Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

i didn't even realize the page number until now

edit: gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Stereotype posted:

hail satan

e poo poo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

People don't give a poo poo about climate change because the info is just something they can't/won't remember:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/impact-of-reading-about-climate-science-goes-away-almost-instantly/

Oh what's that, increased co2 in atmosphere causes mass fires, floods and famine?

... *Thought evaporates*

Wanna go bowling?

"Exposing people to scientific information seems to work, but only briefly—and very briefly if they subsequently get exposed to misinformation in the form of opinion pieces. The researchers involved refer to holding accurate information as "fragile" and conclude that "the persistence of misperceptions reflects both the limits of human memory and the constraints imposed by the political information environment.""

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Jun 24, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ihmemies posted:

People don't give a poo poo about climate change because the info is just something they can't/won't remember:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/impact-of-reading-about-climate-science-goes-away-almost-instantly/

Oh what's that, increased co2 in atmosphere causes mass fires, floods and famine?

... *Thought evaporates*

Wanna go bowling?

"Exposing people to scientific information seems to work, but only briefly—and very briefly if they subsequently get exposed to misinformation in the form of opinion pieces. The researchers involved refer to holding accurate information as "fragile" and conclude that "the persistence of misperceptions reflects both the limits of human memory and the constraints imposed by the political information environment.""

i can more or less attest to this that i cant remember what i read last week or even 3 days ago, unless it was just particularly insane, like, idk, jimmy hoffa in a barrel at the bottom of a lake kinda thing

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

I think you underestimate how resilient knowledge of these things is, how quickly it can be reconstructed, how redundant/correlated a lot of technological knowledge is (allowing for pieces B, C, D to be quickly reconstructed from just piece A), and how many people there are out there who have a tremendous amount of knowledge about many things esoteric to the average person. Also, a lot of modern technology is very obvious and inevitable once you understand certain base facts that were simply unknown for a long time. Even the mere understanding that a particular thing is for sure, 100%, *possible* can make it's technological development nearly inevitable in short order--at least in terms of the knowledge and techniques required.

Honestly I think ol' Teddy K covered this more or less correctly--technologies gated predominantly by *knowledge* never really revert or disappear, but technology dependent on a high level of economic and social organization over large spaces and over large times will disappear as societies collapse to become smaller, less complex, and less integrated. Anything that can be done, in some fashion, on a small scale will not be forgotten--especially if it has applications for weapons, transportation, energy production, or agriculture.

I think you are dramatically overestimating the resilience of our epistemic structures. all knowledge is depends on the economic and social structures that produced and maintains them, just like everything else. and they're already falling apart, just look at how covid devastated the concept of "risk." the epistemic collapse is a big part of biosphere collapse.

that's why the epistemic rider is my favorite horseman. :nsa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

hail satan

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Holy poo poo

Wb

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hell yes. Welcome back.

Any new crack ping thoughts in your (bs exile)?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ihmemies posted:

... *Thought evaporates*

Wanna go bowling?

Why should we trouble ourselves with what the average person does or does not believe? They aren't in any way involved in any of the decisions our societies make.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

i wish that would happen to me right now

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
our attention span is so collectively damaged that people literally can't process impending danger because it just sublimates from their minds moments later

lol lmao

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

no object permanence, but that object is a planet able to support life

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Biosphere prolapse

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The opposite of collapse; for those wanting to go down the rabbit hole of gardening/agriculture/farming that improves the land used:

Grains/cereals/beans/legumes
No-till farming that uses zero fertilizer. Farmers with hundreds of acres plant a mix of cover crops (quick growing plants that take nitrogen from the air and put it into the soil). Then right before the crop sets seed, they use a heavy roller to break the stems and roll it flat. With a special tractor they cut into that residue and deposit the seed of the cash crop they are wanting to farm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwwfL2o9d4

Vegetables
Market gardens. Small scale farmers using 1-5 acres are much more efficient growing vegetables(and much more profitable per acre). Mound up standard length-wide beds of soil, and apply compost to them each year as the fertilizer. No tractors needed, 100% human powered with tools designed for high efficiency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5iJYVnw4ns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY4SJt4mzg

Meat
Rotational/mob grazing. Using herds of cows/sheep/goats/chickens, you divide up your land and rotate your animals into different sections, the key being you give the land a few months to rest before the animals return to that area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZagcP4U8-0

fascinating just to think about, the no-dig compost veg gardens are really neat; makes me think of https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/reinventing-the-greenhouse.html

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
retard demon babyfucker empires of the west might not be able to survive in a world where neocolonial exploitation becomes impossible as their economies and ecologies collapse, and the incapabilities of neoliberal states in their responses becomes obvious to their citizens and enslaved immigrant populations, but I am not convinced the same would hold true for China and the economic sphere they're building. China switching over to a limited trade sphere, and surviving in autarky even if that fails, seems to me an entirely possible to achieve goal for them within 10-20 years

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Homocow posted:

our attention span is so collectively damaged that people literally can't process impending danger because it just sublimates from their minds moments later

lol lmao

Is it conspiratorial to suggest that this is a big part of the reason why they decided to let Covid rip? I mean, we've already spent the last 50 years dumbing people down pretty much explicitly, so why not normalize repeated infections with a brain fog machine disease

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I keep remembering a drew Carey stand up joke I saw as a kid where he’s all ‘I stand outside using hair spray bottle saying bring on global warming I’m cold’

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
That's impressive you can remember back that far. I'm not even sure who I am at this point

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Hi thread, I know it's all pretty doom and gloom, but I had a really good thought I'm excited to share with you to combat the doomerism.

Every time you see some horrible news about climate change, and how you're seeing that kind of news a lot more than you used to, think about police brutality!

Sure, you're seeing a lot of news about that too, right? But that's just because everyone has a camera now to document it, it was actually always happening!

Climate change works the same way. All the fires and droughts and floods you hear about? They always happened they just didn't get as much coverage before, that means things aren't actually getting worse it's just the same as it ever was!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lollontee posted:

retard demon babyfucker empires of the west might not be able to survive in a world where neocolonial exploitation becomes impossible as their economies and ecologies collapse, and the incapabilities of neoliberal states in their responses becomes obvious to their citizens and enslaved immigrant populations, but I am not convinced the same would hold true for China and the economic sphere they're building. China switching over to a limited trade sphere, and surviving in autarky even if that fails, seems to me an entirely possible to achieve goal for them within 10-20 years

inshallah.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thank goodness. It's all going to be ok after all!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

lollontee posted:

Buddy, they're gonna be just as on fire and underwater as the rest of us.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lollontee posted:

3-4c degrees of warming (what we're on track for) over a period of a few centuries (with 60-75% of that warming occurring in ~50 years) is apocalyptic and an existential threat to us as a species. Unless China rips itself out of the mantle and flies off into space it's as hosed as everyone else is.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of the climate I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of stories like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The stories were just windows to a future I’ve never believed in, weather and temperatures I never knew or would ever know. But this story made me stop and evaluate. Putting Credit Scores in focus made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.
:golfclap:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Shyrka posted:

Hi thread, I know it's all pretty doom and gloom, but I had a really good thought I'm excited to share with you to combat the doomerism.

Every time you see some horrible news about climate change, and how you're seeing that kind of news a lot more than you used to, think about police brutality!

Sure, you're seeing a lot of news about that too, right? But that's just because everyone has a camera now to document it, it was actually always happening!

Climate change works the same way. All the fires and droughts and floods you hear about? They always happened they just didn't get as much coverage before, that means things aren't actually getting worse it's just the same as it ever was!

No wonder the qcs trash worships the sand they get to keep sticking their heads in

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

3-4c degrees of warming (what we're on track for) over a period of a few centuries (with 60-75% of that warming occurring in ~50 years) is apocalyptic and an existential threat to us as a species. Unless China rips itself out of the mantle and flies off into space it's as hosed as everyone else is.

a strong and ideologically motivated government, with immensely powerful manufacturing and scientific sectors of society, adapting to 2.5 degree warming over the course of 50 years in a way that doesn't lead to the total collapse of technological civilization, but merely immense chaos and suffering; and this is something you cannot visualize?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

I'm currently reading How to TENDERLY AND PEACABLY CRITICIZE a Pipeline and it's good so far, definitely revealing what a sham non-violent movements are

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lollontee posted:

a strong and ideologically motivated government, with immensely powerful manufacturing and scientific sectors of society, adapting to 2.5 degree warming over the course of 50 years in a way that doesn't lead to the total collapse of technological civilization, but merely immense chaos and suffering; and this is something you cannot visualize?

Everyone seems to think their little favorite spot will be totally fine in climate change scenarios. I think I've heard this same denial argument about every city and country on earth in this very thread.

You are all wrong, nowhere is safe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pryor on Fire posted:

nowhere is safe.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everyone seems to think their little favorite spot will be totally fine in climate change scenarios. I think I've heard this same denial argument about every city and country on earth in this very thread.

You are all wrong, nowhere is safe.

There are some places where this is true though, i.e. phoenix

Because it will be devoid of human life

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

if I live near a big source of fresh water, I may be able to live for like another year before I have to flee or am stuck in some refugee ghetto that is dangerous and kills me due to exposure/disease/thirst/starvation

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bi crimes posted:

if I live near a big source of fresh water, I may be able to live for like another year before I have to flee or am stuck in some refugee ghetto that is dangerous and kills me due to exposure/disease/thirst/starvation

*rolls dice*
The big fresh water source attracted dozens of disparate gangs, several of which eat you

They get sick because you had already poo poo yourself to death of giardia from drinking unpurified water

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

haha nooo

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

I'm so maladapted to heat, it's ridiculous. Got up early today to do some weeding in the potato patch and prep a new field for the Jerusalem artichokes. loving 10 AM, and I'm sweating like I've run a marathon. 19°C. Tomorrow's gonna be 10 degrees warmer. Good thing that carbon capture plant in Iceland is up and running. Gonna plant som trees for shade tonight, gently caress this.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

You know how people from cold climates are always lording over everyone how they're used to it and this cold is nothing? Well as a lifelong floridian your measly little 110 means nothing to me. You all merely adopted the heat

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bharatrocity posted:

I'm so maladapted to heat, it's ridiculous. Got up early today to do some weeding in the potato patch and prep a new field for the Jerusalem artichokes. loving 10 AM, and I'm sweating like I've run a marathon. 19°C. Tomorrow's gonna be 10 degrees warmer. Good thing that carbon capture plant in Iceland is up and running. Gonna plant som trees for shade tonight, gently caress this.

I go out for like 30 seconds and my body thinks i'm finally training for that marathon. Open the floodgates, boys!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The big water caused a once in a thousand years storm, washing your settlement away

Do you want to start a new game? Y/N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Bharatrocity posted:

Yeah, just give it a few decades - once that thing gets going WHOO BOY it’s gonna be nice.