Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phigs posted:

So I looked up Tactical Nexus and I have to ask: why does this AUD$26 game with 61 steam user reviews have $60 in DLC?

They seem to consider each dlc a separate game and have a forum post about some convoluted logic where they plan to eventually jack the price of the whole package with 8 planned dlcs up north of $700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Phigs posted:

So I looked up Tactical Nexus and I have to ask: why does this AUD$26 game with 61 steam user reviews have $60 in DLC?

Because a person bound by the logic of the real world would not have created Tactical Nexus.

The DLC pricing is actually fair right now, though I don’t think it would be if they actually went through with raising the prices over time. The game is ludicrously long and full of content.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

They seem to consider each dlc a separate game and have a forum post about some convoluted logic where they plan to eventually jack the price of the whole package with 8 planned dlcs up north of $700.
yeah they are literally like "each time the dlc comes out it gives you more ways to play the base game so we're going to raise the price on that too"

completely insane, as far as I can tell

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
I picked up Tactical Nexus for a short moment in 2019 and almost 600 hours of my life vanished in a very short period of time. I think this is a recommendation to not play it??? idk you're an adult, do what you want

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I tried the demo and that UI sure is a choice. To the point where it's making me not want to play.

Lost an hour somehow though. Probably just passed out for a bit.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Tactical Nexus has the graphics, sound design, and resolution support of a freeware game from 2006, but if you can get past that there's a really compelling game.

There is also a thread for it but it's inactive at the moment.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

GetDunked posted:

Tactical Nexus has the graphics, sound design, and resolution support of a freeware game from 1996

ftfy

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

GetDunked posted:

Tactical Nexus has the graphics, sound design, and resolution support of a freeware game from 2006, but if you can get past that there's a really compelling game.

Reading that OP the metaprogression systems in the game seem really interesting, especially the part where runs not using the metaprogression medals earns another type of metaprogression currency.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, Tactical Nexus is genuinely great. It also has a huge free demo. Definitely play it (and join the Discord) if you liked Tower of the Sorcerer and/or Desktop Dungeons.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Downloaded this to check it out and hoo boy does it look like it could be a dangerous time devourer. Definitely some really neat ideas there, once I figured out how the gently caress it works since there isn't a tutorial.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://ithiro.itch.io/devil-spire/devlog/396163/the-immersive-update Devil Spire surging back in a first of apparently Some Updates yet to come for hopefully greater impact, also on Steam as it buckles under Sales Weight.

quote:

The Immersive Update, Patch v1.4, adds many new features and content to the game, and also comes with the usual rebalancing, improvements and fixes!

CHANGELOG:

-Much more interactivity with the environment: Almost all props that were only decorative before can now be interacted with, from pushing chairs to eating mushrooms, so try them all!
-There's now a very small chance of chests containing mimics, completely new, special enemies with randomized attributes that drop powerful items when killed. Watch out for feisty chests!
-On NIGHTMARE difficulty, a demonic sigil will now appear in the village's bonfire, and will accept SOUL offerings to increase the game's difficulty indefinitely.
-Balancing and fixes to combat:
The Sonic Wave spell now only takes effect if it'd deal more than 1 damage, so it no longer aggroes the entire floor.
The Gravity spell no longer works through walls.
Fixed the Barrier spell possibly pushing the player into getting stuck in the scenery.
More varied sounds for the Bread & Wine spell.
The Resurrection power now does a full heal (recovers all HP and MP, and cures status ailments) when it activates. It also unstucks the player if he was thrown into a solid prop.
The Dragon boss' melee attacks now vary their damage/speed twice as much.
-Improvements and fixes to the interface and sound:
MASSIVE ENHANCEMENT: The cursor's finger now actually clicks.
Slightly better stylized sprites for the HUD lamp.
Magic (as in MP) has been renamed to Mana, to reduce confusion on item and enchantment descriptions.
Separate sound volume setting for footsteps.
Better, more immediately impactful Ultimate attack sound effect for bosses.
Fixed a bug with the Abomination's boss fight music not stopping properly.
Adjusted the Dark Room's music loop and pitching.
-Additions and fixes to exploration and items:
Kicking doors and chests now makes them open faster based on your Strength and powers.
Red chests in the Arena mode are now black, and can be lockpicked too. Loot is the same as before.
You can now combine Accessories of the same type to create one with their average stats.
Traps now leave ripples on flooded floors.
Gold Dust is now only spent if you don't have Gold Bags, and it no longer gains weight when you buy items.
Fixed a bug with chest keys spawning inside jail cells.
-Adjustments to drop tables:
Increased Spells' drop rate from 4 to 6%.
Increased Lamp Oil' drop rate from 4 to 5%.
Increased Accessories' drop rate, from 5 to 10% (of the 60% chance of dropping Equipment).
Decreased Empty Bottles' drop rate from 4 to 2%.
Decreased Artifacts' drop rate from 4 to 3%.
Decreased Rings' drop rate from 10 to 5% (of the 60% chance of dropping Equipment).

Think it's over? Think again! There's still more to come before we move on to our next project!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Development on new DLC for Tactical Nexus is currently stalled, as the devteam is working on migrating their chosen language, a freeware BASIC derivative used to teach programming to Japanese children in the mid-90s and without support for modern niceties such as local variables, to 64 bits. This is actually true.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, Tactical Nexus is genuinely great. It also has a huge free demo. Definitely play it (and join the Discord) if you liked Tower of the Sorcerer and/or Desktop Dungeons.

Oh, oh no. I'm in the demo and I just realized just how optimized this can get when I rewound a room to get a golden feather earlier. And with the multiple floors! I'm going to need a notebook.

e: oh, and tracking what to choose at each level to maximize returns. This is disgusting.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 23, 2022

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

nrook posted:

Development on new DLC for Tactical Nexus is currently stalled, as the devteam is working on migrating their chosen language, a freeware BASIC derivative used to teach programming to Japanese children in the mid-90s and without support for modern niceties such as local variables, to 64 bits. This is actually true.

And they aren't bothering to straight up rewrite instead? Sounds miserable.

Screw y'all for introducing this though. Extremely my jam and will suck up too much time.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i don't believe there is a dev team, they use royal we but it's gotta be just one dude.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

GetDunked posted:

They ARE reasonably community-involved, though, taking advice and responding on Twitter with (Google-translated) posts. Also, several features have been added since the game released based entirely on community requests and feedback, which wouldn't be that notable except that, you know, the game looks very basic and the devs are a weird Japanese collective.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://ithiro.itch.io/devil-spire/devlog/396163/the-immersive-update Devil Spire surging back in a first of apparently Some Updates yet to come for hopefully greater impact, also on Steam as it buckles under Sales Weight.

Have you tried this and is it any good? Kinda looks like something that would be up my alley.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got like 7 hours out of Devil Spire a few months ago, it's pretty fun but not particularly challenging. Magic seemed mostly useless but melee was ridiculously strong.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nrook posted:

Awesome lol

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Tactical Nexus is evil and all of you are evil for pointing me to it.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
Since there is talk of Tactical Nexus, I'll just leave this here. https://store.steampowered.com/app/351330/DROD_RPG_Tendrys_Tale/

The Caravel forums have a bunch of fanmade campaigns that you can lose many hours to.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nrook posted:

this is my favorite post of the day

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nrook posted:

:allears:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

8.4 hours played on Tactical Nexus demo... think I might have to NOT buy the game. Or maybe buy it as thanks for the demo and not install it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948290/Before_The_Last_Hour/

Killer aesthetic, but sounds like the game needs some polish. I love the setting though.

Anyone know how close Last Spell is to release? All my favorite doomed world games I'm interested in are still in EA :mad: (Against the Storm, Age of Darkness)

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
have you played they are billions?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

moonmazed posted:

have you played they are billions?

yeah, that's why I'm interested in AoD :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a big effortpost I made about Devil Spire in a different thread. TL;DR: it's very close to a great game but it doesn't do anything to challenge the player and it gives you way too many tools for dealing with its obstacles. That being said I haven't played it since March.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Devil Spire is great but heads up to potential players, it gives you far too many tools to overcome its obstacles and if you can't resist minmaxing or powergaming or whatever it becomes too easy, you have to purposefully restrict yourself from engaging with some of its tools/mechanics for it to stay challenging.

Weapons are supposed to be limited by durability - you theoretically have to weigh using your strong weapons' durability against a target and determine whether it's worth it to do that. But then it's fairly easy to find a weapon that kills things in 1-2 hits and then just craft every weapon you find into it, giving it effectively infinite durability. Then to compound upon that you can enchant and upgrade this uber-weapon that you've created to make it even more powerful.

All you have to do is create a handful of those weapons throughout the run so that you can still survive the extreme end-game floors where it takes like 20k durability to kill an enemy. and there's virtually no gameplay left except speedrunning floors and sprinting to the exit.

Then there's the lantern - you're kind of supposed to be racing against time via your lantern fuel which is a consumable you find more of throughout the run, and in fact it's so valuable that it powers some upgrade items you find, they let you sacrifice lantern fuel to gain stats or new spells or whatever. Without the lantern you can't see enemies more than a few feet ahead of you, but with the lantern you can see them at any distance. Okay, cool - but there's nothing to stop you from just playing with the lantern turned off and flicking it on occasionally when looking down a hallway to see if there are any enemies down the hallway, and lining up your shots if so. So you can play several hours of a 100-floor run and only use a few minutes of lantern fuel total, which lets you sacrifice as much as you want to become uber-powerful.

And since all of the enemies are 100% static until you come within a certain distance of them or attack them, you can safely wander around flicking your lantern on and off one-shotting everything (or even when you don't one-shot them, they charge at you in a straight line so you can just stand there and shoot 7, 8, 9+ times before they reach you). Unfortunately I am the kind of player who can't resist the obvious powerful option (Like, I can't just let my strong weapon break when there's an enormous amount of trash weapons lying around that can be used to give it 100k durability) so I just megastack and buff a stack of throwing knives or javelins that can one-shot anything from infinite distance and from there there's pretty much nothing left to the game. :saddowns:

When you kill a boss you get 3 choices - gold, some stats, or a passive skill. There's no reason to ever take gold or stats because some of the passive skills are absurdly, game-breakingly powerful, and even if you get one that's not, taking it removes it from the pool and makes you more likely to get a good one from the next boss.

Higher difficulties only matter until you get your build off the ground with some good passives and/or a strong weapon, once you have those up and running you snowball out of control (I played on Hard, I think there were 1-2 higher difficulties but I doubt it makes a big difference)

Might not be a big deal to others but I got about 8 hours of fun out of it before it felt pointless to continue because of this. It didn't really feel like I was "overcoming the challenge" to make the game easy or going out of my way to break it, I just wasn't going out of my way to make it more challenging for myself.

e: Thanks to the magic of achievements I can confirm that in 8 hours of playing, I parried 3 attacks and dodged 8 attacks. That's how easy it is to make an overpowered god-weapon. I also never bothered equipping or even carrying shields or armor :v:

e2: These problems could largely be avoided by never touching its crafting system. Experimenting with that was pretty much the first thing I did. Craft a weapon onto a weapon to give the base weapon a portion of the new weapon's durability. Never craft and maybe the game will stay challenging because you'll have to deal with scarcity of resources and your weapons will break.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 24, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

In Dungeonmans the classes have different difficulties next to them: I just wanted to clarify I assume its "this class is harder to play" not "the game will be increase difficulty (like enemy stats for example) by playing the class?

Also in Rift Wizard, is there a way I can see what units are allies? I love the game but I sometimes get confused whats friendly and what isnt especially when possessing other monsters

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nrook posted:

lmao

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kvlt! posted:

In Dungeonmans the classes have different difficulties next to them: I just wanted to clarify I assume its "this class is harder to play" not "the game will be increase difficulty (like enemy stats for example) by playing the class?

Yes, although I'll note that since you can level into anything you want the difficulty is really just about how hard it is to get off the ground.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

victrix posted:

Anyone know how close Last Spell is to release?

It seems to be getting pretty close to release, just got a big rebalance update. They were initially planning to stay in EA for 1 year and it looks like they're more or less sticking to it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Jonathon Blow has something to say about Tactical Nexus

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkxxn7AhaGcDz9M-leOgaHMIyx_bDnJY8No

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
he can blow me

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

victrix posted:

Anyone know how close Last Spell is to release? All my favorite doomed world games I'm interested in are still in EA :mad: (Against the Storm, Age of Darkness)

The most recent road map put the game hitting 1.0 early next year.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
So, I just picked up Revita after seeing it talked about in this thread and have an embarrassing problem that a quick google search doesn't seem to help me figure out. How the heck do I dash? The tutorial shows an up arrow, but it's not the directional arrow up, and its not the numpad 8.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Xenix posted:

So, I just picked up Revita after seeing it talked about in this thread and have an embarrassing problem that a quick google search doesn't seem to help me figure out. How the heck do I dash? The tutorial shows an up arrow, but it's not the directional arrow up, and its not the numpad 8.

Up arrow can also mean shift, it used to be marked as such on more keyboards.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kvlt! posted:

Also in Rift Wizard, is there a way I can see what units are allies? I love the game but I sometimes get confused whats friendly and what isnt especially when possessing other monsters

Itsy bitsy ping flashing thing in the upper right hand corner.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Kvlt! posted:

There should be a status icon in the upper right of a tile for any monster youve got on your side for whatever reason. I think like theres a heart for wolves youve summoned for instance.

e: oh wait i was beaten before i started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Oh, oh no. I'm in the demo and I just realized just how optimized this can get when I rewound a room to get a golden feather earlier. And with the multiple floors! I'm going to need a notebook.

e: oh, and tracking what to choose at each level to maximize returns. This is disgusting.

You can write notes in game for yourself/others, IIRC