Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

rex rabidorum vires posted:

If only we were this lucky. No it will be something far worse fortunately.

aren't all NFTs nowadays more or less rip offs of the apes? so we'll get repulsive cartoon men with a jersey and you can pay $10,000 to own the NFT of Connor McDavid with some sort of nazi dogwhistle hidden in the image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

If only we were this lucky. No it will be something far worse fortunately.

It's gonna be highlight plays from the playoffs.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
https://twitter.com/JoeyMacHockey/status/1540154576384323584

Shaking my fist because this most likely means the Bruins make the playoffs again but also pumping my fist because it most likely spells the end of the Connor Bedard Boston Bruin timeline

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cartoon Man posted:

Is this what the NFTs are gonna look like?

I got u:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

about what i expected tbh

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

Full time NHLers can afford it no problem. It's a lot more difficult for a guy jumping from a $70k a year salary in the AHL to the NHL for a week or so at a time. It was one the team's motivating factors in moving their affiliate to Abbotsford. Call ups can now commute from home rather than having to stay in hotels or temporary housing for short stints.

Per section 13.12 of the CBA, NHL teams pay for a player's travel and hotel when they are called up from the minors. They have 28 days to declare if the player is staying with the club, and if they don't declare it, for up to 56 days they need to pay for a two bedroom hotel if the player is joined by their partner/kids. NHL minimum salary is $750,000 and there are 186 days in a standard regular season, so that's $4032 per day they're on the roster and ~$113,000 for a 28-day period. They also get per diems of $100 adjusted for inflation from 2013 dollars.

quote:

13.12 Transfers To/From Minors. In the case of a Club moving a Player either to or from a minor league club, the following procedure shall be followed:
The Club responsible for the move shall provide to the Player for a period of up to 28 days (through the 28th day or earlier upon Club's notice to Player that the move is permanent) a reasonable single hotel room ... accommodations under Section 13.12(d) for a period of up to 56 days ... an additional five (5) days accommodation and one-half per diem for each of the same five (5) days after he has been advised to obtain a residence or at the conclusion of the 28th day (or 56th day if Section 13.12(d) applies). The Player shall be allowed to keep his hotel room at Club's expense while the Club is traveling on the road during the said 28-day period (or 56-day period if Section 13.12(d) applies).

... if as of the 28th day the Club has not decided whether the Player will remain with the Club ... provide the Player with a hotel or similar accommodation, with a kitchen area, at least of comparable quality to that the Club stays at when it is on the road (such accommodation shall be a two (2) bedroom accommodation if the Player is joined by his spouse or Living Companion and also his child(ren)) for a period of up to an additional 28 days. Until the Club notifies the Player that he will remain with the Club, the Player may not incur liability in connection with rental or purchase of quarters, except at his own risk. At the expiration of the 56th day, the Player shall be free to obtain a residence without seeking the Club's permission.

Basically, the CBA ensures players are taken care of and don't end up in a scenario like you're describing. It is also common practice across the league for vets to take in young guys, players to have roommates, etc.

ThinkTank posted:

Still, Aquilini rents places out to all of his players who haven't bought a house yet for a song. It's basically adding another $30-50k a year to their salaries that doesn't come off the cap.

There's a mention in 13.12b of clubs who have provided a player with a house, apartment, etc. so this must be an acceptable/expected practice. I know it's the norm in the ECHL and probably not uncommon in the AHL, but the CBA does mention this in the NHL.

quote:

A Club that provides a Player with accommodation, whether it be in the minor league or NHL (hotel, house, apartment, etc.)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yaya posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeyMacHockey/status/1540154576384323584

Shaking my fist because this most likely means the Bruins make the playoffs again but also pumping my fist because it most likely spells the end of the Connor Bedard Boston Bruin timeline

They're still gonna have a hard time making the playoffs since McAvoy and Marchand are both going to miss like 20-30 games. All this would really do is hurt their potential draft position.

That said I don't care. Bergeron's earned it if he wants to come back. He's only 18 away from 1,000 career points too, so it'd be fun to see him hit that milestone. And maybe he'll win another Selke. Also, while a high draft pick would be great, anything to keep the team relevant/convince Pastrnak to re-sign with Boston is fine with me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's gonna be highlight plays from the playoffs.

I’d buy a Marchand lick or dick-spear NFT

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’d buy a Marchand lick or dick-spear NFT

Have to have something people would actually want.

Marchand crying

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe they'll make highlights into NFTs and then only one person will be able to watch it. And somehow gambling will be involved

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

There's a mention in 13.12b of clubs who have provided a player with a house, apartment, etc. so this must be an acceptable/expected practice. I know it's the norm in the ECHL and probably not uncommon in the AHL, but the CBA does mention this in the NHL.

Sure the CBA has rules around temporary housing for recently recalled and traded players. It's not endless and expenses are a real challenge for guys who aren't full time NHLers. They don't go broke because of rent costs, but paying for an expensive place because they're millionaires (kinda) is a significant contributor when their careers end, often abruptly. The 'issue' (if you even want to call it that) is that the owner rents places out to players way under market value to a lot of his regular players. For a major city like Vancouver that can be $50k+ in unaccounted for benefit on the SPC. The CBA is very clear that teams cannot provide anything of value as enticements to players beyond salaried compensation and bonuses.

quote:

50.2 Player Salary, Bonuses and Actual Club Salary
Other than Player Salary as outlined in (i) through (iii) above and Bonuses as set forth in subsection (b) below, no Club may provide a Player with anything of value. In addition, a Club Affiliated Entity may not provide a Player with anything of value. To the extent that a Player receives anything of value from an entity that has a contractual relationship with any Club or Club Affiliated Entity, or with the NHL or any League Affiliated Entity, for his intellectual property rights or for rendering any services for such entity, such value must be commensurate with (i.e., not clearly in excess of) fair market value.

It's a not insignificant bonus. I'm sure other teams do it but the Canucks take it to an excess. It's much the same reason you can't sign a guy for $1M under the cap then buy him a $5M house. It's all compensation and must be subject to HRR and the CBA. It's not a major issue at all, but it is one of those little cap cheating tricks teams do. It's also infuriating that guys making $6M a year are paying a fraction of market rate rent.

Section 13.12 (b) covers teams providing temporary accommodation to recalls being required to pay them a per diem as well, not regular rented accommodation owned by the owner to players.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 24, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Johnson did end up resembling Jovanovski, just the version of him from 2013 that had no hip

PAS is going to be fun for the next couple months starting in about 15 hours after he raises the Cup.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

PAS is going to be fun for the next couple months starting in about 15 hours after he raises the Cup.

If anything, it makes me respect the Avs more if they manage to go the distance on hard mode

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah seriously, winning the Cup with Jack Johnson on your team is an amazing achievement.

And he is by all accounts a widely respected guy. He just sucks at hockey but there's no reason I know of to personally loathe him more than any other hockey player. As far as the Penguins go, JMFJ was a symptom, Rutherford was the disease.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

JJ gonna need extra security on his cup day to keep his parents from swiping and pawing it

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I can't be the only one that still associates Jack Johnson with Nickelback and Mr kite, right?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't hate JJ. He sucks but he's a nice guy. Not his fault JR gave him a dump truck of cash.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dr Zaius posted:

I can't be the only one that still associates Jack Johnson with Nickelback and Mr kite, right?

I associate him more with Banana Pancakes.

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't hate JJ. He sucks but he's a nice guy. Not his fault JR gave him a dump truck of cash.

Especially after he needed a place to land after he initially rejected an extension with Columbus only to come back after the cap space was instead earmarked to Ryan Murray.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It will be amazing if Jack Johnson's career ends with him walking into the sunset with the cup.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My wild opinion is that Jack Johnson is a pretty crappy defenceman but no worse than most other bottom of the lineup defencemen across the league. He gets overplayed a bit and he's kinda a wreck out there but a team like the Avs winning the Cup with him in the lineup isn't some herculean accomplishment. He's at worst kinda dragging down the team when he's on the ice but that's offset by the four other spectacular guys on the ice as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

My wild opinion is that Jack Johnson is a pretty crappy defenceman but no worse than most other bottom of the lineup defencemen across the league. He gets overplayed a bit and he's kinda a wreck out there but a team like the Avs winning the Cup with him in the lineup isn't some herculean accomplishment. He's at worst kinda dragging down the team when he's on the ice but that's offset by the four other spectacular guys on the ice as well.

That's because you haven't had to watch him play every game for your team. This was exactly my opinion of him before he came to the Penguins. Then I found out, the hard way, that he is somehow even worse than his rep.

But I do think a big key to this is that in the playoffs the Avalanche have actually been smart and deep enough to not overplay him. They started off with him in the press box where he belongs, and since injury pushed him into the lineup they've been playing him as a third pairing defenseman where the damage he can do is limited. Everywhere else he's been, he's been top pairing and a Biblical plague.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 24, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

You do not know hell until you're forced to endure a defence core assembled by Jim Benning.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also Jack Johnson is 100% going to be in our lives until the day he dies, as a coach, GM, TV personality, or league executive (probably all of the above at various times).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Would he be a worse TV personality than PJ Stock or Kevin Bieksa?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Jack Johnson was very hyped up and seen as a future Norris winner for years. The Hurricanes trading him for Tim Gleason was seen as one of the all time worst trades when it was made.

I now have a hazy memory of this happening, so I searched for news articles, and it looks like the Canes traded Johnson away because he wasn't willing to leave college for the NHL (he would join the NHL late in the season for 5 games, then become a regular in 07-08), and I assume there was some animosity between the two.

I mean, we all know how Johnson's career turned out, but he was a top prospect drafted 3rd overall. You'd think that's worth more than Tim Gleason (as beloved as he became in Carolina).

It is also still included on nhltradetracker.com's Worst Trade List.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

When you're a team as good as the Avs you can probably insulate him a bit. JJ doesn't look so bad when the puck is in the other team's end all game.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
every time I see #3 on the ice I very unconsciously go "oh no..." under my breath. I don't even realize I do it until I've already said it.

also this was funny from the last series:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1533908882975870976

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

When you're a team as good as the Avs you can probably insulate him a bit. JJ doesn't look so bad when the puck is in the other team's end all game.

Bednar does appear to be the very first coach of Jack Johnson that understands that he sucks.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Aces High posted:

Would he be a worse TV personality than PJ Stock or Kevin Bieksa?

bieksa is awesome

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe the Avs should stop playing JMFJ by himself then?

Aces High posted:

a worse TV personality than Kevin Bieksa

I'd buy an NFT of this DALL-E generated monstrosity.

heehee posted:

bieksa is awesome

You gently caress right off.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

heehee posted:

bieksa is awesome

The only way this is true is if you look at him like he’s just poo poo posting on the internet, but on TV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I do that all the time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hated seeing Kevin Bieksa's face even when there was a helmet to hide part of it and I like it even less when there's no helmet there

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

Chad Rudwedel is a perfectly capable bottom pairing defenseman. He isn't flashy, but makes decent plays and knows his limitations as a player so doesn't make too many poor decisions and high risk players. Robert Hagg also a decent example.

Jack Johnson would be a perfectly fine bottom pairing guy, if, he wasn't a gigantic moron with zero positional sense that gambles on high risk plays and the worst decisions possible all the time. Jack Johnson backs Jack Johnson to be highlight reel on everything and it's a huge reason why he has not developed beyond the player he has always been. Bednar has done as decently as possible to insulate him, but despite that he's still a huge net drag on his team. If JMFJ had the actual wherewithal and capability to self reflect he'd probably be 'fine' and actually listen to his coaches instead of consistently playing JMFJ hockey vs the actual system.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not even saying he's a good depth guy. He's poor at that as well but so are countless other guys. He's a wild card press box jockey that mostly negatively impacts you on the ice but is perhaps moderately more capable than a career AHL guy. He's a #7 at this point in his career and that's how the Avs are largely employing him. He wouldn't he in the lineup if Girard was healthy. Him being tragically misused on the Pens is less an indictment of him than Pens management and coaching. The Avs are using him pretty appropriately and he's not been visibly a giant anchor so far.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There's something very funny about this very moment in time the NHL being like NOW WE DO NFT's. They missed the easy goldrush that was happening when things like NBA Top Shot were popping off.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The only thing the NHL has been ahead of the curve on ever was putting a team in Vegas. They'll coast on that for the next few decades. They'll probably roll out an officially licenced Microsoft Zune next.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

The only thing the NHL has been ahead of the curve on ever was putting a team in Vegas. They'll coast on that for the next few decades. They'll probably roll out an officially licenced Microsoft Zune next.

NHL Hitz 2025 for the N Gage

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah so where the gently caress are my Blackberry & Symbian apps, NHL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Bieksa's been a good addition to sporpsnet imo. He often gives some insight into the personalities of other players like Ferraro does and he also bullies Elliotte Friedman