Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

infernal machines posted:

tbh, i don't know anything about winnipeg, so i assumed that's who was sponsoring whatever it is you're all talking about

OV = Osborne Village, middle of Winnipeg

The thread locals seem to have it right, was pretty cool and chill until gentrification started hitting hard and looks more preoccupied with building condos and no parking signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's not so much the condos it's one scummy landlord seeing dollar signs buying up a shitload of real estate and jacking up rents on all his commercial tennants.

That combined with crime in the area skyrocketing because of huge homeless encampments and indifference in all levels of government and now a lot of people including myself tend to avoid the area more often than not.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao

https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1539305811251453957?s=20&t=GHTmWHaow_YJ0ZQjfOWKgw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

my childhood is littered with those beer caps

same. something about OV seemed to lend itself to drinking in parks, parking lots, and small wooded areas in the 80s/90s

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

All this OV talk

the poo poo king

My dad drank OV in the 80s and I can't believe I never knew or even thought about what OV stood for until this very moment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

this thread...

https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1539286659476475912?s=20&t=z7fMIXN2n19Wt31fSovxkA

jesus christ

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

rcmp aren’t good with identifying where dead children are

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

Mass Residential Cat Gravesites

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

tbh, i don't know anything about winnipeg, so i assumed that's who was sponsoring whatever it is you're all talking about

The village is entirely restaurants, local small retail shops, and bars/clubs. How they can't make money on a day where a quarter of the city stops by is pretty baffling. Maybe they are getting screwed by the city somehow probably pretty likely actually.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

I get the part where she wanted them to specify types of weapons to help push gun control but I don't understand why they refused to give the number of victims out? Only talking about a mountie getting killed then slowly revealing an increasing body count seems counterintuitive to the goal of pushing for gun control.

e: on re-read it seems like the two are unrelated and the hosed up victim numbers were more an incompetence/pissing match issue between NS rcmp and the rcmp heads

ghosthorse has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Jun 21, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
yeah I think they're unrelated (other than both being under the umbrella of rcmp ineptitude)

also seems a bit unhinged to be all "gently caress your investigation, we've got irrelevant legislation to not pass!". unless you're saying you see the logic as a craven federal politician, in which case yep

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Oct 29, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

we’re just being lazy

e: lz

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Math You posted:

Is there a primer on how "giving the land back" is supposed to work? I hear it a lot and never an explanation of which land and how that looks. It honestly sounds pretty stupid to me and I'm 100 percent behind actually putting $$ to reconciliation. I will happily admit that I'm not particularly steeped in knowledge on this subject, and my ignorance is my own, but if generally well meaning individuals are in the dark on this subject it doesn't speak well for the messaging.

I take it no one ITT has given away their land?

Fortunately there are legal documents known as "treaties" that spell out exactly how this works should the government ever decide to obey the law.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Longtime resident and have never heard this abbreviation used in conversation (or online), ever

I just looked it up, made sense to me but there could be other things abbreviated OV to do with Winnipeg I could have missed.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/bkives/status/1539407901823062016?s=20&t=tpeDhd5F0n3zq30lvW7Mww

murray isnt perfect but hes probably more competent than the current clown car full of candidates

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Murray doesn’t want to make another bid for the Green Party job?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That Shaun Loney guy sounds okay? but I haven't followed too closely.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

pokeyman posted:

also seems a bit unhinged to be all "gently caress your investigation, we've got irrelevant legislation to not pass!". unless you're saying you see the logic as a craven federal politician, in which case yep

Yeah I meant I could follow the path of "specify guns used->our law targets those->liberals look good" as a horrible political win kind of move from someone in that position. All the rest of the article seemed counterintuitive to that goal, but that's probably the rcmp being bad at their jobs instead of being purposefully bad at their jobs for political reasons.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

what ever happened to the testicle breathing guy?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's future PM testicle breathing guy for you eh

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

if the queen of canada is cool with it then so am i

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
LOL at everyone referring to Osborne Village as OV :wtc:

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I've been calling it "the OV"

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Normy posted:

I've been calling it "the OV"

don't call it that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i will call it "the OV" now that i know that's the preferred nomenclature

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

ColdBlooded posted:

LOL at everyone referring to Osborne Village as OV :wtc:

yeah I've never heard of this and I lived there for several years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If anything it's just "The Village" to anyone here. Not many people really say Osborne at all. But then again no one I know goes anymore compared to like... a decade or so ago? We'd go after work to G-Martini for some overpriced drinks, get some sushi maybe and then go from there. Or other nights at the Toad. Lunch times spent at Spicy Noodle House.

But hosed if I'll even contemplate going compared to everywhere else in the city with better offerings.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
it's kind of lovely nowadays. for me it all went downhill when they demolished Vi-Ann and Movie Village to build that pointless shopper's drug mart. and lol at just having a massive hole in the ground where the hotel was for ages.

it used to be a cool place to live, and was quite affordable for students. my partner and I had a 2 bedroom for like $700 a month that was pretty decent. at night you could look out your window and watch people drag couches into the alley and light them on fire. or you could just sit back and enjoy the literal dumpster fires.

did anybody ever go to that singles night thing they did at the safeway? that was pretty amusing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is there any place on earth that has ever been improved with the addition of a shoppers drug mart?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Karach posted:

it all went downhill when they build that pointless shopper's drug mart.

Many such stories

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

is there any place on earth that has ever been improved with the addition of a shoppers drug mart?

Galen Weston is the light that shines on all, brother

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

the giant hole in the ground just down the street provided more community services than the shoppers does

found the article about safeway singles night. the best part was the catering staff circulating with trays of deli meat and cheese cubes. and what a headline.

quote:

Safeway singles night turns Winnipeg store into meet market
CBC News · Posted: Mar 03, 2015 11:50 AM CT

Hundreds of Winnipeggers strolled the aisles of the Osborne Village Safeway store on Tuesday evening, milking the opportunity to pick up some groceries and maybe some dates.

Singles Night at Safeway attracted shoppers to the River Avenue and Osborne Street store starting at 7 p.m. More than 1,200 people had indicated on a Facebook page for the event that they would attend.

"Looks like more people are coming in the door every second," said Lucas Andrich, who co-organized the event. "I'm happy I'm not the only one here."

Singles were asked to tie a produce bag to their shopping cart or basket — a green bag for same-sex matches, and red for heterosexual matches — to let others know they were approachable.

A DJ played music and door prizes were offered. As well, Winnipeg Harvest staff accepted donations for the food bank.

Among those who came to the event was Todd Hamin, who was not overly optimistic about finding a new girlfriend in the grocery store aisles.

"I don't think I'll meet anyone," he said. "I guess you never know."

Accompanying Hamin were his 11-year-old twin daughters, Grace and Mackenzie, who were even less hopeful about their father's chances.

"I think he should forget about it," Mackenzie said with a laugh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

loving brutal own by the man's own children.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Shoppers drug Mart is a decent gentrification bellwether

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

skewetoo posted:

Shoppers drug Mart is a decent gentrification bellwether

Really? I've lived in some of the more lovely parts of Toronto and Hamilton (Dawes and Danforth in Toronto and Main and Wentworthish in Hamilton) and we had nearby Shoppers at both. I think they're just omnipresent.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

enki42 posted:

Really? I've lived in some of the more lovely parts of Toronto and Hamilton (Dawes and Danforth in Toronto and Main and Wentworthish in Hamilton) and we had nearby Shoppers at both. I think they're just omnipresent.

I was just thinking of a specific out of place location in parkdale but you’re right. they’re ubiquitous. the real gentrification bellwether is the closure of galaxy donuts

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Karach posted:

the giant hole in the ground just down the street provided more community services than the shoppers does

Any day that hole will be the much talked about water park. Just needs 10-15 more years of being a hole

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Karach posted:

found the article about safeway singles night. the best part was the catering staff circulating with trays of deli meat and cheese cubes. and what a headline.

honestly this kinda owns, gently caress yeah its an attempt in an increasingly hostile world to finding people except via apps, less so about the sponsored by safeway part but whatever roam the aisles with your green flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

skewetoo posted:

I was just thinking of a specific out of place location in parkdale but you’re right. they’re ubiquitous. the real gentrification bellwether is the closure of galaxy donuts

:rip:

isn't it a little caribbean place now though?