Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Upgraded Alice feels like a Carolyn card, she is easy ways to take horror from fellow investigators and a dearth of ways to get clues at high level. Finally, the psychiatrist/detective team up of the 2000s arrives to 1925!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzzmD_e46s

That's the stream. I haven't been able to watch it myself (still at work) but I've been reading comments about it from the Discord. Apparently MJ didn't totally exclude a Return to the Dream-Eaters, she just said it wasn't in the pipeline right now because their focus is on the repackaged cycles.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
drat that Luxley is so good for Caroline. Lvl 0 already was imo, but this is something else.

Dragon Pole lvl 3 falls in that weird area a lot of low XP weapons (usually 1 or 2 XP cost, sometimes 3) fall into where a lot of their text is certainly very good, but they don't get the +2 damage so they end up barely played. .45 automatic (2) is another example here. Basically if you are going to spend XP on a weapon, it's usually because the weapon is a primary focus of your deck, so why settle for something that's pretty good when you can spend an extra couple of points and take something great instead?

That said, it might be good purely for the 2 arcane slots granted by a single card and we should think of that as the primary function, and being able to hit dudes with stick as additional benefit.

In general though, the big question with the low XP (excluding 0xp) weapons is, who are they for, exactly?

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 23, 2022

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For Lola :tinfoil:

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/32024/the-legendary-11-combat-dragon-pole-1.0

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Kalko posted:

Oh, and one other tidbit of information was that apparently someone suggested a low XP Chuck Fergus at the start of the stream and MJ responded with "Hmm, what an interesting idea..."

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1539003589548462081?cxt=HHwWgsCy8Yrn0dsqAAAA

Guess that explains this tweet

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well now you can do that deck with 10 less experience and 6 free deck slots and only give up a couple of arcane slots.

I don't know if that will make it any good, but it'll certainly be better.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 23, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

drat that Luxley is so good for Caroline. Lvl 0 already was imo, but this is something else.

Dragon Pole lvl 3 falls in that weird area a lot of low XP weapons (usually 1 or 2 XP cost, sometimes 3) fall into where a lot of their text is certainly very good, but they don't get the +2 damage so they end up barely played. .45 automatic (2) is another example here. Basically if you are going to spend XP on a weapon, it's usually because the weapon is a primary focus of your deck, so why settle for something that's pretty good when you can spend an extra couple of points and take something great instead?

That said, it might be good purely for the 2 arcane slots granted by a single card and we should think of that as the primary function, and being able to hit dudes with stick as additional benefit.

In general though, the big question with the low XP (excluding 0xp) weapons is, who are they for, exactly?

Unlimited +1 damage on a melee weapon is already strong imo. Survivors only got access to that in EotE and Rogues still don't. In comparison fight spells for Mystics have limited charges and all have ways they can backfire with the wrong draw. This card is unlimited, gives you card draw and fills up its own slots with no downside. And only 3XP. I think for Mystics this card is definitely a good option unless you need the hand slots or really need the action compression and extra damage of big spells in spite of the risks.

It doesn't do as much damage as Guardians big guns, but those use ammo that you need to dedicate cards to work around. So I still think it competes. For Guardian the best comparison would be Holy Spear which is more expensive XP-wise and has a +2 damage attack and again you need to dedicate cards for the bless mechanic to get that. And this version of Dragon Pole can get to +4 on every attack easily which is really strong. Just throw in Enchanted Weapon or some big damage events for when you need more damage.

I mean its not as strong as Cyclopean Hammer but thats just stupidly busted, lol.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 23, 2022

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Upgraded Dragon Pole seems great in Close the Circle Akachi, replaces Sign Magick which takes forever to set up, plus 3 str is enough of a base to actually fight with the Pole.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Unlimited +1 damage on a melee weapon is already strong imo. Survivors only got access to that in EotE and Rogues still don't. In comparison fight spells for Mystics have limited charges and all have ways they can backfire with the wrong draw. This card is unlimited, gives you card draw and fills up its own slots with no downside. And only 3XP. I think for Mystics this card is definitely a good option unless you need the hand slots or really need the action compression and extra damage of big spells in spite of the risks.

It doesn't do as much damage as Guardians big guns, but those use ammo that you need to dedicate cards to work around. So I still think it competes. For Guardian the best comparison would be Holy Spear which is more expensive XP-wise and has a +2 damage attack and again you need to dedicate cards for the bless mechanic to get that. And this version of Dragon Pole can get to +4 on every attack easily which is really strong. Just throw in Enchanted Weapon or some big damage events for when you need more damage.

I mean its not as strong as Cyclopean Hammer but thats just stupidly busted, lol.

Sure, but if you are going to rely on Dragon Pole for your enemy handling needs, how are you going to ensure you will draw it? For Guardians they can use their usual Prepared for the Worst on a Stick to the Plan, but begging the question why not bring a big gun and some ammo too? (also discounting Cyclopean Hammer cus uhh, yeah). For Mystics, though, while spells might have downsides, you can draw them at least somewhat reliably, but a weapon? You're probably not even packing enough items and supplies to make backpack (2) worthwhile.

I can see it as a bit of flex in a clue-oriented Mystic to be able to do their part against bosses and knock some small enemies around if needed. Which is probably the best place the small xp weapons fit into anyway.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Sure, but if you are going to rely on Dragon Pole for your enemy handling needs, how are you going to ensure you will draw it? For Guardians they can use their usual Prepared for the Worst on a Stick to the Plan, but begging the question why not bring a big gun and some ammo too? (also discounting Cyclopean Hammer cus uhh, yeah). For Mystics, though, while spells might have downsides, you can draw them at least somewhat reliably, but a weapon? You're probably not even packing enough items and supplies to make backpack (2) worthwhile.

I can see it as a bit of flex in a clue-oriented Mystic to be able to do their part against bosses and knock some small enemies around if needed. Which is probably the best place the small xp weapons fit into anyway.

Lily can play PFTW, Akachi is fine rolling with whatever other fight/evade assets she drew until she finds the Pole which opens her up. Not sure other Mystics would care for an upgraded Pole.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

The eternal problem of the Mystic, I think. You never can really rely on drawing exactly what you need (which is why I always go flex) but its not a super big deal. You just put a Shrivelling in as well and then you can fight if you get either one. If you upgrade it you can have a nice reliable 2 damage weapon and a 3 damage spell. Personally, I prefer unlimited melee weapons over guns that you have to worry about having enough ammo with. Theres nothing worst than wasting half a guns ammo on bad token draws and realising that you're hosed. But thats a taste thing. In general I think its a good weapon option that opens up some new build-space.

Also saw some speculation that you could use the pole to remove weaknesses. I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to look at the card you're taking from the top of your deck before putting it facedown but if you knew what it was you could keep it there the whole game by intentionally never cycling it into your hand.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Lily can play PFTW, Akachi is fine rolling with whatever other fight/evade assets she drew until she finds the Pole which opens her up. Not sure other Mystics would care for an upgraded Pole.

Jim, Diana and Dexter also have 3 Fist. It's actually really surprising to think that almost half of Mystics have 3 or more.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

An upgraded Dragon pole at least gives Lily a reason to play it. And trapping your deck face down i very helpful if you have multiple weaknesses, like she gets.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 24, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

This just in: spoiler season has begun!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Agent Banks is tugging the guy off the ladder

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh he's tugging the guy off alright.

That card seems pretty meh. Putting down clues generally isn't what you want to do and it's not like the yellow card pool has no other options for card draw.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's lots of cards and no weakness triggers.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It's possible that one of the new investigators has some synergy with clues on locations, too, like Darrell Simmons, who everyone is expecting will be Survivor 5/Seeker 2.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

It's lots of cards and no weakness triggers.

It costs a lot of tempo though. Putting 2 clues on location nets you 3 cards for 1 resource plus at least 2 actions and a test. Plenty of times 3 actions and 2 tests. That's just not good.

Where it gets good is scenarios where you don't need to have the clues. Sometimes you just need to take clues off to trigger something and then it doesn't matter if clues go back on. Or you need clues for act 1 and then not anymore.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 24, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Now this is a good card. Some nice action compression with Lockpicks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

That card is amazing for Finn. Good for most other Rogues, but amazing for Finn. Hope we see some more cards that do something based on the Illicit trait also. This might be the 2nd best Rogue lvl 0 economy card after Faustian Bargain.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 24, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Fun for any Rita weapon or item. Backpack, 'hammer...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Should work extremely well with Burglary.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Not sure if this is good, but it is pretty sweet:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dual wielding shields! Or forever discarding one by playing the other!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Compared to Leather Coat it takes up a much more valuable slot and you have to jump through hoops to play it in exchange for a single more health soak. So just off of that it seems very bad.

Possibly viable in Ashcan Pete cus he doesn't value his handslots as highly plus he can discard cards easily. Wendy also at least gets a benefit from discarding a card but still doesn't seem good. Patrice gets this in the discard pile easily and does have a weakness that can do a lot of damage, though I'm also not convinced here. Seekers and some Mystics have low health and might want it for that reason but Seekers need their handslots and while Mystics don't, Agnes would need to combine this with Cornered to be able to discard. Seems like a real long way to go.

Total nonbo with Backpack to the point where I don't think you could ever play both these cards in the same deck. This really sucks particularly for Daniela.

Curious to see if the Armor and/or Improvised traits are going to matter in this set. Would be good in a new investigator who has a discard ability and doesn't care about his handslots for some reason.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 26, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

More money for Tommy, if he wants to build into Survivor. Also super good for soak Calvin, am I Megan so he doesn’t 100% require dual healing allies.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
It is easier to find and play with Short Supply.

Shuffling back in if you have an easy way to discard it later is also good if you have awful weaknesses or otherwise don't always want to go through your deck as fast as possible.

The armor trait lets you play it for free with Bruiser. All of the triple class resource cards are great, additional support for them is welcome.

I really like the card. It isn't for every deck but at this point in Arkham's life we don't need generically good cards anymore.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Worth noting that the forced ability only triggers on defeat, so if you're running a scavenger build to do something like recur icepicks or flashlights or whatever, overwriting the shield pops it back to discard to be played again, skipping the shuffle to deck

You can essentially keep using it for 2 soak and keep cycling it as long as you want

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

postmodifier posted:

Worth noting that the forced ability only triggers on defeat, so if you're running a scavenger build to do something like recur icepicks or flashlights or whatever, overwriting the shield pops it back to discard to be played again, skipping the shuffle to deck

You can essentially keep using it for 2 soak and keep cycling it as long as you want

To be fair though you can also do that with leather jacket in scavenger without the overwriting equips fussiness.

I’m guessing the traits will interact with the new survivor in a way that adds value.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The challenge isn’t “find a way to make this card useful” but “find a way to make this card better than Leather Coat”.

Also Tommy does not get money when this card is shuffled back in his deck.Forced triggers before his reaction.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 26, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Leather coat is frustrating if you want to get your backpack out. For a buck, it’s one of the cheapest soaps in the game, so if you’re getting hit a lot or suffering damage for the team, it could be useful.

Situationly useful is perfect for a one cost level zero card.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Also Tommy does not get money when this card is shuffled back in his deck.Forced triggers before his reaction.

The Forced ability does trigger before his reaction, but that ability doesn't actually shuffle the card into the deck at that time - it just changes how the card is going to discard. Then Tommy's ability triggers and shuffles the card in before the card gets to the point where it would normally discard.

Compare Guardian Spirit, which doesn't work with Tommy because the Forced ability exiles the card immediately.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It says to shuffle it in your deck as a forced effect. That resolves in its entirety before a reaction has a chance to do something I am pretty sure.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Fire Axe, Improvised Shield, Backpack/Fine Clothes, Short Supply, and Bruiser all go really well together. You can also play a backpack while wearing a backpack to drop its contents into your discard pile, something I've done with Scavenging (2) builds to save actions.

If I'm making a monster slaying survivor armed with a fire axe the hand slot isn't a big deal.

Fine Clothes are underrated. Parlays come up a lot and Fine Clothes completely trivialize those checks.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Not spoiler related, but been getting back into the game after a few years and just discovered the bless/curse engine. Takes a while to get online but it's absolutely hilarious.

Charisma, get Peter Sylvestre and Jessica Hyde online.

2x Spirit of Humanity now adds two bless and two curse to the bag while healing 1 damage/horror per turn.

Combine with Eye of the Djinn, Ancient Covenant, and Favor of the Sun/Moon... :monacle:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

Fine Clothes are underrated. Parlays come up a lot and Fine Clothes completely trivialize those checks.

I tend to only wear them when I'm attending a certain party but I do sometimes wish I had them in other games. I guess a Short Supply/Scavenging build can afford to run one copy in the mix for a situational boost?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In our most recent campaign a player took them after being frustrated by not having them in a few scenarios, and that marked the point that we more or less never saw a human character again.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I wish there were more player cards that had parley actions on them. It would be cool to build a deck around it.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
So, Daisy "Sling-Ring" Walker is in good shape, but along the way I decided to add another dumbass gimmick to it so uh, here is the inaugural launch of what I am calling

"In the thick (and thin) of it"

or

"Zoey Samaras could eat no fat, Daisy Walker could eat no lean, and so between them both, you see, Bob licked the platter clean"

By end of scenario one, daisy is pushing 70 cards and Zoey is around 20, once again I must reiterate that this is the most fun I've ever had with this game and I've just been testing them two-handed without building the Bob deck yet, so that is gonna be ridiculous

Also once he's in it will be my first time three-handing, so if anyone has done that before and has tips, that'd be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For those of us new to the game, can you please pitch the basic premise of each deck?