have a Nice Day

edit: ok Gertrude Stein may not care about that, but her written statements would be incredible.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Marzzle posted:

what useless thing did thomas do? the non-recusal thing?

yeah and also his wife is guilty of sedition

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

judges today are too lazy, they all subcontract out their second and third jobs as jury and executioner, and the people they hire to fill in for them as jury they hardly pay anything

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bored Online posted:

according to ALAB Kagan allowed the Dersh to use the university blog to spread likes about norm finkelstein

that was nice of her :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Supreme Court question:

is there any actual ruling on Clarence Thomas's gimmick of not speaking at all during supreme court hearings? I assume there's nothing stopping him from doing that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hes said that he thinks oral arguments are stupid and a waste of time and he wouldnt even do them at all if they werent a requirement of the job

and hes probably right the main thing that happens there is the press trying to figure out how the justices will vote based on the questions they ask oral arguments dont appear to actually change anyones mind

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there any actual ruling on Clarence Thomas's gimmick of not speaking at all during supreme court hearings? I assume there's nothing stopping him from doing that

yeah it doesn't matter at all and oral arguments are pretty useless anyway because all the real arguments are made in written form and the justices probably all know how they're going to vote ahead of time on 99% of cases anyway no matter what written or oral arguments say

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

the Supreme Court shouldnt exist unless we could somehow stuff it full of communists

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Typical leftist trying to get rid of the black man in an interracial marriage, how progressive

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

clarence thomas's wife seems uhhh pretty bad

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

Typical leftist trying to get rid of the black man in an interracial marriage, how progressive

the libs are going to do this unironically once anyone criticizes jacksons husband for literally any reason lol

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I am a Gamer and as such I only understand the world through video game analogies. This is because I am a Gamer. Anyway, I’d like to point out that John Robert’s build as a Chief Justice was significantly nerfed by the October 2020 patch with the addition of the Radical Catholic Ideologue to the court.

I understand that they are now patching the court again to add an Establishment Democrat option but it seems unlikely to add much balance.

Thoughts?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I am a Gamer and as such I only understand the world through video game analogies. This is because I am a Gamer. Anyway, I’d like to point out that John Robert’s build as a Chief Justice was significantly nerfed by the October 2020 patch with the addition of the Radical Catholic Ideologue to the court.

I understand that they are now patching the court again to add an Establishment Democrat option but it seems unlikely to add much balance.

Thoughts?

so you're thinking about it all wrong

the supreme court is an RTS. it may look like it's a turn-based game, but you'd be wrong and when i explain it, you'll slap your forehead and say 'of course!'

the republicans have been trying to play a macro game for decades, where they built lots of production and got a bunch of resources and basically have a shitton of spare judges ready to go, so as soon as one of the judges croaks, the republicans can have like 50 choices on the bench ready to go

the democrats won like one or two significant engagements with superior micro and then have been coasting on that

combine this with the hold position lurkers that the GOP has in the senate, and the democrats can maybe get one or two vultures through before the GOP actually decides to go take the democrat main and win

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

redneck nazgul posted:

so you're thinking about it all wrong

the supreme court is an RTS. it may look like it's a turn-based game, but you'd be wrong and when i explain it, you'll slap your forehead and say 'of course!'

the republicans have been trying to play a macro game for decades, where they built lots of production and got a bunch of resources and basically have a shitton of spare judges ready to go, so as soon as one of the judges croaks, the republicans can have like 50 choices on the bench ready to go

the democrats won like one or two significant engagements with superior micro and then have been coasting on that

combine this with the hold position lurkers that the GOP has in the senate, and the democrats can maybe get one or two vultures through before the GOP actually decides to go take the democrat main and win

Wow. That makes sense. It seems like the democrats should have been more willing to respec some of their more high level legacy units rather than holding onto them and letting them die when the “officiate a wedding during a pandemic” event procced

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

As others pointed out it didn't actually matter (although it is a "bad look") and also he started occasionally speaking at them a couple years back

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

because everyone was sad that scalia died it was very heartwarming

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

speaking of potentially heartwarming news

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpecialPuppy1/status/1509932322442862592

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gently caress you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Holy poo poo! Looks like he's toast

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Clarence Thomas not talking during oral arguments is one of the few things he was right about

I think he talks more now though.

well, at least when he's at a hearing and not dying in a hospital

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

He totally has the rona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Clarence Thomas not talking during oral arguments is one of the few things he was right about

I think he talks more now though.

well, at least when he's at a hearing and not dying in a hospital

Also he tends to draw his clerks from non-elite institutions or at least he used to. It’s been a while so maybe that’s more common for other justices now but for a while I believe he was the only one not pulling the majority from Harvard and Yale and Stanford and such

Also lmao get hosed Thomas