Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So if enough of start casually carrying full auto weapons, the ban will be unconstitutional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Not a lawyer so I might be missing something, but I get the vaguest of feelings that the argument they're using here has been applied to other decisions, shall we say, somewhat inconsistently? Selectively?

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Devorum posted:

There's no constitutional right to concealed carry, and no one would have argued otherwise prior to the NRA revising 2A history over the last 50 years.

Americans have the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, whether its open or concealed is up to the bearer.

Bel Shazar posted:

What good reasons are those at this point?

To enshrine rights so that they can't easily be changed by a small majority!

Sub Par posted:

I understand and disagree with this but the main point to make is that this case isn't just about CCW. It's about the types of restrictions government can place on gun ownership and use generally and which tests should be used to determine whether those restrictions are valid. CCW is the context of this particular case, but the whole point here is to abstract out some principles. That's why the stats Breyer is quoting are germane to his argument.

The state can still put requirements on CCW, but it just has to be fairly applied to everyone so that all citizens have rights. If this case was about the state trying to ban AR-15s or all handguns then maybe Breyer's stats on gun violence would be relevant, but not here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
How long is it going to take before someone brings a case to the court that machine guns are a constitutionally guaranteed right based on this jurisprudence?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hand grenades existed in wig-and-stocking times, it should be legal to sell 'em next to the chicken wings and carry them on the sidewalk.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

rscott posted:

How long is it going to take before someone brings a case to the court that machine guns are a constitutionally guaranteed right based on this jurisprudence?
That’s different because of ~reasons~, even though machine guns are an important thing for any militia to have.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Yeah, I'm wondering how they engage with stuff like the Hughes Amendment now. It seems like they've got the votes to start chipping away at the list of presumptively constitutional restrictions that Scalia gave in Heller. (Restrictions on carrying "Dangerous and unusual" weapons were one of those. So were concealed carry restrictions.)

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

The state can still put requirements on CCW, but it just has to be fairly applied to everyone so that all citizens have rights. If this case was about the state trying to ban AR-15s or all handguns then maybe Breyer's stats on gun violence would be relevant, but not here.

You are making the argument you want to make and not responding to the argument others are making. The part I bolded may be your preferred policy outcome, but it is not at all the test that Thomas gives for the constitutionality of a restriction on firearms in the opinion.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

5 people are about to strip rights away from half the population, the constitution isn't worth poo poo.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Republicans have only won the popular vote once in 30 years. Abortion has majority support.

Yet, the Republicans on SCOTUS are about to remove abortion rights.

How is that not a minority population changing rights?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 23, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

5 people are about to strip rights away from half the population, the constitution isn't worth poo poo.

Six people.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Oracle posted:

Six people.

Oh sorry I thought Roberts was dissenting.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Oracle posted:

Six people.

Bel Shazar posted:

Oh sorry I thought Roberts was dissenting.

It's unknown at this time if Roberts is or is not dissenting, but even if he does dissent his preferred opinion would also pretty much kill abortion rights it would just do so slightly less blatantly (it would effectively be "you can put basically any level of restrictions on abortion as long as it isn't technically entirely illegal")

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Americans have the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, whether its open or concealed is up to the bearer.

This is untrue in both text and in practice. Laws against concealed weapons have a long history, including in America under the people who wrote the 2A.

Pure NRA revisionism.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering how they engage with stuff like the Hughes Amendment now. It seems like they've got the votes to start chipping away at the list of presumptively constitutional restrictions that Scalia gave in Heller. (Restrictions on carrying "Dangerous and unusual" weapons were one of those. So were concealed carry restrictions.)

You are making the argument you want to make and not responding to the argument others are making. The part I bolded may be your preferred policy outcome, but it is not at all the test that Thomas gives for the constitutionality of a restriction on firearms in the opinion.

All of the justices stated that restrictions, regulation and licensing is allowed; Kav and Roberts specifically concurred in a separate opinion to reiterate that fact. They just need to be objectively applied to everyone. Other impacts from future cases need to be judged on a case by case basis.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

All of the justices stated that restrictions, regulation and licensing is allowed; Kav and Roberts specifically concurred in a separate opinion to reiterate that fact. They just need to be objectively applied to everyone. Other impacts from future cases need to be judged on a case by case basis.

Neofeudalist opinion isn't something to build your worldview upon.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Yes we know you're pretending to be stupid and not actually understanding the actual outcome of opinion.
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1539983073806270471

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What is the history and tradition of Supreme Court rulings regarding black people having rights white men were bound to respect Clarence

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Crows Turn Off posted:

Republicans haven't won the popular vote in 30 years.

I think the stat you mean is "have only once".

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Since it's relevant to the conversation, here's the chunk of the Heller syllabus where it summarizes what restrictions are presumptively constitutional:

quote:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.

Of note here for purposes of things like the Hughes Amendment, possession is distinguished here from carrying, and manufacture is not the same thing as commercial sale. (e: while the syllabus doesn't explicitly say these are presumptively lawful, Scalia puts that in a footnote later on.)

You still didn't reply to what I said, which is that while the bolded part may be your preferred outcome, it is not the test that Thomas indicates is used to evaluate the constitutionality of a restriction on firearms.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 23, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Republicans haven't won the popular vote in 30 years. Abortion has majority support.

Yet, the Republicans on SCOTUS are about to remove abortion rights.

How is that not a minority population changing rights?

You misunderstand. Majorities changing rights is bad, but so long as less than 50% of the population supports the change it’s fine.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Stickman posted:

You misunderstand. Majorities changing rights is bad, but so long as less than 50% of the population supports the change it’s fine.

Only one type of minority matters (it's the rich, even the evangelicals are just useful idiots)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So, objectively, they struck down may issue and increased the level of scrutiny on 2A violations. Not far enough, but about what I expected.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fuschia tude posted:

Amendment II

Can you quote the part that mentions them?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jaxyon posted:

Can you quote the part that mentions them?

quote:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

keep is own/possess and bear means carry. Its a complicated sentence.

Bel Shazar posted:

No, 5/6 people are going to hand it back to the states, who's state legislatures have or are going to vote to protect the lives of babies.

And realistically, women in those states are still going to have abortions. The meds are easy to obtain, and travel is cheap.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 23, 2022

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

ilkhan posted:

The meds are easy to obtain, and travel is cheap.
Your privilege is showing.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

ilkhan posted:

No, 5/6 people are going to hand it back to the states, who's state legislatures have or are going to vote to protect the lives of babies.

And realistically, women in those states are still going to have abortions. The meds are easy to obtain, and travel is cheap.

Yes, the court is about to take the right away from women and turn it over to male dominated state legislatures. I feel like you are trying to disagree with me and instead you confirmed my statement.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bel Shazar posted:

It's worth remembering that the Supreme Court are the ones who created that right in the first place. Same goes for things like Bivens and Miranda. Relying too heavily on the courts to create policy was going to backfire sooner or later, and the right spent the last fifty years actively working to take over the judicial branches precisely because the courts were having such a huge impact on policy.

Proust Malone posted:

What is the history and tradition of Supreme Court rulings regarding black people having rights white men were bound to respect Clarence

Pretty bad, which is part of why Congress amended the Constitution to (among other things) overturn a particularly bad Supreme Court ruling. They weren't bound to just sit back and take it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ilkhan posted:

The meds are easy to obtain, and travel is cheap.

This is a patently absurd statement. The only reason why the meds are easy to obtain is due to volunteer organizations shipping them all over the country, in a move that several states are pushing to make illegal. And travel is *very* expensive for low income people. The cheaper the method the longer it takes, which is lost hours or lost jobs in income they cannot afford. This is the whole point of the access question of abortion, *because* it is an unreasonable burden.

moose47
Oct 11, 2006

ilkhan posted:

So, objectively, they struck down may issue and increased the level of scrutiny on 2A violations. Not far enough, but about what I expected.

I sincerely want to know what an opinion that went "far enough" would look like. States can't pass laws containing the word "gun"? This isn't a typical Roberts wishy-washy chipping away at rights kind of decision. It's a full-throated win for the NRA and its ilk.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

It's worth remembering that the Supreme Court are the ones who created that right in the first place. Same goes for things like Bivens and Miranda. Relying too heavily on the courts to create policy was going to backfire sooner or later, and the right spent the last fifty years actively working to take over the judicial branches precisely because the courts were having such a huge impact on policy.

Pretty bad, which is part of why Congress amended the Constitution to (among other things) overturn a particularly bad Supreme Court ruling. They weren't bound to just sit back and take it.

The 9th amendment and the history of abortion suggest that the court only confirmed what already existed and stopped the government from infringing on it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Even if you believe the assumption that abortion drugs are easy to get, there is still the risk of any women who is taking the drug being subject to criminal penalties, no matter how remote the possibility of them getting caught actually is. Government's shouldn't strip and criminalise essential reproductive rights and choices from people. That's not even counting the privacy violation of a women being investigated for having a miscarriage or whatever.

I wouldn't even say that criminal penalties area remote risk at this point, who knows how vigilant some of these crazy right wing state governments will be in enforcing these new laws.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

It's worth remembering that the Supreme Court are the ones who created that right in the first place. Same goes for things like Bivens and Miranda.
That is not how that works.

quote:

Relying too heavily on the courts to create policy was going to backfire sooner or later, and the right spent the last fifty years actively working to take over the judicial branches precisely because the courts were having such a huge impact on policy.
Cool. Looks to me like the court ruling protected it for the last fifty years. Requiring Congress to pass it as a law instead means it would last, what, an election or two before the other party takes power and repeals it? And that's even assuming said court doesn't just say "no not like that" and strike down the whole thing anyway.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Women are already being tried for murder for miscarriages. The cases are only sometimes dropped

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monaghan posted:

Even if you believe the assumption that abortion drugs are easy to get, there is still the risk of any women who is taking the drug being subject to criminal penalties, no matter how remote the possibility of them getting caught actually is. Government's shouldn't strip and criminalise essential reproductive rights and choices from people. That's not even counting the privacy violation of a women being investigated for having a miscarriage or whatever.

I wouldn't even say that criminal penalties area remote risk at this point, who knows how vigilant some of these crazy right wing state governments will be in enforcing these new laws.

It is inevitable at this point that a red state demands extradition of a blue state resident who obtained or facilitated an abortion, and there's a nonzero chance the court will rule that this must happen. Who knows where we go from there but none of the options are good

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

ilkhan posted:

You might want to double check that one because that's only for those with the privilege of doing so. Lot of folks can't afford to travel out of state or take the time off. This isn't even getting into the laws around suing people for having abortions when others in the family do not approve.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ilkhan posted:

You know you can just say that you believe that women having access to reproductive care is bad and should be banned. Cheerleading states criminalizing care and then turning around and pretending it’s okay because they can just surmount the barriers that you believe are correctly placed to prevent the thing you think should be illegal is just rank patronizing bullshit.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Travel is extremely cheap in the us - in many countries, such as in Europe, gas is north of $10 a gallon. Saying travel in the us is too expensive is an insanely privileged take.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Being incredibly pedantic, that specifies the right to bear arms. Whether the right to bear arms is contingent on being part of a well-regulated militia is debatable. What is also debatable is what arms are, in fact, arms.

You could easily rule that as long as someone is able to bear arms of some kind, their rights are protected. Their right to a gun is nowhere mentioned.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ellasmith posted:

Travel is extremely cheap in the us - in many countries, such as in Europe, gas is north of $10 a gallon. Saying travel in the us is too expensive is an insanely privileged take.

Hmmm yes I'm sure that's the only difference. :jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ellasmith posted:

The gas to travel in the US is very cheap but the time to travel is very expensive. Often more than someone can afford, especially if they have to travel to another state. And that's not even counting that their home state may take measures specifically intended to stop pregnant people from traveling.