Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I like action RPGs. Never played a Ys game.

Ys VIII (8): yay or nay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morter posted:

Yay, it's the best implementation of the modern party based Ys games (as opposed to the old school ones which just has you play as one character the whole game).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What are the top, uh, three must play games (to completion) on the Sega Genesis Switch App?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What are the top, uh, three must play games (to completion) on the Sega Genesis Switch App?

Contra Hard Corps
Toejam and Earl

I don't know what else.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Treasure conveniently has three of their games on there:
Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Gunstar Heroes

Edit: Four even, although I've never played Light Crusader.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 24, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Morter posted:

It’s pretty solid, tho the switch port is a bit iffy

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Also yeah, NMS was a shitshow at launch (and for quite a while after launch) and I don't blame anyone for feeling ripped off or not taking stuff he says at face value. It's just that the effort they have put into trying to make up for that shitshow is notable as well, and in general the vibe is that it was issues with inexperience and scope creep rather than malicious deception.

I don't care about who said what or how hard the Dev worked post launch. The problem with NMS is that 99% of the gameplay is staring at a rock while you laser it, the exploration is tedious and repetitive, and base building is worst in class. It's just a bad game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

I don't care about who said what or how hard the Dev worked post launch. The problem with NMS is that 99% of the gameplay is staring at a money making rocks while you laser it, the exploration is tedious and repetitive, and base building is worst in class. It's just a bad game.

FTFY

The early game really does need reworking, cause the mid to post fame feel so wildly different and better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

FTFY

The early game really does need reworking, cause the mid to post fame feel so wildly different and better.

I don't know, I don't really mind it that much. It doesn't take THAT much lasering to get what you need.

On paper, there's so much I'd probably dislike about NMS, but in practice, I've ended up absolutely loving the poo poo out of the whole game. :shrug:

I'm currently building a Friend Hotel on a wickedly inhospitable ice planet; frequent blizzards, sentinels, the works.... but I now have a 6-person haven from the cruel elements, complete with health stations, a teleporter, couches, rugs, and fireplaces.

I love it. I remember playing in Minecraft, trying to find a snowy biome to build a cozy lodge in, and quickly realizing that weather and climate don't make one bit of difference in that game. True, in NMS, bad weather is generally the same, regardless of the type (blizzard, heat storm, wind storm), with few differences, but drat, it FEELS cold on my planet.

And my base is so cozy :3:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't even think this happened with Fable.

I never played any of them, so I don't know; I just assumed the post was a joke.

He's being facetious.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I'll have to get it, even if the exploration is fleeting or whatever I just love those initial tough hours of those games and then realizing everything is available to you. I may bounce off it hard, but if I don't it'll be perfect. Even now, once or twice a year I still boot up my un-updated Minecraft game, seed a new map, find a mine and come out covered in diamond gear before being killed. I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think I'll have to get it, even if the exploration is fleeting or whatever I just love those initial tough hours of those games and then realizing everything is available to you. I may bounce off it hard, but if I don't it'll be perfect. Even now, once or twice a year I still boot up my un-updated Minecraft game, seed a new map, find a mine and come out covered in diamond gear before being killed. I love it.

If you have even a passing interest in Minecraft then I think NMS will click with you quite a bit.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There are people who are jaded by the No Man's Sky MMO kickstarter promise, and people who played after the multiplayer-update and practically forgot or never knew the KS even happened

All I know is that the first version resembled what we would call today an early access build. Framing is everything

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spellman posted:

There are people who are jaded by the No Man's Sky MMO kickstarter promise, and people who played after the multiplayer-update and practically forgot or never knew the KS even happened

All I know is that the first version resembled what we would call today an early access build. Framing is everything

Oh, absolutely. It's not lost on me that I didn't experience any of the early stuff; I jumped in this year, shortly after Outlaws was released. But at the same time, because I'm coming from it as a new player, I'm also explaining my experience to other new players.

I remember wishing I could play it, when it was about to come out and then quickly not caring due to the actual reception it got. However, it's an entirely different game now, and one that I think anyone interested in space travel, survival, and/or crafting games should check out.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Of all of the games where 3/4s of the main gameplay loop is to stand still and watch meters go up, NMS is probably the overall best.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would rather play a fun game like shredders revenge

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i would rather play a fun game like shredders revenge

Shredders Revenge doesn't even let you build sewer outposts wtf is even the point

Edit: Can't even mine the metals of the technodrome over the course of an hour! Bullshit!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Shredders Revenge would be improved by having you scan every interactive object and enemy for expanded lore.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i already know the lore from reading the back of the box for the teenage mutant ninja turtle action figures and watching the cartoon every saturday morning

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zurtilik posted:

Shredders Revenge would be improved by having you scan every interactive object and enemy for expanded lore.
TMNT Prime.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zurtilik posted:

id be down with that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

id be down with that

All the lore descriptions include the word "cowabunga!" in unique configurations. Put together, it's the spiritual successor to Ulysses.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing Beast Breaker and I'm going to recommend it.

At first, based on the trailer/images in the store, I thought it was just a linear sort of peggle-like, bouncing between stuff except that you do damage or something to parts to destroy one monster after another. It's more than that, which I was pleasantly surprised to discover. The big thing I like about it is the equipment system - there are a few weapon types to use, and each of them play quite differently from each other. For example, the sword is your typical bounce-between weapon, ping-ponging off the enemy to build up charge and unleash attacks, whereas the bow has you stay back to perform ranged attacks, combining effects to unleash a bunch of damage, and the hammer doesn't have a lot of movement, but you power up your moves by using them concurrently, unleashing big attacks while not moving a lot. But then, between each weapon type are a bunch of different weapons that have different effects, again wildly changing how you play.

The weapon that sort of 'clicked' this fact into place for me was a sword that retaliated. See, normally you smack the enemy, break through its 'shards' (bits around the cores you need to destroy) before performing strong attacks against the core. This sword, however, was based around performing attacks against the beast to piss it off and raise its attack power, then basically setting up a counterattack and jumping into its attack range to smack it for a ton of damage in a counterattack. Or there's a bow that's based just around damaging the shards so that they explode and do damage to the core, rather than attacking them yourself.

Then there's a system where you can craft parts of weapons and combine them in battles for different groups of abilities, which adds even more possibilities to your combat.

And each weapon tends to fair differently against different beast types, so you'll probably want to strategize, possibly equipping the area-of-effect hammer against the beast with a bunch of shells impeding your direct attacks, for example.

Anyway, I was quite surprised by the game, and am enjoying it. I'm hoping I can get through it before Sunbreaker comes out, but the story isn't super in-depth, so even if I don't, it's pretty easy to pick up to fight a beast and continue the plot just a little bit or collect some crafting stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mierenneuker posted:

Treasure conveniently has three of their games on there:
Alien Soldier
Dynamite Headdy
Gunstar Heroes

Edit: Four even, although I've never played Light Crusader.

Alien Soldier alone makes the entire expansion pass worth it.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force II

… and then whichever of Castlevania, Contra, or Gunstar Heroes clicks with you the most.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
has anyone tried omori on switch? i want to play an rpg that makes me Depressed but i want to do it while making GBS threads on the Toilet

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I played it on Switch for that reason and it ran fine and had me crying while playing in bed just as I wanted

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
perfect thank you, that's going into the library for eventual holiday ennui

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One other thing that really made me love NMS is when I stopped expecting it to be 1-to-1 with reality or what reality would be like if we had FTL space travel.

In the NMS universe, the sun revolves around the planets, there are (essentially) 3 alien races, all planets are almost the same size and are basically one biome each, and the same currency and elements are found throughout all 255 galaxies.

I don't expect it to be more like how real life is and just accept that these are the rules of the NMS universe.

This sort of thing also helps with literally every other game that tries to do realism in most if not all aspects. You don't need to eat or sleep in Skyrim; it's an abstraction, so just assume it happens, or in the Elder Scrolls universe, no one actually needs food or rest. :shrug:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Pokemon Snap is out on the N64 app.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FYI if you don't mind it looking kind of rough (text aliasing in the menus, stuff like that) AI runs much better than the first game so far

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing Beast Breaker and I'm going to recommend it.

I absolutely loved Beast Breaker. My one complaint is that takes too long to unlock throwing knives, but they're also way too good, so it makes sense to save them for the endgame.

I thought the story was really solid, too, especially for a peggle game. My favorite game ending since Outer Wilds.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This sort of thing also helps with literally every other game that tries to do realism in most if not all aspects. You don't need to eat or sleep in Skyrim; it's an abstraction, so just assume it happens, or in the Elder Scrolls universe, no one actually needs food or rest. :shrug:

Or since it's Elder Scrolls, just download mods that require you to eat, sleep, drink, bathe, and use the bathroom.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Or since it's Elder Scrolls, just download mods that require you to eat, sleep, drink, bathe, and use the bathroom.

i can do all this in real life without mods...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played neon white and holy poo poo this game was made for me I can’t stop playing neon white

It’s rare that a game has me wanting to go AS FAST AS POSSIBLE all the time but it’s so good poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
why take a digital poop when i can take a real poop

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Todd Howard: See that toilet? You can poop in it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I played neon white and holy poo poo this game was made for me I can’t stop playing neon white

It’s rare that a game has me wanting to go AS FAST AS POSSIBLE all the time but it’s so good poo poo

I really like the way the movement looks but my hands are kinda crappy these days.

Is navigation kinda intense/twitchy or is it something you can do relatively coolly as long as you don't panic?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

I really like the way the movement looks but my hands are kinda crappy these days.

Is navigation kinda intense/twitchy or is it something you can do relatively coolly as long as you don't panic?

So far I’ve been getting platinum medals just using normal dual joystick controls and being calm and replaying levels. There are instances where the aiming is definitely not the greatest and I wonder if I need like, an actual mouse and keyboard for it but it’s a lot more generous than it looks so far. It feels like the decision making is a bit more important than like the actual execution for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kinda dumb with a system that both has gyro and actually utilizes it, but are there any Switch games that use a mouse? I think a few support keyboards, but I could be wrong.