Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Given things like megaphones and shoes are deadly weapons in pro-wrestling, what is the silliest gimmick you've ever seen used to KO somebody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Given things like megaphones and shoes are deadly weapons in pro-wrestling, what is the silliest gimmick you've ever seen used to KO somebody?

For the reverse question, what are the most dangerous? Sandman getting brained by a cast iron pan courtesy of Mick Foley, who didn't realize it was cast iron until halfway through his swing, could've been a lot worse.

Bonus points if the item is too dangerous to use "properly" so they gotta fake it, like HHH's stupid sledgehammer.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Drew McIntyre's sword

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

Powder thrown in the face has to be one

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The invisible grenade probably. Or maybe Antonio Honda's inflatable hammer

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

I never saw the match, but I remember a funny story where the Blue Meanie was helping Jim Neidhart cheat in an indie match and was supposed to hand him a foreign object for Neidhart to knock out the opponent. As a rib, he gave him a rubber chicken.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

NikkolasKing posted:

Fingerpoke of doom of course

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just remembered Hogan failing to light some flash paper, forever, until it went off in his hand. Might've been against Warrior in WCW and he still sold it?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Related, but - My friends and I always cackled in the N64-era games where you could pull a Stop Sign out of the crowd/under the ring - did that ever happen in real life?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Matzusawa-san in YMZ uses a leek

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Related, but - My friends and I always cackled in the N64-era games where you could pull a Stop Sign out of the crowd/under the ring - did that ever happen in real life?

Yes, it was a pretty common spot in hardcore matches. The first time was especially clever: a guy in a ECW crowd has a sign that says "Tommy use my sign", he bopped Raven with it, then notices the sound it made, tears at the paper, and there's a stop sign underneath it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

raven brought the stop sign into wcw as well. his giant would usually hit people with it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just remembered Hogan failing to light some flash paper, forever, until it went off in his hand. Might've been against Warrior in WCW and he still sold it?

Halloween Havoc ‘98. The entire match was a trashfire, and I think the cause of the flash paper was that Hogan’s gloves were slick because baby oil and sweat, so he couldn’t reliably get the bic he was holding to work and in a panic, the moment he did he just turned to try to “throw the fireball”, and instead of it going up and out and into Warrior’s face for a big theatrical thing, Hogan’s pivot created a little windstream that carried the now flashing paper up and into Hogan’s own face, burning his eyebrows and I think a bit of his mustache?

And the match descended even further down from there. But nothing was quite as funny as that moment.

Also the PPV where Bischoff didn’t inform the providers ahead of time they’d be going over the originally allotted time so I think just as the bell rang for the main event of DDP and Goldberg, which might be the best Goldberg match ever, the feed just straight cut out and went to the PPV channel’s promotional roll ahead of the midnight replay that you generally got when you ordered PPVs back then.

WCW apologized, offered refunds to anyone who wanted it but would also allow anyone who didn’t get the refund to get the Tuesday replay - with the main event included - for free, and also aired the match the next night on Nitro in the main event slot, and this was enough to give one final ratings win to WCW against the WWF. After that, the split slowly widened, accelerating after the “butts in seats”/Fingerpoke of Doom Nitro (ironically three years to the day of Bischoff seeing NJPW Wrestling World 1996’s packed Tokyo Dome for the UWFi/NJPW feud where Nobuhiko Takada, representing UWFi, tapped out IWGP champion Keiji Mutoh with an armbar, winning the belt, and set off a lightbulb in Bischoff’s head about the appeal of an “inter-promotional war” angle where the invaders take control of the top belt), and just became a wreck as they fumbled to try to find something, anything to be as big as the Outsiders angle and Hogan heel turn and ensuing nWo/WCW story.

You know, when you lay it all out like that, what a loving ride the descent of WCW was. The week to week was dogshit, but goddamn if it wasn’t trash TV in a way you almost never get anymore. What a time to be alive.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Halloween Havoc ‘98. The entire match was a trashfire, and I think the cause of the flash paper was that Hogan’s gloves were slick because baby oil and sweat, so he couldn’t reliably get the bic he was holding to work and in a panic, the moment he did he just turned to try to “throw the fireball”, and instead of it going up and out and into Warrior’s face for a big theatrical thing, Hogan’s pivot created a little windstream that carried the now flashing paper up and into Hogan’s own face, burning his eyebrows and I think a bit of his mustache?

And the match descended even further down from there. But nothing was quite as funny as that moment.

Also the PPV where Bischoff didn’t inform the providers ahead of time they’d be going over the originally allotted time so I think just as the bell rang for the main event of DDP and Goldberg, which might be the best Goldberg match ever, the feed just straight cut out and went to the PPV channel’s promotional roll ahead of the midnight replay that you generally got when you ordered PPVs back then.

WCW apologized, offered refunds to anyone who wanted it but would also allow anyone who didn’t get the refund to get the Tuesday replay - with the main event included - for free, and also aired the match the next night on Nitro in the main event slot, and this was enough to give one final ratings win to WCW against the WWF. After that, the split slowly widened, accelerating after the “butts in seats”/Fingerpoke of Doom Nitro (ironically three years to the day of Bischoff seeing NJPW Wrestling World 1996’s packed Tokyo Dome for the UWFi/NJPW feud where Nobuhiko Takada, representing UWFi, tapped out IWGP champion Keiji Mutoh with an armbar, winning the belt, and set off a lightbulb in Bischoff’s head about the appeal of an “inter-promotional war” angle where the invaders take control of the top belt), and just became a wreck as they fumbled to try to find something, anything to be as big as the Outsiders angle and Hogan heel turn and ensuing nWo/WCW story.

You know, when you lay it all out like that, what a loving ride the descent of WCW was. The week to week was dogshit, but goddamn if it wasn’t trash TV in a way you almost never get anymore. What a time to be alive.

The only flaw in that DDP/Goldberg match is, at least to hear Page tell is, Goldberg knocked himself loopy on the ringpost when he missed a spear. So when Page hit the Diamond Cutter, Bill did not stay down for a 2.9 or even a 2.5, he kicked out at just 2, all because he didn't know where he was or what was going on.

I dunno if that explanation is true but either way, it has always bugged me, not least of all because I was rooting for DDP. Otherwise, definitely Goldberg's best match.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And apparently DDP was pissed after the match and went to confront Goldberg only to find him loopy and instead told him it’s all good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

If nothing else, his mistake was my gain because 15 year old EGG wasn't talking ma n' pa into buying the pape (Big Daddy Magic), but he'd sure watch Nitro on TSN on Tuesday.

Didn't the segment with the replay do great ratings?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
for silly and also kind of dangerous, the Jon Moxley sawzall spot.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

karmicknight posted:

for silly and also kind of dangerous, the Jon Moxley sawzall spot.

The shoot interview explaining that spot was great, and the dude that sawed him (I forget his name, sorry) was right in that people would flip over it despite being really fake. Mox sold it perfectly too, it was awesome.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

JR's ringside candy dish

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But that’s where he puts his Skittles.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If nothing else, his mistake was my gain because 15 year old EGG wasn't talking ma n' pa into buying the pape (Big Daddy Magic), but he'd sure watch Nitro on TSN on Tuesday.

Didn't the segment with the replay do great ratings?

Like I said, them putting that match on gave them one final ratings win against RAW (a 5.1 to a 4.5) after the WWF had begun to achieve a solid winning streak, but it was the very last time they’d ever do it. And it might not have worked if it hadn’t been a taped RAW that week, and once Vince said “gently caress it” and went live every week midway through ‘99, RAW would regularly do 6s(!) and some quarter hours would do insane numbers while Nitro would waver between 3s and 4s, that would turn into 2s and 3s when Russo started booking.

I will correct myself, they didn’t put it in the main event slot of Nitro, they put the replayed match in the 9 PM slot so it ran opposite the open of RAW. Pretty smart placement. The main event of that Nitro was Bret vs DDP for the US belt. DDP won. Then Bret punched him with a taped fist to get his heat back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeOQExmI-0

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For the reverse question, what are the most dangerous? Sandman getting brained by a cast iron pan courtesy of Mick Foley, who didn't realize it was cast iron until halfway through his swing, could've been a lot worse.
New Jack stabbed a guy in Florida multiple times and tried to kill Gypsy Joe with a bat.

For things that were actually gimmicks and not aggravated assault: IWA had a match where someone jammed a box cutter deep into Spidar Boodrow's arm. CZW used a weedeater, they've had people thrown onto gusset plates, and there's been some Fans Bring The Weapons stuff that was too dangerous to use.

quote:

Bonus points if the item is too dangerous to use "properly" so they gotta fake it, like HHH's stupid sledgehammer.
The Night Stalker carried a double-headed axe to the ring. He tried to slap Sid with the flat side.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It didn't get used, but there was that time where a gun was pulled on the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFHejMa6zw

edit: as for silliest

obviously the finger gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHhBC_a7PFI&t=2s

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 23, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh poo poo I had no idea it was Ueki that pulled the gun, dude looks so different nowadays

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Stone Cold pulled a gun on Vince once, right in the middle of the ring. He actually pulled the trigger and it was one of those fake guns where a little flag pops out and it says "BANG!" on it and Vince passed out from fear

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Most dangerous thing I've seen in wrestling plunder was that spot where I think ot was Masashi Takeda (it was either him or his opponent from my memory) nearly got impaled throat first on I want to say garden shears thst had been propped up at a WM weekend Collective show during a death match. I enjoy Takeda, he really embodies extreme, but I don't want to see a spot like that again.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 23, 2022

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Elephant Ambush posted:

Stone Cold pulled a gun on Vince once, right in the middle of the ring. He actually pulled the trigger and it was one of those fake guns where a little flag pops out and it says "BANG!" on it and Vince passed out from fear

I thought he pissed his pants from fear?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In my head that Vince gun spot was on top of a building.

Was there one where Austin pretended he was gonna throw him off a building and threw him into a kiddy pool? Maybe that was on top of a building or even possibly never happened.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ganso Bomb posted:

I thought he pissed his pants from fear?

It's possible I'm misremembering

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Most dangerous thing I've seen in wrestling plunder was that spot where I think ot was Masashi Takeda (it was either him or his opponent from my memory) nearly got impaled throat first on I want to say garden shears thst had been propped up at a WM weekend Collective show during a death match. I enjoy Takeda, he really embodies extreme, but I don't want to see a spot like that again.

Takeda vs Jimmy Lloyd, Takeda kneed a scissors board into Lloyd and one caught him in the upper torso. Wasn't deep but visible and Jimmy seemed to understandably freak for a bit.

Later the same year on the first GCW Japan shows Takeda took a spill on a board of knives that resulted in a cut so bad they had to stop the match.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

His back winked at the camera after that knife board spot it was loving gnarly

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Sid did you FORGET YOUR SCISSORS????

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

In my head that Vince gun spot was on top of a building.

Was there one where Austin pretended he was gonna throw him off a building and threw him into a kiddy pool? Maybe that was on top of a building or even possibly never happened.

Kurt Angle kidnapped Steve Austin and made him thinking he was being thrown off a bridge but threw him in a kiddy pool.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bushmeister posted:

Takeda vs Jimmy Lloyd, Takeda kneed a scissors board into Lloyd and one caught him in the upper torso. Wasn't deep but visible and Jimmy seemed to understandably freak for a bit.

Later the same year on the first GCW Japan shows Takeda took a spill on a board of knives that resulted in a cut so bad they had to stop the match.

Literally the most distressing spot Ive ever seen

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Does the Priscilla Kelly tampon spot count in this category?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
claudio's been one of my favorite wrestlers since i first saw him at the shield v wyatts elimination chamber back when i first started watching wrestling. what are people's favorite matches of his where he really gets to showcase how cool he is? i wanna watch a few of his matches given that people are buzzing about him potentially showing up at forbidden door but i'm not familiar with his indie stuff and all the wwe matches have blobbed together into a mass of 'boy he deserves better'

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KY-1EfCtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsAJj5i49E

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

where did Tanahashi go on excursion?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I was trying to find the ROH Claudio vs Joe match where Claudio gives Joe a hanging vertical suplex and keeps him up for like a full minute, maybe more. But sadly I can't find it. I know it happened because I saw it live but I can't find it anywhere online :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

where did Tanahashi go on excursion?

he didnt. he was from the days in the dojo scouted as a main eventer and debuted into the main njpw roster right away alongside shinsuke nakamura and katsuyori shibata.