Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Larryb posted:

The dubs for Soul Eater/Not and Fairy Tail weren’t bad either (Inuyasha/Yashahime as well though I vastly prefer Kagome’s original dub actress)

They changed Kagome's voice actress??? Is nothing sacred!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dongicus posted:

well tbh its probably a good thing that they are all american sounding because the alternative is far worse (english)

A fate worse than death quite frankly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just saw that COVID might have wrecked Sean Chiplock’s throat

bad month for voice actors

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

They changed Kagome's voice actress??? Is nothing sacred!?!

Yeah, back in the dub for Final Act (and the replacement later reprised her role in Yashahime). I believe her original VA Moneca Stori retired from acting or something

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And while he was able to reprise Miroku in the first episode of Yashahime, Kirby Morrow unfortunately did pass while the dub was in production and had to be recast for his next appearance.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Larryb posted:

Yeah, back in the dub for Final Act (and the replacement later reprised her role in Yashahime). I believe her original VA Moneca Stori retired from acting or something

Oh, that's more reasonable. I hope she enjoys her retirement. But I will miss her. I never watched the Final Act, I should get around to that some day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

And while he was able to reprise Miroku in the first episode of Yashahime, Kirby Morrow unfortunately did pass while the dub was in production and had to be recast for his next appearance.

Still absolutely guts me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, he was voiced by Ian Corlett in the rest of the dub (who wasn’t too bad in the role to be fair)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

There are some shows where I kind of like the Japanese and English dubs pretty much equally, Slayers (even though Sylphiel‘s original English VA could not act to save her life), and Cowboy Bebop (which I actually think works a little better in English for some reason) for example

The dubs for Soul Eater/Not and Fairy Tail weren’t bad either (Inuyasha/Yashahime as well though I vastly prefer Kagome’s original dub actress)

This is some excellent taste here. Fairy Tail and Inuyasha have two of the best dubs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCUaLfAm2k

And Kagome's original dub VA was perfect. It's just not the same without her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is there a particular reason why Moneca quit acting out of curiosity? Her replacement Kira Tozer isn’t terrible per se but she doesn’t really bring the same energy to the role in my opinion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 23, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I was talking about this in the Final Fantasy thread of all places earlier but does Ocean still do anime dubs? They did the Inuyasha sequel maybe? I don't think they do Gundam at all anymore and I just haven't heard them in forever.

Larryb posted:

Is there a particular reason why Moneca quit acting out of curiosity? Her replacement Kira Tozer isn’t terrible per se but she doesn’t really bring the same energy to the role in my opinion

I'm not sure, I've never heard a reason. It just happens sometimes. There's a voice-actress named Lia Sargent who was in basically every anime dub from the early 2000s and I know her as Shion from the JRPG series Xenosaga. But after reprising her role as Shion in Episode 3 due to popular demand back in 2006, I think she just vanished and I haven't heard her in anything since.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pourin one out for the saps who've only seen Bebop in English, never to learn that "Shucks Howdy!" is a localization for "AMIGOOOOOOOO"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I was talking about this in the Final Fantasy thread of all places earlier but does Ocean still do anime dubs? They did the Inuyasha sequel maybe? I don't think they do Gundam at all anymore and I just haven't heard them in forever.

The Ocean dub is still the best (official) dub of DBZ. :colbert: DBZA is the best, though.

verbal enema posted:

quote:

Halloween

ah the soul eater anime before it got mangled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztch6_Uhuk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

It looks like the most recent dub they've produced is Tobot Galaxy Detective, a dub of a Korean cartoon that started in 2020 and seems to be ongoing. Their last Japanese anime was Zoids Wild in 2019.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

They worked with Crunchyroll on Gintama back in 2016. Apparently they also did one of the Zoids shows that came out two years back.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 23, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: No longer necessary

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 23, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The Ocean dub is still the best (official) dub of DBZ. :colbert: DBZA is the best, though.

They had some great voices but they were held back by a godawful script.

But at this point in my life I consider DBZ a massive pile of poo poo anyway so what does it matter. Dragonball ended with Dragon Ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF55Mt_m8K8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9mUSxq7Kg

DBZ has some die-hard dub haters and critics out there but even on places like that they generally recognized Stephanie Nadolny was perfect s Kid Goku.

Waffleman_ posted:

It looks like the most recent dub they've produced is Tobot Galaxy Detective, a dub of a Korean cartoon that started in 2020 and seems to be ongoing. Their last Japanese anime was Zoids Wild in 2019.

Hm, that is still closer than I knew. Did anybody ever watch that Zoids series? I was warned off Fuzors and Genesis a long time ago but maybe they corrected course and made another good series.

I know some people stan New Century Zero, and it was good, but I'm all about Guardian Force. Chaotic Century, the first part, is okay, but GF is just incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldx2tsIy5Bw

Speaking of dubs, this dub is nowhere near as good as NCZ's but it has a charm, and Hiltz's VA is legit awesome. Also I think Irvine is Domon from G Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larryb posted:

Did you quote the wrong post? Moneca Stori hasn’t acted since 2018 and neither actress I mentioned was in either of those shows (in fact Inuyasha/Yashahime is apparently the only anime role Kira has ever done)

I did quote the wrong post. Whoops

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

When I worked tech support I talked to the lady who did the Ocean dub of Frieza in DBZ because she wanted to speak with a supervisor about how helpful the person she got was. She was a sweetheart but it was so surreal having Frieza on the line telling you how pleased he was with the young man who was just on the phone. I just thought she was a lady that smoked a lot of cigs until she said something about how she "used to do some VO work" and when I looked her up it all clicked.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

I assume it’s basically the same thing you see with popular voice actors like the Critical Role guys who mostly stopped doing anime dubs (besides maybe reprisals) because it’s a lot of vocal strain and doesn’t pay great.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

When I worked tech support I talked to the lady who did the Ocean dub of Frieza in DBZ because she wanted to speak with a supervisor about how helpful the person she got was. She was a sweetheart but it was so surreal having Frieza on the line telling you how pleased he was with the young man who was just on the phone. I just thought she was a lady that smoked a lot of cigs until she said something about how she "used to do some VO work" and when I looked her up it all clicked.

Frieza dealing with tech-support and other office stuff would be a genius comedy idea for someone like Team Four Star to riff on.

Dongicus posted:

well tbh its probably a good thing that they are all american sounding because the alternative is far worse (english)

I'm the complete opposite. But I think for me it's hard to separate the association I have with American accents and the image I have of them, so it's reeeally jarring to see some teen isekai protagonist sound like a late-twenties California dude.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Coxswain Balls posted:

this owns

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzSjm-cyeo

This is amazing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

just saw that COVID might have wrecked Sean Chiplock’s throat

bad month for voice actors

He did tell a deranged twitter weirdo that he's going to give their mother a child who isn't a disappointment so at least he's not completely depressed

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

Best post I've read all year.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Jomo posted:

I'm the complete opposite. But I think for me it's hard to separate the association I have with American accents and the image I have of them, so it's reeeally jarring to see some teen isekai protagonist sound like a late-twenties California dude.

it'd rock to hear fargo accent anime people lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7KBM470FF4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

WE loving MADE IT

copy
Jul 26, 2007

its good

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/_uw7s/status/1540415872745062400

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hell yeah

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

marumaru posted:

WE loving MADE IT

copy posted:

its good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

finally some good news today

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oh my god youtube just recommended me a trash podcast and it's with the metamorphosis artist

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You don't have to report back your findings.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

and ill wait another ten thousand years to figure out what happened to phos

also lol appropriate av

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

marumaru posted:

oh my god youtube just recommended me a trash podcast and it's with the metamorphosis artist

YouTube isa lot better once you turn off all history/targeted recommendations, and start blocking every channel you never want to see again as they appear in your recommended feed.

:iia:

Taken me years and thousands of "do not recommend this channel" clicks but I'm happy.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

YouTube isa lot better once you turn off all history/targeted recommendations
...you can do that? isn't that google's entire business model?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

marumaru posted:

...you can do that? isn't that google's entire business model?

That, plus turning off all the ad recommendation stuff in your Google account proper, and turning off autoplay.

Then, on the Home > recommended tab i just hit this whenever i see a channel i don't care about and never want to see again:

And if you're on phone/tablet, you can even do it to videos that show up in the sidebar while playing one (afaik you can't do this on browser):

I've found that discord shares your chatlogs to YouTube for keywords, and there's nothing you can really do about that. It's the only way to explain why I've gotten videos recommended to me that are French language when discord is the only place i ever type it.
I wish YouTube would just let me blacklist certain keywords from appearing in video titles; asmr, mukbang, viral, *pos YouTube chud here*, etc.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wow EDF 5 owns

why have i never played these!!!