Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

okay but the look groot and rocket give each other, that is the cutest loving thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I'm going to second what everyone else has said; this game looks beautiful. But the combat looks very tedious. The weapons either don't seem to do enough damage, or the enemies are all bullet-sponges, but something doesn't feel right. Or maybe it's too chaotic. But I stick around for the other moments, when they're all just moving around the levels talking. Or when you're solving puzzles, in which case they're still talking.

Oh man, but that dream sequence! What a punch to the gut! That's thoroughly horrific.

It's pretty much the opposite of Dead Space 3. I like the looks of the gameplay and combat in Dead Space 3, but by golly does it all go down the tubes whenever the characters open their mouths.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think I'll set the damage to Very High for the next recording session and see how that works.

While the bit at the end of the last episode was pretty much as bad as the combat gets in this game (mainly because we only had Drax and Groot with us while Rocket was doing his thing and Gamora was hunting Raker), there is definitely still some sponginess going on even with the damage increased to High as it is now. I went with High because I was worried Very High would make the combat go by too quickly, but I guess we'll find out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think the sponginess is partly because your main method of attack has no weight.
In terms of attacks Youre locking on to an enemy, holding a button and waiting for their bar to drop while they barely react.

Compare to GoW 2018, which im pretty sure inspired a lot of this game, where the weight of your attacks is clearly shown. Enemies gets pushed back, kratos has big sweeping movements, the closeness of the camera exaggerates the animations etc etc.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

painedforever posted:

I'm going to second what everyone else has said; this game looks beautiful. But the combat looks very tedious. The weapons either don't seem to do enough damage, or the enemies are all bullet-sponges, but something doesn't feel right. Or maybe it's too chaotic. But I stick around for the other moments, when they're all just moving around the levels talking. Or when you're solving puzzles, in which case they're still talking.

Oh man, but that dream sequence! What a punch to the gut! That's thoroughly horrific.

It's pretty much the opposite of Dead Space 3. I like the looks of the gameplay and combat in Dead Space 3, but by golly does it all go down the tubes whenever the characters open their mouths.

A huge part of the game damage is locked behind the guardian combos system, where using them in the right orders causes enemies to take 2/3/4/5x damage per each guardian correctly used.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

A huge part of the game damage is locked behind the guardian combos system, where using them in the right orders causes enemies to take 2/3/4/5x damage per each guardian correctly used.
Yeah, the idea is that you're supposed to be stacking damage multipliers and making use of stagger abilities to pull off the big damage, which we obviously couldn't do very much of in that last fight because having only Drax and Groot meant lower multipliers and way more waiting for cooldowns. I probably should be using Star-Lord's abilities more often as well.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Yeah, the idea is that you're supposed to be stacking damage multipliers and making use of stagger abilities to pull off the big damage, which we obviously couldn't do very much of in that last fight because having only Drax and Groot meant lower multipliers and way more waiting for cooldowns. I probably should be using Star-Lord's abilities more often as well.

Right, okay.

So, is it fun to play? I can see that the walking around and talking bits are entertaining, rather more like an interactive movie than a game, and it's so beautiful to look at. I'd be willing to just sit there with the controller set down just so I can listen to your teammates talking continuously (there's so much dialogue!).

The combat looks hectic and noisy and chaotic. Is it button-mashy?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

painedforever posted:

Right, okay.

So, is it fun to play? I can see that the walking around and talking bits are entertaining, rather more like an interactive movie than a game, and it's so beautiful to look at. I'd be willing to just sit there with the controller set down just so I can listen to your teammates talking continuously (there's so much dialogue!).

Actually playing the combat can be fun. It feels a bit long at times, but there ist so much happening and so much banter that it passes quite quickly. Some enemies have too much health though.
But the combat is definitely the weakest part of the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

Right, okay.

I quite like playing the combat bits, at least when you have a full team and some skills to play with so you can pull off big damage multipliers and team combos. It's not particularly button-mashy, more about timing as you try to use each Guardian's abilities at the right time while dodging enemy attacks. I'm probably dodge-dashing way too much because I just like doing it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Don't feel bad about kicking down to easy mode when you start to get tired of dealing with the fights. The game backloads a ton of combat on the last couple chapters and I think it's worse off for it.

At a certain point I felt I've mastered the combat system and the fights are no longer a challenge, but instead they're just tossing a wall between me and the end of the rather compelling story. The last leg has entirely too much combat between story beats, but those story beats are well worth the slog.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 15: Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Welp, the galaxy might be a bit screwed and could use some guarding, but is anyone actually up for the job?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I am Groot!

Loose translation- Dude, we’re gardeners, not guardians! Stop picking on us!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hahaha welp!!!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Great conversations in this update, especially in relation to Nova lore and Groot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh gently caress. :stonk:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Felinoid posted:

I was sincerely worried that entire episode that he had actually succumbed and would turn on the crew at a pivotal moment. I'm a little reassured by some of the conversations the group's had about it, as they showed he does know it was a fantasy, but I'm not fully convinced he won't still decide to give in later.

Well heck.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Dang yo

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yep, that's bad, especially in light of the dream we just had. If we're relatively lucky, maybe everyone else got sucked in too so we're already gonna be right where we need to be to eventually free Nikki and punch Raker's face in. Hopefully at least Drax hasn't offed everyone else before waking up Quill.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah, Drax succumbing was inevitable. Still fun though. Just because something is foreshadowed doesn't mean it's badly done.

Gamora singing along was funny. She is so off-key though. I love that the Llama complains about it.

... is the llama going to be a thing? Please tell me it'll be a thing, and not just a red herring. I hate it when games give you this choice, and one of them does nothing but screw you up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

painedforever posted:

Yeah, Drax succumbing was inevitable. Still fun though. Just because something is foreshadowed doesn't mean it's badly done.

Gamora singing along was funny. She is so off-key though. I love that the Llama complains about it.

... is the llama going to be a thing? Please tell me it'll be a thing, and not just a red herring. I hate it when games give you this choice, and one of them does nothing but screw you up be objectively better than some stupid rockets.

Fixed.

That said I do hope something gets done with the lama hole.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 16: Relax

Mantis says "Relax" (and many other things that may or may not make sense). Good thing too, because Drax trying to kill us isn't exactly optimal.

EPISODE 16 STUFF:

Archive: A Foggy Theory
Outfit (Gamora): Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Outfit (Rocket): Hero of Halfworld

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 27, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sweet! Instant payoff on the llama!

I can't believe you didn't mention the diary. It's great! Love it.

Rocket and me, we're the same. We're short, we're fuzzy, and we both hate having to wade through water. It's icky.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

I can't believe you didn't mention the diary.
I posted the first four chapters in the thread, should be in the second post if you want to have a look. I kept forgetting to show the diary in the videos until now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Mantis' blades accentuating her mantis stance was a cute touch.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I can think of worse songs than “Don’t Worry Be Happy.” “Let it Go?” “ My Heart Will Go On?” “The Song That Never Ends?” I have more…

I am Groot!

You’re right, Groot. I should not torture people.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I can think of worse songs than “Don’t Worry Be Happy.”
I probably could as well, but I have a special kind of deep, personal hatred reserved for this one. Nothing against Bobby McFerrin, he seems like a decent guy and is clearly talented at what he does (even though I despise a cappella in general). It's just that, well, I've been having issues with depression and ADHD for basically all my life, and you can probably guess how many times someone has seen fit to quote this stupid song at me as if it was some sort of revelatory life advice. Oh, I just need not to worry and simply be happy, well that'll fix me right up! Thanks! :eng99:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I can sort of relate to that. I have a deep personal hatred for "Lemon Tree" by Fools Garden. The fact that we tried to sing that in class for weeks did not mitigate that hatred. For some reason nobody I talked too agreed with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQfkEkePx8
Here have a listen to that piece of poo poo. My 15 year old memories did not fail me, it's awful and the instrumentals make my neck cringe.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, I see. Sorry to make you explain. As someone with issues where I can’t stop worrying easily if at all, I feel your pain.

I imagine video games making it a mandatory section with one song fragment playing over and over does not make things easier.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Ah, I see. Sorry to make you explain. As someone with issues where I can’t stop worrying easily if at all, I feel your pain.

I imagine video games making it a mandatory section with one song fragment playing over and over does not make things easier.

It's only mandatory if you're a monster who is mean to Kammy. :colbert:
That song is just punishment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Also, I really like how alien this planet is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like this version of Mantis.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So, it's a teeny-tiny bit rail-roady, this game. It makes sense, I'm not mad about it. I guess you have to have the space-llama, and you have to be able to make your way around the Hala's Hope, and etc. etc.

One downside to all of the talking is that the characters interrupt themselves while talking, and you're all like, "No! Get back to the other topic! I wanted to hear that!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, I can sort of relate to that. I have a deep personal hatred for "Lemon Tree" by Fools Garden. The fact that we tried to sing that in class for weeks did not mitigate that hatred. For some reason nobody I talked too agreed with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQfkEkePx8
Here have a listen to that piece of poo poo. My 15 year old memories did not fail me, it's awful and the instrumentals make my neck cringe.
Just so you know, I've had this terrible, terrible song stuck in my head since I read this post yesterday evening. I didn't even need to click the video link.

:negative:

I'm trying to excise the evil with some classic Judas Priest but it's not helping as much as I'd like.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 28, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

be worry, don't happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbTxfN8d2CI

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I was considering posting that one (The channel is fun) but it's a bit to close to the real thing.
You know what's a great song? The one which made Gamora open up to Peter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47y5bo8wtqM
Also this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmXWkMlKFkI
That one stinker aside, this game has the best soundtrack.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 28, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Since the licensed soundtrack is supposed to be Peter's mixtape (Awesome Mix, if you will) from before he got abducted by the Chitauri, Kickstart My Heart being on there means the prologue must take place in late 1989 at the earliest. Of course I'm sure they just wanted to have a generic "1980s" setting for Peter's childhood, blending together all these references to early, mid and late 80s pop culture without having it set in any specific year, and I'm just overanalyzing the whole thing like the insufferable nerd I am.

Honestly, as someone who enjoys Mötley Crüe well enough to spell their name correctly but hasn't really looked into their stuff too closely, I thought Kickstart My Heart was released way earlier than 1989! One of the few songs on here that came out after I was born. :corsair:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, sometimes I'll listen to music on YouTube, and it seems as though most of my interest in music sorta begins and ends in the '90s. I mean, there's '80s stuff there (mostly Heavy Metal), but whenever I want to listen to something that my mind categorizes as "contemporary", it pauses in the '90s (or early 2000s).

Like "Sex and Candy" by Marcy Playground came out in 1997. "The Red" by Chevelle was from 2004. "If You Could Only See" by Tonic was 1997. "Seven Nation Army" by White Stripes was 2003. "D'you Know What I Mean" by Oasis was 1997.

Weird. Lots of references for 1997. I'll bet that's the year I got kidnapped by the Chitauri.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

While we're on the topic of music, I'd like to take the opportunity to once again complain about the most baffling decision in the making of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. How in the blue hell do you license "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac, use it in two separate scenes - one of which is a climactic action scene - and never use everyone's favorite part of the song in either scene?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC-tHvkNvI

(starts at around 3 minutes)

edit: while I'm down the YouTube dadrock rabbit hole, here's something else Star-Lord would totally be into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhOXD76NgNU

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 29, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DMorbid posted:

While we're on the topic of music, I'd like to take the opportunity to once again complain about the most baffling decision in the making of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. How in the blue hell do you license "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac, use it in two separate scenes - one of which is a climactic action scene - and never use everyone's favorite part of the song in either scene?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC-tHvkNvI

Because British F1 fans might react poorly? :cheeky:

I mean Fox on the Run on the same soundtrack wasn't even in the movie itself. It was a trailer track they liked so much that they decided to add it to the soundtrack.

There was an article around when the movie came out that broke down each song on the soundtrack and the reason as to why it got added or featured in the movie.

Ah, found it:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/inside-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-soundtrack-123648/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sorry about the slight delay, I'll try to get the next update out by tomorrow night. The problem with these long episodes is the fact they take time to edit, and I've been busy with other stuff in recent weeks so I just haven't been able to find the time and energy for editing.