Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Turns out I'm an idiot who just needed to learn about wrapping bash vars in curly brackets to import them. ${HOSTNAME} worked

https://www.shellcheck.net/ is quite handy when working with shell scripts. And it can integrate with a bunch of text editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What’s my best Linux distribution option for a touchscreen laptop, specifically a yoga 2 pro

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Zerilan posted:

What’s my best Linux distribution option for a touchscreen laptop, specifically a yoga 2 pro

Anything running GNOME I guess. I'm a Fedora guy, that's what I usually recommend.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zerilan posted:

Run 3 or 4 live boots from a usb with different desktop environments and see which one feels good. Any time you're looking for something in particular, it makes a lot of sense to try before you buy.

For really easy tryouts, use Ventoy. Instead of having to reformat the usb like rufus, you just drop multiple isos on the stick and it makes an automatic menu for them. It doesn't do persistent storage or other elaborations like a rufus stick, but that doesn't matter in this context.

(Joke answer: chrome os)

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I have sort of a linux question, I think this would be the best place to ask. My sway config is too much for me to upkeep, little things have changed upon update and I don't feel like editing anything. Was going to install Windows 10 LTSC 2021, then use a virtual machine to use EXWM. All I care about is great emacs support afterall. Has anyone else tried EXWM in a windows virtual machine, emacs nerds?

edit:

Klyith posted:

For really easy tryouts, use Ventoy. Instead of having to reformat the usb like rufus, you just drop multiple isos on the stick and it makes an automatic menu for them. It doesn't do persistent storage or other elaborations like a rufus stick, but that doesn't matter in this context.

Also, this. Ventoy saves so much time. I wish I knew about that a long time ago.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 24, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

https://www.shellcheck.net/ is quite handy when working with shell scripts. And it can integrate with a bunch of text editors.

Agreed, linting is a great tool in your shell scripting. Shellcheck has broken a few of my scripts too tho, so use with care.

Doesn't help with a yaml formatted docker-compose.yml file tho. And the linter that do check yaml just treat that as another string so don't throw an error, since its not actually failing its just not doing what I want.

That said I came up with an even better solution, since I can inline the compose file with my ansible playbook and populate per host vars that way. Its really neat.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Agreed, linting is a great tool in your shell scripting. Shellcheck has broken a few of my scripts too tho, so use with care.

Doesn't help with a yaml formatted docker-compose.yml file tho. And the linter that do check yaml just treat that as another string so don't throw an error, since its not actually failing its just not doing what I want.

That said I came up with an even better solution, since I can inline the compose file with my ansible playbook and populate per host vars that way. Its really neat.

The fact that yaml exists ... it's fine. Nukes exist too, but as long as you don't launch one, it's all cool. But developers who use yaml as their apps' configuration format of choice, really need to get checked. Something's definitely not wired right in their head.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Volguus posted:

The fact that yaml exists ... it's fine. Nukes exist too, but as long as you don't launch one, it's all cool. But developers who use yaml as their apps' configuration format of choice, really need to get checked. Something's definitely not wired right in their head.

There was a time period, in the 2000s, when people thought semantic whitespace in a language was cool. You're going to indent anyway, why not delete the braces and just rely on the indentation! Turns out it loving sucks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

There was a time period, in the 2000s, when people thought semantic whitespace in a language was cool. You're going to indent anyway, why not delete the braces and just rely on the indentation! Turns out it loving sucks

But constantly typing braces and making sure they're closed properly loving sucks too.

In short, all config files suck. Just store key value pairs in a database instead!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Ooh, Ventoy looks nice! Thanks for the pointer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volguus posted:

But developers who use yaml as their apps' configuration format of choice, really need to get checked. Something's definitely not wired right in their head.
Whether I agree or not, it's worth mentioning that Canonical is standardizing on YAML for everything between cloud-init and netplan.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I actually prefer yaml :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the major advantage of flatpak / snap over OCI-compatible containers? Both of them are just a way to bundle all of the dynamic libs or other dependencies your application needs with it. Are flatpak and snap basically a standardized, more robust way to bundle your binary with its dependencies, and update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load them?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

you know whats worse than yaml?

doing json transformations or whatever the gently caress its called. why can't I just change a setting, instead of having to editing the thing with jq and pipe it through a base64 encoder and back into your edit tool?

and it doesn't seem to loving work anyway lol

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the major advantage of flatpak / snap over OCI-compatible containers? Both of them are just a way to bundle all of the dynamic libs or other dependencies your application needs with it. Are flatpak and snap basically a standardized, more robust way to bundle your binary with its dependencies, and update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to load them?

All of those you mentioned are containers. And containers are nothing more than Linux namespaces.

The difference between flatpak/snap compared to your postgres container you might use at work is that they provide a standardised interface and configuration so they interact with the rest of your desktop. But in very simple terms, it's easy to imagine a flatpak as a container that defaults to mounting your X and Wayland sockets, creating the /dev nodes where necessary, and all that boilerplate, with "portals" that let something running inside this container to access your host system iff they have your explicit permission, so a text editor inside a Flatpak can open a file in your home directory even though it doesn't really have access to your ~. Additionally they have standardised "runtimes" so instead of being based off ubuntu:18.04, they use an image with most GUI libs preinstalled such as libpng, zlib, curl, wayland, libX11, gtk (in case of the Gtk runtime), or kde libs, etc.

Now, the difference between flatpak and snap themselves is that flatpak rocks and snap sucks penises. But in more serious terms, my main qualms are that the Snap Store™ is a proprietary product of Canonical, and a step towards creating an Embrace Extend Extinguish platform on Linux, while Flatpak is completely open source and Flathub is going through the Cambrian explosion of every packageable app being packaged for it, which is loving incredible for the Linux desktop.

Ask me more about Flatpak, I'm an unpaid zealot and I run Fedora Silverblue, which is basically a completely immutable system where every desktop app is a Flatpak (except emacs which runs inside an Arch Linux toolbox).

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 25, 2022

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Flatpak is great for running apps that are not really packaged for your distro of choice or are in some way proprietary. I.E. Signal desktop and Steam respectively. For Steam it keeps me from having to pollute my base system with 32 bit x86 multilib.

One tip is to do a home directory install with --user. The default command line has an implicit --system and installs in /var/lib/flatpak.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To expand on the dumb things snap does, it updates snaps automatically without notifying or asking you at all, which has completely hosed my system before and has also placed me outside of a licensed version of software, which was fun figuring out how to reinstall everything and prevent it from doing it again.

I dunno if that whole situation has improved since I've since sworn it off... Actually i did try and use it again for another project and it was a huge hassle to figure out where it stores the writeable mounts as i needed to modify the /etc config for a snap application. Also a terrible experience, and I work with containers for a living.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 25, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm planning on turning an old ThinkPad (2017 or so) into a home server*, but I want to keep the option of using it as a PC in a pinch.

So I'm going to install Fedora Kinoite on it, because I'm very happy with it on my main PC, and all my services will run in Podman anyway.

First: what are the downsides of using Fedora Workstation as a server, instead of Fedora Server? Security, performance? (I will probably turn the Pi4 that's my current home server into a bastion server and DMZ, which should reduce the attack surface considerably).

Second: how do I configure Linux so that it boots in headless mode by default, with KDE and all workstation-type services and daemons disabled, but keeping them installed so I can re-enable them and go into desktop mode with a single script?

* Unrelated, but I still don't know whether to leave the battery in. On one side, built-in UPS is nice for a server. On the other side, fire hazard. On the other other side, I can configure it so it stays at 40-50% charge which is what manufacturers recommend for batteries that stay plugged in 24/7, and many offices are full of permanently plugged-in laptops and they don't seem to have regular battery fires. I could also place it inside an open-topped metallic box for extra fire safety, and I will place it on its side for better ventilation which will make any battery swelling visible. Thoughts?

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

NihilCredo posted:

I'm planning on turning an old ThinkPad (2017 or so) into a home server*, but I want to keep the option of using it as a PC in a pinch.

So I'm going to install Fedora Kinoite on it, because I'm very happy with it on my main PC, and all my services will run in Podman anyway.

First: what are the downsides of using Fedora Workstation as a server, instead of Fedora Server? Security, performance? (I will probably turn the Pi4 that's my current home server into a bastion server and DMZ, which should reduce the attack surface considerably).

Second: how do I configure Linux so that it boots in headless mode by default, with KDE and all workstation-type services and daemons disabled, but keeping them installed so I can re-enable them and go into desktop mode with a single script?

* Unrelated, but I still don't know whether to leave the battery in. On one side, built-in UPS is nice for a server. On the other side, fire hazard. On the other other side, I can configure it so it stays at 40-50% charge which is what manufacturers recommend for batteries that stay plugged in 24/7, and many offices are full of permanently plugged-in laptops and they don't seem to have regular battery fires. I could also place it inside an open-topped metallic box for extra fire safety, and I will place it on its side for better ventilation which will make any battery swelling visible. Thoughts?

If you really want to go immutable desktop, I suggest Silverblue. Kinoite is still buggy (completely breaks your system if you install with UK timezone, I opened the bug report a year ago, it's a confirmed bug and AFAIK still isn't fixed)

Don't get me wrong, if you're more comfortable administering a server with a GUI, you probably shouldn't make your life even harder by chosing an immutable distribution. Get Fedora Server and save yourself a few headaches.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 25, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

Do you plan to expose any services to the internet?

I wouldn't worry about the battery thing. As you say, plenty of offices are filled with laptops that are plugged in and on 24/7.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lifroc posted:

If you really want to go immutable desktop, I suggest Silverblue. Kinoite is still buggy (completely breaks your system if you install with UK timezone, I opened the bug report a year ago, it's a confirmed bug and AFAIK still isn't fixed)

Don't get me wrong, if you're more comfortable administering a server with a GUI, you probably shouldn't make your life even harder by chosing an immutable distribution. Get Fedora Server and save yourself a few headaches.

Lol, that's one heck of a bug. Really though, I've been running Kinoite on my desktop since it was Rawhide-only and have only had minor issues, even with a NVidia card.

The only thing that gives me pause about using it for a server is that rpm-ostree upgrade requires a reboot, but it's not a big deal since I'm the only user so far (some of my friends have access to nextcloud/navidrome but obviously they don't rely on it)

VostokProgram posted:

Do you plan to expose any services to the internet?

Yep, my ISP provides static IPs so my home server is online, no VPN, I'm a dev so I set up a Caddy reverse proxy.

My current Pi runs a headless distro and the only open ports are 80+443+a nonstandard ssh port+whatever port bittorrent uses. Like I said, I might keep it as a bastion / backup server for extra safety, in which case the laptop won't be directly exposed to the internet, only mapped in the Caddyfile.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have very mixed feelings about snaps.

On one hand it's a sound evolution of the distro package manager. They're not totally desktop focused (it's reasonable to package command line programs in a snap) and they even support different "confinement" models.

To give one helpful example, it's always frustrating to me that the version of Ruby packaged with distros is always like a year behind official release. If you actually have a need to try new language features your options historically have been to use a third-party installer, a sketchy PPA (or equivalent), or compile from source. These days the Ruby core team publishes their own Ruby snap and it even features multiple release channels. That very convenient.

On the downside I dislike how Snapcraft is proprietary and the daily forced updates are problematic in enterprise environments where the client requires any software update to be performed on a pre-approved schedule.

It's also annoying that the "base" Ubuntu server installation now depends on a snap for LXD, since the LXD team (sponsored by Canonical!) no longer wants to spend the effort to provide distro-specific packages. I don't really care to use LXD (although maybe I'd try it if it didn't have to this problem) but I'm now forced to purge snapd on Ubuntu installs due to the aforementioned update approval requirement.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

NihilCredo posted:

Don't install a display manager (e.g., sddm) or disable the systemd service if you do have one installed.

When you need to launch KDE you can login to a tty and run "startx", or for Wayland "dbus-run-sesion startplasma-wayland".

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The systemd equivalent of runlevels is systemctl set-default. For non graphical it's systemctl set-default multi-user.target and for graphical it's systemctl set-default graphical.target

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I installed a new RTX 3080 today and for whatever reason I could not get my OpenSUSE 15.3 desktop to get to a graphical display of any kind. It would go from GRUB to a normal loading process, then just black video output. It wouldm't even drop to a command line - it just outputted a black signal. hosed around trying a few things to rescue it, then figured I'd check to see if 15.4 was out yet. It was, so I ran an upgrade install and am back up and running. The system seems perfectly happy with the 3080 now, but whatever it was doing under 15.3 is a mystery to me. It was running fine with an RTX 2070 Super immediately beforehand, so I'm not sure why it choked on the 3080. Maybe the kernel on 15.3 was the problem?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Kivi posted:

I noticed that /proc/meminfo had CommitLimit of 72 or so GB so I put in vm.overcommit_ratio 90 and vm.overcommit_memory 2 as per some guides I found and will have a test if that's the issue.

E: didn't help, still process spits out "out of memory" after ca. 72 GB of memory used.
Tried numactl and giving all the nodes' memory to the process as it turns out the box I was using was dual socket thingy. Either I failed at doing it (numactl --interleave=all /path/to/bin/14/pg_upgrade_bin --tons --of --options) or it's not the issue either.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

waffle iron posted:

The systemd equivalent of runlevels is systemctl set-default. For non graphical it's systemctl set-default multi-user.target and for graphical it's systemctl set-default graphical.target
I know I got my red text for a reason and all, but this isn't meant as one of those posts - however, I'm really curious if there's an actual stated reasons behind the run-levels of SysV.

Is the idea that graphics are a core part of any OS including ones for a server where you don't necessarily want to waste CPU cycles on a GUI, and that you have more than two levels because sometimes you don't want the graphics to run?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I always assumed it was because "back in the day" graphics were buggy (they're still buggy) and you might want to shutdown/restart the display manager while leaving the rest of the OS intact.

Personally I don't like display mangers. I've always had issues with them. I've been using "startx" for 25 years and if I need to start the window manager automatically on a kiosked system I do it from ~/. profile.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

NihilCredo posted:

The only thing that gives me pause about using it for a server is that rpm-ostree upgrade requires a reboot, but it's not a big deal since I'm the only user so far (some of my friends have access to nextcloud/navidrome but obviously they don't rely on it)

AFAIK that's the point of CoreOS. Everything runs in containers, and the system can be configured to update and reboot automatically at specific times to apply the rare system update. I plan to migrate my VPS to CoreOS for this exact reason.

What I usually do with my Silverblue workstation is enable auto-staging of rpm-ostree updates, so I don't have to run "upgrade" manually, but every time I reboot for whatever reason I boot into an updated system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hope you're talking Fedora CoreOS because RedHat killed the actual CoreOS.

In practice there's probably zero difference between the two (there's only issues if you have to migrate from one to the other), I'm just mad at RedHat's silly approach to how they integrate products they buy.

(also the way it spawns a flood of forks by people that are also mad, because all the world needs is even more linux distributions)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I always assumed it was because "back in the day" graphics were buggy (they're still buggy) and you might want to shutdown/restart the display manager while leaving the rest of the OS intact.

Personally I don't like display mangers. I've always had issues with them. I've been using "startx" for 25 years and if I need to start the window manager automatically on a kiosked system I do it from ~/. profile.
SysV init (and BSD init, for that matter) has a very short list of things it must be capable of including 1) (re)starting virtual consoles, 2) switching runtimes, 3) reloading configuration from disk if it receives SIGHUP (I'd like to believe most daemons do this, but I'm sure that's not the case), and shutting down/rebooting the system.
Since a display manager is just another virtual console, I'm not sure I understand how it's different than how you handle misbehaving virtual consoles (ie. change ttys(5), kill -HUP 1)?

If you startx, it requires you to also login first - and back when Xorg zapping was enabled by default, it was trivial to gain user-privileged access to any Unix-like.
Of course, Xorg doesn't ship with zapping enabled anymore (at least not as far as I know, maybe it does some places), but it's still not impossible to cause it to crash, which also gives user-privileged access.

All of this, though, is slightly marred by Xorg running as root - but that's one of the strengths of Wayland.
As an example, I'm running sway with the ly display manager, and this means that the only processes that runs as root on my system are various system processes like init, adjkerntz, automountd (for NFS automounting), seatd, powerd, moused, cron, and the virtual consoles.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 26, 2022

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
What is the best way to get system metrics from a Linux machine? And have them be posted to a Kafka server?

I got Collectd working but it just doesn't give enough info for me to do something with it without creating a bunch of shell scripts and use the Exec plugin.

Something like HTOP that would just create a JSON file would be awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm in love with netdata but it's probably not for everyone.. I converted us to prometheus several years ago for metrics storage and netdata fit into that seamlessly.

Pretty sure it lets you output with json, I've never done it though.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

xzzy posted:

I'm in love with netdata but it's probably not for everyone.. I converted us to prometheus several years ago for metrics storage and netdata fit into that seamlessly.

Pretty sure it lets you output with json, I've never done it though.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

What I really want is a combination of metrics but also things like: listening processes, active connections, cpu usage and some info like attached disks (what kind).

For this I'll probably need to write something?

Edit: sysdig seems nice.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Since a display manager is just another virtual console, I'm not sure I understand how it's different than how you handle misbehaving virtual consoles (ie. change ttys(5), kill -HUP 1)?
You're assuming a functional video driver instead of a broken mess.

If you startx, it requires you to also login first - and back when Xorg zapping was enabled by default, it was trivial to gain user-privileged access to any Unix-like.
Fine, "startx & logout".

All of this, though, is slightly marred by Xorg running as root - but that's one of the strengths of Wayland.
Well these days I run Chrome OS with an OpenBox-in-Xephyr session. I'd be more interested in Wayland if there was a good OpenBox-like.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You're assuming a functional video driver instead of a broken mess.

Fine, "startx & logout".

Well these days I run Chrome OS with an OpenBox-in-Xephyr session. I'd be more interested in Wayland if there was a good OpenBox-like.
I guess I don't know how to respond to this, since if it's broken to the point that I can't ssh to the box, I'm just going to use the power switch instead :shrug:

Yeah, startx & logout works - but unless it's changed, a surprising amount of people who use the first part of that don't use the second part.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that Wayland is perfect; it's pretty far from it.
It's missing color profile support (well, it wasn't implemented until recently, but no compositor implements it), doing display mirroring+extending isn't really supported because workspaces can't overlap, and Firefox can be a bit crashy if there's minor API differences caused by Wayland being built more recently than Firefox.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I guess I don't know how to respond to this, since if it's broken to the point that I can't ssh to the box, I'm just going to use the power switch instead :shrug:
This is getting into the weeds a bit, but there was a time when XFree86 video drivers might work fine the first time since POST, but trying to reinitialize a display might leave you with a black screen, or crash, or something like that. So using a display manager would start two X sessions, the first for the login and the second for the user, and you might never get to the second. But a console login might still work fine.

Thankfully these days with UEFI framebuffer takeovers and modesetting and all everything just works peachy-keen out of the box. Or rather, I recently learned the Ubuntu server 22.04 installer still supports serial consoles.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Switched back to a Linux desktop after seeing how well the Deck does with Proton. Running Fedora 36 right now after having tried a few others, may still switch to Arch or EndeavourOS.

Couple things that may be useful to folks here.
- Wayland works fine for me in almost everything, but unfortunately not Citrix Workspace and Zoom which have minor but annoying issues. Workspace runs and renders the remote Windows desktop but has constant flickering issues that go away with Xorg. Likewise Zoom which has some dropped frames when rendering my own camera but folks on the call don't see any drops. I'll stick to Xorg during the work day at least.
- Several installers/live install isos presented blank screens when booting due to my Nvidia card. Adding "nomodeset" to the end of the Grub params fixed it in all instances. (Had a weird issue with my main keyboard where the right half would only produce numbers when in grub edit mode - but plugging in another keyboard let me type in "nomodeset.")

E: Another Wayland/Xorg difference of note worth mentioning. Citrix Workspace in full screen mode under Xorg gets full access to all keystrokes including Alt-Tab, various Super- bindings, etc. In Wayland those always go to whatever process has a binding for them, which can be annoying. I prefer full screen apps having full control so I can alt-tab around in my Windows Citrix session when in full screen for instance.

Feels good to be back in a Unix desktop after more than a decade (other than OSX with its BSD runtime). Started on Slackware in the 90's as my first personal Unix then ran FreeBSD, Solaris x86 (6 & 7), NetBSD (on a DEC Alpha Workstation!) and now back to Linux again. Also HPUX and SunOS 4 (BSD-based!) in school, but those weren't my installs. So it's full circle and I'm happy to be able to play games on a Unix again - it's a major thrill to see Elden Ring just work. I played Doom for the firt time in a tiny X window on an HPUX workstation in school.

E: Wanted to give a shout out to Tiling Assistant if anyone else misses Windows Power Tools Fancy Zones: https://github.com/Leleat/Tiling-Assistant/blob/main/GUIDE.md. Does all that Fancy Zones does and lot more besides in a very neat litle package. It's not a full on tiling wm but runs alongside your existing wm which I find useful.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 27, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

v1ld posted:

- Wayland works fine for me in almost everything, but unfortunately not Citrix Workspace and Zoom which have minor but annoying issues. Workspace runs and renders the remote Windows desktop but has constant flickering issues that go away with Xorg. Likewise Zoom which has some dropped frames when rendering my own camera but folks on the call don't see any drops. I'll stick to Xorg during the work day at least.

Haven't noticed dropped frame with Zoom myself. Be aware that there was a major Zoom release literally a couple days ago that improved Wayland support, such as screensharing I hear is working fine now. Worth giving it a try. I don't have weird screenshare or remote desktop requirements, so I've been running Fedora w/ Wayland full time. The laggy and tearing feel of X.org was annoying 5 years ago, I can't stand it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is there any equivalent to xrdp for Wayland at this point? The only thing I've been able to find is Gnome-Remote-Desktop, which seems to support the RDP protocol but apparently can only be used if you're already logged in locally?