Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Could it be one of the Hanse-games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

A 1990s isometric platformer/puzzle game.
The character you control looked weird as hell and gave me nightmares.
What is it?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Actual Satan posted:

What is it?

Have an idea of the system?

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Pc

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It'd be funny if you're thinking of Voodoo Nightmare (1990)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FFT posted:

That was going to be my guess, as well.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Amiga and Atari ST, though, but "PC" is a very broad category

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

FFT posted:

No, weirder graphic than that. Possible early 3D, looked a bit like claymation but it wasn't claymation. I played it on Windows. Please, it's haunting me.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Actual Satan posted:

No, weirder graphic than that. Possible early 3D, looked a bit like claymation but it wasn't claymation. I played it on Windows. Please, it's haunting me.

Twinsen's odyssey / little big adventure 1 or 2?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Neverhood?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Actual Satan posted:

What is it?
A quick search for isometric games led me to the 1994 Mystic Towers which seems like it could fit your descriptions.

Edit: Found two other titles that could possibly be it too, Haunting Starring Polterguy and Cadaver.

Ah, I see you found it, but was fun to look at some of these old games while searching.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 24, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Billy Gnosis posted:

My guess as well

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's a (relatively, compared to The Neverhood) new game out called Everhood or something like that and I get really confused when people talk about it because I keep thinking of this game.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Billy Gnosis posted:

YES it was definitely one of the games in this series. And looking at it now I have no idea why it freaked out my little kid self so much.

Thank you internet people. I now have inner peace.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Good timing, because those games just got a 25th anniversary update at the end of May.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Actual Satan posted:

YES it was definitely one of the games in this series. And looking at it now I have no idea why it freaked out my little kid self so much.

Thank you internet people. I now have inner peace.

They ported those to a new engine with controller support and such, just released a few days ago as free updates for the Steam versions (probably elsewhere too I'm not sure), so now's a very good time to be thinking about those games.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

There's a (relatively, compared to The Neverhood) new game out called Everhood or something like that and I get really confused when people talk about it because I keep thinking of this game.

Everhood is really very good, if you like rhythm games! And the soundtrack is (unsurprisingly) baller as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQ1FBh40TM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSj7OhJ1v2w

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Are they actually fun, for adult humans in the year 2022?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Great, now I'm going to mix up Neverhood with Foreverhood AND Everhood.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Trying to remember a game on steam that was like a puzzle dungeon crawler with meta progression. From what little I remember: the graphics were awful, each level took hours to finish, every enemy killed gave you some stats, you could undo as many moves as you wanted, which was helpful because you would make thousands of them before you got to the end of any level. I'm not sure if it was free with a bunch of levels you had to buy or just had a generous demo.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Everhood is really very good, if you like rhythm games! And the soundtrack is (unsurprisingly) baller as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQ1FBh40TM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSj7OhJ1v2w
I'm sadly a white dude with no sense of rhythm so rhythm games are not exactly my cup of tea. I turned off the rhythm mode in the Cadence of Hyrule demo and still had problems with that game.

Dip Viscous posted:

Great, now I'm going to mix up Neverhood with Foreverhood AND Everhood.
Glad to be of service. :v:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Trying to remember a game on steam that was like a puzzle dungeon crawler with meta progression. From what little I remember: the graphics were awful, each level took hours to finish, every enemy killed gave you some stats, you could undo as many moves as you wanted, which was helpful because you would make thousands of them before you got to the end of any level. I'm not sure if it was free with a bunch of levels you had to buy or just had a generous demo.

Tactical Nexus?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yes thank you.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Actual Satan posted:

Are they actually fun, for adult humans in the year 2022?

I reinstalled and played them last year and still loved them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

There was a Norse mythology game within the last two years, it's a base building game and it's co-op. Top down sorta kinda view (isometric maybe?). Decent graphics. You had to go and loot stuff then build a base and there were those big Ice Trolls that could come and attack.

It had mixed reviews but seemed fun.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Qubee posted:

There was a Norse mythology game within the last two years, it's a base building game and it's co-op. Top down sorta kinda view (isometric maybe?). Decent graphics. You had to go and loot stuff then build a base and there were those big Ice Trolls that could come and attack.

It had mixed reviews but seemed fun.

Northgard?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Or possibly Frozenheim.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Valheim, but that's 3rd person.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

All thinking along the same track, but it's not those three. Think co-op base builder tower defense Norse game. Isometric is the wrong term, shouldn't have said that. It's 3rd person. It's not an RTS.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Tribes of Midgard, maybe?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Tribes of Midgard, maybe?

That's the one, cheers

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I have been thinking for years about that one PC street racing game I played in 2006 or some years earlier at someone's place my grandmother was visiting. I was like 7 then. It had a city, but also areas around the city that looked kinda canyon-ish? Like big vertical brownish walls that resembled a canyon around the road. I think you could also go off the road a little in those areas? I really can't remember any other details, besides that CRT display I played it on.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That describes a lot of racing games, unfortunately. Do you remember anything about the art style? Maybe Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That describes a lot of racing games, unfortunately. Do you remember anything about the art style? Maybe Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2?

No cops. The canyon textures were very brown. I'm aware that I may not get any help here. I've seen many old street racing games over the years and none seemed to have those canyon-ish areas...

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The only PC racing game I can really remember with a violently brown canyon in it is Ignition, but that's all the way back from 1997. Might still be worth checking out I guess.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sininu posted:

No cops. The canyon textures were very brown. I'm aware that I may not get any help here. I've seen many old street racing games over the years and none seemed to have those canyon-ish areas...

Street racing and canyons reminds me of Need For Speed Carbon, but that's too popular for it to be that (and no off road, it's touge).

Anything else that would help? Style, cars, etc?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Violently brown? Comedy answer: QuakeRally

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Serperoth posted:

Street racing and canyons reminds me of Need For Speed Carbon, but that's too popular for it to be that (and no off road, it's touge).

Anything else that would help? Style, cars, console etc?

Deffo not Carbon. I know Carbon well. It was street racing with tuner cars and on PC. It played like NFS games. The game was not off-road game, it just had gravel parts around the road outside city. I recall it having nighttime in city for sure, but I also remember daytime outside city, so day and night cycle??

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Screamer 2 maybe? It's a little older than what you asked for, but it sure has some blocky brown canyons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm getting more and more convinced that game doesn't exist.