Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I love this race every year, but starting in 2016 and getting to see the GTE Pro battles from 2016-2018 really spoiled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Surprisingly fun race, last year for the Alpine omnishambles which hopefully will herald some fights in the top category rather than the current farce. LMP2 and GTE were far more fun than usual, with a sudden explosion of action in the early morning today. Shame about the BoP making Ferrari unable to compete, which pretty much kneecapped iron lynx/dames.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

ACO is loving with the manufacturers since when they said "GT3 for 2024", they meant "GT3 cars with a custom package for 2024" which is supposedly 100k€+ per car, so Porsche has already publicly said they are not happy about it (while the rest awaits for ACO to react). I'm expecting Lambo to walk the corporate VAG line.
Danish TV commentators were talking about Deborah Mayer, the boss of Iron Ladies and Iron Lynx who's got lots of money and a passion for having women compete against anyone and everyone at the top of racing, talking with Lambo and working on a LMPH, and putting the Iron Ladies in one of them. :pray:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

iron dames ran extremely better than their finish would indicate, they should be on podium

i hope they have better luck next year and bop doesn't murder ferrari as hard, they could totally compete for the win
They had an insanely tough year with a slow puncture at the very start, and being BOoP'd into the ground.

They also didn't finish P9. :toot:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Presumably an actual hypercar instead of a rebadged Rebellion is going to not get BOPed because they won't have to do stupid equivalency formula tricks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am 100% gonna do everything in ny power to go to le mans in 2024, it seems like The Year to go

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Danish TV commentators were talking about Deborah Mayer, the boss of Iron Ladies and Iron Lynx who's got lots of money and a passion for having women compete against anyone and everyone at the top of racing, talking with Lambo and working on a LMPH, and putting the Iron Ladies in one of them. :pray:

Yep, that’s been rumored for a while. Iron Lynx shifting from Ferrari GT cars to Lambo, and being at least an active LMH customer, if not the Lambo works team in WEC. It would be really cool if it was Iron Dames in one car and the other was number 46…

I’ve already started talking with my dad about going next year, so it’s time to start seeing what we need to do to make that happen. It really sounds like the next few years will be special, and it’s Le Mans in any case, something that’s been on my list to see someday for more than 20 years.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

bronze, silver, gold and platinum refers to how good/experienced a driver is. amateurs are bronze. i believe bronze drivers require less time behind the wheel during the race, i dunno if the others have different time requirements from one another but they do require more time than bronze drivers in the race.

Ah this clears up what the categories are about, thanks. I was confused about that, I'd heard about all sorts of licenses drivers have to have and the concept of bronze/silver/gold was yet another thing on top.

Dudley posted:

I'm not sure which bit you don't understand.

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum are FIA driver rankings from amateur to F1. In the Am classes you're required to have at least one bronze.

There are minimum amounts of time you must drive (as much as anything to stop the best driver doing 23hrs 30 and the worst 1 lap).

If you don't meet these the car isn't legal, you will be thrown out of the race entirely. So not only will you not stand on the podium, neither will anyone else.

The reason slowzones and SCs are a problem is, if you're on the edge of someone not in the car doing their minimum, the fact this massively extends the time a fuel stint takes could seriously gently caress you.

And this applies that to the race, thanks. Yeah that did sound a bit serious, requiring pitstops just to change drivers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hilariously Martin Brundle technically qualified as a Bronze driver now.

While it wasn't a classic Le Mans is always fun and I enjoy it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Well he's in his 60s, hasn't raced at Le Mans in 10 years and has a dodgy heart. I'd rate him as gammon.

Next year is going to a be glorious mess of bitching, tantrums and politics. I hope it doesn't collapse too soon, this down period of the sportscar lifecycle has felt like a lifetime.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

^^ Yeah you're automatically bronze at 50 I believe. Which is a bit mad. If Schumacher hadn't knonked himself he'd now be Bronze. Racing Team Nederland did very well for a while using Jan Lammers that way.

Shumagorath posted:

Woke up at the 2hr mark and wish I could have stayed up for it all. Poor Corvette; we get GT3 next year, right? I remember 2024 but gently caress it I want more manufacturers NOW.

GT3 from 2024. Next year is Am only GTE. Corvette are welcome to let someone enter a C8.

SlowBloke posted:

ACO is loving with the manufacturers since when they said "GT3 for 2024", they meant "GT3 cars with a custom package for 2024" which is supposedly 100k€+ per car, so Porsche has already publicly said they are not happy about it (while the rest awaits for ACO to react). I'm expecting Lambo to walk the corporate VAG line.

Yeah it's pathetic. Make everyone spend a lot of money for no benefit other than making the ACO feel special.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

getting on the plane for NHRA's Bristol shot. I might post some tweets later this week.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Are there any goons going to go see the first Peugeot outing in July?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Are there any goons going to go see the first Peugeot outing in July?

Not July, but I’m planning on going to the Fuji race. Need to see the GTE cars before they get retired.

As posted in Discord, this weekend is Goodwood, and a couple of the LMDH brands are unveiling the new cars officially. Looks like the BMW is part of the display of BMW M racers to celebrate the 50th anniversary, and Porsche is set to officially announce their car tomorrow but…

https://twitter.com/GPiotrowicz66/status/1540041635215671300

Looks like it’s broken cover already.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bristol was cool as gently caress.

We're in Norwalk Ohio. Massive downgrade. Its actually too hot for the cars to post great speeds. There's a sweet spot in track temps and 130F is a bit past the high end.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Not July, but I’m planning on going to the Fuji race. Need to see the GTE cars before they get retired.

As posted in Discord, this weekend is Goodwood, and a couple of the LMDH brands are unveiling the new cars officially. Looks like the BMW is part of the display of BMW M racers to celebrate the 50th anniversary, and Porsche is set to officially announce their car tomorrow but…

https://twitter.com/GPiotrowicz66/status/1540041635215671300

Looks like it’s broken cover already.

Broken cover too quickly? Expect a BoP nerf then.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiXArRirhzE

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm ok with this

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

the noise of that Ferrari F60 was pretty cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Broken cover too quickly? Expect a BoP nerf then.

:hmmyes:

This is an excellent point, couple extra kegs to the Porsche then. Penske perfect this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

goddammit stop with the white and red schemes

make it blue, or green, or yellow, or literally anything else

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

goddammit stop with the white and red schemes

make it blue, or green, or yellow, or literally anything else

It's a good looking one but yeah please stop

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I quite like it, and the subtle cream instead of white gives it a nice thiccness

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, confirmed Jota running Porsche in LMDH next year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

really wasn't in the mood with all the social stuff and being in ohio but today's runs are looking great

https://twitter.com/NotBland21/status/1541085913886998530

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

coconono posted:

really wasn't in the mood with all the social stuff and being in ohio but today's runs are looking great

https://twitter.com/NotBland21/status/1541085913886998530

This is ridiculous.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Oh yeah, confirmed Jota running Porsche in LMDH next year.

Jota will be in the WEC, and sounds like JDC Miller will have a privateer car in IMSA as well.

The prototypes, they’re multiplying! Finally!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
GTD and GTD Pro winners moved to the back of their classes for drive time infringements, Heart of Racing takes a double win with their Astons

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

builds character posted:

This is ridiculous.

two wheels, 200+ MPH. Absolutely bonkers. I was screaming at the track.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Ferrari Hyper Car is a real tangible vehicle that exists in this world.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The new Pug still debuting this weekend?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

I'll let you know in a couple of days, finishing packing up as i'm typing this.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

spaceblancmange posted:

Yes, with an incredibly beneficial BoP so chances are it does very well then explodes.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Dudley posted:

Yes, with an incredibly beneficial BoP so chances are it does very well then explodes.
:france:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptEjLWW9xxo
:italy:

What is going on with that rear wing?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LMDh aero and speed limitations make it possible to run without big wings, it doesn't require much downforce via rear wings with a bit of help from astute engineering. It could also be a evolutionary item from when LMDh aero rules were still in flux, more akin to LMP1, and remained there thru the design iterations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

People with recent Formula 1 experience reading the rule book would be my guess. As mentioned the (enforced) aero target for LMH/LMDH is fairly easy to hit, hence Peugeot going without, so it’s about efficiency. Wonder what they think they’ve found there.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's not a pure downforce target, it's a lift:drag target, so the cars can have as much downforce as they want, but it's limited as far as efficiency. They're also limited to one adjustable aerodynamic device, so they pretty much have to set a general desired amount of drag and downforce for the whole season, and of course, no surprise, everyone is going for lower drag to be good at Le Mans

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
ACK! Monza closed most of the stands near curves(i think it's a reaction from last week f1 car crash) so i will have to settle for the finish line ones :(

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well that's just silly.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
maybe they should remove those stupid sausage kerbs instead :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

ACK! Monza closed most of the stands near curves(i think it's a reaction from last week f1 car crash) so i will have to settle for the finish line ones :(

Usually it’s not wanting to have staffing in areas when they don’t expect a huge crowd. Certainly is that way for stadiums and others.