Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Thanks for confirming a fall release, Wiz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Hopefully they’ll enjoy their vacation.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1536740245609357313

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

"Oh poo poo, this game is supposed to be released this year?!"

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

"Oh poo poo, this game is supposed to be released this year?!"

This is what happens when you think it's still 2021. Not that I've done that a couple of times or anything...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AG3 posted:

This is what happens when you think it's still 2021. Not that I've done that a couple of times or anything...
I just sprayed water on my monitor because of the sudden laughter - this has happened to me too. My kid just turned 2 which is weird because each year of covid has felt like 10 but at the same time I cant believe he's already 2. It feels like we just learned about Vicky3 but now its going to be released this year? Whaaa?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Mantis42 posted:

Open on a red curtain. Text: "Paradox Interactive Proudly Presents It's Next Masterpiece". The curtain opens, revealing a troupe of actors performing Our American Cousin. It's Ford's Theater, 1865.

Lincoln sits in his balcony with Mrs. Lincoln. An advisor tries to get his input on Confederate holdouts in the State of Guyana, but Lincoln is too engrossed in the play for work. Then, his eye catches something - a reflection in a conveniently located grandfather clock. An intruder in the balcony. John Wilkes Booth pulls out his gun and fires. We follow the bullet in slow time as it slowly approaches Lincoln. But something's wrong here. The bullet stops in mid air. Abe smiles. Suddenly time reverses itself and the bullet travels backwards into Booth's gun. He can't believe it. "H-how is this possible?" he cries.

"Quickload," Abe quips, before dispatching John Wilkes Booth with kung fu. With a final roundhouse kick he knocks Booth out of the balcony onto the ground below, upon which the entire theater erupts in applause. President Lincoln turns back to the advisor he ignored before and asks him to come forward. He lays a paper map out and it's the map from the game. Then text on screen clarifies that this is actually a map game and there is no kung fu.

Ok, but now I want this instead of Vicky3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Capfalcon posted:

Real time battles duels

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

CrypticTriptych posted:

I enjoyed reading the Brazil AAR that happened recently (compiled on reddit). I think it was interesting how much you get to nudge the political system through event choices. It makes the system for enacting laws described in the dev diaries -- table a law, RNG happens, law eventually passes -- a bit less dry and abstract.

whoa didn't expect to see Grão-Pará there, the Cabanagem together with the Farroupilha (the rebellion in Rio Grande do Sul, the southernmost state) makes a Brazil start far more interesting

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

The greatest tragedy in gaming is Koei dropping American history as a setting right before they started making Musou games.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1537465272440958978

e: it's very pretty

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 16, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ah yeah that’s the stuff there. A more dynamic map visually has been what I wanted from historical PDS games for a long time. It makes playing so much more rewarding, especially across multiple campaigns seeing places change in different ways.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
It's pretty impressive that mapgame graphics have gotten to the point they can look somewhat like Railroad Tycoon 3, no sarcasm.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weird, I didn't see any shots of every German province covered in max level forts.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

eXXon posted:

Weird, I didn't see any shots of every German province covered in max level forts.

That's because all the supply for that went to fortifying every inch of russian soil :unsmigghh:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Lol at the second comment on that one. 56k BEWARE!

quote:

Beautiful! So beautiful, in fact, that it took several minutes for me to load this page. Can we turn off the living map? It looks very graphics-intensive.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this game WILL NOT run well on my 20 year old gateway 2000 this computer is TOP OF THE LINE 1/10 stars ability to feel rent asunder etc

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Lol at the second comment on that one. 56k BEWARE!

lmao i love the pdx forums

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

:allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mantis42 posted:

The greatest tragedy in gaming is Koei dropping American history as a setting right before they started making Musou games.

I would buy a Civil War musou.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will also accept Revolutionary War musou. I want to see what baffling poo poo they'd come up with for Lafayette.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

nothing more that I like in a game than the ability to turn a pristine map into a pockmarked hellscape, a really underrated feature

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-51-tutorial.1532719/

you only do a tutorial dev diary if you're really close to release right guys? guys?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Does the tutorial have Hitler in it?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Orange Devil posted:

Does the tutorial have Hitler in it?

Shouldn’t it be Palmerston, explaining why opium wars are cool and good?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

fuf posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-51-tutorial.1532719/

you only do a tutorial dev diary if you're really close to release going on swedish summer holiday so you can come back and immediately announce the release date right guys? guys?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

fuf posted:

you only do a tutorial dev diary if you're really close to release right guys? guys?

Is it just me or do player objectives sound like a... win condition in a Paradox game? It sure will be nice to have the game tell me that there's absolutely no way I can lose now rather than just deciding "yeah this playthrough stopped being fun"

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Are we planning a release mega MP session? I'd love to be part of one. Euro goon here. Just a bunch of chill idiots flailing at every buttons trying to manage an economy.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've spent a stupid amount of time thinking about this, what characters would be in it, what their weapons would be, etc. Too bad I have no understanding of programming or game design.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RabidWeasel posted:

Is it just me or do player objectives sound like a... win condition in a Paradox game? It sure will be nice to have the game tell me that there's absolutely no way I can lose now rather than just deciding "yeah this playthrough stopped being fun"

Being able to give the game a win condition and have it be somehow considered has been near the top of my PDS dream additions for awhile. Bonus points if it helps guide me along the way when I’m learning or spins up dynamic mission things that fit with my desired win con.

idk that that’s what this is and even if so it’ll probably be pretty limited out of the gate, but it being there would be awesome.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What would be really cool is to be able to set player objectives (or have them extensible so modders can make some) to things, like target a specific whacky achievement as your player objective, and then have the system capable of feeing you journal entries to help you towards that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Popoto posted:

Are we planning a release mega MP session? I'd love to be part of one. Euro goon here. Just a bunch of chill idiots flailing at every buttons trying to manage an economy.

That'd be fun, a crowd of Goons intent on setting up their preferred brand of leftist utopia and accidentally becoming autocratic monsters because we have no idea what we're doing

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

That'd be fun, a crowd of Goons intent on setting up their preferred brand of leftist utopia and accidentally becoming autocratic monsters because we have no idea what we're doing

I'm going to be an autocratic monster intentionally

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

VostokProgram posted:

A D&D poster, I see

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

VostokProgram posted:

Unironically looking forward to the mod that replaces the "Why do this" parts of the tutorial with things like "Because you're a monster who wants to build an empire that runs on human misery."

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

Congrats on being the only one to create a leftist utopia

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My countries main imports are Coal and Sulfur and its main exports are Misery and Armless Orphans.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
im gonna grow and exports tulip bulbs. the currency of the future

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Popoto posted:

im gonna grow and exports tulip bulbs. the currency of the future

non-fungible tulips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mantis42 posted:

I've spent a stupid amount of time thinking about this, what characters would be in it, what their weapons would be, etc. Too bad I have no understanding of programming or game design.

Do not pursue Lee Bob