Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

:frogsiren: NO SPOILERS ALLOWED WHATSOEVER! :frogsiren:

ABOUT THE GAME

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy was released in October 2021 for the last and current gen PlayStation and Xbox consoles and PC (with a rather lousy cloud version also available on the Switch), although I wouldn't blame you if you didn't notice. While publisher Square Enix dedicated a fair chunk of their E3 presentation to showing off the game, by the time it actually came out it just sort of appeared without much hype or fanfare at all. Maybe the gaming public assumed Eidos Montreal's (Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, Shadow of the Tomb Raider) take on the Guardians franchise was simply more of the live service nonsense that has been steadily underwhelming people since the launch of Marvel's Avengers the year prior, or perhaps S-E didn't feel like putting any more marketing money behind this thing since it's a single player experience without a single in-game microtransaction to be found.

Despite the somewhat low-profile release, Guardians was well received by most critics and players despite a few bugs and rough edges. The game successfully blends elements from the comic books and the James Gunn movies to create its own thing, and it's quite charming. If you enjoy the movies and comics, you should be right at home here as well. The Guardians are a talkative bunch so there is a metric asston of dialogue, and a surprisingly large amount of it is pretty fun. Everything about Guardians of the Galaxy feels like this was a labor of love by Eidos Montreal, which makes up for some of the more flawed aspects. Eidos Montreal and Square Enix even went through the trouble of creating a 1980s metal band just for the game, complete with a full album you can listen to either in the game or on various music streaming services (or YouTube). The game also features a decent selection of licensed songs from the 70s and 80s, most of which you'll hear in this LP. You would hear all of them if if was up to me, but YouTube's ever-vigilant copyright bots ensure that's not an option. :argh:

Gameplay-wise, GotG is primarily a cinematic action game that puts you in the role of Peter Jason Quill a.k.a. Star-Lord, the man with the worst haircut in the galaxy and leader of the ragtag band of mercenaries and "heroes-for-hire" known as the Gardeners Guardians of the Galaxy. As the leader, your job is to command your crew of misfits to work effectively in battle and solve various puzzles that require each Guardian's special skills. Groot can create wooden bridges over gaps, Drax can smash through walls and carry heavy objects, and so on. Most of the gameplay takes place in linear levels, but you also get some downtime during which you get to chat with your crew aboard the Guardians' spaceship, the Milano, in a way that feels quite Mass Effect-y. While the dialog options you get are fairly limited, some of them do influence later events and you get to decide what kind of person and leader Star-Lord is. Sometimes, you even get to do some flying and space combat, which isn't particularly amazing but still a nice change of pace. If I had to describe this game in as few words as possible, I'd probably go with something like "Uncharted meets Mass Effect meets Saints Row".

As for the story, I'm not going to spoil too many details here. At the start of the game, the Guardians are very much down on their luck and simply looking for a way to get paid, and their latest scheme is to find a rare and valuable monster to sell to someone called Lady Hellbender. Naturally, things don't really go to plan, one thing leads to another, and I doubt it'll be too much of a spoiler to say that at some point, guarding the galaxy might actually be required. But hey, we got this. Probably.

ABOUT THE LP

On this playthrough, I'll be collecting every unlockable outfit, text archive, and Guardian Collectible in the game. There's also a bunch of other archive items you can collect, but getting all of those requires multiple playthroughs and they're not really worth the trouble, so I just collect whatever I can find. On a technical note, this playthrough is being recorded on the Xbox Series X, using the ray tracing mode which runs at a dynamic 4K/30 fps. There is a 60 fps performance mode, but that's not quite as stable as I'd prefer (especially since I can't use VRR when recording) so I went with the shiniest mode available. This is actually recorded at 4K as well, since I finally upgraded my setup a few months ago. Now if YouTube would just bother to actually render the 4K uploads... :eng99:

Joining me on this cosmic romp is, once again, ChaosArgate. I'm aiming for one or two updates per week, but I know better than to actually promise anything resembling an actual schedule.

VIDEOS

Episode 1: Space Riders
Episode 2: Turn Me Loose
Episode 3: I Ran (So Far Away)
Episode 4: Tainted Love
Episode 5: Every 1's a Winner
Episode 6: Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Episode 7: Hangin' Tough
Episode 8: Bit of Good (Bit of Bad)
Episode 9: Never Gonna Give You Up
Episode 10: Take On Me (minus Take On Me, thanks WMG)
Episode 10 REUPLOAD with different music
Episode 10 RE-REUPLOAD with Take On Me restored
Episode 11: We Built This City
Episode 12: Space Doggity
Episode 13: Ghost
Episode 14: (Don't Fear) The Reaper
Episode 15: Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Episode 16: Relax
Episode 17: Infinite Dreams
Episode 18: The Warrior
Episode 19: We're Not Gonna Take It
Episode 20: White Wedding
Episode 21: Dragon Attack
Episode 22: Where Eagles Dare
Episode 23: Watch Me Shine
Episode 24: The FINAL Countdown

"In these times of hardship, just remember - we are Groot!"

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

THROG, FROG OF THUNDER Proudly Presents: A Big List of STUFF!

Star-Lord's Journal (SPOILERS for the whole game, obviously):

Chapter 1 (1/2)
Chapter 1 (2/2)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (1/2)
Chapter 3 (2/2)
Chapter 4 (1/2)
Chapter 4 (2/2)
Chapter 5 (1/2)
Chapter 5 (2/2)
Chapter 6 (1/2)
Chapter 6 (2/2)
Chapter 7 (1/3)
Chapter 7 (2/3)
Chapter 7 (3/3)
Chapter 8 (1/3)
Chapter 8 (2/3)
Chapter 8 (3/3)
Chapter 9 (1/2)
Chapter 9 (2/2)
Chapter 10 (1/4)
Chapter 10 (2/4)
Chapter 10 (3/4)
Chapter 10 (4/4)
Chapter 11 (1/2)
Chapter 11 (2/2)
Chapter 12 (1/2)
Chapter 12 (2/2)
Chapter 13 (1/2)
Chapter 13 (2/2)
Chapter 14 (1/2)
Chapter 14 (2/2)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Archives, Outfits and Other Assorted Junk:

Episode 1:

Star-Lord Band Interview
Space Rider Album Review
Archive: Team Costumes
Archive: Nano-Resin Incident Report
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Rocket)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Rocket)
Archive: Pride and Fall (1)
Archive: Pride and Fall (2)
Archive: QZ Disposal (1)
Archive: QZ Disposal (2)

Episode 2:

Archive: Failed to Send Message
Archive: Unthinkable

Episode 3:

Outfit: Standard Outfit (Groot)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Groot)
Archive: A Miracle!

Episode 4:

Outfit: Standard-Lord
Outfit: Nova-Lord
Outfit: Social-Lord

Episode 6:

Archive: Collateral Damage
Archive: Off the Grid
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Gamora)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Gamora)

Episode 7:

Archive: Stupid Job
Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Groot)

Episode 8:

Archive: Don't Do It!
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Drax)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Drax)

Episode 9:

Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Rocket)
Archive: Care of Our Charges

Episode 10:

Archive: "The Golden Force"
Outfit: Nova Corps (Drax)
Archive: Elevator A23
Archive: Memo: Suit Protocol
Archive: If Anyone Finds This...
Outfit: Nova Corps (Groot)

Episode 11:

Archive: Egghead Reviews: Mant-Blows
Archive: Overhead
Archive: "Nothing"
Archive: Egghead Reviews: Spirit Tree
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Star-Lord)
Emporium: Richard Rider's Helmet
Emporium: Ultimate Nullifier
Emporium: Superhuman Registration Act
Emporium: Hofund, Sword of Heimdall
Emporium: Yaka Arrow
Emporium: Cosmic Glasses (Stan Lee easter egg)
Emporium: Brood Queen (erm... Collector, you may want to take a look at this one)
Emporium: Frogjolnir
Emporium: Cagliostro's Book
Emporium: Eye of the Watcher
Emporium: Kang's Time Chair
Emporium: Cosmic Cube
Emporium: Blade of Ichor
Emporium: Mandarin's Rings
Emporium: Monster from Planet X
Emporium: Raptor Amulet
Emporium: Firelord's Cosmic Staff
Emporium: Snowbird's Tiara
Emporium: Hyde Formula
Emporium: THROG, FROG OF THUNDER

Episode 12:

Archive: Warning
Archive: Cadet Gold's Attendance
Outfit: Nova Corps (Rocket)

Episode 13:

Outfit: Nova Corps (Gamora) (If you've been paying attention, you might've noticed that all Nova Centurion armor has those boob lights, not just the female armor. Nova Force is stored in the boobs)
Archive: So Many Thoughts
Archive: Urgent Quarantine Warning
Archive: Upcoming Accuser Visit
Archive: Cycle Reminders
Archive: Golden Shadows

Episode 14:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Bad-Lord
Outfit (Drax): Cage Match
Archive: Re: She Has Come!
Archive: Notice: Malfunction

Episode 15:

N/A

Episode 16:

Archive: A Foggy Theory
Outfit (Gamora): Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Outfit (Rocket): Hero of Halfworld

Episode 17:

Archive: Pip's Quips
Outfit (Groot): Annihilation Conquest Suit

Episode 18:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Apocalypse-Lord
Outfit (Rocket): Smuggler
Outfit (Groot): Impaler
Outfit (Gamora): Casual Kill
Outfit (Drax): Thanos Imperative
Archive: Knowhere Safe
Archive: A Prophetic Convergence
Archive: Egghead Reviews: That's More Like I
Archive: Reply: Missing Persons Report

Episode 19:

Archive: Investigating the Hand
Archive: Work-Related Death Report

Episode 20:

Outfit (Gamora): Black Vortex
Outfit (Groot): Five O'Clock Sprouts

Episode 21:

Outfit (Star-Lord): War-Lord
Outfit (Rocket): Stinger
Outfit (Drax): Katathian Monk
Archive: End of My Hunt
Archive: Wendigone!
Archive: Unsent: Major Setback

Episode 22:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Gold-Lord
Outfit (Gamora): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Drax): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Rocket): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Groot): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Star-Lord): Team-Lord
Outfit (Drax): Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Episode 23:

Outfit (Gamora): Chosen Daughter
Archive: To Whom It May Concern

Episode 24:

Outfit: Space-Lord
Outfit: City-Lord
Outfit: Sun-Lord
Outfit: Sleek-Lord

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 9, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 1: Space Riders

In the first episode of Guardians of the Galaxy, we join our favorite galactic band of misfits on their quest to hunt down a rare and valuable monster. We've got this... probably.

Episode 1 STUFF:

Star-Lord Band Interview
Space Rider Album Review
Archive: Team Costumes
Archive: Nano-Resin Incident Report
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Rocket)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Rocket)
Archive: Pride and Fall (1)
Archive: Pride and Fall (2)
Archive: QZ Disposal (1)
Archive: QZ Disposal (2)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ooh, this will be interesting. Heard good stuff about this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Somehow my favorite thing in this so far is that the one of the shelves at the beginning has a book called "Pineapples of Angst".

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I am Groot!

Loosely translated- I hope to enjoy this LP! :)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

anilEhilated posted:

Somehow my favorite thing in this so far is that the one of the shelves at the beginning has a book called "Pineapples of Angst".

I was so curious about the books he kept! There’s so many little environmental details and I just wanna soak em all up!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I didn't look at all the books in detail because I didn't want this video to be an hour long, but I will try to look at as many environmental details as possible in future videos. Speaking of which, young Peter had some model kits on his desk that were references to various Marvel characters, including Alpha Flight and X-23.

They also made an 80s-style music video for one of the Star-Lord songs, because of course they did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMcQ7qdz37U

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is such an unexpectedly awesome game. I really loved going through it and made like three dozen screenshots since it looked so stunning. The characters are great too.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
We allowed to talk about things related to the GotG comics/movies as they come up or in general? Or there restrictions on it broadly unless it comes up in the game?

Ie, pre movie Star-Lord in comics was an extremely different character.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

wedgekree posted:

We allowed to talk about things related to the GotG comics/movies as they come up or in general? Or there restrictions on it broadly unless it comes up in the game?

Ie, pre movie Star-Lord in comics was an extremely different character.
General Guardians chat is fine, the no spoilers rule is just for direct game spoilers. I was planning to make some sort of effortpost about the original GotG team (the 31st century one) myself at some point.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cool! biggest character difference is Peter Quill (a la Star-Lord). In the comics Peter was a space cop (in a group called the Star Lords) who worked alongside the Nova Corps. During the Annihilation Saga (something which has given a degree of inspiration to events) the Star Lords (other than Peter) were exterminated. This gave him major PSTD, a death wish, and other characters concerned he would go out of his way to get himself killed (and take them with him when he did).

The Annihilation Saga was when Annihilus (Fantastic Four villain) lead an offensive against essentially the entire galaxy, taking on some of the most powerful beings in it - Galactus, Thanos, multiple Heralds, the Nova Corps.. And was winning. Along the ways he broke the back of the Kree and Skrull Empires and to a large degree nearly exterminated them and obliterated them as major galactic players.

That story was also where you got the transition from 'Classic' Drax (from the 90's comics Infinity War) to 'current' Drax. Classic Drax (in the 90's) was a Hulk level intelligent being of extreme power, capable of going toe to toe with the strongest beings in the galaxy. He continuously was defeated by Thanos, whom could outmaneuver him. Thus Drax adapted - becoming an intelligent being but physically weaker, ubt that could counter Thanos' disparate powers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

quote:

As for the story, I'm not going to spoil too many details here. At the start of the game, the Guardians are very much down on their luck and simply looking for a way to get paid, and their latest scheme is to find a rare and valuable monster to sell to someone called Lady Hellbender.

Hmmm, I wonder what side she's on

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hey now, I'm sure the lady whose nickname is "Monster Queen of Seknarf Nine" is a perfectly nice and friendly sort.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I somehow forgot to look at one of the items in Peter's room during the flashback, so here it is:

Steve Harris' wristband from an Iron Maiden show. It's not quite the same as catching Nicko McBrain's drumstick (:smug:), but still pretty cool!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
drat that Star Lord band stuff is amazing, it reminds me of just like pure distilled 80s metal. I love it.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hmmm, I wonder what side she's on

She's actually just a giant salamander, and is totally on the up-and-up.*

*please note, I've never played this game, or heard of Lady Hellbender before, so I could be wrong. But hellbenders are cool.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
This game is a love letter to a lot of things. And it hits all the right tones.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 2: Turn Me Loose

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but we *probably* shouldn't have shot that last bug nest.

EDIT: I was right the first time, and Groot's Entangle skill does in fact give you a damage multiplier, which also doesn't necessarily involve the stagger mechanic. I got confused because the multiplier icon wasn't showing up.

EPISODE 2 STUFF:

Archive: Failed to Send Message
Archive: Unthinkable

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 19, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm enjoying the character bonding here. Some nice tender moments with Rockets to draw you in.

Looking forward to seeing more!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Way to lose against Rocket there. The last huge was the all or nothing round and he got the drop on you. I'm sure everything is fine and that suspicious gem is just a prank prop from the old crew.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the spooky black goop cloud looks like a migraine does

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Ah, I was interested in this one. Glad to see you LPing this one!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I'm very disappointed that there are posts in this thread already that contain words other than 'I am Groot'.

Including mine. I have failed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

I'm very disappointed that there are posts in this thread already that contain words other than 'I am Groot'.

Including mine. I have failed.

I am Grootacus!

I suppose if "I am Groot" is the entire language of his people then his name probably isn't actually Groot? Or are his people all called Groot with slight differences in intonation to make their names distinct

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Would it surprise anyone that Squeenix reported today that the game performed under expectations when it comes to sales?

But then that seems par on course for Squeenix and their sales expectations about non-FF games. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I was planning to post the next video today, but it turns out my audio from the latest recording session is all sorts of hosed due to the fact Audacity decided to use my lovely webcam mic instead of the good mic despite the good one clearly showing up as the active input device in the settings. :argh:

Basically, this means I'll have to re-record all of my audio for episodes 3 and 4, so there's gonna be a bit of a delay because there's no way I'm publishing any videos with my commentary sounding like it was recorded in a bathroom in hell. Sorry about that!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

DMorbid posted:

I was planning to post the next video today, but it turns out my audio from the latest recording session is all sorts of hosed due to the fact Audacity decided to use my lovely webcam mic instead of the good mic despite the good one clearly showing up as the active input device in the settings. :argh:

Basically, this means I'll have to re-record all of my audio for episodes 3 and 4, so there's gonna be a bit of a delay because there's no way I'm publishing any videos with my commentary sounding like it was recorded in a bathroom in hell. Sorry about that!

Oof! Gotta love tech problems.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am... groot?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Would it surprise anyone that Squeenix reported today that the game performed under expectations when it comes to sales?

But then that seems par on course for Squeenix and their sales expectations about non-FF games. :v:

Too be fair, it did underperform a lot since way more people should play it but didn't chose to do it so far.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 3: I Ran (So Far Away)

We find our monster... sort of... and then discover the QZ might not be entirely stable, prompting a swift tactical retreat.

EDIT: The 4K version is now available, and it only took one month to process! Thanks, YouTube!

EPISODE 3 STUFF:

Outfit: Standard Outfit (Groot) (I say in the video that I "assume" Groot would write "I am Groot" in the descriptions, which it seems he actually did!)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Groot)
Archive: A Miracle!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 23, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That huddle - and really everything from that point on - was cheesy as hell. I love it. This game is amazing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh that was some good, and unexpected, music choice. :D
Also I lost it at the logo drop.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

okay yes this incredibly rules

and i like how the first combat tutorial kinda reinforces the core message of the thing - you can deal with stuff [goop monsters] on your own, maybe, but it's much easier and probably a lot more fun to do it with your friends :unsmith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 4: Tainted Love

Good times, getting arrested by your ex who is now a space cop and finding out she has a kid who may or may not be yours. Oh, and there's a massive explosion on the space cop ship. Looks like it's gonna be one of those days for good old Star-Lord...

EDIT: 4K version is done, and once again it only took a month!

EPISODE 4 STUFF:

Outfit: Standard-Lord
Outfit: Nova-Lord
Outfit: Social-Lord

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 15, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That scene transition near the end was just loving stellar. :D

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aww, I really like Nikki. The writing in this game is superb.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I admit it took me a second to catch on that she was actually a kid and not someone just extra short. :v:
But she was really nice and not overbearing or whiny like a lot of other kids are written. Or wise beyond her years for that part.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Aww, I really like Nikki. The writing in this game is superb.

Absolutely this. I'm loving the chemistry and banter in this game, it's really well thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Microsoft announced today that GotG will be added to Game Pass "soon" so that should be a nice, inexpensive way to play the game if you've got an Xbox or a gaming PC.