Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is a commons VONC even possible anymore? I thought that the fixed term parliament act was over turned so Emperor Boris had as long as he liked in power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Yinlock posted:

The former has actual material concerns, and the latter has

She has actual material concerns. They just happen to be electro shock therapy

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

notaspy posted:

Is a commons VONC even possible anymore? I thought that the fixed term parliament act was over turned so Emperor Boris had as long as he liked in power?

Sure it is, but it’ll never happen because it’d be Tory MPs voting for an election a fair number of them will lose.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 24, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'd like to see Boris wriggle his way out of this one !!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1540244773109469189

the sex ghost posted:

Nevertheless...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

the sex ghost posted:

Like thumbing a plastic bin bag full of offal and custard through a storm drain. The "Teflon" man slips by once more

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

notaspy posted:

Commons VONC still can result in a new election if no-one else has the confidence of the house. It's just not the only way to call a early election anymore, when under FTPA it was.

Frankly whether Boris goes or stays matters little at the moment for the utter exhaustion of the Tories and their refusal to do anything to help the country.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Honestly the Tories keeping Boris on in their party VONC was the worst choice they could have made because he’s invincible for a year and I can’t see him ever voluntarily stepping down in disgrace and he’s gonna be dragging them down for the next 10 months or however long it is until a vote can be forced again. And the ones who called the VONC made a huge mistake calling it before these by-elections, would have done much better in the wake of this.

Wakefield was always gonna go back to Labour given the conditions that flipped it (the Brexit election) no longer apply and it’s been Labour for as long as I’ve been alive. That plus the way the public use by-elections to heap shame on incumbents, and that the Tory they did on one occasion choose to elect turned out to be a nonce.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ionewells/status/1540225916353249280

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"because of me"

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Noxville posted:

Sure it is, but it’ll never happen because it’d be Tory MPs voting for an election a fair number of them will lose.

This is also in reply to Nothingtoseehere but I don't know how to add him while on mobile.

VONCing Boris doesn't lead directly to an election as there is a period of time, or there was under the no defunct FTPA, for a new government to form. I agree that it will as the rebel half of the Tory party won't work with the rest of the house to form a new government and even if they did what would be their mandate? Overturn all the regressive poo poo? Lol.

And if they did work with the rest of the house I would fully expect Keith to be happy being a junior minister with all the sensibles agreeing as it puts him in the best position to become PM at the next election.

I was more wondering in theory if it could happen.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Noxville posted:

Honestly the Tories keeping Boris on in their party VONC was the worst choice they could have made because he’s invincible for a year and I can’t see him ever voluntarily stepping down in disgrace and he’s gonna be dragging them down for the next 10 months or however long it is until a vote can be forced again. And the ones who called the VONC made a huge mistake calling it before these by-elections, would have done much better in the wake of this.
IDK I think it's pretty funny that when the scandal du jour was merely "Boris partied while granny died" the Tories didn't give a poo poo but now it's "we lost two seats!" their heads are spinning round but Boris is indestructible.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I dare you to find an interview or even him spotted on day 1 of bad news for the tories.
He always hides.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1540241964498550785

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Noxville posted:

Wakefield was always gonna go back to Labour given the conditions that flipped it (the Brexit election) no longer apply and it’s been Labour for as long as I’ve been alive. That plus the way the public use by-elections to heap shame on incumbents, and that the Tory they did on one occasion choose to elect turned out to be a nonce.

I remember it being theorised that the VONC was actually instigated by Johnson's supporters so it would go off before his opponents had time to get all their ducks in a row and guarantee they had the numbers.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Starting to wonder if the ray of political light we're looking for is nothing to do with parties at all but the rivival of the unions.

Lot's of workers feeling emboldened by RMT this week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Electoralism is dead and big bald men in flat caps threw it in the river.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Electoralism is dead and big bald men in flat caps threw it in the river.

https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/1540236554337243136

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Double blow for Johnson :heysexy:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Could it be...journos start to realise that "I take full responsibility ' is just a vapid thought-terminating cliché ?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Back to Back Blows for Johnson: is End Coming for Head of UK?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1540262475936972800

:allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"morning swim in Rwanda" is not a euphemism then?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Could it be...journos start to realise that "I take full responsibility ' is just a vapid thought-terminating cliché ?
*walking out of a bank with a tommy gun and a big burlap bag with currency symbols* I take full responsibility for my actions and will be donating half of any profit I determine that I have made to charity *faces no further consequences* *is a tory mp* *the charity is run by my da*

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1540244745875759104?s=20&t=C2g-CIyQqwmS8gC9bvcjYA

If someone like Rentoul is saying this, than it's clear that knives are still out for Starmer

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kevino07 posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1540244745875759104?s=20&t=C2g-CIyQqwmS8gC9bvcjYA

If someone like Rentoul is saying this, than it's clear that knives are still out for Starmer

John thinks Tony Blair is the only hope.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The fangs are out for Starmer

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Failed Imagineer posted:

"morning swim in Rwanda" is not a euphemism then?

The lesser-known sequel to Holiday in Cambodia.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Zalakwe posted:

Starting to wonder if the ray of political light we're looking for is nothing to do with parties at all but the rivival of the unions.

Lot's of workers feeling emboldened by RMT this week.

it's moments like this when things break through just for a tiny second that you realise just how hard and how precariously capital is working behind the scenes to keep a lid on the whole thing

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Kevino07 posted:

i mean it was actually a good result for keith for once, so this is strong stephen kinnock in 2017 vibe tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The lesser-known sequel to Holiday in Cambodia.

Don't forget to pack a cuck your wife

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

it's moments like this when things break through just for a tiny second that you realise just how hard and how precariously capital is working behind the scenes to keep a lid on the whole thing
and just through the crack you can faintly hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXHUI6Gl1Q

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1540247842798829570?s=20&t=if0wxQ3brdutDvqGHjVCXA

"Keith is bad because I'm still living in a delusional world"

All the things to take issue with and you pick the one that isn't true, which is that these results likely would result in PM Keith in some form.

Edit: I'm just ignoring Starmer being poo poo for the day and focusing on what is important – cracking up at the Tories stumbling all over each other to make the situation worse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bustin keaton posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1540247842798829570?s=20&t=if0wxQ3brdutDvqGHjVCXA

All the things to take issue with and you pick the one that isn't true, which is that these results likely would result in PM Keith in some form.

Labour regaining the Red Wall would only return us to 2017 status quo. Tories swinging Lib Dem as well would only return us to 2010. It's going to take more than that to extract the Tories from Downing Street, and Starmer isn't offering it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it would be nice if both Boris and Keith got booted

i don't have much hope that we'd get anyone better but it's the least that needs to be done to make politics in the UK worth bothering with

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
PM Jacob Rees Mogg vs LOTO Lisa Nandy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah, CSPAM posters

https://i.imgur.com/mSfmE22.mp4

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 24, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

[timg]/fOLcwlp.mp4[/timg]

Hell yeah

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
loving

gently caress

loving BBCODE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

bustin keaton posted:

Edit: I'm just ignoring Starmer being poo poo for the day and focusing on what is important – cracking up at the Tories stumbling all over each other to make the situation worse.

i fuckin hate keith but if your immediate response to labour gaining a seat at a byelection for the first time in ten years and by double digits points is 'this is bad for keir' then you might have other motives than simply commenting on the situation