Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Wild prediction: season's going to end with Maeve getting Homelander in a full nelson and Soldier Boy blasting both of them

Homelander is Raditz, it all makes sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It’s not a good sign for Maeve’s future if they’re back loading her time in the season. Connotes a lot of death flags in the season ender. Especially with Homelander reminiscing about all the women who’ve abandoned him and listing her, when we know she hated him from the start.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

He's deliberately putting him into dangerous situations though, chasing down superpowered people to get into physical fights with them because he "has" to "protect" his girlfriend - a woman who isn't just one of the most powerful superhumans in the world but has spent her entire life training and working as a superhero -

Again the problem is while they want to sell us on the feminist narrative of the scene, and one I would agree with mind you- except he can literally trade punches with Homelander while on V24. And they've been working to kill him this entire season. She's even been on the scheme to murder Homelander. She's a murderer herself. I just feel like while they want to sell Hughie as doing something wrong when he's really not. His reasons might be wrong, but his bravery and desire to protect society and the people he cares about is genuine and the fundamental core of his actions. Like hypothetically if they manage to kill Homelander with simply the casualties that they have had since he started using V24, that'd be a heroic victory. Because an unhinged Homelander who takes his grief out on America can kill thousands if not millions of people. People caught up in collateral damage wouldn't agree but this is literally the trolley problem as far as it goes.

While we're supposed to be against Butcher's viewpoint and ability to sacrifice people, this is an extreme situation. If there truly was another, more peaceful way to salvage the situation they're in, I'd like to see it. Because I don't think that exists with Homelander's sword of damocles hanging in the air.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bussamove posted:

At this point I really hope the last shot of this season is Black Noir chilling on some beach somewhere sipping a margarita through a straw. Through his mask, in full costume, of course. Dude got out while he had a chance.

he's playing piano at a piano bar. The only thing that gives him joy

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Again the problem is while they want to sell us on the feminist narrative of the scene, and one I would agree with mind you- except he can literally trade punches with Homelander while on V24. And they've been working to kill him this entire season. She's even been on the scheme to murder Homelander. She's a murderer herself. I just feel like while they want to sell Hughie as doing something wrong when he's really not. His reasons might be wrong, but his bravery and desire to protect society and the people he cares about is genuine and the fundamental core of his actions. Like hypothetically if they manage to kill Homelander with simply the casualties that they have had since he started using V24, that'd be a heroic victory. Because an unhinged Homelander who takes his grief out on America can kill thousands if not millions of people. People caught up in collateral damage wouldn't agree but this is literally the trolley problem as far as it goes.

While we're supposed to be against Butcher's viewpoint and ability to sacrifice people, this is an extreme situation. If there truly was another, more peaceful way to salvage the situation they're in, I'd like to see it. Because I don't think that exists with Homelander's sword of damocles hanging in the air.

This all sort of reminds me of Netflix Daredevil where his friends/family were all mad at him for being Daredevil because it was dangerous and selfish but at the end of the day he like helps save the entire city 1-2 times.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

socialsecurity posted:

This all sort of reminds me of Netflix Daredevil where his friends/family were all mad at him for being Daredevil because it was dangerous and selfish but at the end of the day he like helps save the entire city 1-2 times.

This reminds me of Chi-Chi only wanting Gohan to study while there's a narcissistic bug man about to blow up the world

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Butcher and Hughie were right, it almost worked, but that's kinda missing the point, Annie is not willing to sacrifice innocent people for these fights, as soon as she learned what was about to go down she was only concerned with getting innovent (or sorta innocent) people away to safety, she's in the 'killing homelander is not worth it if you do the same sort of awful poo poo he does' mindset, and hey, she was right, because while Hughie and Butcher almost got Homelander they very much got a whole bunch of people killed.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they arent trying to make feminist commentary with hughie u absolute bumblebees, hes obviously traumatised by all the bad poo poo thats happened to him and the person he loves and how as a mere mortal hes constantly at risk and can do absolutely nothing to help the person who he cares deeply for yet keeps asking to be in harms way

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also god if you can't see that they are going for a 'the abyss stares back' type development with those two cmonnnnnnnn

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I know everybody fuckin' hates the Frenchie subplot, but the Kimiko scenes in the hospital (prior to the abduction) were some of the cutest poo poo this show has ever done.

At this point, I'm sincerely rooting for Starlight, MM, and Kimiko, and ironically rooting for Ashley, Neuman, and Deep's creepy wife.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

surf rock posted:

I know everybody fuckin' hates the Frenchie subplot, but the Kimiko scenes in the hospital (prior to the abduction) were some of the cutest poo poo this show has ever done.

At this point, I'm sincerely rooting for Starlight, MM, and Kimiko, and ironically rooting for Ashley, Neuman, and Deep's creepy wife.

:same:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I played on my phone for the first time while watching this show during the Frenchie scenes. I just couldn't care less about anything going on with those two. I'm assuming one of them dies (probably Frenchie) and this is just attempting to set up that emotional beat, but it's failed spectacularly for me. Or if they both live and happily rejoin The Boys then I really don't know what any of this was about.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The thing with Hughie, and kinda with Butcher, is that while his actions are justifiable, his motives behind them are dodgy as gently caress.

Yes, "we need to deal with Homelander asap, all other morality is secondary because this guy could kill millions" is a (possibly) defendable position. But that's not why Hughie is going off the deep end. He's using V24 and doing all these reckless deeds because he's tired of feeling weak and emasculated.

In S1/2 Hughie was much more sympathetic to Starlight and the danger she's in, but now he's motivated more by the fact that he can't do anything about it, rather than the fact that she's in danger. Look at all the scenes with #Homelight - he asks Starlight if she agreed to it ("hey babe, did you consent to this relationship with an all-powerful predator who defended the guy who raped you?") and then he complains about how Homelander was able to intimidate him and how he couldn't do anything about it. Keeping Starlight safe has gradually morphed into how HE must be the one to keep Starlight safe, which is really messed up. Caring and supportive Hughie is still in there, but he needs to be reminded to let him out.

It's a seriously great take on toxic masculinity, because we want to sympathise with this little dweeb, we can understand why he feels so powerless, and he's so close to doing the right thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sorry if this has been posted before but I thought it was important everyone see the real story behind that classic Soldier Boy war on drugs PSA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRSNlEHoLy4

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That was loving amazing,best episode yet.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I like the Kimiko and Frenchie subplot. It's fine to have a B plot to give the main plot some room to breath. Good televison actually.

Also, holy poo poo some of the takes on TheBoys subreddit is indistinguishable from the sarcastic bad TV watching here. One poster wondered if Deep's wife was telepathic and putting words on his mind and a bunch of people agreed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Thundercracker posted:

I like the Kimiko and Frenchie subplot. It's fine to have a B plot to give the main plot some room to breath. Good televison actually.

Also, holy poo poo some of the takes on TheBoys subreddit is indistinguishable from the sarcastic bad TV watching here. One poster wondered if Deep's wife was telepathic and putting words on his mind and a bunch of people agreed.

She's speaking with Timothy's voice.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

No Dignity posted:

I think both sides are right in this case. As the audience we know, Homelander the guy needs to be taken out and no one else as a viable plan to do so, but Butcher's blunt instrument tactics don't really have a place in the world outside of taking care of this one very specific problem. Annie's rejection of Vought doesn't have a solution to Homelander but as was shown with Neuman trying to horsetrade with her is going to be how they try to build a better society after he's gone. They might not agree with each other but it's a diversity of tactics that will probably compliment each other in the end. Hughie kind of muddles it, because he's very clearly doing the right thing for the wrong reasons and using temp V as a way of reasserting his masculinity but that's characterisation for you!

I'm almost positive the story will conclude along similar lines to the comic now too, after Homelander's dead Butcher will have fufilled his purpose but moved on to 'and now we kill the rest of the supes' and that's when he'll have to be put down

Agreed. Something needs to be done about Homelander and Soldier Boy has a pretty good chance of being able to do that. To be honest I feel like Annie wouldn't work with Neuman, my read on their meeting was that she sees Neuman as just another cog in the Vaught machine that needs to go. I do generally think that Hughie and Annie will end up back working together by the end of the series.

I hope the show has Butcher pull back from trying for supe genocide. All signs seem to point towards that being where the show is going to go, but part of me felt in his conversation with Maeve there wasn't quite the conviction in his "you all gotta go" speech. He's tired of being so angry all the time and losing everyone he cares about. But I'm probably just making that up because I want him to apologise to Ryan and be a good dad to him.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Butcher and Hughie were right, it almost worked, but that's kinda missing the point, Annie is not willing to sacrifice innocent people for these fights, as soon as she learned what was about to go down she was only concerned with getting innovent (or sorta innocent) people away to safety, she's in the 'killing homelander is not worth it if you do the same sort of awful poo poo he does' mindset, and hey, she was right, because while Hughie and Butcher almost got Homelander they very much got a whole bunch of people killed.

Hughie's powerset is also perfect for evacuation, he likely could have gotten everyone out safely if he wanted to (and they were all naked anyway so no need to worry about clothes) but he was more interested in getting to hurt Homelander.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Miss Broccoli posted:

I don't want to be rude but 100% of homelander backstory scenes are how his childhood broke his brain.

Seriously. It's fun to hate Homelander any enjoy Starr playing a sociopath, but it is also very clear that this is a guy who not only grew up without real love and parent figures but was literally tortured throughout his childhood (not necessarily in a cartoonishly sadistic way, probably more in the sense of "let's flood his room with 150db of sound until he stops lasering the door, nobody has any better ideas").

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The thing with Hughie, and kinda with Butcher, is that while his actions are justifiable, his motives behind them are dodgy as gently caress.

Yes, "we need to deal with Homelander asap, all other morality is secondary because this guy could kill millions" is a (possibly) defendable position. But that's not why Hughie is going off the deep end. He's using V24 and doing all these reckless deeds because he's tired of feeling weak and emasculated.

In S1/2 Hughie was much more sympathetic to Starlight and the danger she's in, but now he's motivated more by the fact that he can't do anything about it, rather than the fact that she's in danger. Look at all the scenes with #Homelight - he asks Starlight if she agreed to it ("hey babe, did you consent to this relationship with an all-powerful predator who defended the guy who raped you?") and then he complains about how Homelander was able to intimidate him and how he couldn't do anything about it. Keeping Starlight safe has gradually morphed into how HE must be the one to keep Starlight safe, which is really messed up. Caring and supportive Hughie is still in there, but he needs to be reminded to let him out.

It's a seriously great take on toxic masculinity, because we want to sympathise with this little dweeb, we can understand why he feels so powerless, and he's so close to doing the right thing.

I think this is right, but with one exception - I thought that her assertion that this is just some inherent part of Hughie was misplaced. Hughie is acting the way he is because of a traumatic experience that literally kicked the show off, and I think where the interplay with Annie is falling flat for me is that Annie is essentially just asking Hughie to "get over it". And it's not entirely clear to me that Annie - despite the fact that she's being framed as holding the high ground - is actually following a better path. The show hasn't yet really invited us to think about the parts of Annie's character that are being "amplified" by her status as a supe - she's being positioned as "the good one", but she's made a lot of dodgy choices along the way.

As others have pointed out, at the end of the day Homelander has to be dealt with and there's no way to do that other than directly confronting him. You can't put Homelander in jail. You can't wish him away, and it's very clear he's not going to find Jesus at this point. At multiple points, Annie has run away from that confrontation because of her own fears. From a different perspective, her decision at the end of the episode has the potential to destabilize things in a way that will get a lot more people killed than Hughie has. The logic that prevented her from releasing the footage from the plane incident still holds, it's not like the fundamentals have changed around Homelander. So is she making the choice to offload risk to the entire populace, rather than taking the more direct approach that Butcher and Hughie have? The only thing that MIGHT keep him from just wiping out cities at this point is the dawning realization that he can get hurt - which wouldn't have happened without Butcher and Hughie.

The whole point is that they are faced with a wicked problem and there are no "pure" or objectively "right" solutions for solving it, and all of The Boys are engaged in a cycle of trying to morally justify their preferred options for dealing with Homelander. That includes Annie. It's our old friend the Trolley Problem, except now the Trolley has BPD and laser eyes.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 24, 2022

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

it felt like the show leaned a little too hard into generic superhero poo poo with homelanders dumb 1 liner (sidenote: that entire scene wouldn't have looked out of place if it was an in-show dramatisation of events, like the bit in season 2 where they dramatise butcher & stillwel) and how standard marvel movie the fight choreography felt but honestly i can't care too much about that because it felt earned and i was poggin at all the good character and emotional beats leading up to, and after it. also ackles ftw

Thundercracker posted:

this website is exactly as dumb as reddit mate.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Thundercracker posted:

Please link to that post, I want to read this

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think this is right, but with one exception - I thought that her assertion that this is just some inherent part of Hughie was misplaced. Hughie is acting the way he is because of a traumatic experience that literally kicked the show off, and I think where the interplay with Annie is falling flat for me is that Annie is essentially just asking Hughie to "get over it". And it's not entirely clear to me that Annie - despite the fact that she's being framed as holding the high ground - is actually following a better path. The show hasn't yet really invited us to think about the parts of Annie's character that are being "amplified" by her status as a supe - she's being positioned as "the good one", but she's made a lot of dodgy choices along the way.

As others have pointed out, at the end of the day Homelander has to be dealt with and there's no way to do that other than directly confronting him. You can't put Homelander in jail. You can't wish him away, and it's very clear he's not going to find Jesus at this point. At multiple points, Annie has run away from that confrontation because of her own fears. From a different perspective, her decision at the end of the episode has the potential to destabilize things in a way that will get a lot more people killed than Hughie has. The logic that prevented her from releasing the footage from the plane incident still holds, it's not like the fundamentals have changed around Homelander. So is she making the choice to offload risk to the entire populace, rather than taking the more direct approach that Butcher and Hughie have? The only thing that MIGHT keep him from just wiping out cities at this point is the dawning realization that he can get hurt - which wouldn't have happened without Butcher and Hughie.

The whole point is that they are faced with a wicked problem and there are no "pure" or objectively "right" solutions for solving it, and all of The Boys are engaged in a cycle of trying to morally justify their preferred options for dealing with Homelander. That includes Annie.

Also true! And I think a lot of how people judge the show is gonna come down to how the story ends and if it takes a position on which approach is better.

I'm inclined to cut Starlight a little more slack, because she's constantly living under the threat of violence and sexual violence. She's got the double panopticon of Vaught and Homelander to juggle, as well as the knowledge that if she goes to far the public will turn on her and she'll be out on her arse.

Hughie had the rug pulled out from under him when he found out the last year of his life was a lie. But Starlight found out her entire life was a lie. That's worse!

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rushputin posted:

Seriously. It's fun to hate Homelander any enjoy Starr playing a sociopath, but it is also very clear that this is a guy who not only grew up without real love and parent figures but was literally tortured throughout his childhood (not necessarily in a cartoonishly sadistic way, probably more in the sense of "let's flood his room with 150db of sound until he stops lasering the door, nobody has any better ideas").

Him being traumatised doesn't preclude hating him for his actions either, like Homelander is an abusive piece of poo poo. Theres an IRL concept called the cycle of abuse, the worst amongst us usually have also been through some poo poo but even in the real world 'i had a poo poo childhood' does not excuse your actions as an adult.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Homelander is supposed to have a Gollum-like split personality. I think they just wanted to spell some things out more plainly. Some of it was stuff people have been confused about in here (Is Homelander afraid of Soldier Boy? Yes, at least a little)

Not saying they won't ever do it again, but I'd bet it's a one-off for now

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think what happened is that someone said "Yeah, but what if we could have TWO Anthony Starrs making crazy faces on the screen at the same time?"

And then they made that person president of the studio and gave them free donuts for life.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Does anybody else talk to themselves in the second person? Because that's how my thought process works sometimes, and that's how I interpreted the mirror scene. If they do more with it it'd be an interesting direction to take the comic twist (not sure if I like it though), or if they drop it I can accept it as just that.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 24, 2022

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Erin Moriarty doesn't get nearly enough love for her comedic chops.

I need a gif of her saying "Nom nom nom nom!"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
She does a very good job of messing with you because she's normally such a straight man. Her joke about her and Supersonic from earlier in the season also caught me off guard.

Jerusalem posted:

I will say in regards to this that I think Soldier Boy's reaction to MM - "You killed my family" "Which one? :shrug:" or in other words that he's killed more families as collateral damage than he can count (or be bothered to) - demonstrates that he's only better than Homelander insofar is that Homelander is just such an awful and utterly narcissistic monster who thinks he is the only real person (or at least person worth caring about) in the world.

It's not a collateral damage thing. Soldier Boy is insulting MM by implying he has more than one family, that he's a promiscuous father with multiple baby mommas.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Morrow posted:

It's not a collateral damage thing. Soldier Boy is insulting MM by implying he has more than one family, that he's a promiscuous father with multiple baby mommas.

What, no. That wasnt even a stereotype in his time.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Darko posted:

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Morrow posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Erin Moriarty doesn't get nearly enough love for her comedic chops.

I need a gif of her saying "Nom nom nom nom!"

Goddamn that scene was great.

Morrow posted:

*hunkers down for 8 straight pages of posts about how dumb the posters in this thread are*

It's definitely about Soldier Boy causing so much collateral damage he doesn't remember it all. Throwing a car through a living room was a Tuesday for him.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Morrow posted:

no muh big bear jackles is simply a misunderstood, mid-century antiracist just like his fuckbuddy liberty

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

lmaooo

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Bussamove posted:

At this point I really hope the last shot of this season is Black Noir chilling on some beach somewhere sipping a margarita through a straw. Through his mask, in full costume, of course. Dude got out while he had a chance.

I'm kinda hoping he's going to free Maeve.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think it would've worked if it was hinted at or built up before this. Maybe just a few scenes of him mouthing or looking like he's talking or listening to someone before this reveal.

I like to think that he's not really talking to a split personality but to his ego. And the reason he's staring at a blank mirror at the end is because his ego got its rear end kicked.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is beautiful

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

It's definitely about Soldier Boy causing so much collateral damage he doesn't remember it all. Throwing a car through a living room was a Tuesday for him.
No, it’s definitely a racist comment. Black men having multiple families is a racism from the 70’s and the 80’s that persists into today.

“You killed my family!”
“Which one of your families did I kill?”
vs
“You killed my family!”
“To which one of the dozens of families that I have killed are you referring?”

See how one of those doesn’t make any goddam sense?

Anyways best episode of the show so far! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I like Frenchie and Kimiko and thought the payoff here was great. Not sure how this episode could have been better.

I think this fight was great, I don’t think a human sized object punched by another human sized object would physically blast through a solid stone wall no matter how hard they were punched into it, so the smaller interior scale of the fight was great. I thought Soldier Boy making fun of the cape and then punishing Homelander for the cape was amazing. The best part of the fight was Hughie’s perfectly timed kidney shot right when it mattered most, it’s like the single most consequential thing he’s done in the entire series. The fight was amazing.

LoL at the full A-Train redemption arc just the most pitch perfect ending to his character.

LoL at the goons who seem disappointed we didn’t see hard-dicked full penetration, this was pretty raunchy for an episode of TV, IMO, they showed everything except vulva.

Super excited to see Soldier Boy and The Boys take down Black Noir next episode!

MM got some good development with Annie, Annie is stealing the show, The Deep continues to uselessly spiral and flail about and seems to be regressing to full on himbo status as a reaction to his terrible wife, and Nina is is the new Apex Predator at the top of the food chain in terms of power.

The best goddam show on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Darko posted:

Soldier Boy's cultural memory goes back to the 80s when he was frozen; that stereotype was definitely a thing in the Reaganite "welfare queens are the greatest threat to society" age. I definitely read it as Soldier Boy being careless about collateral damage in context but I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended for a double meaning, and if the next two episodes feature more overt racism from him.