Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Scrooge #6 (1954)

Fantastic Four #110 (1971)

Strange Tales #132 (1965)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Maestro: World War M has been gloriously stupid and frequently amusing. This is from #4:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Maestro: World War M has been gloriously stupid and frequently amusing. This is from #4:

DOOM'S LEGENDARY HOSPITALITY HAS BETRAYED DOOM FOR THE LAST TIME! :doom:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Tick #6 (1989)

Venom vs. Carnage #2 (2004)

Superboy #106 (1963)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This new Fraction/Lieber story from the Perry White special could probably go in the touching panels thread, but the details landed these panels here.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darthemed posted:

Uncle Scrooge #6 (1954)

Where does one sign up?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Who do I write to for more stories about Ace Reporter, Yibbitty Bleepblorp?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Bored Ape Yacht Club

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This new Fraction/Lieber story from the Perry White special could probably go in the touching panels thread, but the details landed these panels here.

I'm a big fan of "Bizarro Wins (Loses)"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inkspot posted:

Who do I write to for more stories about Ace Reporter, Yibbitty Bleepblorp?
I desperately want Yibbitty to be an obvious Whitley Streiber-style alien whose disguise even Superman can't see through (that or he's just too polite to say anything).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Keromaru5 posted:

I desperately want Yibbitty to be an obvious Whitley Streiber-style alien whose disguise even Superman can't see through (that or he's just too polite to say anything).

I remember reading a Superman/Batman team up from the '70's or something that started out as a pair of aliens turning the superheroes against each other, but it was revealed to be a famous actor who was about to die using a rubber mask and a supersonic jetpack trying to fool Superman and Batman as his last great performance. Superman had figured it out as he knew the planet the dude was claiming to be from was uninhabited and then x-ray visioned the mask. He let Batman in on the secret and they both played along so the guy could die happy.

Thinking back about it, I like that Superman only used his x-ray vision because he guessed something was up and would have otherwise taken the alien at his word.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elissimpark posted:

I remember reading a Superman/Batman team up from the '70's or something that started out as a pair of aliens turning the superheroes against each other, but it was revealed to be a famous actor who was about to die using a rubber mask and a supersonic jetpack trying to fool Superman and Batman as his last great performance. Superman had figured it out as he knew the planet the dude was claiming to be from was uninhabited and then x-ray visioned the mask. He let Batman in on the secret and they both played along so the guy could die happy.

Thinking back about it, I like that Superman only used his x-ray vision because he guessed something was up and would have otherwise taken the alien at his word.

I think that was an issue of World's Finest or something? I read it in like a, I wanna say Neal Adams collection or something, Superman recruited Batgirl and Batman recruited Supergirl to help themselves against each other

Fake edit: Google Chrome had Superman, Batman and Batgirl in it's dictionary, but not Supergirl.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
DC really went in on the "BUT IT WAS THIS GUY IN A RUBBER MASK!" thing back in the day. Like maybe 50% of stories had it. The first Ras al Ghul story, Superman vs. Muhammed Ali, etc.

Sorry for spoiling some comics from the 70s.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

It was weird because there was a Captain Marvel story in the same issue that had a woman make a pact with actual Satan for weird powers of darkness (as in absence of light darkness) and was only defeated when Mary Marvel brought some of God's radiance from heaven in her cape.

It was an odd tonal shift.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I guess that'll happen when your premise inherently includes an Abrahamic prophet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
god's radiance was a flashlight wearing a rubber mask, obviously.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Area Man Saves Area

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Lightning Comics #5 (1941)

Superman #30 (1944)

Strange Tales #132 (1965)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I approve of this hardware store solution.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

It still boggles my mind that they used to print not just your full name but also your goddamn address alongside your letters.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Mr. Baps posted:

It still boggles my mind that they used to print not just your full name but also your goddamn address alongside your letters.

Dear Ira,

I read your letter in Strange Tales and really agree with you! The Thing is too weak! He should be clobbering everything in sight like a clobber machine!!

I am 9. Will you be my pen pal? I also like Captain Marvel and Bugs Bunny comics.

Sincerely,
Wade Goodman

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation

A Strange Aeon posted:

Dear Ira,

I read your letter in Strange Tales and really agree with you! The Thing is too weak! He should be clobbering everything in sight like a clobber machine!!

I am 9. Will you be my pen pal? I also like Captain Marvel and Bugs Bunny comics. I want to see Bugs nude!

Sincerely,
Wade Goodman

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Lightning Comics #5 (1941)

THATS MY PURSE

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Baps posted:

The idea (and it worked for decades) was that another comic fan could write you saying "hey, it's really cool you like the same comic as me." The concept of insane people showing up at your doorstep or SWATing you because they disagree with you didn't exist.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Darthemed posted:

Superman #30 (1944)

I like to think that the sly wink from the elevator operator is because he knows Clark is Superman. He's always going up and not coming down or coming down without having gone up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What floor do they work on? Like I frequently take the stairs at the office, maybe the security guy who sits by the elevator thinks I'm a demigod?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well it's more likely in a world with actual superheros.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
why, entire essays have been penned about Clark's spunk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Steel,_Woman_of_Kleenex

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

The idea (and it worked for decades) was that another comic fan could write you saying "hey, it's really cool you like the same comic as me." The concept of insane people showing up at your doorstep or SWATing you because they disagree with you didn't exist.

Dear Billy,

How interesting that you wrote the X-men letter column to say that Colossus is the coolest. Too bad you're patently wrong. Ponder that fact while I drive across the country to scream at your mother about how much of a mistake you are.

Love,

Greg (41)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Kevin Palpatine posted:

why, entire essays have been penned about Clark's spunk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Steel,_Woman_of_Kleenex

It's about time someone applied real word scientific principles to the reproductive capabilities of a man who can fly, see through solid matter and shoot tiny versions of himself from his fingertips

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From a Futurama/Simpsons crossover I found in a thriftstore today for $1.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

From a Futurama/Simpsons crossover I found in a thriftstore today for $1.

I feel Scott McClouds head is dating that a bit.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I saw it and worried McCloud had died.

Aragones and Kirby look great there. Love went into that picture

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I had a letter printed in an issue of Sensational Spider-Man when I was a kid and mostly I just got circulars from the kinds of mail-order back-issue shops that thrived in the 90s before online shopping really became a thing everybody did. I actually wound up using them to fill in a few missing back issues I'd been unable to find locally so it was a rousing success for everyone all around.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #106 (1963)

Future Quest #6 (2016)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looking at the size of it I'd guess that's a utahraptor and not a deinonychus. Todd.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
I think it's a dog, actually.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Todd is drawn appropriately.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #21 (1941)

Young Justice #11 (2012)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Mystery Men Comics #21 (1941)

Apparently Zanzibar the Magician is in the public domain, so free to be utilised by anyone.

*cough*milliganfegredo*cough*

Actually, a Moebius Zanzibar would have been cool. Obviously no longer possible.