Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NutritiousSnack posted:

I know the show is trying to paint it as 'soft boyfriend sexism' but this outright extends into the fact everyone's life is in total and complete danger, and him standing around naked with his dick in his hand is actually the most useful he's been in the situation.

He's deliberately putting him into dangerous situations though, chasing down superpowered people to get into physical fights with them because he "has" to "protect" his girlfriend - a woman who isn't just one of the most powerful superhumans in the world but has spent her entire life training and working as a superhero - and telling her that he isn't going to "let" her put herself in danger's way but it's okay for him, a former salesman and later office bureaucrat who has taken to shooting up with experimental drugs that are making his ears bleed when he's not suffering violent withdrawal symptoms. He makes a big deal out of how Soldier Boy needs his help re: modern technology to track down the T & T Twins, but he's the one who then invites himself along and shoots up with Temp V and then puts himself into the middle of Herogasm when he 100% wasn't needed there at all.

I have a lot of sympathy for the fact he's been through a shitload of trauma, and that it's understandable he's horrified to learn that Neuman is just another super-powered rear end in a top hat, but he's also forcing a lot of utterly unnecessary situations because at the heart of things he can't deal with Annie being the stronger and better suited to fighting of the two of them.

I know the Nina storyline is getting dumped on for her being a woefully unbelievable "threat", but at least there Frenchie is fully aware and not threatened by the fact that Kimiko is by the far the more dangerous and accomplished of the two of them - whether she has superpowers or is de-powered his main concern is that he wants the two of them both to get out of the horrible mess they've been dragged into.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I mean once again, how does that Instragram post by Annie make a lick of sense given they already had the cellphone footage of Not 9/11 to hold over his head and how clear it's been made leaking anything like that is a bad idea?

I think the difference here is that this is an exposure of the entire system, Vought included, Soldier Boy being alive and killing people exposed etc as opposed to specifically and individually targeting a Homelander specific incident. Annie's meeting with Neuman is the moment where she realizes her attempts to appease in order to work "within the system" is just leading to a continuation of the same horrible bullshit they all hate - which Hughie is literally doing right now by teaming with Soldier Boy and turning a blind eye to the collateral damage for "the greater good" - and she isn't going to be a part of it anymore. Her quitting in so public a fashion is not just exposing everything, but it's preventing everybody - including Homelander - having to acknowledge these things, or at least have to work a lot harder to try and clean up the damage. Exposing the Homelander footage would just put all the onus on Homelander against everybody else, which would make his threat to just attack the whole world far more likely.

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is also not going into the fact Solider Boy is way more morally complicated than MM or Starlight think and it's clear he can be reasoned with, not remotely like Homelander or even most of the Seven (or what remains of them).

I will say in regards to this that I think Soldier Boy's reaction to MM - "You killed my family" "Which one? :shrug:" or in other words that he's killed more families as collateral damage than he can count (or be bothered to) - demonstrates that he's only better than Homelander insofar is that Homelander is just such an awful and utterly narcissistic monster who thinks he is the only real person (or at least person worth caring about) in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

The satire is sometimes too on the nose, like when A Train just recreated the pepsi commercial, but Soldier Boy going on about Bill Cosby and the brave Mujahedeen got me.

"Why did we go into Afghanistan? They're the good guys!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This is definitely one of the best episodes the show's had imo

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Apparently Maeve has the most screentime of any character in the finale, according to a full season review I read. Something like, "Maeve was noticeably absent all season but they made up for in the final..." (very vague upcoming episode spoilers)

neat although i am also worried about her dying but at this point most of the characters are probably at risk

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
this show rules, herogasm was a complete red herring but gently caress it, surprise nuclear dogpiling on homelander

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda loving hate this show for (big spoilers)making me kinda like a-train again. I know he's a pretty much irredeemable rear end in a top hat but holy gently caress that road drag scene was amazing. I went from hating him for being a weak useless lump who sold out supersonic to actually kinda respecting him for going out the way he did, if he did indeed go out.

I know it's vaguely open ended at the moment and we won't know until next week at the earliest, but gently caress they keep yanking on the heartstrings.

I'm kinda wondering if soldier boy is gonna be the thing that takes out Nina this season. He hears the accent, blacks out/ptsd's again and her and her entire diner/warehouse is ash.

This episode has some amazing moments but a standout had to be Deep hauling rear end to his h3 with the octopus in a plastic bag of water. "I don't wanna hear it! Not the time!"

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jerusalem posted:

a woman who isn't just one of the most powerful superhumans in the world but has spent her entire life training and working as a superhero

She also immediately proves she is still much more powerful than he is on temp V when he says he won't let her go back.

Jerusalem posted:

I will say in regards to this that I think Soldier Boy's reaction to MM - "You killed my family" "Which one? :shrug:" or in other words that he's killed more families as collateral damage than he can count (or be bothered to) - demonstrates that he's only better than Homelander insofar is that Homelander is just such an awful and utterly narcissistic monster who thinks he is the only real person (or at least person worth caring about) in the world.

Soldier Boy seems genuinely remorseful about accidentally killing the people in the city. It would be interesting to see his response to MM telling him that he thoughtlessly obliterated an old man. It might all just be a defense mechanism though, "I blacked out, it's not on me".

Jensen Ackles is just too drat likeable.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This episode has some amazing moments but a standout had to be Deep hauling rear end to his h3 with the octopus in a plastic bag of water. "I don't wanna hear it! Not the time!"

I loved the little detail that during the octopussy scene, after Deep says "It was Homelander's idea", Annie does a double-take and looks at the octopus before asking "What was his idea?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SpaceCommie posted:

She also immediately proves she is still much more powerful than he is on temp V when he says he won't let her go back.

Soldier Boy seems genuinely remorseful about accidentally killing the people in the city. It would be interesting to see his response to MM telling him that he thoughtlessly obliterated an old man. It might all just be a defense mechanism though, "I blacked out, it's not on me".

I think the blackouts are genuine; he made a remark after blowing up asking Butcher what had happened as if he wasn’t aware of what he’d just done

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

everydayfalls posted:

I am probably going to be in the minority but I thought the "twist" of homelander having a split personality didn't land. It seemed like they are trying to humanize him or soften him. Neither of which work given the body of work we have seen from him. In the theme of this episode (you can chose not to be a captive of your past) I can see what they are going for. But his casual cruelty across the series leaves me unwilling to buy that his childhood trauma is driving him.

I didn't like it. As the villain character he is portrayed at he should have zero inner thoughts, personality or dialogue with himself, and be completely empty inside other than his tower of insecurities and inadequacies. He's a narcissistic sociopathic void, existing only through the love and admiration he gets externally and the methods he are willing to use to get it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

Extremely true! I wonder if he'll be back for next season or this is a one and done, it's certainly interesting if only to see the old-school horrible encountering the modern environment he helped create, but Ackles is a very good actor to boot which is a big bonus.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i do kinda wanna do bennies and eat cheeseburgers with soldier boy

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BurritoJustice posted:

A-Train's dragging kill on Blue Hawk was 100% a reference to the very real execution method favoured by real life white supremacists wasn't it?

this was my first thought as well

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I think it's hilarious that the only two remaining members of The Seven confirmed to be around and alive are Homelander and The Deep. What a clown show.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Soldier Boy too drat like able. Also hes accidently killing people so at least hes not like homelander evil.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

I think it's hilarious that the only two remaining members of The Seven confirmed to be around and alive are Homelander and The Deep. What a clown show.

The Seven not being able to actually keep their roster at seven people is probably my favorite running gag, yeah.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man that fight in the end owned. I actually really liked that it was fairly subdued and low-powered, rather than people throwing each other through walls and demolishing their environment. Lent it much more weight and character than most superhero fights you usually see.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Soldier Boy is a reckless piece of poo poo and he's probably killed many many people, we see that in the Nicaragua flashback and we get that from MM's origin story, it is also analogous to the US's involvement in Afghanistan in a sense, it doesn't seem like he'd go out of his way to kill innocent people and the nuclear explosions are indeed seemingly not something he can be morally held accountable for but yeah, he's a bad person, like an even worse version of A-train, he was certainly abusive to his old crew and probably many others, he's just a more casual and apathetic kind of evil, he's not so much psychologically disturbed like Homelander clearly is.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It doesn’t really matter whether or not Soldier Boy is a “better person” than Homelander because the environment he’d create as being the world’s premier supe instead would be functionally the same. He’s still a mega powered violent man with regressive values that would shape the world into his preferred image whether by force or by example - you could probably even argue that on a long enough timeline, Soldier Boy would just become Homelander.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Soldier Boy is meant to be representative of the America of his era. He's a callous, violent rear end in a top hat but there's still a grounding human element to him. Like even from his incidental dialogue you can see he still thinks of himself as part of a society and not completely above it, he actually believed that the Mujahadeen were his guys and supported in their cause. It's a fun bit of storytelling, having the hero of the 20th century being this greatest generation thug who believed in capitalism and the american way going over to the hero of the 21st century being a pure product of capitalism who believes in nothing but himself and his own image

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well holy loving poo poo..

everyone was jizzing (no pun intended) about this episode, and thankfully it definitely lived up to the hype. may have to disagree with the general consensus about the herogasm event itself, but nearly everything surrounding it was superb (also no pun intended).

i'm personally a huge fan of episodes that have convergence with a lot of characters, so this one definitely made me happy. seeing almost every major player show up at herogasm, some of which were actually surprising like a-train, blue falcon and termite was a nice touch.as someone said, it felt incredibly satisfying to see homelander finally get some well deserved (albeit not entirely satisfying) punishment. the fact that it was butcher and hughie specifically, both characters that have personal beef with him, plus the fact that HLer was getting piled on by his childhood hero, felt very gratifying.

my only real complaints is that both starlight and MM didn't get a chance to do much during the brawl. and the whole frenchie/kimiko/nina subplot, while i don't MIND it, i felt could have been done at a better time, because as has been mentioned, poor frenchie would have loved to be at herogasm :smith:

still, aside from that, great episode. hell, i'd probably go a step further and say it's my favorite episode of the series so far.

one question though: what happend to nina? did she run away? frenchie said she's "gone" and makes it sound like she won't be bothering them anymore. but if she's still alive, i don't see how that's a possibility considering she's a fricken' mob boss. unless those two goons she had were the only employees she had.

also, possibly dumb question but were there signs that kimiko's powers were coming back? cause some of her feats were quite impressive. or was that all her own skill and adrenaline? cause that's even more impressive :monocle:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No Dignity posted:

he still thinks of himself as part of a society and not completely above it

I was trying to think how to articulate this thought and you completely nailed it. Agree completely, he's also of course part of the mindset that allowed for the creation of a figure like Homelander in the first place, but making him a man out of time works really well since he'd of course look down on what is in some ways the results of his actions without grasping his own complicity. "You were my hero as a kid" etc.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I think the blackouts are genuine; he made a remark after blowing up asking Butcher what had happened as if he wasn’t aware of what he’d just done

They are genuine. Russian pop music was the trigger the first time too.

everydayfalls posted:

I am probably going to be in the minority but I thought the "twist" of homelander having a split personality didn't land. It seemed like they are trying to humanize him or soften him. Neither of which work given the body of work we have seen from him. In the theme of this episode (you can chose not to be a captive of your past) I can see what they are going for. But his casual cruelty across the series leaves me unwilling to buy that his childhood trauma is driving him.

Also extra large oof on Solider boy in the hotel scene channeling the most toxic of "greatest generation" tendencies. That's probably going to be a problem sooner rather than later.

Lastly I agree with the poster above that Annie ripping the mask off is going to get untold numbers of people killed, especially because due to getting his clock cleaned and he is sporting a shiner Homelander can't just go on fox news Vought news and brow beat the media into accepting his story.

I don’t think it is a true split personality. It’s just there are limited ways of showing the inner dialogue of a character who is too isolated to talk to anyone. A true split personality in the cliche movie sense is an “that wasn’t me!” thing like Tyler Durdan. mirror homelander is still him, just working himself up.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 24, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

That whole fight scene was loving terrible. After all this buildup of Homelander supposedly being a terrifying unstoppable demon, it turns out that Temp-V made Butcher and Hughie capable of trading blows with him. It took more people to stomp on Stormfront. We know that Homelander is strong enough to throw people into orbit or through stone walls, but instead we got boring superhero fisticuffs between him and Soldier Boy.

Rest of the episode was great, especially A-Train's apology and Annie's speech.

The thing that really stood out to me was the scene where Starlight is talking to MM and trying to talk him down while 2 of the strongest loving people on the planet are brawling behind her. She should have been way more terrified and had a sense of urgency to get the gently caress out immediately. She started off acting that way but then calms down really quick like there are 2 toddlers wrestling behind her. Then they slowly walk away like this isn't the most terrifying poo poo you would have ever seen. :geno: There needed to be something to really sell that these 2 gods are going at it and they need to leave right now because at any second they could be dead. Her calmness and the cuts to the lackluster fight scene while she was giving her speech was really deflating.

sponges posted:

I don’t know how Hugie can morally justify hanging around with Solider Boy at this point. Or hanging around him out of basic self preservation. The guy is a time bomb.

Because it almost worked. A huge misstep by the show imo.

everydayfalls posted:

Also extra large oof on Solider boy in the hotel scene channeling the most toxic of "greatest generation" tendencies. That's probably going to be a problem sooner rather than later.

Lastly I agree with the poster above that Annie ripping the mask off is going to get untold numbers of people killed, especially because due to getting his clock cleaned and he is sporting a shiner Homelander can't just go on fox news Vought news and brow beat the media into accepting his story.

I think it would've worked if it was hinted at or built up before this. Maybe just a few scenes of him mouthing or looking like he's talking or listening to someone before this reveal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

well holy loving poo poo..

one question though: what happend to nina? did she run away? frenchie said she's "gone" and makes it sound like she won't be bothering them anymore. but if she's still alive, i don't see how that's a possibility considering she's a fricken' mob boss. unless those two goons she had were the only employees she had.

She did run away lmao

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I definitely think the blackouts are genuine, just not sure whether Soldier Boy is genuinely remorseful for his actions during them, or using them as an excuse. I hope it's the former because that makes him much more interesting and that does seem to be how Ackles is portraying them.

Pirate Jet posted:

It doesn’t really matter whether or not Soldier Boy is a “better person” than Homelander because the environment he’d create as being the world’s premier supe instead would be functionally the same. He’s still a mega powered violent man with regressive values that would shape the world into his preferred image whether by force or by example - you could probably even argue that on a long enough timeline, Soldier Boy would just become Homelander.

This is why Starlight and MM are right to just call Homelander, Vought and supes in general out - it might lead to greater problems now sure, but the whole system needs to come down to make things actually better in the long run.

Ironically Hugie and Butcher, despite believing the opposite, are still working within the system. Homelander the individual is the issue, not the environment that spawned him. It's why, ultimately, they will fail to make things better.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Chamale posted:

That whole fight scene was loving terrible. After all this buildup of Homelander supposedly being a terrifying unstoppable demon, it turns out that Temp-V made Butcher and Hughie capable of trading blows with him. It took more people to stomp on Stormfront. We know that Homelander is strong enough to throw people into orbit or through stone walls, but instead we got boring superhero fisticuffs between him and Soldier Boy.

Rest of the episode was great, especially A-Train's apology and Annie's speech.

i liked everyone ganging up against homelander but yeah i agree the fight itself, as far as the choreography and use of powers was itself very unimpressive. guess they spent most of their VFX money on that dick episode

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Two minor bits I really liked:
The Cherie and Kimiko was wonderfully brutal and non-cheesecakey. Just great, messy brawling. Compare that to anything Black Widow does, where she's always posing like its a fashion shoot (gently caress you Whedon)

And Ashley yanking her hair out while berating A-Train and blurring the line between her being horribly stressed and getting a sexual thrill out of exerting her power, especially that little exhausted smirk she does at the end. God she's such a loving cockroach and I love her.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I'm guessing Herogasm is even worse in the comic

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

BurritoJustice posted:

Claudia Doumit (Neumann) and Jack Quaid (Hughie) are dating in real life, that explains their bagel sharing chemistry.

I enjoyed Neumann maneouvering this time to try and pass education reform, of all things. This episode had so many ancillary scenes that were absolutely top notch. MM explaining the trauma behind his OCD hit like a truck (or a thrown Mercedes Benz).

That explains a few things. Right up until the alley scene I thought we were gonna get a Hughie falls for another woman plotline.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SpaceCommie posted:

This is why Starlight and MM are right to just call Homelander, Vought and supes in general out - it might lead to greater problems now sure, but the whole system needs to come down to make things actually better in the long run.

Ironically Hugie and Butcher, despite believing the opposite, are still working within the system. Homelander the individual is the issue, not the environment that spawned him. It's why, ultimately, they will fail to make things better.

I think both sides are right in this case. As the audience we know, Homelander the guy needs to be taken out and no one else as a viable plan to do so, but Butcher's blunt instrument tactics don't really have a place in the world outside of taking care of this one very specific problem. Annie's rejection of Vought doesn't have a solution to Homelander but as was shown with Neuman trying to horsetrade with her is going to be how they try to build a better society after he's gone. They might not agree with each other but it's a diversity of tactics that will probably compliment each other in the end. Hughie kind of muddles it, because he's very clearly doing the right thing for the wrong reasons and using temp V as a way of reasserting his masculinity but that's characterisation for you!

I'm almost positive the story will conclude along similar lines to the comic now too, after Homelander's dead Butcher will have fufilled his purpose but moved on to 'and now we kill the rest of the supes' and that's when he'll have to be put down

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alan Smithee posted:

So I'm guessing Herogasm is even worse in the comic

Black Noir rapes Hughie.

There's a reason I tell people not to read the comics.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Black Noir rapes Hughie.

There's a reason I tell people not to read the comics.

:stare:

No Dignity posted:

I think Soldier Boy is meant to be representative of the America of his era. He's a callous, violent rear end in a top hat but there's still a grounding human element to him. Like even from his incidental dialogue you can see he still thinks of himself as part of a society and not completely above it, he actually believed that the Mujahadeen were his guys and supported in their cause. It's a fun bit of storytelling, having the hero of the 20th century being this greatest generation thug who believed in capitalism and the american way going over to the hero of the 21st century being a pure product of capitalism who believes in nothing but himself and his own image

i'm actually wondering if any of the later rambo movies address the brave mujahadeen fighters

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just finished the episode. They sure oversold this Herogasm stuff in all the PR material.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

everydayfalls posted:

But his casual cruelty across the series leaves me unwilling to buy that his childhood trauma is driving him. [/spoiler]

I don't want to be rude but 100% of homelander backstory scenes are how his childhood broke his brain.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Christ, that fight was a loving cocktease - a literal appetizer for the main course. Soldier Boy should've been ~chargin' his laz0r~ well in advance.

tbf he was probably on cooldown

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wild prediction: season's going to end with Maeve getting Homelander in a full nelson and Soldier Boy blasting both of them

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Dude literally refers to his childhood as "the bad room".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

No Dignity posted:

Wild prediction: season's going to end with Maeve getting Homelander in a full nelson and Soldier Boy blasting both of them

So next season is the team looking for the Dragon Balls to revive her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chemtrailologist posted:

Please end the Frenchie storyline immediately. I don't care if they have to kill everyone involved in the worst way possible.

Nina was killed after attending herogasm