Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This may be a stupid question and the answer is just "go to the local art supply store" but does anyone have good resources for getting quality drawing paper in index card size? I like keeping around 3 by 5 index cards for doodling but the typical ones are very cheap paper

Short of cutting larger paper with a scissors I can't think of a good cheap option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Zoben posted:

Cool, I like the contrast/chiaroscuro on the clown. Did you do a texture in Photoshop in the background?

This one's done in terms of black and white

Jesus Christ your stuff is sick as hell

Booyah- posted:

This may be a stupid question and the answer is just "go to the local art supply store" but does anyone have good resources for getting quality drawing paper in index card size? I like keeping around 3 by 5 index cards for doodling but the typical ones are very cheap paper

Short of cutting larger paper with a scissors I can't think of a good cheap option

that's gonna be the right answer without knowing what you have in mind for high quality, to go IRL and feel a bunch of different kinds of paper and see what you like. then you can have an idea of what weights and materials of paper you like

if you already have larger paper you like you could get a papper cutter that would be much easier than scissors

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 15, 2022

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Booyah- posted:

something like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Strathmore-400-Series-Wire-Bound-Recycled-Sketch-Pad-3-5-x-5-100-Sheets/41241470

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Booyah- posted:

I buy a ton of decent watercolor paper in precut small sizes by buying postcard books. Strathmore has some great ones. You can order online from dickblick, Utrecht, amazon, etc.

The hardest part it learning what kind of paper you actually like - cold press, hot pressed, gsm, etc. But once you figure that out finding pads of it gets really easy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Honestly I just bought some really big pieces and I cut them to size when I use them. For little unimportant sketches though I'll do those on whatever.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Booyah- posted:

It is also a bit dependent on your location on the globe. More local paper is more affordable so before I go and suggest some fine French or Italian papers, where you at?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks for all the advice, this has been super helpful. I'm in the states btw

silicone thrills posted:

The hardest part it learning what kind of paper you actually like - cold press, hot pressed, gsm, etc. But once you figure that out finding pads of it gets really easy.

I should learn about this then, I have a favorite paper that's not labeled or branded so trying to match it would be good

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Booyah- posted:

Thanks for all the advice, this has been super helpful. I'm in the states btw

I should learn about this then, I have a favorite paper that's not labeled or branded so trying to match it would be good

One of my favorite painters uses 40 lb Fabriano Cold Press. Take that for what you will. He manages to use a poo poo ton of acrylic and floetrol and it never warps ... well not noticeably anyways. He taught me that many years ago. At least if you are going for acrylic washes / glazing.

http://www.michaelpukac.com/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Booyah- posted:

https://legionpaper.com/artist-pad-collection

I love Legion paper, they're all very high quality and there's a lot of variety in material and style. The Yupo line is treeless and incredible but difficult to work with, it's basically very thin sheets of paper-like plastic. 100% non-absorbant, stainproof, no grain at all so you can get flawlessly smooth paint on it. Everything else is 100% cotton.

They sell 2.5"x3.75" mini pads (10 sheets) for $1.99/pad individually or less if you buy a sample pack of all of them, which sounds like what you want! Smaller than you're looking for but :shrug: it's $25.50 for 10 sheets each of 15 different papers.

e: There's a breakdown of each paper type on this page:
https://legionpaper.com/artist-pads/

and here's a review where someone went through each of them and wrote up their thoughts with example photos of how different drawing utensils looked on them.
https://www.parkablogs.com/content/testing-11-paper-samples-legion-paper

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 18, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

and here's a review where someone went through each of them and wrote up their thoughts with example photos of how different drawing utensils looked on them.
https://www.parkablogs.com/content/testing-11-paper-samples-legion-paper
Teoh never fails to deliver

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I bought Richard Schmid's book Alla Prima and it had a cool picture of a chicken in it:

I really liked the looseness of it so I tried to copy it:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finished the last painting I'm doing for my class. Definitely going to do another one soon.

Hated trying to paint that crazy loving pot with all the handles. Gave up on it mostly.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Crain posted:

Finished the last painting I'm doing for my class. Definitely going to do another one soon.

Hated trying to paint that crazy loving pot with all the handles. Gave up on it mostly.

Very nice! You might find this video about edges interesting (I noticed you're mostly using hard edges)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhj5efzN_w

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Claeaus posted:

Very nice! You might find this video about edges interesting (I noticed you're mostly using hard edges)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhj5efzN_w

yeah, part of that is learning how to physically manipulate the paint itself. The acrylics dried super fast (I think the particular studio we were in was super dry because the ceramics studio was next door and kiln dried the whole area out). Playing with some airbrush medium to thin out paints to get shading and stuff worked some, but was hard to do with the whole object or on borders.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

acrylics should really not be the go-to for painting pictures. even with the additives that are supposed to keep them wet longer they are just crap to work with. oils are a thousand times better.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

speaking of which, a couple recent oil paintings of mine

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well I had my final class and did some fixes for hard edges (or as best I could). Played around with coating the canvas with airbrush medium (by itself) first and giving it a minute before hitting it with paint thinned with AB Medium or just plain paint. I think it came out pretty good. Lots of smudging with my fingers tho.

And a close up of the apple cause I really liked how it came together:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Heres another quick oil painting i jammed out in an hour today. you've heard of bigfoot, well here's "bigbutt."

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

That rules and so do the ciggie cowboys.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I did a 16x20 paint pour last night and I'm mostly happy with it. I maybe could've used a darker purple for some contrast:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Not sure where else to ask this, but does anyone have a good place to buy uncut art frame molding? Most places online seem to only be either: Basic kits that look boring or mainly for posters or art supply wholesalers who you can't just buy from and minimum orders are like thousands of dollars.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I used to work for a frame shop and you could buy single like 8-12-16ft lengths of any specific frame from our local supplier but the key is learning whatever that is in your local area. I'm like 15 years out from this but I think we used Jayeness in seattle.

One thing you might be able to do is call a local framing company and ask if you could buy frame moulding by the foot and piggy back on their order or just find out what their supplier is by browsing around and being nice and asking questions. I think we did that sort of thing at our spot every so often.

Searching for local millwork shops can help too. Just google maps and click around the industrial district of your area.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I used to work for a frame shop and you could buy single like 8-12-16ft lengths of any specific frame from our local supplier but the key is learning whatever that is in your local area. I'm like 15 years out from this but I think we used Jayeness in seattle.

One thing you might be able to do is call a local framing company and ask if you could buy frame moulding by the foot and piggy back on their order or just find out what their supplier is by browsing around and being nice and asking questions. I think we did that sort of thing at our spot every so often.

Searching for local millwork shops can help too. Just google maps and click around the industrial district of your area.

This is all good advice. I still work in the framing business (sort of - it's not a retail framer), and unfortunately most suppliers to the frame shops I have been at will only do wholesale/b2b.

I think your best bet really would be to go to local frame shops and ask - especially ask if they have things in stock they would want to sell for cheap. I have worked at places that give artists special discounts. Cultivating a relationship with a framer or two would be my advice. Most framers have at least a few sticks of moulding they would love to sell off.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

HungryMedusa posted:

I have worked at places that give artists special discounts. Cultivating a relationship with a framer or two would be my advice. Most framers have at least a few sticks of moulding they would love to sell off.

Yep I forgot about this but we did this too and did tax exempt sales to people with a business license. I remember having to enter ITN codes in now.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been working more consistently lately so i've got a few things to share :3

Probably need 1 more small detail session on this one but its close - saw some cute lil duckies at a near by park

About to varnish this one - Crow from my back yard

This one I just got pretty close to tying up last night - need to futz with the dry grass some more but super happy with the crow itself.

Selling through my existing inventory and its really puffing me up.

Also started making time lapse videos on insta and TikTok - Probably gonna tie the time lapses into my listing on etsy.

Im definitely feeling continual improvement. There was a while where I felt like I was stagnating and im really happy.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Been working more consistently lately so i've got a few things to share :3

Probably need 1 more small detail session on this one but its close - saw some cute lil duckies at a near by park

About to varnish this one - Crow from my back yard

This one I just got pretty close to tying up last night - need to futz with the dry grass some more but super happy with the crow itself.

Selling through my existing inventory and its really puffing me up.

Also started making time lapse videos on insta and TikTok - Probably gonna tie the time lapses into my listing on etsy.

Im definitely feeling continual improvement. There was a while where I felt like I was stagnating and im really happy.

These are really cool - you get a lot of great detail into small canvases!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

HungryMedusa posted:

This is all good advice. I still work in the framing business (sort of - it's not a retail framer), and unfortunately most suppliers to the frame shops I have been at will only do wholesale/b2b.

I think your best bet really would be to go to local frame shops and ask - especially ask if they have things in stock they would want to sell for cheap. I have worked at places that give artists special discounts. Cultivating a relationship with a framer or two would be my advice. Most framers have at least a few sticks of moulding they would love to sell off.

This was really helpful. I went into old town here and found a independent framing shop (and rug store, and art gallery, and carpet cleaning service, 60% off everything, lol) and asked the old guy there about this.

I told him what I was up to (trying to frame 5 pieces to submit to an open call for submissions, my first one) and he was very excited for me, and said he loved my stuff. He took me to his basement full of random empty frames and molding and said to have at it and ignore the price stickers as he offered to do all 5 for $250 flat (matboard and glass included).

I don't even care if that's ultimately crazy profit on his part because that's the cost that Michael's and a couple other stores quoted for one 8x10 piece for boring as gently caress framing.

I put two aside that I really liked but couldn't decide on the rest so he said to come back with the other pieces and "we play around, like trying on suits". He did also say he could sell me some lengths of raw molding but honestly I don't have the space or tools to work with it in right now anyway.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Speaking as someone that’s dabbled with making my own frames… 5 custom frames for $250 is a loving steal

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crain posted:

This was really helpful. I went into old town here and found a independent framing shop (and rug store, and art gallery, and carpet cleaning service, 60% off everything, lol) and asked the old guy there about this.

I told him what I was up to (trying to frame 5 pieces to submit to an open call for submissions, my first one) and he was very excited for me, and said he loved my stuff. He took me to his basement full of random empty frames and molding and said to have at it and ignore the price stickers as he offered to do all 5 for $250 flat (matboard and glass included).

I don't even care if that's ultimately crazy profit on his part because that's the cost that Michael's and a couple other stores quoted for one 8x10 piece for boring as gently caress framing.

I put two aside that I really liked but couldn't decide on the rest so he said to come back with the other pieces and "we play around, like trying on suits". He did also say he could sell me some lengths of raw molding but honestly I don't have the space or tools to work with it in right now anyway.

That's so rad! And an incredible deal. In my experience local frame store folks really get into it for the love of being around art and interacting with artists and your experience reinforces mine :3

HungryMedusa posted:

These are really cool - you get a lot of great detail into small canvases!

Thank you! I figure working small is one of my better bets to keep selling things easily and idk a couple of years ago I got sucked in a blick sale and bought like 24 8x10 canvases and another 20 something 9x12s so I figure ill burn through them then work up through my 14x18s and 16x20s once I get my shipping game locked down.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Speaking as someone that’s dabbled with making my own frames… 5 custom frames for $250 is a loving steal

Well, specifically he meant already made, empty frames that he had in his stock room. But they all looked really good. When I get the first two on Tuesday I'll post a picture of what they look like.

silicone thrills posted:

That's so rad! And an incredible deal. In my experience local frame store folks really get into it for the love of being around art and interacting with artists and your experience reinforces mine :3

Yeah he was super nice and it really made me feel good about submitting stuff. I've only ever shown stuff to friends and family (and a few here) and while they generally get positive remarks you always wonder what a total stranger would think.

silicone thrills posted:

Thank you! I figure working small is one of my better bets to keep selling things easily and idk a couple of years ago I got sucked in a blick sale and bought like 24 8x10 canvases and another 20 something 9x12s so I figure ill burn through them then work up through my 14x18s and 16x20s once I get my shipping game locked down.

At least 8x10 isn't really that small (my first 6 or so were all 3x8" which is making framing them a bitch), but my art professor from the class said that an early "trap" is thinking that smaller is easier. Bigger is actually easier to put details into, which smaller pieces require a good eye for simplifying detail and can be hard to get a composition going.

That said: lol you do not have that problem. I love the crow on the dry grass painting.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone have any recommendations for embossing art? I have a friend who does linocuts, so I have access to a press roller, but am weighing what approach would be quickest for creating a template for that.

I'm not looking at more than one layer of indentation, and am assuming some sort of 3d printer product may do the job... but those are expensive and I'm not sure if they can endure the press. Ideally, the method would involve making the art, scanning, creating a 'embossed' layer and making the press-bit from that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a 3d printer would probably be the "least" work but you're likely to still need to do some sanding or finish work unless you can use a resin printer. There are different materials that would surely survive a printing press as long as it's not a ginormous piece. linocuts and woodcuts are ok but you could also consider etching where you print a mask on a sheet of metal (copper) and dissolve some of rest to create raised letters. Or of course cutting by hand

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 27, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

The first two frames came in.

Super happy with them. I picked out the other three frames today and I cannot wait.

Funny framing talk while the dude was working on finalizing the frames: He was saying that art framing "it's a mob system. There's like...3-4 families that control the whole US. Doesn't matter where you go, it's ultimately from one of those 4 families. So I can't even sell you molding if I wanted. You could offer me $10k and if the families found out I'm blacklisted."

Lol sure, dude just doesn't wanna sell his molding to avoid losing out, which is fine since it's a good deal.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

just made my first print. looking for some advice.

What I would like to do is make these prints then add color with watercolor. is there an ink made specifically for printmaking that will hold up to this? The ones they have at the store all say they're water soluble. This print was made with oil paint thinned with a bit of galkyd lite and a bit of thinner.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Doctor Dogballs posted:

What I would like to do is make these prints then add color with watercolor. is there an ink made specifically for printmaking that will hold up to this? The ones they have at the store all say they're water soluble. This print was made with oil paint thinned with a bit of galkyd lite and a bit of thinner.

Yup there are a bunch of oil-based relief ink, though you might need to go online. Cranfield is what I usually use, and they have one that can be cleaned with soap and water. Does your local store have the speedball fabric ink? I think those are water-safe too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have some speedball oil based relief ink and it makes pretty good looking prints that you could watercolor over.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Took a break from all the birds and decided to do some transportation and sunset. Little bigger here at 9x12. Also switched up to a thinner medium. The smell from liquin Impasto was just murdering my brain.

Also a variation from the same photoset and ferry. Just like 20 min earlier

Having fun getting better at waves. I used to hate doing things like boats but I'm really feeling goof about these. I actually found them quite exciting as they came together.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks good

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

If you're dead-set on using oil paint as a block print medium, check this stuff out:

Basically take 1 part oil paint and 1 part that stuff, and you've got a relatively consistent block print medium with all the benefits you'd expect of your favourite oil paints (i.e., mainly in terms of pigment-specific opacities and staining characteristics.) Worth considering on that line of thinking would be some cobalt siccative to help quicken your drying time as well, or you could be waiting days or even weeks to move on to the watercolour step.

That being said, if you're dead-set on colouring your prints with watercolour, oil medium might not be the way to go. You run the risk of the oil medium itself staining your paper of choice in a manner similar to a slow gradual grease stain around the print impression that might take weeks to appear, slowly ruining your hard-earned effort in the long run, especially if you're using a random oil paint rather than a specifically formulated oil-based printing ink. And oil-stained paper repels water, so your watercolour venture could be less than satisfactory if you wait too long to colour, or the colours might get all hosed up down the road anyway depending on which happens first; the colouring or the oil seepage. I've seen it happen. There might be a way to prepare the paper in advance, but I don't know what that would be that wouldn't also be potentially detrimental to the actual ink transfer step.

Oil based printing is a huge pain in the rear end from a clean-up perspective though, so if you want to avoid contaminating your sink with all sorts of toxic thinners just to clean your brayer, I would strongly urge you to look into water based inks as a matter of practicality. I don't recall the water-based printing inks I used being prone to gouache-like re-wetting, so I'll go out on a limb and say you'd "probably" be fine with a water-based printing ink, provided you give it adequate time to dry (or bake the print in the oven at a low temperature to help ensure dryness before moving to the watercolour step.)

Alternatively, depending on the complexity of the colours you intend to use, it might be worth looking into making reduction/suicide prints. First print is the background colour, then carve a little bit from the block, print that as the next colour, carve a little bit more from the block, then print that, which could be your black final outline or whatever you want. It's quite a nifty variation on standard block printing that can accomplish what you're going for, albeit with more steps involved.

Regarding material selection, depending on how large of a population area you live and how good/poor the material selection is at your local art supply store, I would suggest looking at the selection of online stores like Jackson's Art, Blick, or Delta Art, and buying specifically what you want to use, rather than being beholden to what's available down the road. When I picked up block printing, my local art store had poo poo for selection, so I ended up ordering everything from Jackson's Art, and started specifically using Schmincke's water soluble ink. It's actually great stuff, with colours exceptionally well-geared towards colour mixing. If it starts to dry on the palette, just spray it with a water mister and it's back to its normal tacky, gummy consistency. Repeat as necessary.

I hope this helps.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Double dipping this from the journalling thread but I made the stupid imgur links and it is trad art :-)