Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Still looking for recommendations for light turn-based survival games if anyone has any. Already beat Neo Scavenger a couple of times, and I tried the Card Survival thing someone recommended but couldn't get over the terrible UI.

Also, anything notable worth picking up in the current Steam sale? The Survival tag mingling with 'Survival Horror' is making it hard to browse the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't know about "light" but there's always unreal world. Current version is $8 on steam, previous version is free from the author

http://www.unrealworld.fi/urw_downloads.html

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

RandomBlue posted:

The game also has solo vs. group talent trees and last I heard you can't respec so either you use solo talents to optimize your solo play and suck in a group (those talents get disabled when playing with others IIRC) or you have a group char that sucks when solo.

Used to have permadeath if the RL mission timer expired before you completed the mission too but that's been changed/removed.

Some astoundingly bad design decisions in the game but it can be fun. I like their tree chopping implementation, it feels and sounds good, but mining rocks is just like pretty much every other rock mining game.

My issue with it is that once you maxed your bow combat skills (no solo skills needed), 95% of the missions were 1) chop a couple trees, kill a couple animals, make a level 2/3? bow & armor 2) make a bunch of bone arrows and go finish the mission. Especially with sneaking headshots, you can just waltz around and wreck everything. Bears, polar bears, elephants, whatever.

And then the other 5% of the missions required higher level equipment that took insane exponential effort to build that just made everything a massive chore. Add in a super boring static world populated with lovely purchased assets and you've got a crappy, crappy game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
oh rad they added space elephants to the space bears and space wolves??

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Flesh Forge posted:

oh rad they added space elephants to the space bears and space wolves??

they added several new space earth animals, yes

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

they added several new space earth animals, yes

fuckin invasive species

the white haired grabblesnout of tarsis IV was a beautiful, if misunderstood, creature!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think there's Space Gators on the new world map too, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

mrmcd posted:

I think there's Space Gators on the new world map too, but I haven't tried it out yet.

And kamado dragons

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha perfect! :D

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Is Icarus good yet?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

computer_ posted:

Is Icarus good yet?

Depends on what you like. I wouldn't say it's "done" but there's enough to keep me interested anyway. The devs keep adding content and pushing weekly fixes, but they still don't have online matchmaking so you can only play with your steam friends. There's 4-6 biomes but they can be a slog to unlock for new players. There's also outposts that are basically permanent bases for creative building. Solo play is either punishing or a challenge depending on your perspective.

I'd say the biggest pros: Beautiful scenery.
Interesting model of having a week -> month long mission your friends can work on asynchronously. Huge world map to explore.

Biggest cons: Still has an EA jank and feel, rough edges, bugs and typos, etc. This is despite not technically being EA. Some of the missions are really tedious if you're trying to speedrun the mission unlock tree. Similarly, teching up to the high tiers from scratch every mission is also tedious if you're trying to move through missions quickly. Animal spawns are very repetitive and stupid, and quickly go from being scary at low levels to an unfun annoyance, especially if you build your base in the wrong place and the game just drip spawns infinite bears to harass and gank you.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 27, 2022

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

Similarly, teching up to the high tiers from scratch every mission is also tedious if you're trying to move through missions quickly.

This is what really got me, beautiful game with some relaxing scenery but after starting my 4th mission I quickly realized, I've done this exact same thing already and I'm going to keep doing it every single mission, why am I spending my free time on this? It was novel a few times but that wears off quick.

I think the concept of having to rebuild constantly is very flawed for anyone who values their time, even more so than it is for survival crafting games in general.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is so good lmao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

So Icarus is currently in the middle of a 2+ hour server outage, and because of how the game works, if you were playing when they died, you cannot quit or leave the game at all otherwise you'll lose all progress from the point the servers were last alive.

luv2be held hostage by a video game at 12:17 am.

edit: lol the game just crashed there's 3 hours wasted.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 1, 2022

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Went ahead asked Steam for a refund explaining the outage. A petty first world problem but if you can't ship a functional product and your game is so fragile it holds all your players hostage....

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Isn't Icarus a PvE game? Why do they really care if there is desynch between server and local memory?

From what I've heard the game is basically Deep Rock Galactic for nerds so you could just local host the saves temporarily.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 1, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

From what I've heard the game is basically Deep Rock Galactic for nerds so you could just local host the saves temporarily.

Probably the first I've heard this game being described as "basically DRG", is it not just a co-op survival game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

Probably the first I've heard this game being described as "basically DRG", is it not just a co-op survival game?

Checking back to confirm, the store page says its a session based game with a timer where you drop in, gather resources and punch bears, and then jet back out again. I know people have been talking about building poo poo shacks and having bears attack them but I assumed that was just the "build a base" mode, is that inaccurate?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

Checking back to confirm, the store page says its a session based game with a timer where you drop in, gather resources and punch bears, and then jet back out again. I know people have been talking about building poo poo shacks and having bears attack them but I assumed that was just the "build a base" mode, is that inaccurate?

Oh I have no idea, I remembered hearing about the session based thing but figured that just meant you're playing on servers that reset every couple days or something like that. I'm sure someone who actually played the game can provide more insight since I just watched someone stream it for an hour or so when it launched.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

When you start a game, the server is hosted on your local machine (the first person to start the game) and then steam friends can join for co-op. However, the game saves aren't stored locally. Every 60s it automatically sends the world state to their servers. If you quit or crash, it loads the last world state from their backend when you restart. If the host quits, someone else that previously the game can host by loading the world state from the backends, and hosting the game on their computer. Same thing if the host is offline and another player wants to start playing the shared save file.

The problem is if their backend save servers hard crash and eat poo poo for 5-7 hours like they did last night, nobody can start a game, and if you're in a game, you can't quit or finish a mission. If you do (or your game crashes ... Which also happens a lot because it's basically a beta game sold as a finished one) then you lose all your progress after the moment their servers died.

There's not really any similarities to DRG except they both have drop pods. DRG is a co-op shooter game where a mission lasts ~20 minutes. Icarus is a survival game where a mission lasts somewhere between 2 hours and 7 days depending on the mission and how ocd you want to be about mining every last scrap of exotics. Icarus also isn't procedural like DRG.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Wow I’m glad I didn’t buy into to the Icarus hype. I noticed that about a week after release I didn’t see much about it any more. Sounds like it still needs a lot of work.

Rocketwerks sure has some strange ideas about how save games should work. Stationeers is weird about it too. Like the autosave is global so if you have multiple worlds you have to be careful to always manually save under a different name before switching because the autosave in the new world will overwrite the autosave from the previous world you played. I mean the game does give the usual warning about losing unsaved progress when exiting but some people might think the autosave took care of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Isn't Icarus a PvE game? Why do they really care if there is desynch between server and local memory?

imo they are courting a particular kind of gamer who wants the ~hard core~ ~full looting~ ~high risk high reward~ MMO PVP experience but doesn't actually want pvp

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've never had any technical issues playing ~80 hours of Icarus but their backend servers going down like that is hilarious. My character is presumably still sitting in a now-legacy run or very much permadead because I think the game deletes your character under very specific circumstances.

Flesh Forge posted:

imo they are courting a particular kind of gamer who wants the ~hard core~ ~full looting~ ~high risk high reward~ MMO PVP experience but doesn't actually want pvp

Maybe, but I was attracted to it originally because they promised to try and maintain that 'early stage in a survival craft where everything is hard and dangerous' which uh, yeah, didn't happen. They pushed it out a bit into the mid-game stages but once you understand the mechanics of the game it's incredibly easy to zero out all that risk in very short order.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1149460/view/3325361214989198998

quote:

We mentioned in a previous announcement that ICARUS is shifting towards a decentralized storage of save data. To achieve this goal, we are planning on removing the reliance of storing save data on our servers. We have been planning this change for some time - but due to recent issues with server outages, we have decided to turn our focus towards getting the new system into player hands sooner.

Lmao. "poo poo yeah I guess we better do that before we hold people's characters hostage again."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Remember a little while back when the blinked the first time and restored eighty thousand permadead characters lol

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

CuddleCryptid posted:

They are very different games, principally that Deep Rock Galactic is fun.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I just picked up Necesse because I put far too many hours into Rimworld, so combining that with a survival game seems like something that was designed specifically to honey trap me. Is there anything I should know before I run wild with it?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Going to the edge of the map lets you move to another tile on the overworld, which is how you access different biomes. In general though I think there aren’t any big gotchas/things to miss.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I started playing Project Zomboid, does anyone know if you can aim while sneaking and if it still counts as sneaking? Sometimes I like to aim to look further ahead while I'm sneaking but it feels like I get spotted more easily but I'm not sure.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I think it’s a smaller amount of noise/visibility if you’re sneaking in general but you’ll still be noticed if you’re aiming and moving.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

duffmensch posted:

I think it’s a smaller amount of noise/visibility if you’re sneaking in general but you’ll still be noticed if you’re aiming and moving.

Thanks, guess I'll just play zoomed out so I can see further without endangering myself.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any problem if I use a charcoal BBQ inside a house in Project Zomboid? Will it cause smoke or guaranteed fire?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Big Scary Owl posted:

Is there any problem if I use a charcoal BBQ inside a house in Project Zomboid? Will it cause smoke or guaranteed fire?

Unless it's been changed, you can safely use a barbecue indoors.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, cooking stuff indoors doesn't matter. Last time I played I even used a big metal pot to cook stews (with copious amounts of marinara sauce, raw chicken, veggies and all sorts. Also did I mention lots of marinara sauce? :v: ) using the microwave, and it didn't cause any issues - either to my health or the microwave! :D hahah

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Scary Owl posted:

Just don’t use a KFC scented log.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Big Scary Owl posted:

Just make sure that it doesn’t burn or else things will get bad in a hurry. I think it’s just generators that are harmful to use inside (or driving a truck in the mall isn’t enough to poison you).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

duffmensch posted:

Just make sure that it doesn’t burn or else things will get bad in a hurry. I think it’s just generators that are harmful to use inside (or driving a truck in the mall isn’t enough to poison you).

Ah poo poo, I knew I was forgetting something but I couldn't remember for the life of me. I thought I already had picked up a generator that I had found but I forgot :downs:. I will have to figure out how to use it though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you accidentally leave a heat source on (other than antique stove and maybe fireplace iirc), I think there are chances it’ll set a local fire. Doing an hour on the stove won’t do it, it’s more like 2+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wow I can't hit a single shot with my weapons. I thought they were supposed to help!