Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

I thought IKEA was a furniture place. Am I missing something here? We don't have IKEA stores in the country I live in.

Yes, and it's delicious. Give it a go some time.

Yeah, for real. Don't get grabby with other people's food, jesus christ. You just don't loving do that, ever.

But she's his GF and best friend, he should be able to just take anything of hers he wants without asking, and she should just laugh about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Arcturas posted:

A combination of ketchup and mayo with (ideally, though not always) some paprika or other spices is a huge thing in Utah where it’s called fry sauce and people pretend they were the first ones to ever try it.

Utah might actually be where he picked it up. It's not common where we live, but he used to have a job that took him out that area quite often.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ibntumart posted:

Curry mayo is the best! The only time I don’t add some curry powder and turmeric is when I’m making pesto mayonnaise.

Turned into a NFT without permission
Now Foreverial Tokenized and hating it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Curry mayo is the best! The only time I don’t add some curry powder and turmeric is when I’m making pesto mayonnaise.

Protip, it's garlic scape time in a lot of the northern hemisphere. Or soon will be.

Mayo (make your own even better) in a food processor (that you just make you own mayo in) with a bunch of garlic scapes makes everything amazing.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Party Ape posted:

I suspect "powerful and connected" just means "hired a good lawyer".

I'm not getting an impartial narrator vibe from the guy using passive tense and vague references to mental health issues to power wash his brother's reputation.

Yeah. And "he moved away with the kids after their mother had a mental breakdown" could easily be a whitewashed way of saying "he kidnapped the kids and then told everyone it was 'cause their mom was acting like a crazy lady."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Motronic posted:

Protip, it's garlic scape time in a lot of the northern hemisphere. Or soon will be.

Mayo (make your own even better) in a food processor (that you just make you own mayo in) with a bunch of garlic scapes makes everything amazing.

Gobsmacked that not only do the stems have a name, but I could have been using them all this time. Thanks for the info! I will have to give garlic scape mayo a go. (Also apparently good for pesto, too, so that’s two fun new recipe twists in my near future)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ibntumart posted:

Turned into a NFT without permission

Right click save the photo, send people copies

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Curried ketchup is also amazing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solkanar512 posted:

Curried ketchup is also amazing.

Especially for currywurst
https://www.daringgourmet.com/best-german-curry-ketchup-for-currywurst/

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

limp_cheese posted:

Wow, what a terrible person. She should know better than wanting to have sex with her husband she has been away from. Doesn't she know married people never have sex? Its like she has never listened to comedians. Plus everyone knows babies comes from storks, not loving.

This is me reading way way more into it than is there, but:

This seems to me to be be a super controlling/smothering helicopter mother who wants to be overly in her sweet innocent baby boys life well after they have grown up. Sure.

But I would also posit that what she took offense at was the use of the word "gently caress". And the matter of fact way that a *gasp* woman would dare to be so brazen as to want and request sex.

If the OP had coyly, softly and embarrassedly said something like "I am really sorry my dearest mother in law, but may we have an hour alone because ... we have to ... you know ... marital duty ... relations ... I am so sorry that this intrudes on your smothering time. We will try to get it over and done with as soon as possible." etc. Then MiL probably wouldn't have been as scandalized/disrespected.

But that would have been insane. No grown woman needs to ask permission in her own home to gently caress her husband who has been away for a while. And any Mother in Law that does not respect that is the one who is being crude, disrespectful and a huge arsehole.

Edit:

ibntumart posted:

Gobsmacked that not only do the stems have a name, but I could have been using them all this time. Thanks for the info! I will have to give garlic scape mayo a go. (Also apparently good for pesto, too, so that’s two fun new recipe twists in my near future)
Adding my voice to the "garlic stems are awesome" brigade.

When I lived in Korea, I lived on an island that was famous for it's garlic. And the side dishe of garlic stems that they served with most stuff was phenomenal.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 24, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ibntumart posted:

It makes absolutely amazing "pesto" (with or without basil) which I make a ton of this time of year and freeze in muffin cups and the put in zip lock bags so I can portion it out for things the rest of the year.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

quote:

AITA for telling my sister I would put my cat down before I allowed her or her daughters to take it?

I'm moving to a new place at the end of next month for a variety of reasons. I'm still looking for a place right now, but the places I've narrowed it down to right now do not allow pets. I've owned a pure breed cat for the last 5 years now, and it breaks my heart but at this point, I've been looking into rehoming it.

This is where my sister and her two daughters come in. My sister and her kids adore my cat. Her daughters have always been attracted to it like magnets. This sucks because my sister has no clue how to take care of animals, and has not taught her kids how to treat them. Every time I've had her daughters over, I've had to lock my cat in my room and tell her kids that the cat is outside playing because the two of them treat animals like toys. My sister is no better, as she treats animals like property rather than a living creatures and neglects them. I won't go into details but she's owned 2 dogs that have run away since her oldest daughter's birth.

At the moment it looks like a close friend of mine is going to be taking my cat in. I made the mistake of telling my mother this and my sister ended up calling me asking if it was true I was rehoming my cat. She immediately offered to take it and became incredibly pushy when I told her it was already worked out. She tried to guilt me by talking about how much her daughters loved my cat and it would break all of their hearts to know I would choose a friend over family. She even insisted I was abandoning the cat when I'm not.

I finally got tired of it and told her that I have my reasons for not allowing her to take my cat. She ended up pushing me further on this and I told her that I would never allow her to abuse my cat as she has her previous animals, that her two daughters have no clue how to treat animals, and that I would rather put my cat down than allow it to be abused by her and her kids.

She lost it with me and I ended up hanging up quickly after. Now my parents and other siblings are livid at me and claiming I went way over board when I could have just told her no.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Adding my voice to the "garlic stems are awesome" brigade.

When I lived in Korea, I lived on an island that was famous for it's garlic. And the side dishe of garlic stems that they served with most stuff was phenomenal.

They're delicious, but for those who are keen on trying, they're also high in fibre so you'll be farting up a storm for a while. Like, a one-person bass section.

Looks like she comes from an entire family of animal-abusing dipshits that have no business owning any pets.

gently caress the entire lot of them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
[Keeps pushing after just being told no]
"Wow you went way overboard, you could've just told me no"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Now my parents and other siblings are livid at me and claiming I went way over board when I could have just told her no.

she did tell her no, but it wasn't loving enough. it's never enough for these people and they wonder why everyone "goes way overboard"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hot drat, we just started a vegetable garden this year and we're watching the garlic put out scapes, did not realize they were good eating too :dance:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Foo Diddley posted:

she did tell her no, but it wasn't loving enough. it's never enough for these people and they wonder why everyone "goes way overboard"

In the comments the op posted that her sister has a prior investigation from animal services about abuse, so it seems like the rest of the family should already be well aware of the sister's animal issues. She doesn't strike me as one who wouldn't complain about being misinderstood and/or unjustly targeted.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

e: Misread "birth" as "death"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for not allowing my roommate's girlfriend to sleep in my room?

quote:

I (26M) live with my roommate "Chris" (28M). Chris and I went to the same college and were roommates. We got along well and discussed moving into an apartment together. We found an apartment that was responsibly priced. I pay slightly more in rent for my cat. I have been seeing my boyfriend(27M) since last year and he spends the night on the weekends. Chris's girlfriend spends most of her time at the apartment.

I've been noticing that Chris has been more of a slob. He will leave dirty dishes in the sink, his room has started to smell horribly where nobody wants to come into the apartment. His girlfriend and I have brought up concerns with the smell, but he doesn't see it as a big deal.

I had to go away for a weekend to see my family. My boyfriend took care of my cat while I was gone. While I'm away, I received many texts from Chris asking if his girlfriend could stay in my room. I told him no and that boyfriend would be staying until I returned. His girlfriend then texted me angry that she had to stay in his filthy room.

Chris and his girlfriend are giving me and boyfriend the cold shoulder. She wanted to sleep on the ottoman that is big enough for a person.

How DARE you force me to stay around this disgusting slob of a human being! :arghfist:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I (23F) got pregnant with my friend's brother (32M) and I don't know how to tell her (24F)

quote:

We are lifelong friends, and on more than one occasion she (24F) told me (23F) that her brother (32M) was totally forbidden to me because she was afraid that a relationship of ours could ruin our friendship. Well, I respected that and I never looked at him with different eyes, I always saw him as an older brother. But about a year ago I moved into the same building as him and we started seeing each other more often. We became very close and what started as a new friendship ended in sex, and it wasn't just once, it became a routine that we had for months.

We thought about telling her that we were seeing each other many times but she was having a hard time with her fiance so we didn't say anything. But I got pregnant and we can't lie to her anymore, we want to tell her the truth but we just don't know how because now the situation is worse. Her fiance broke up with her and called off the wedding and I don't know if this is the best time to tell her but we can no longer hide it, I mean I'm 4 months pregnant and my belly is already showing, she will notice soon but I'm afraid she'll hate me if I tell her.

I screwed up in the worst way possible, and I know I'm a horrible friend but I love her brother and he loves me and we really want to start a family together, but we also love her and we want to break the news in the best possible way so as not to hurt her feelings or make her feel betrayed. So what would be the correct way to tell her about our relationship and about the baby?

Tl;dr "I (23F) got pregnant with my friend's brother (32M) and I don't know how to tell her (24F) because she's going through a really difficult time with her own relationship"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arcturas posted:

A combination of ketchup and mayo with (ideally, though not always) some paprika or other spices is a huge thing in Utah where it’s called fry sauce and people pretend they were the first ones to ever try it.

Isn't that McDonald's "secret sauce" for their burgers as well?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for not allowing my roommate's girlfriend to sleep in my room?

How DARE you force me to stay around this disgusting slob of a human being! :arghfist:

I don't get it. You want to gently caress this person and kiss them and stuff, but their bed and presumably body is nasty? I had a conservative upbringing and... I thought women had higher standards. I thought to be attractive to women you had to keep yourself clean, your nails trimmed and wash your bedsheets. Cause women don't like slobs. I thought I was tought that, although now that I think about it maybe that was library books that said that.

But that was all a lie. All these years I've been washing my hands and shampooing my hair and cleaning my rear end wasted. To think of the hours I wasted applying deodorant, I could have been spending that time being unemployed and complaining about video games. The life I could have had.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Uncle Enzo posted:

I don't get it. You want to gently caress this person and kiss them and stuff, but their bed and presumably body is nasty? I had a conservative upbringing and... I thought women had higher standards. I thought to be attractive to women you had to keep yourself clean, your nails trimmed and wash your bedsheets. Cause women don't like slobs. I thought I was tought that, although now that I think about it maybe that was library books that said that.

But that was all a lie. All these years I've been washing my hands and shampooing my hair and cleaning my rear end wasted. To think of the hours I wasted applying deodorant, I could have been spending that time being unemployed and complaining about video games. The life I could have had.

Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Second best time is now.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Mcdonalds sauce is more of a thousand island dressing, doesn't use ketchup.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Why didn't Mayo Lover put on his big boy pants and just ask the cashier for another packet?

All this talk of garlic is making me nostalgic for a restaurant I used to go to when I lived in St Louis, Saleem's - "where garlic is king!" Sadly I see that it's closed now. :rip:

Now another meaningless argument

quote:

AITA for making my partners drinking water too warm?

To set the scene, I(35M) like to drink cold or chilled water and my partner (33F) likes room temperature preboiled water.

To accommodate for both our needs, we have a kettle for boiling water, after which it is transferred to 2 water jugs, which are either left at room temperature or used to refill the dispenser in the fridge.

Onto the situation, 3 months ago I emptied both room temperature jugs into the fridge and boiled more water at night before bed. Partner came down, was furious she had no room temperature water to drink and we came to an agreement - dont fill up both jugs into the dispenser and leave her one.

Fast forward to Today, there was going to be some burst water main repairs outside by the utility company so in the morning before my partner woke up, I decided to make sure we had enough water to drink. I filled the dispenser with 1 jug, then halved the room temperature water in the other jug into both

(we had previously shattered a jug on a cold day when we poured boiling water in, so I thought I'd temper this by making sure the boiling water would enter lukewarm water reducing chances of shattering the jugs)

I went back to work and thought nothing of it. Partner wakes up and goes down and she is furious. She doesnt have any room temperature water. I try to placate her by mixing the lukewarm water with water from the dispenser to make "room temperature" water but its futile.

She wont relent. She tips the entire bottle of water I mixed out into the sink and tries herself and cant get the temperature right either. She is absolutely raging at me at this point for not listening to her or caring about her needs. She storms out of the house in a huff.

So AITA here or is perhaps this being blown out of proportion and mixing water to a specific temperature is not as big of a deal?

OP has offered the following explanation for why they think they might be the rear end in a top hat:

I might be the rear end in a top hat here because

1) I forgot about leaving 1 jug of water at room temperature for her as per our agreement from 3 months ago

And 2) why this might make me an rear end in a top hat is we had an agreement and I forgot and even though my intentions were good, I didn't keep to our bargain

Help keep the sub engaging!

Top comment

quote:

INFO: What the actual hell?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bruceski posted:

I think they're all mayo/ketchup based at heart, but burger sauces usually have relish/pickles and fry sauces don't. At least from anecdotal experience.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

nashona posted:

Why didn't Mayo Lover put on his big boy pants and just ask the cashier for another packet?

Probably because then he couldn't pull a power move on his girlfriend

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Not exactly a relationship post, but I just love seeing a shiny spine!

I was denied a promised, and heavily paid for, vacation at work. I quit because of it. My old boss is threatening to sue me.

quote:

So I worked for a mid sized company, 3k employees, until yesterday. I booked a vacation in January of this year, with approval from boss and HR. I paid for everything back in January. I informed my boss that if I need to cancel, he will need to give me 2 weeks notice so I can get the refund. I reminded him of this 17 days before my vacation was scheduled. His reply was that he did not see any reason to cancel and to have fun.

Yesterday, a week before I leave, I was told that they were going to cancel my vacation. They said that my job was too essential and that they could not do without me for 2 weeks.

I am the only web developer for this company. I am not a web developer by the way. I am a system administrator who was forced into web dev cause my job was too cheap to hire a web dev, but I digress.

I told them I was leaving as I needed a full 2 weeks to cancel and receive back my money for the vacation that I already paid for. They did not give me enough notice to cancel so unless the company was going to recoup the 3k I spent, I was going.

They informed me another department needed me to add their products to the website and that a new rollout was scheduled for the day I was set to return. So they needed me for the next 2 weeks.

I told them I was not going to be able to cancel and that I could find someone who can do it on a per contract basis. They refused. They then reminded me of my at will status, and my completely unenforceable non compete clause as a sort of threat to underscore how serious they were.

I quit right then and there. Today I received an email that they will give me 48 hours to think it over and that my leaving the company would cause significant damage.

Figuring this was an excellent bargaining chip, I went in for a meeting today. There was no bargaining. Basically I was told that I would be required to return to work until a replacement can be found.

I was dictated to and was told that if I failed to comply, they would be forced to sue me for damages to the company.

I pulled out my laptop, company laptop, wrote up an email with all relevant passwords to all accounts I oversaw and sent it to my supervisor. I then removed myself from all company accounts, in front of them, and deactivated my account.

I made sure they had access to all relevant corp accounts and suggested that they find a replacement for me as swiftly as possible as I was leaving immediately.

Never left a job so angry before.

My boss called me and said that they would be moving forward with the lawsuits now and to expect service soon.

I know you can sue anyone for anything, but can a job seriously threaten me like this? Wouldn't at will work both ways in this case? If I can be fired for no reason whatsoever, cant I quit for no reason whatsoever?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Edit: wait I'm not sure what I said is true

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I assume lawyers all across town are currently dealing with spontaneous erections and wondering why

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr. Stab posted:

CS + a fine art is a great skillset for making video games. Which, uh, also isn't a great field to get into.

CounterStrike+

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

Edit: wait I'm not sure what I said is true

Unless they are under contract, "At Will" goes both ways.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

My bf made me look like his ex without me realising

quote:

I (20F) naturally had really really long hair, below my but. My bf (22M) kept telling me to cut it short because it would look amazing on me. So I did, it is a bit shorter than schoulder length and to me it feels a bit weird because it’s so different. But it is healthy for my hair (curly/wavy).

I just discovered what his ex (20F) looks like, she has the exact same length and hair colour as me rn, no waves tho. Almost the same features too. She just has glasses and I don’t. The side to side pictures of us are almost identical . I don’t know how to feel rn. I felt like I couldn’t keep us apart.

I am scared that he isn’t over her.

We have been together for 8 months, they were together over 2,5 years. But she apparently traumatised him a little. His friends severely disliked her and keep telling me how much they hate her. My relationship with my bf is the healthiest i have ever had. But now I am just so scared that he is just keeping me as a replacement.

His parents also like me a lot and so does the rest of his fam. I love his mom, she is a true feminist. He is definitely raised well. I just feel insecure. But his friend group is a little odd, over protective best girlfriend etc.

What should I do with this? Am i just a replacement?

TL;DR: BF (22M) told me to cut my (20F) hair short, now i look identical to his ex.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

quote:

My relationship with my bf is the healthiest i have ever had.

Oof

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

This title did not lead where I thought it would.

Accidentally saw my boyfriend's search history, and i can't get over it.

quote:

Hey everyone, me(23F) and my bf(22M) have been together for several months and it's been going good, he's a wonderful, sweet guy and i love him a lot. Lately i have been noticing them he has been getting a bit slimmer (he's a skinnier boy), and even though he's still very much at a healthy weight, i've been asking him to eat and work out more, so be could look stronger, broader and even more muscly etc. He always responds to it neutrally and says he tries (he does workout everyday).

Lately i borrowed his Mac while he was busy with something else, i had to check the history to find some link and i saw a lot of his google searches like 'girlfriend wants me to gain weight', 'gf wants muscles', 'do girls care if their boyfriend isn't muscular', 'i feel insecure about my body when i am with my girlfriend', 'how to find out if my girlfriend doesn't like my body' etc etc and several similar searches, and it made me feel so bad, as much as it took me by surprise, because i would have never assumed he feels insecure around me, i wish i could go back and take back my comments, i think he's super cute and beautiful how he is, should i casually bring it up and tell him that i think he's super cute how he is? He's a very sweet guy so that makes me feel extra bad.

Tl;dr - Accidentally saw my bf's search history, it got me surprised as it shows he's insecure about his body around me, because of a few comments I've made about body, lately.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Evil Willow posted:

Not exactly a relationship post, but I just love seeing a shiny spine!

I was denied a promised, and heavily paid for, vacation at work. I quit because of it. My old boss is threatening to sue me.
I'm sad this isn't an Ask a Manager post because I'm sure Alison's take on this nonsense would be pretty solid.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for asking for a child's birthday rather than their age at the ticketing booth?

quote:

During the school holidays I work for a tour company in a major city and the rates are:

Adults - $59

Child (Age 3-15) - $39

Infant (Age 0-3) - Free

When listening in to my co-workers selling tickets, one of the parents would say "2 adults and 1 Child please" and my co-worker would look at the child and say "How old are you?" and 98% of the time they say they are 14/15 even if they definitely look at least 17/18 but there is nothing we can do about it because children do not have ID.

Lately, I've been experimenting different ways to catch out parents that have coached their kids in to saying their 'age' was 15. So the best technique I've been using is asking children "When is your birthday?" because naturally they will say their real birthday as they don't have the time to calculate what their birth year would have to be to be under 15. (e.g. an obvious looking 17 year old saying their birthday was 10/04/2005 was a lot more common than an obvious looking 17 year old thinking for 2 seconds then saying 10/04/2007).

Anyway, today this kid said "15" when i asked what his birthday was and i had to correct him and ask again for his birthday. The parents looked absolutely bamboozled and the kid panicked and said his real birthday which made his real age 16. The parent started getting frustrated and yelling at me for asking their child a 'personal' question like that for no reason, even though they were trying to get a cheaper fare. My boss ended up stepping in and gave them the 'child rate' of $39 and told me not to ask for their birthday again and that it was rude to mess with parents and their children.

Obviously, it doesn't matter to me what price i charge as its not my company and i just work there, but it was a bit of fun watching some kids and parents freak out when i asked them for their birthday. I will stop doing it, but AITA for asking such a 'trick' question.

TL;DR- I ask children for their birthday instead of their age so I know whether to charge a child or adult rate. A parent yelled at me for asking a 'personal' question to their child and my boss wasn't happy with it either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nashona posted:

All this talk of garlic is making me nostalgic for a restaurant I used to go to when I lived in St Louis, Saleem's - "where garlic is king!" Sadly I see that it's closed now. :rip:

Now another meaningless argument

Top comment

If you've not had a yelling match over the serving temperature of water you don't know chinese people

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Justin Godscock posted:

All I'm going to say is I remember staying at a hotel that was hosting a major cheerleading competition for high schoolers (very long story but our first hotel lost the final day of our reservation so this was the only last-minute option).

Never again.
Was the plumbing clogged with puke?

A weird one from Ask a Manager: coworker keeps interrupting my work and told me it’s “good practice” to keep myself focused

quote:

I have a coworker (Jane) who is a very nice person, if a bit socially clueless. That’s not unusual in our industry, but in this case it’s beginning to encroach on my work. It’s made worse by the fact that she seems to have latched on to me as a work friend. It’s starting to impact my focus, and I don’t know how to get past it.

We have an open plan office and are seated close to each other. Every time she sees me conferring with a colleague, she eagerly interjects in what she seems to believe is a friendly chat. For example, I was talking with a coworker about finding alternative solutions to offer a client, saying that we needed to have a Plan B ready. Jane overheard and called out, “Not to mention Plans C, D, E and F! I’ll take Plan H, a vacation in Hawaii!” She then stood up and did a luau style dance. Another time I was talking with a colleague about work, and she came over and shoved her phone under my nose to ask me how old I thought a baby in a picture was. I said I didn’t know, and she insisted I guess. When I guessed a month, she told me I was wrong and sat down to show me more pictures, urging me to guess again. These kind of incidents happen at least five times a day.

I have ADHD, and this kind of thing is really harmful to my productivity. I find it very challenging to get back on track after this kind of derailment. I’ve tried explaining that to Jane, but she told me that it’s good practice for me to keep myself focused, and will even introduce herself to others as my “distraction buddy.”

I’m out of ideas for how to make this stop on my own, but I don’t know how I can possibly explain the problem to our manager. She’s friendly when I don’t want to be friendly? Is it even worth getting a manager involved? I’m also nervous about making it seem like my focus is the problem, as I work really hard and employ numerous techniques to help myself manage. I’m already worried that I’m looking scatterbrained to colleagues because it’s hard for me to refocus after the interruptions.

How direct were you when you talked to Jane? If you sugarcoated it at all — which is an understandable place to start — it’s worth trying a conversation with her where you’re very direct. I’m going to recommend that you be so direct that it might feel rude to you, but (a) it sounds like Jane doesn’t understand more polite messages, (b) it’s not rude to tell someone they need to let you work, and (c) you’d actually be doing her a favor by being very direct, because the next stop on this train is your boss.

So. Unless you have already tried this level of directness, say this to Jane: “I need you to stop interrupting me while I am working. I am not interested in a distraction buddy and I’m not looking for practice in staying focused. What I need is for you to not interrupt me while I am working.”

If she says anything other than “I’m sorry and I will stop interrupting your work,” you should also say this: “If you’re not able to do that, you’ll be forcing me to ask (manager) to tell you to cut it out and I’d rather not do that.”

You should also be very direct in the moment when Jane interferes with your work. For example:

Jane: How old do you think this baby is?
You: I can’t look right now, I’m busy.
Jane: Just take a look! Here — what do you think?
You (physically turning away): Please stop interrupting me. I am working.
Jane: Come on, I just want to show you this one photo.
You: I am busy and I need you to leave my work area.

(That last part should only be needed if Jane is pathologically persistent, which she might be.)

In doing this, you’re going to feel rude! But it’s not rude. She’s being rude, and she’s forcing your hand.

If you repeat this enough times and do it consistently, there’s a decent chance that it’ll train Jane to leave you alone. The consistency part is really important though, because if you let her interrupt you some of the time, she’ll learn that she should just keep trying. If you never let her, she’s more likely to eventually accept the boundary.

If that doesn’t work, then you should indeed talk to your boss. Frame it as, “I’m having an issue with Jane that I hoped you could help with. She interrupts me to socialize multiple times a day, when I’m trying to focus on work. I’ve asked her several times to stop and explained that I need to work, but it hasn’t helped.”

No good manager wants someone regularly distracting a team member from work they’re trying to do, let alone someone who ignores requests to stop, and there’s a high likelihood that she’ll speak to Jane, which should end up shutting it down. But even if your boss is problematically hands-off and does nothing, I promise you won’t look scatterbrained for explaining that you want to focus on your job!

Update

quote:

By the time my letter was published, things had come to a head. After a “last straw” interruption, I asked Jane to please not speak to me at work unless it was about work, as I really need to concentrate. She then asked me for my personal number, so she could call me to chat sometimes. I didn’t want this, so I said that I’m really not interested in being social with people from work. This isn’t actually true, I have many work friends who I see outside of work, but I couldn’t think of anything else in the moment. She was obviously hurt by this and left a long message on my work voicemail about how people like me are depressing and a sign of what’s wrong with the world, etc.

I kept my head down and tried to avoid her for a few days, but she kept making passive-aggressive comments about me, doing things like coughing loudly in meetings when I spoke and then loudly announcing that she was so sorry and didn’t mean to break anyone’s concentration. Another time, when we were in the break room another colleague asked me to pass the coffee creamer and Jane remarked that she didn’t know that coffee creamer was on the approved list of things people were allowed to ask me about. I was contemplating how to resolve this when the letter was published.

The support of your readers was really exactly what I needed. Having so many people tell me that they would have found the constant interruptions frustrating and unmanageable was very validating. So was the reassurance that a reasonable boss wouldn’t blame me for not being able to handle that behavior. And luckily, my boss is extremely reasonable. I went to her and outlined everything from my first letter, utilizing your script, plus the latest happenings. I played her the voicemail message, and her eyes got huge. She promised me the behavior would stop, and asked me to come to her again if it didn’t.

I don’t know what she said to Jane, but all the passive-aggressive comments stopped. And even better, I was given an OFFICE! It’s small and windowless so it had been disused for a while, but it’s so much better for my concentration. I’m now away from the open-plan floor, and my productivity is through the roof. I’m getting great feedback and I’m really happy in my environment. And I know my boss has my back, so I feel even more content in this workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

trickybiscuits posted:

Was the plumbing clogged with puke?

A weird one from Ask a Manager: coworker keeps interrupting my work and told me it’s “good practice” to keep myself focused

Update

"Jane was so awful to work with my job actually got better once my desk was moved to an unused closet."