Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nin 70 going up there with Sam 60 for good class questing. :allears: /puckerup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I know we all love watching new people as they play, found an amazing artist going through HW right now

https://twitter.com/juvijourneys/status/1539707706411429888?t=MChWrB3CxZngAWVWPWPRpw&s=19

wait, when does Yugiri smile?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It took me a minute to see that Haurchefant has a giant foam finger, and now I need all the fanart of him in #1 WOL FAN gear

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/grymnoire/status/1539871543328755712

I really forgot just how wild some of the ARR Writing is.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Papashan no!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:toot:

Finally hit 90 on everything by wrapping up with DRG!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Regalingualius posted:

:toot:

Finally hit 90 on everything by wrapping up with DRG!

congrats! I’m still working on getting everything to 50 (MNK, MCH, BRD, and BLM to go)…

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've only got one of every group to 90, (blm, ast, pld, rpr, and dnc) I've got a lot left to go!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it truly is a dark time when you max everything and then realize you wont be able to say "ding 69!" in fc chat anymore

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Awesome! posted:

it truly is a dark time when you max everything and then realize you wont be able to say "ding 69!" in fc chat anymore

Stormblood truly was the greatest expansion.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Awesome! posted:

A legitimate purpose for alts imo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

After you max one class, is it faster to level other ones?

Like, do you have to start back at the lowbie zones or do you retain some level of power?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Inzombiac posted:

Like, do you have to start back at the lowbie zones or do you retain some level of power?

its faster in that there's an XP boost as long as there's a difference between the job you're levelling and the highest level job you have, but you do still functionally start from level 1 (that said you'll have an easier time getting gear/food/etc since you'll have tomestone gear unlocked at that point)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

This is a ways down the road, but every time an expac gets announced the preorder bonus is a +exp earring, the next one will be 90 and below and it's a poo poo ton of extra exp. If you end up enjoying the game enough, that's something to keep an eye on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, jobs that were introduced in an expansion start at higher levels.

In general, running around in zones is a terrible way to level though, and you should never be doing it to level a new job unless you're below level 15 or so. Because that's when you can queue up for dungeons.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ooh yeah, I leveled everything to 80 in advance for Endwalker in about a month thanks to the earring.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crap, I assume there's no way to get the earrings now?

I just have the +30% under level 30 ring.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Inzombiac posted:

Crap, I assume there's no way to get the earrings now?

I just have the +30% under level 30 ring.

They're preorder bonuses for the expansion pack and since they haven't opened preorders for the next expansion (probably in approximately 2 years) so no.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i started playing after shb launched and leveled everything to 80 way before it ended with no earring. you will be fine.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh yeah, if you get a friend code with someone you get a +exp head piece for lvl 25 and below, and the effect stacks with the ring you have! Makes getting the early levels really snappy.

Unrelated, but I just got Sworn with the new tribe and I have my new favorite hangout spot.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 24, 2022

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Edmond Dantes posted:

Man, it took forever, but I finally got my (EW final dungeon minion spoiler I guess?) Starbird

I'm just catching up with the thread, but this is amazing, wonderful, and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Kwyndig posted:

They're preorder bonuses for the expansion pack and since they haven't opened preorders for the next expansion (probably in approximately 2 years) so no.
There was a SHB grind for a similar set of earrings; perhaps the same will be available through like means in Endwalker.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 24, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as early levels go, once you unlock the Hunt Log you can get up to dungeons pretty quickly, and they give prertty good XP. The MSQ are the fastest way to level for a first character, but there are ways to avoid a slog on later ones.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hunt log, job quests, leves, FATEs, Duty Support, Command Missions, throw in a friendship hat, FC actions, food bonuses, you can get an awful lot of levelling done very quickly.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It'd be nice if I had that hat but I don't really plan on leveling any more classes when I'm done with AST. I got my roles all role'd up with DRG getting to 90 today, so I feel I've done as much as I need to there. Sure I'm missing out on some neat plot stuff with job/class quests, but... eh?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Frontlines roulette gives a stupid amount of experience. I think it's half a level?

That and cat book are how I've been leveling my tanks and healers, though I think I'm getting confident enough to try tanking with other humans.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have a level 52 Warrior and I have yet to tank with another human being

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Frontline roulette is excellent XP for classes you don't feel confident in playing for "real." I'm using that and MSQDR to get BLM to 90, at which point I'll probably try to actually learn the rotation, because I lost the plot on that one sometime in the 60s and never got comfortable again.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tanking is by far the easiest role. I understand tank anxiety in like, WoW, where it can be unclear where to go, what to pull, how much to pull, and everyone is an rear end in a top hat who will freak out if you haven't spent a few dozen hours watching streamers to trace the most optimal pixel-perfect route possible.

But here? Press W, mash your AoE buttons, hit a mitigation skill every now and then. If you gently caress up mechanics it doesn't matter because what kills others will barely tickle you. And even if you're terrible it's not like that's something your groupmates aren't used to. People will just silently sigh to themselves as you single pull and spend a few extra minutes in the dungeon, or the healer will just have to dps less and heal you more while the other 2 don't even notice that you have no idea what you are doing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a naturally nervous person. Also my only other experience with multiplayer games is TF2 where mostly what I did was disappoint people.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Ultimate will teach you things about yourself. What a ride. Never taking this title off.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i love the Trust system because it means i can always tank a new story dungeon with NPCs first and i can take my time and enjoy the scenery and figure out where to go

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

King Cohort posted:

Ultimate will teach you things about yourself. What a ride. Never taking this title off.

yeah, you really do come out the other end realizing exactly how much worse of a player you were before you got put through the wringer. it's extremely rewarding if you have a consistent group

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wow reaper has a lot of cool looking moves. I should learn how to play it

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Consummate Professional posted:

As long as Yoshi-P keeps wearing like 20 rings I have full confidence he can carry the Final Fantasy franchise to new heights.
Rings are just belts for your fingers, after all.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Consummate Professional posted:

Wow reaper has a lot of cool looking moves. I should learn how to play it
Reaper is fun, I used to main NIN but that spot has been strolen by RPR. I really don't like most of the glams for the class though, but nothing that's not solveable by the glamour dresser.
Also the rotation is super easy, which helps for me :D

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

When I was looking for a melee class to learn, I chose SAM over RPR just because Striking glams are better than Maiming ones.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Khizan posted:

When I was looking for a melee class to learn, I chose SAM over RPR just because Striking glams are better than Maiming ones.
I'd say that's a valid reason

Oh yeah, btw :

Inzombiac posted:

If you tell me there is player housing with decorating I will likely explode.
I have a few videos that might interest you, wow streamer Preach started FFXIV a few months ago during the great warcraft exodus, and had the chance to enroll in a batshit insane FC, who does poo poo like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4MuPYIz1c
or this (though it's a spoiler for ARR so you might not want to click on that) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTz1RlaDrU
and have fun with their FC housing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUQpmyp9ro

There was an absolutely incredible session of personal room checking, but unfortunately no VoD for that
But I heard you liked glams :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSVzy1RaSA

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Vargs posted:

Tanking is by far the easiest role. I understand tank anxiety in like, WoW, where it can be unclear where to go, what to pull, how much to pull, and everyone is an rear end in a top hat who will freak out if you haven't spent a few dozen hours watching streamers to trace the most optimal pixel-perfect route possible.

But here? Press W, mash your AoE buttons, hit a mitigation skill every now and then. If you gently caress up mechanics it doesn't matter because what kills others will barely tickle you. And even if you're terrible it's not like that's something your groupmates aren't used to. People will just silently sigh to themselves as you single pull and spend a few extra minutes in the dungeon, or the healer will just have to dps less and heal you more while the other 2 don't even notice that you have no idea what you are doing.

Tanking SHOULD be the easiest role (in dungeons, savage/extreme is another can of worms). Literally all you have to do is Aoe and mit. However, the number of tanks who are absolutely abysmal is astounding. Some tanks refuse to mit, some refuse to Aoe, some just use taunt on everything, constantly circling through enemies just using taunt on them. And of course, sometimes DJ Tank wants to spin the boss like a friggin record. So while it should be the easiest role, it is by far the most obvious when you suck at it. And for a lot of people, having other people know when you gently caress up definitely makes what should be relatively easy, a much harder challenge. (Don't get me wrong I love tanking, but I've had FC mates and many players say some shade of that they just hate the pressure, and it makes them screw up)

What I will say, is if you have half a braincell, and can can remember to use aoe's and mitigations....you'll be fine as a tank. Unfortunately, most random tanks seem to lack even half a braincell. (Which is one reason why I main tank)

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 24, 2022

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I enjoy tanking but only really in 4-man content. Because more than that is when it becomes more than "remember to put stance on, do basic rotation, hit a mitigation cooldown when a tankbuster is coming and move out of AOEs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I mean if you let the other person MT, you basically become a blue DPS that takes less damage from loving up in 90% of normal content. The only exceptions are alliance raids that split alliances for mechanisms or the very rare trial/raid where you actually need to tank swap (and even then, you usually don't).