Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Thanks to whomever suggested a cnoc dirty water bag. That thing loving rules. Big winner in my last backpacking trip, as we just let that sumbitch hang and drank that sweet sweet filtered water off my Sawyer. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

REI has all their brand chairs half off tight now, including the zero camping chair and the camping stool.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thanks to whomever suggested a cnoc dirty water bag. That thing loving rules. Big winner in my last backpacking trip, as we just let that sumbitch hang and drank that sweet sweet filtered water off my Sawyer. Hell yeah.

Yeah it owns. Makes the squeeze so much better to use, just set it and forget it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

$1 Coghlan's Ultralight Tent Stakes 4 pack (Amazon)

I think it was this brand I had over a decade ago and they bent pretty easily, but at this price I'm willing to give them another shot. I needed to replace some round hook stakes so these will be a step up even if they aren't as good as my other triwing stakes.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

RodShaft posted:

I think it was this brand I had over a decade ago and they bent pretty easily, but at this price I'm willing to give them another shot. I needed to replace some round hook stakes so these will be a step up even if they aren't as good as my other triwing stakes.

Yeah the couple of Coghlan-branded things I’ve bought have been almost impressive in how lovely they are. At 4/$1 though they might be worth throwing in with your other stakes as a just-in-case.

If you really need to replace a few stakes the MSR groundhogs are $4 each and should actually hold in the ground if you get some gusty winds.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up a REI Flexlite Camp Chair and a Camp Boss Chair. The regular camp chair is fine and good enough. It's made for adults, but it fits my 5 year old perfectly. The boss chair is big and wide and super comfortable. I recommend it. I tried their Air chair as well and it's so small, just sit on the ground. I probably wouldn't pay full price for any of these.

For reference I'm 6' tall, 215 lbs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

RodShaft posted:

The price is up to $8.25 now :rip:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Honestly just buy the msr stakes. Most tents only need 6. They're infinitely better and much lighter than most straight steel stakes that come with tents. $30 is a small price to pay to lose a half pound and have secure stakes. I've hammered mine into rocky terrain and some have bent slightly but still work great.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
the MSR stakes I paid $3.50 *per* looked exactly like those Coghlan's.

And I HATE the MSR stakes for being made of aluminum. Probably that alloy they use, I'd much rather that shape, but in steel.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 26, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

the MSR stakes I paid $3.50 *per* looked exactly like those Coghlan's.

And I HATE the MSR stakes for being made of aluminum. Probably that alloy they use, I'd much rather that shape, but in steel.

Weird. Not saying you didn't have a bad experience, but I bought mine 10 years ago and I've used them all over the country, countless times and they've been great. It's possible they might have changed the design or quality of aluminum. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and we've got rocky terrain all over. I've used big rocks to really hammer them into tough rocky ground pretty often. Some have bent ever so slightly but they've never snapped. I'm willing to bet the aluminum MSR chooses to make their stakes out of is much higher quality than coughlans. If you bought them on Amazon, it's possible they could have been fake. If not, they could have also been the mini version which I'm not sure how they perform.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Verman posted:

Weird. Not saying you didn't have a bad experience, but I bought mine 10 years ago and I've used them all over the country, countless times and they've been great. It's possible they might have changed the design or quality of aluminum. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and we've got rocky terrain all over. I've used big rocks to really hammer them into tough rocky ground pretty often. Some have bent ever so slightly but they've never snapped. I'm willing to bet the aluminum MSR chooses to make their stakes out of is much higher quality than coughlans. If you bought them on Amazon, it's possible they could have been fake. If not, they could have also been the mini version which I'm not sure how they perform.

REI.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

sunglasses seem like an essential thing that I rarely see talked about. unfortunately I tend to go through sunglasses relatively quick - they all break eventually, largely because what I do can be on the rougher side. one pair I bought at REI for $50 broke, that was the last time I spent much on a pair.

I often buy gas station sunglasses and hope for the best. thoughts?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I like “goodr” glasses. $25 a pair I literally any color combination you could think of. They look like cheap gas station sunglasses but are pretty robust and are polarized. Not saying they are game changers or anything, but they are good quality for cheap and because of their low price I don’t feel worried about losing/scratching them.

https://goodr.com/products/a-gingers-soul

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I just got some Goodr and they've very solid for $25 glasses.

I previously used some cheap 3M tinted safety glasses from Home Depot. Great if you want the cheap and "ultralight" version but I don't think they were polarized.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The more expensive an accessory item is, the faster I will break or lose it. Knives, watches, glasses, etc. Never fails. I've embraced the cheap.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I bought a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 in 2009 and wore them hiking, kayaking, boating, cycling, running, ocean swimming, and more since then. I still have th and they have held up great. Comfortable, will NOT fall off your face (the material grips better when you sweat). I highly recommend them, especially with the Prizm lenses. The way it filters sunlight and glare means you see colors more true. Greens become greener, blues bluer. I love them!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My suggestion is to grow up indoors reading books so you need prescription glasses by age 10, forcing you to learn how to preserve your spectacles. :v:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

sunglasses seem like an essential thing that I rarely see talked about. unfortunately I tend to go through sunglasses relatively quick - they all break eventually, largely because what I do can be on the rougher side. one pair I bought at REI for $50 broke, that was the last time I spent much on a pair.

I use both the cheapest gas station/goodrs you can get (and not care about), and Oakleys (which withstand being bounced around in a back pocket, crashed in, and being sent through the washing machine). With both of those you get precisely what you expect.

It's the kinda-cheap-kinda-expensive ones in the middle which are always disappointing.

meltie fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 26, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

My suggestion is to grow up indoors reading books so you need prescription glasses by age 10, forcing you to learn how to preserve your spectacles. :v:

Contact lenses come in handy for this!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Just picked up four pairs of Knockaround sunglasses for the wife and I. They seem well made, pretty reasonably priced, and have fun styles. With my reward points I almost have enough for another two pair.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oakley's have good frames, but their lenses are polycarbonate and will scratch easily. But also the lenses are easily replaceable. Their optical clarity is as good as Ray Ban's glass lenses. Glass lenses tend to be heavy and can shatter.

Cheap glasses typically will not have the longevity and durability in the frames. Their lenses are often good enough however.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Oakley's have good frames, but their lenses are polycarbonate and will scratch easily. But also the lenses are easily replaceable .

Easy to physically replace, but not cheap!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

blue squares posted:

Easy to physically replace, but not cheap!

Yeah, direct from Oakley you can pay a lot for new lenses - up to half the price of a whole new set of glasses. I bought some from a guy on eBay for half of what Oakley sells them for. Multiple people on Reddit swear they are legit and genuine, but I have to think they're either old stock or factory seconds or completely bootleg. The polarized prism lenses that I received do not fit quite as tightly in the frame as the originals, and the mirror reflectivity is not quite as opaque as the originals. However, the color and clarity are perfect.

There are also a number of third party lens makers who sell replacement lenses for all of the popular styles.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the kayaking thread, but I'm looking to buy my wife a kayak so she can get out on the water when we go camping. I've already got a Jackson Tupelo, but I'm interested in trying out an inflatable standup and thought this might be a good time to grab one.

After looking around, this iROCKER 11' SUP seems like a good price right now, and you can even buy an attachable kayak seat for it, which seems pretty nice. Should I keep looking or would this be a good boat to dip our toes into the water? The name initially made me think that it was another garbage chinese disposable brand, but Outdoor Gear Lab has a review on it and they seem to be an established brand, so maybe it's not completely awful? Though a bit more digging, it looks like the company is incorporated in Delaware, so it's probably just a drop ship operation with no actual manufacturing or sales presence to back up their products. But it is cheap and maybe that's good enough for now.... any opinions are appreciated, I don't know whether I should pull the trigger or not.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 26, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I have pairs from both Sunski and ROKA that are in theory designed for outdoor activities and like them both a lot. They have stood up to getting dropped on trails and knocked off of boulders with only cosmetic frame damage. Sunski will also sell you a lens replacement kit for sub-$20. Sunski is the cheaper of the 2 and I admittedly only bought the ROKA’s because they looked really cool.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I wear prescription RayBans cause the clarity and polarization are top notch, and I’ve been impressed with the build quality. Got a set of floating bands to attach to the arms so I won’t lose a pair in the water should I dump the yak.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Eddie Bauer sunglasses on a string + unreasonably good warranty has worked for me

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I used to have Ray-Bans when they were like $75 but now they're double the price and I have a difficult time justifying the price for something I'm pretty rough on.

I tried knockaround sunglasses and liked them enough to buy a few more pairs and now they are all I wear. They eventually added more styles and options like rubber nose pads etc. They've got their cheapest glasses which are $20? Added options start to increase the price. Plus, I was on vacation a few weeks ago and broke a pair that I've had for about a year. I emailed them asking if they have a warranty. They asked for a photo of the model and the damage. They sent me a brand new replacement pair at no cost. I didn't expect that. I was honestly just ready to buy another pair.

To get a pair of nice looking polarized sunglasses with rubber nose pads for less than $30 ... Yes please. I don't really like non-polarized glasses anymore. I think I have 6 pairs that live in various places. Both cars, my office etc. I've also customized all my glasses by placing the ear pieces in boiling water to soften them up and shape them to my ear so they don't fall down when I lean forward.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Nth'ing Knockaround (or Goodr).

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As far as bougie optics go, I prefer Smith. I've got a pair of Lowdown XLs in black w/ chromapop polarized lenses that I grabbed at an REI garage sale for $50. I've had them for a couple of years now and have beat the piss out of them with nary a bit of damage. I have no idea the amount of times I''ve put them on my hat visor then indavertantly tossed them to the ground, lens side down.

A friend of mine works for Goodr in social/sales and he tweets a steady flow of their new product. Everybody that I know that wears them loves them, but lenses seem to scratch easy. Regardless their poo poo is fun and cheap. Also they have an employee Bassett hound adoption program where they pay for a substantial amount of the dog & it's care including insurance but you have to make it available for ad shoots.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I just use my work issued safety sunglasses, only downside is I do not look as cool.... But I think most hardware stores should have cheap and reliable sunglasses, but as with most things they can get expensive.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Tifosi is in a pretty good price vs. quality spot for sport oriented sunglasses. I wear these for hiking/biking/running that are $25, though they're not polarized: https://www.tifosioptics.com/product/track-gloss-black-smoke/

I'm personally off the polarization bandwagon, but they do have polarized lenses that are not the cheap film coated variety for around $50.

Looks like they're doing a site wide 25% off sale as well.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've had a ton of different brands and models of sunglasses from gas station quality up to a current pair of glass lens Costas. I have a couple of pairs of Tifosis for cycling that are great, highly recommended for environments where it's likely you'll do some damage to them. My current everyday wear/driving is a pair of Smith Lowdown 2s with chromapop polarized lenses that are great but the Costas I have for fishing are noticeably clearer and crisper with a more protected view but at the trade off of being on the heavy side due to the glass. I have a couple of pairs of old Native Wells that I keep around for mowing the grass and hunting and stuff where I won't be sad if I break them, great mid-range option too. I'd like to try a different pair of Smiths with better side coverage than the lowdowns to see if maybe they get a little closer to the Costas.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dick Ripple posted:

I just use my work issued safety sunglasses

Tag yourself

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

These came in today, And they are better quality than the ones that I had had before. I was not able to bend these with my hands like I could the others. I'm pretty sure if I tried really really hard I could twist them and bend them, but the other ones literally would bend against The Tri-Wing design without twisting.

I have better stakes for my important things. But I always seem to be short on stakes so it's great that I was able to grab 16 for $4.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My wife has a basic light-duty sleeping bag, and is interested in upgrading to a nicer and warmer one. With all the 4th of July sales going on right now at Backcountry and REI, I suggested this might be a good time. Neither of us keeps up much with equipment trends, any recommendations on deals on something good right now? We are 3-season car campers only, so weight is not an issue. Our sleeping pads' R-values are insanely high, so no concerns there. I think mine is rated for 20F and has been fine for me in the weather we are likely to camp in (we have a 3-year old).

I started to link some stuff that caught my eye as possible contenders, but I found myself linking basically everything because they don't seem that different (provided they are rated similarly), plus there are a lot of bags that come in a bunch of different temperature ratings separated by only a few bucks. The house brand stuff like REI and Stoic is cheap, like $50, but even some spendier brands like Marmot are pretty competitively priced right now.

Backcountry seems like it has better prices and better selection right now.

Independent of this question, I am curious if anyone has any opinions about Stoic or Alps Mountaineering. I always see lots of stuff from both brands. Since Stoic is Backcountry's house brand, I'm skeptical, but man, some of that stuff is priced well. Separately, I always see a bunch of Alps stuff for sale, and it usually looks interesting in terms of design, but sometimes the reviews aren't great. I'm curious whether either should be under consideration (generally, not for sleeping bags specifically).

guppy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 28, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Kelty cosmic sleeping bag is a great price to value ratio for car camping and is a thread favorite.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, $170 for the Kelty cosmic 20 (down version) is a difficult deal to beat. There's a reason it's always suggested as a good first (3 season) bag. Synthetics are good too but they will weigh more, are less packable, but will perform better when wet.

Down bags typically have a longer lifespan. Generally speaking, synthetic installation breaks down slightly faster, meaning your bag will be less warm as it ages. New synthetics might last longer but it will vary on the fill type. Washing and drying a down bag will restore it's loft and warmth pretty well and most should last a decade or more if properly taken care of.

Either way, don't store a bag for long periods of time compressed in their small compression sacks. Either hang them in a closet, or stuff then loosely in a big cotton sack.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks, I went with the Cosmic synthetic. I don't care about size or weight, so the down wasn't worth an extra $40. If anyone is interested in the down, though, it's on sale for $120 at Backcountry. The synthetic is cheaper at $80.

I know better than to store sleeping bags in their compression sacks, but damned if I could find a decent option for a storage sack at Backcountry. I even asked one of their people. Initially they suggested a 20-30L compression sack, but I wasn't sure if that would be breathable. I found a Sea to Summit mesh sack but it maxes out at 30L. That might be fine? But the REI one I have is 90L.

For now I haven't bought anything and I'll wait and make sure it doesn't come with a storage bag -- I don't expect it to, but my Big Agnes bag did -- and if it doesn't I guess I'll buy another $20 REI sack. Seems like too much for what it is, but few other manufacturers seem to offer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Maybe a big cheap mesh laundry sack from a big box store?