Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Never let me down, tonight, David Bowie, black tie white noise, and hours are the only ones I would say are just straight up bad. There are others that I don’t like personally (earthling, scary monsters, young Americans) but I know im probably the only person alive who doesn’t love those three so they obviously are not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Never let me down, tonight, David Bowie, black tie white noise, and hours are the only ones I would say are just straight up bad. There are others that I don’t like personally (earthling, scary monsters, young Americans) but I know im probably the only person alive who doesn’t love those three so they obviously are not bad.

Hours is great. And I’m not going to get started on scary monsters, that’s just trolling.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Scary Monsters is a top-5 Bowie album wtf

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hot Diggity! posted:

Scary Monsters is a top-5 Bowie album wtf

Might just be a top 5 album period

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It has two songs that I love and a couple that I absolutely hate. I don’t think I’ve ever made it through the first song on the album without skipping it

Again I’m fully aware nobody else feels that way haha. I think most of my Bowie opinions are pretty reasonable otherwise.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I don’t think I’ve ever made it through the first song on the album without skipping it

:blastu:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If it's Bowie confession time, I don't care for Low.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Better to keep quiet, etc etc

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Honestly, of that bunch, only Tonight is really bad.

NLMD has a lot of really good songs and I thought it was a good listen throughout, both in it's original and reworked version. BTWN has some pretty good songs, it just was too long and could have had some tracks shaved off. Hours had Thursday's Child, and that alone is enough for me. There are some other good stuff on there, like the Pretty Things Are Going to Hell and Seven. It is just a bit of a middling affair overall.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My favorites are station to station, low, heroes, hunky dory, and blackstar. Ziggy, just dance, and diamond dogs just on the outside looking in

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The live album Welcome To The Blackout is extremely amazing

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

????????????????

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
What’s my favourite Bowie album? Tough one. I think I’d have to say The Best of David Bowie.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Creature posted:

What’s my favourite Bowie album? Tough one. I think I’d have to say The Best of David Bowie.

That would actually be one I throw in the trash cause I never need to hear changes or rebel rebel ever again. Rebel rebel was particularly ruined by the History of Howard Stern thing on Sirius 20 years ago.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's right there in the title though

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
For non-Bowie chat I saw Belle & Sebastian last weekend and it was really fun. Stuart tried to climb the rail at the end but had trouble and the security had to catch him. He was holding his shoulder after but finished the show. Everyone in the audience instantly felt old.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

BigFactory posted:

For non-Bowie chat I saw Belle & Sebastian last weekend and it was really fun. Stuart tried to climb the rail at the end but had trouble and the security had to catch him. He was holding his shoulder after but finished the show. Everyone in the audience instantly felt old.

B&S are one of the few bands who I’ll try to see as often as possible. They’re so consistently great live and Stuart always gives it his all. Last time I saw them was at the Sydney Opera House in 2018 where they covered 'Rip It Up' with Robert Forster. Indie as gently caress.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbFBqQJR4rk

Day Wave’s new album is out, Past Life

Seems a bit more dreary throughout, but I’m still checking it out. Really digging the song above

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Only have had the chance to listen to side A but the soccer mommy album is great so far

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I dunno if this is exactly the right thread for it, but I'm super enjoying the new Muna album.
Edit: ^^^ Soccer Mommy is also very very good

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 25, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Only have had the chance to listen to side A but the soccer mommy album is great so far

i'm glad she's got a new album out cos i like her and i'm going to see her in a couple months but there's been a feeling of needing a little more good stuff before i would really get amped for the show

so i'm looking forward to getting into this in a couple days, no idea what to expect.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Man, that newish Father John Misty record is really boring.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Finished the soccer mother album and yeah it’s fantastic. The vocals are really low in the mix and it’s a big contrast to the last album, maybe not to everyone’s liking if you enjoy how up front they were on color theory but definitely a great listen. Track two has almost a Ok computer vibe to it, reminds me of the poppier songs like subterranean alien or let down.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
It’s always interesting seeing how big a band’s fan base actually is based on venue sell outs. I would never have guessed that Cigarettes After Sex could sell out two nights at the 9:30 Club in DC pretty much instantly, but they did. For reference, Spoon recently did a two-night stint there but only sold out the first

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I love perusing YouTube comments

“I didn’t even know this many people knew about this band! Y’all wanna be friends?!”

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Man, that newish Father John Misty record is really boring.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I Love You Honeybear is a 8.5/10 record at worst, it's very good. God's Favourite Customer was good too. Rest of it is pretty boring.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Pure Comedy is great.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I love you honeybear is one of my favorite albums of all time (like top 50/100-ish?), I listen to Bored in the USA every week just about because I love that song, but goddamn do I literally not care about anything else he’s done

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I think all of his albums were good up until this new one. Few good tunes, but overall forgettable.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
New Dungen, my friends! https://dungen.bandcamp.com/album/en-r-f-r-mycket-och-tusen-aldrig-nog

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Apparently new Broken Bells is on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hyDWVyjuxU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiEFeTuof8

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

Apparently new Broken Bells is on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hyDWVyjuxU

Was there an announcement that Postal Service was working on something new? Or did I just dream that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

She's fantastic

been listening to more of her and I agree but I wish that song was on an LP so I could buy it - and I wish it wasn't her best song.

that said she has a ton of absolutely lovely stuff. I tend to not have much of an idea of how popular stuff actually is, do ppl in this thread know this lady already? singer/songwriter but she plays crunchy electric guitar jams instead of wimpy acoustic stuff. with a really unique voice. like bjork and nirvana had a baby. or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJejr2kMbIM

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Walrus posted:

been listening to more of her and I agree but I wish that song was on an LP so I could buy it - and I wish it wasn't her best song.

that said she has a ton of absolutely lovely stuff. I tend to not have much of an idea of how popular stuff actually is, do ppl in this thread know this lady already? singer/songwriter but she plays crunchy electric guitar jams instead of wimpy acoustic stuff. with a really unique voice. like bjork and nirvana had a baby. or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJejr2kMbIM

She was apparently recruited by one of the One Direction guys for a girl group he was producing, but she turned him down wanting to be able to make her own way.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Was there an announcement that Postal Service was working on something new? Or did I just dream that.

Hadn't heard anything of the sort but I would love to see it!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

https://youtu.be/wGF7PswOENQ

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

https://youtu.be/N5kd-JIVCgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
both at osheaga this year