Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Until You Fall I think perfectly captures the fun and thrill of VR while being relatively simple and approachable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Until You Fall I think perfectly captures the fun and thrill of VR while being relatively simple and approachable.

How playable is it in single?
Fun but short seems to be a common description among VR games.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
superhot assumes you have a huge fuggin space to play in and has no locomotion so gently caress that game

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

superhot assumes you have a huge fuggin space to play in and has no locomotion so gently caress that game

Yeah I have a small area and a bunch of times it wanted me to reach through a wall or under a desk to actually be able to grab a gun

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 23, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Piell posted:

Yeah I have a small area and a bunch of times it wanted me to reach through a wall or under a desk to actually be able to grab a gun

you can grab stuff from a distance, just point your hand towards it and it will highlight when it's grabbable

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm messing with VR stuff again for the first time in awhile. I have a quest 1 and have been using oculus link (via usb) + steam vr, mainly just to play games that I can play while sitting. I couldn't find a good answer easily with search so I was wondering if anyone in here would know:

I'm playing on PC, sitting, facing forward. Sometimes when I load up games, the view is rotated 90 degrees, as if I had started the game while facing to my right, so facing forward what I initially see is what I should see if I turned to my left. Resetting the view fixes this usually until a screen or environment transition happens. Any ideas?

edit: I figured out that it seems like resetting the view doesn't set things on a quest level so exiting and reentering quest link works if nothing else does.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 23, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OgNar posted:

How playable is it in single?
Fun but short seems to be a common description among VR games.

Huh? Single what?

It's good fun. Good exercise. I've been playing it nightly, for exercise.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Agreed 1000%

Games good. Captures VR very well. Is playable with moderate space.

forest spirit posted:

yeah not as a first thing for Nana but most people can hack the shooting range/sandbox after they've played something else for 10 minutes. The headbobbing isn't huuuuge and you have a slowmo which in my experience people just hold the gently caress down forever.

Gonna disagree with you and assume your sample size of people is a handful of gamers.

I still get sick from that lovely mess of a "game". its a tech demo at best.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sleepy gary posted:

I bought superhot in the current sale going on and I am disappointed how short the game is. I realize you can keep playing the different modes after finishing but I thought there would be more to it. That said, it is fun and I enjoyed it, but I wish it was more like $10 rather than the $20 I spent on it.

If you enjoy the concept you can get a lot of mileage out of the 5 endless mode levels

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Huge? I completed it in an area a few feet square. Most areas are do-able from the point you spawn in, and in the larger ones you automatically teleport at certain points. The game is all about being economical with your movement, running around all over the place just gives the enemies more chance to get you.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Skyrim VR $14.69 at Gamebillet

https://www.gamebillet.com/skyrim-vr

Fallout 4 VR at $11.39
On the edge about this, hear its janky af but depends on the mods

https://www.gamebillet.com/fallout-4-vr

Both on sale for like 14 days, to see if any better prices pop up.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 23, 2022

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

OgNar posted:

Fallout 4 VR at $11.39
On the edge about this, hear its janky af but depends on the mods

Definitely true, but I had a blast with it after throwing a heap of mods at it (mostly the same mods I used for the pancake version). I've played it for 300+ hours in VR and really enjoyed just doing random excursions to random enemy strongholds and killing everything with random weapons and watching gibs go flying in random directions. Especially using a spawn mulitiplier mod and tossing grenades at a horde of ghouls is just great in VR. And killing yourself with your own grenade because throwing is jank in VR is also equally fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

isnt non-VR skyrim the one you want for VR modding, ironically?

Or do I have that wrong

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Gonna disagree with you and assume your sample size of people is a handful of gamers.

I still get sick from that lovely mess of a "game". its a tech demo at best.

I think it comes down to what you expect from it and your tolerance for IK jank and head bob. I personally loved the game, but I can see why people don't like it. The good gunplay covers a lot of its sins for me, personally.

The reception may have been a bit different if it came out after ALYX, but since it came out before, it was the only game of its kind for a bit, really

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

isnt non-VR skyrim the one you want for VR modding, ironically?

Or do I have that wrong

I hadnt heard that.
I'll have to look it up before buying.

e: This sounds to me like Skyrim VR is used.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/qpkdqc/for_modding_start_here/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 23, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah dont quote me on that, I might be (probably am) wrong

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VR Skyrim is the one you want

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I might be (probably am) wrong

Called it :smugdog:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
How Skyrim VR is a pain in the rear end to mod

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Walrus posted:

If you enjoy the concept you can get a lot of mileage out of the 5 endless mode levels

Back when I had the CV1/Rift S and could better throw poo poo, I loved the level with the pool table and got really good at shotputting pool balls at guys' heads. I could kill the first five guys with pinpoint pool ball headshots almost every time.

How Skyrim VR is a pain in the rear end to mod

No more than regular Skyrim. Maybe even less so because you really want to go barebones with VR mods, and there's like ten or fewer mods that you really "need". :shrug:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 23, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In case you're looking for a VR fitness thing, I've been playing X-Booster lately and it's working out quite well for me. It's pretty much just a more intensive Beat Sabre, but it's doing that quite well. The main thing that sets it apart is that it lets you upload your own mp3s and use those, which is the main thing that keeps me playing it instead of the competitors. Also it's surprisingly good at tricking you into doing squats.

boloney
May 29, 2021

King Vidiot posted:

No more than regular Skyrim. Maybe even less so because you really want to go barebones with VR mods, and there's like ten or fewer mods that you really "need". :shrug:

I just bought it - do you have that list of mods handy?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

boloney posted:

Yeah, same. Wabbajack seems like a lot, I just want to try it with plaank and other base functionality mods

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

boloney posted:

Yeah, same. Wabbajack seems like a lot, I just want to try it with plaank and other base functionality mods

I haven't tried it myself yet, but last time the topic came up people were pointing towards this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/qpkdqc/for_modding_start_here/

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh? Single what?

It's good fun. Good exercise. I've been playing it nightly, for exercise.

Think there's some confusion with Until you Fall and After the Fall

Is Until you Fall any different on Steam rather than native on Q2? Like do the levels work differently as not being small little zones? Or is it pretty much the same?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

As somebody's introduction to VR, have them ride the cart in the opening scene of Skyrim

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Perestroika posted:

I haven't tried it myself yet, but last time the topic came up people were pointing towards this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/qpkdqc/for_modding_start_here/

wabbajack is the opposite of a lot. It pretty much just self-installs

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I bought Scanner Sombre on the steam sale and it's kinda neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFlo9FEfaY

It wasn't designed with VR in mind, was added later, so there's no height adjust (i started out taller than the tent) and theres no way to change controls. The VR controls are kind of a mess. On quest its the left controller to turn and the X button to teleport a fixed distance. The right controller aims the scanner and the trigger scans, stick changes beam focus. It works but it's not ideal.

Still, it's on sale for $1.20 and for that price it's just fine. Heard it was about an hour or so long but like I said, $1.20

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cutedge posted:

Think there's some confusion with Until you Fall and After the Fall

Is Until you Fall any different on Steam rather than native on Q2? Like do the levels work differently as not being small little zones? Or is it pretty much the same?

I've only played it on Steam, where the levels are small little zones.

boloney
May 29, 2021

wabbajack is the opposite of a lot. It pretty much just self-installs

The Wabbajack recommended 'barebones' Skyrim VR mod pack is 96 mods and you have to manually click Download for every single one unless you buy a Nexus premium membership

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Overbite posted:

I bought Scanner Sombre on the steam sale and it's kinda neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NFlo9FEfaY

It wasn't designed with VR in mind, was added later, so there's no height adjust (i started out taller than the tent) and theres no way to change controls. The VR controls are kind of a mess. On quest its the left controller to turn and the X button to teleport a fixed distance. The right controller aims the scanner and the trigger scans, stick changes beam focus. It works but it's not ideal.

Still, it's on sale for $1.20 and for that price it's just fine. Heard it was about an hour or so long but like I said, $1.20

I think I got to the very end of the game and it bugged out and soft locked me from finishing. It was interesting though!

I started the RE2 remake in VR tonight. Holy moly this is fun.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ahhh, nothing beats spending the day installing Bethesda mods only for something to not be working.
Today its FO4 and the pipboy shows no inventory and I have a weird black thing along the landscape, almost like in the shape of the mountains in the background, but instead of staying there, the outline moves with my vision.

Otherwise FO4 VR looks good.
Did haul in a lot of Steam VR games today though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

boloney posted:

The Wabbajack recommended 'barebones' Skyrim VR mod pack is 96 mods and you have to manually click Download for every single one unless you buy a Nexus premium membership

What do you think normal modding is like

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Professor Wayne posted:

Superhot is on my list for first timers for sure.

I put my friend in Super Hot for his first ever vr experience and as soon as someone pulled a gun on him he fell to the floor and started rolling around laugh screaming until he died, restarted and did it twice more

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

KakerMix posted:

Steam Workshop has spoiled a generation

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

in 2022, it's either just clicking a bunch of poo poo on steam and then launching the game, or using your favourite minecraft launcher to download a pack of 150+ mods

bethesda games are probably the only thing still stuck in 90s modding

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I played a bunch of fallout VR using wabbajak and a nexus premium account for one month. Definitely worth it, it's really cool and fun, for me it was worth the money.

The steam sale has some good VR deals, alyx is available for 25 bux. Is that a good price and is it worth it for the maybe 6 hours it's supposed to be long?

boloney
May 29, 2021
^ IMHO, Alyx is the best VR game currently available and is absolutely worth that price. I'd say it's longer than 6 hours, too. Steam says I have 11.5 hours in it.

KakerMix posted:

I'm aware of what "normal" modding is like, thanks. My post was specifically addressed to the part that says "it installs itself" which is comically false

boloney fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 24, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Alyx is much longer than 6 hours, it's a pretty good sized game. About as long as Last of Us 1 maybe.

Worth playing on hard first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Son of Rodney posted:

The steam sale has some good VR deals, alyx is available for 25 bux. Is that a good price and is it worth it for the maybe 6 hours it's supposed to be long?

It's so loving good, like probably the most polished VR experience you can get, so yeah it's worth it. Plus there's some neat levels for it in the Steam Workshop to extend the playtime by a little.