Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Kalit posted:

I often hear this, but I rarely see anyone claim what their wording means nor any studies/sources supplied with it. So, for you, how is "helpful" defined? What does "rarely" mean? And are you referring to any crime? Or does some crime get a higher priority than others?

Police respond to crime that has already occurred. They rarely respond to crimes that are in progress and still in progress when they arrive. And some crime does get a higher priority. Violent crime will get responded to faster over property crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

theCalamity posted:

Police respond to crime that has already occurred. They rarely respond to crimes that are in progress and still in progress when they arrive. And some crime does get a higher priority. Violent crime will get responded to faster over property crime

Kalit posted:

What does "rarely" mean?

:rolleyes:

Also, I thought it was obvious that I was asking about Mendrian's personal opinion about what kind of crime they were referring to when they said "crime in progress". Not the priority level that police departments give to various crimes....

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Kalit posted:

Also, I thought it was obvious that I was asking about Mendrian's personal opinion about what kind of crime they were referring to when they said "crime in progress". Not the priority level that police departments give to various crimes....

It's pretty easy to just Google up good articles in support of a pretty basic and uncontroversial claim, so I'm not sure why we're dealing with leading questions instead of counterarguments. We can start here, which uses multiple sources to show how police departments spend their time. Since you haven't made a claim yourself, I don't know what else to say.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/31/21334190/what-police-do-defund-abolish-police-reform-training

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's pretty easy to just Google up good articles in support of a pretty basic and uncontroversial claim, so I'm not sure why we're dealing with leading questions instead of counterarguments. We can start here, which uses multiple sources to show how police departments spend their time. Since you haven't made a claim yourself, I don't know what else to say.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/31/21334190/what-police-do-defund-abolish-police-reform-training

Fair enough, here's an article with ~30% of active shooting events (excluding domestic/gang related shootings) that was ended by police: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/06/22/us/shootings-police-response-uvalde-buffalo.html.

The reason I was trying to get a specific definition is because I don't know what "rarely" meant to these posters. And what kind of crimes they were counting.

If it meant less than 50% of active shooters, then fair enough, their definition fits. This is me trying to post in good faith and not get into slapfights due to unknown differing definitions

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Kalit posted:

I can't speak for Mendrian, but I think it's pretty plain to see what a "crime in progress" is: it's any crime in progress. I'm sorry for the tautology, but it's quite obvious.

"Rarely" to me is also quite obvious. Crimes, even violent ones, can happen within minutes and end just as quickly. The police are not physically able to respond to crime while they are still occurring most of the time unless it happens right in front of them or are very close by. Given the amount of police compared to the amount of people in a given city/jurisdiction, stopping crimes in progress is going to be a rarity (also, to my knowledge, FBI UCR doesn't show if a crime was in progress or not when the police arrived).

Apologies if I'm misreading anything.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Crime "in progress" meaning a crime that is still happening.

Like if you own a business and somebody robs you, and you call the police, what do you suppose the odds are that they turn up in the middle of the robbery and arrest the robber?

I should think this doesn't require statistics - it's fairly logical that you cannot conjure a police officer whenever you need them and yet the most enduring question surrounding changing the police seems to be "how do we stop crime without police."

The police should be a largely administrative and psychological department and yet we treat and arm them like their job is to intervene, which it isn't.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mendrian posted:

Crime "in progress" meaning a crime that is still happening.

Like if you own a business and somebody robs you, and you call the police, what do you suppose the odds are that they turn up in the middle of the robbery and arrest the robber?

I should think this doesn't require statistics - it's fairly logical that you cannot conjure a police officer whenever you need them and yet the most enduring question surrounding changing the police seems to be "how do we stop crime without police."

The police should be a largely administrative and psychological department and yet we treat and arm them like their job is to intervene, which it isn't.

If you can't conjure a cop out of thin air this is clearly an argument for raising police budgets until you can. Whether the cops will actually DO anything when conjured is a separate matter (that also can be solved with a higher budget maybe? Better try it and see).

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Squibbles posted:

If you can't conjure a cop out of thin air this is clearly an argument for raising police budgets until you can. Whether the cops will actually DO anything when conjured is a separate matter (that also can be solved with a higher budget maybe? Better try it and see).

I mean if we just make everybody a police officer it would stop all crime!

But yeah whether or not the cops do their job is a whole other question I was avoiding because I don't want to post statistics to prove something that everybody can tell from looking which is cops don't do anything when you ask unless you're rich.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mendrian posted:

I feel like there's some sort of progressive pitch based around this as an end-around to getting universal healthcare/union representation that could be made

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mendrian posted:

But yeah whether or not the cops do their job is a whole other question I was avoiding because I don't want to post statistics to prove something that everybody can tell from looking which is cops don't do anything when you ask unless you're rich.

Not doing anything when you ask unless you're rich is their job, though. Everything else is just marketing

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kalit posted:

I often hear this, but I rarely see anyone claim what their wording means nor any studies/sources supplied with it. So, for you, how is "helpful" defined? What does "rarely" mean? And are you referring to any crime? Or does some crime get a higher priority than others?

What are your thoughts on the police response to the Uvalde massacre? Were the police there helpful? Do you figure that was a high priority crime?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

Ok, imagine a gunman is in a class room with a bunch of kids. When he starts killing those kids you would expect the police to help. But actually they have no legal requirement and they will not put themselves at risk.

Or imagine helpful police who make sure to properly process and investigate all rape kits, an incredibly useful tool that allows us to collect DNA evidence of rape and really push back on a crime that for a long time has honestly been an accepted reality of life. Are our police doing that? Uhhh, well, https://www.endthebacklog.org/what-is-the-backlog/

Also if you need hard numbers police solve less then half of all crimes https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/01/most-violent-and-property-crimes-in-the-u-s-go-unsolved/

Want to kill someone? 40% chance you get away. Target someone who society doesn't care about, the lesser dead? Holy poo poo your chances go up. https://www.vox.com/2018/9/24/17896034/murder-crime-clearance-fbi-report

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

What are your thoughts on the police response to the Uvalde massacre? Were the police there helpful? Do you figure that was a high priority crime?

It was poo poo. They weren't helpful (and were probably actively harmful) in that one instance. What's your point?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There's also the famous 40% domestic violence among police stat. Definitely not helpful for their families.

Also they don't even teach themselves how to help correctly. The majority of police work has nothing to do with violence and is minor crimes and civil duties. However their training is obsessed with the warrior cop. https://www.vox.com/2020/7/31/21334190/what-police-do-defund-abolish-police-reform-training

They're like if the IT guy knew jack poo poo about computers but had a lot of guns and was pretty sure they fixed computers.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Surprising news:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1540160301202640898
I'm shocked this actually passed. I don't think it'll make a huge impact, but much, much better than nothing. I guess we'll see how the phrase "serious relationship" is interpreted. Here's the full text of the bill: https://www.sinema.senate.gov/sites/default/files/2022-06/bipartisan_safer_communities_act_text.pdf

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 24, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalit posted:

Surprising news:
I'm shocked this actually passed. I don't think it'll make a huge impact, but much, much better than nothing. I guess we'll see how the phrase "serious relationship" is interpreted. Here's the full text of the bill: https://www.sinema.senate.gov/sites/default/files/2022-06/bipartisan_safer_communities_act_text.pdf

It's not enough and the Republicans will never vote for any more gun control ever again. Any shooting that happens now will just be "see gun control doesn't do anything."

I'd love to have the outlook of "it's a start." But the reality is that was it. The start and the finish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kalit posted:

Surprising news:

Google suggests the "dating relationship" definition appears to at least involve all the same factors by which it is commonly defined in state law involving things like restraining orders.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

BonoMan posted:

It's not enough and the Republicans will never vote for any more gun control ever again. Any shooting that happens now will just be "see gun control doesn't do anything."

I'd love to have the outlook of "it's a start." But the reality is that was it. The start and the finish.

Eh, not like they've voted for [federal] gun control in the past ...29 years (1993, from what I can recall). I can't imagine this bill would be the reason why more gun control bills won't pass for the next 3+ decades.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Roe v. Wade has been overturned.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wonder if this moment was in the backs of the senates mind when they started working on that new protection for judges AND NO ONE ELSE law

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

B B posted:

Roe v. Wade has been overturned.

Link for anyone that needs it. This is so disheartening knowing that nothing can be done to combat this. Love that a minority of the country rules the majority.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1540338214371721216?t=kZIPde5xEySaOrADlYpI6w&s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

midwest ink posted:

Link for anyone that needs it. This is so disheartening knowing that nothing can be done to combat this. Love that a minority of the country rules the majority.

Nothing legal I suppose, but plenty can and should be done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Do we know if Susan Collins has gone from "concerned" to "Jimmies are rustled" yet?

Well, now I guess we just have to wait to see how long it'll take the court to decide to hear a case that'll overturn Griswold or Obergfell, since the ruling seems to have the same "constitution doesn't explicitly say this" logic as the leaked draft, and Thomas explicitly calls for overturning them in his concurrence.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kalit posted:

Surprising news:

Given the recent warpath the Conservative SCOTUS is on, this'll be dead as soon as its signed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looking forward to the Dems’ various statements about being ‘very concerned’ while it just became illegal to get an abortion in a double digit amount of states

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

azflyboy posted:

Do we know if Susan Collins has gone from "concerned" to "Jimmies are rustled" yet?

Well, now I guess we just have to wait to see how long it'll take the court to decide to hear a case that'll overturn Griswold or Obergfell, since the ruling seems to have the same "constitution doesn't explicitly say this" logic as the leaked draft, and Thomas explicitly calls for overturning them in his concurrence.

Susan Collins is currently at a "malfunctioning Chuck E. Cheese animatronic" level of incoherent chattering over how surprised she is that this somehow happened.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

azflyboy posted:

Probably sooner than we think. Here's the green light to reactionary activists to bring the cases forward:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112?s=20&t=icRhPAD_I3R1HoHqrTDYIg

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Collins et al have had time to develop a response, the release of the opinion that was expected isn't going to disrupt her messaging.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Probably sooner than we think. Here's the green light to reactionary activists to bring the cases forward:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1540338064324698112?s=20&t=icRhPAD_I3R1HoHqrTDYIg

Soyomayor should reconsider her friendship with Thomas

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Still will never understand why we let 9 gigantic dweebs decide everything for us. This is hell.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cool, cool, just immediately roll everything back to the... what... 1950's, 1960's? Tell me again why the SC hasn't been expanded yet?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Randalor posted:

Cool, cool, just immediately roll everything back to the... what... 1950's, 1960's? Tell me again why the SC hasn't been expanded yet?

Because the people who constantly say mean things about the Democratic party might say mean things about the Democratic party if they take any type of action.

E: at this point, their inaction is compliance.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 24, 2022

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Discendo Vox posted:

Collins et al have had time to develop a response, the release of the opinion that was expected isn't going to disrupt her messaging.

They won't have used it. The last time they had years to come up with a "what next?" it was clear that they hadn't given it any thought whatsoever. They don't need to, and the worst that they ever get is glowing media coverage about it.

Whatever she says, she's going to sound like a hollow idiot shill because that's what she is. That's what they all are. This is the part where they get to tut tut at people wishing for better things while gloating about their victories in the game they couldn't have lost even if they tried.

The interesting thing isn't what she or anyone else in her position says, it's in what everyone else does. I expect there will be several more bills to come in the near future for extra security measures for the powerful. They will need them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is going to turn North Carolina into a war zone.

https://twitter.com/nc_governor/status/1540344093120798722?s=21&t=DgYOrB2hMRt4__N4TFmPOw

Hopefully the gas prices keep the chuds from rolling into Asheville.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Loving follows exactly the same logic, but the coward won't mention that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

And just to clarify, but that means a full 1/3rd of the Supreme Court lied under oath, right? I know there's no actual repercussions for doing that, I'm just wanting to confirm that the SC is just a puppetshow of the Republican extremists at this point.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Randalor posted:

And just to clarify, but that means a full 1/3rd of the Supreme Court lied under oath, right? I know there's no actual repercussions for doing that, I'm just wanting to confirm that the SC is just a puppetshow of the Republican extremists at this point.

None of them actually lied, just gave dodgy answers

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

None of them actually lied, just gave dodgy answers

“Already settled case law”

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Pelosi giving a statement now, with one bit along the lines of "Better vote Dem in November so we can fix this"

WELL WHAT THE LIVING gently caress DO YOU HAVE NOW YOU [CENSORED]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1540348734533296128

fugitive slave laws are back on the menu boys.

anyone that isn't for court expansion or getting rid of it entirely at this point can get hosed