Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

The only solution is to get rid of the Supreme Court and have a general election for "Court President"

Then abolish the Senate and House and elect a "President of Congress". Each President picks a cabinet and veep.

Thus is born the Triumvirate. As we all know a tripod is the most stable structure, and each office will be held to the same term limits and recall. Each branch lives and works in their President's favorite Smithsonian museum, meeting as a Triumvirate monthly in the reflecting pool under the Washington Monument.

Everything else is as normal, except there's a top age limit of 50 to be elected, and restaurant service is mandatory like the IDF. Also the FDA's resolution that a hotdog is a type of sandwich is added as an amendment to the constitution.

Yeah and a quarter pounder with cheese, thanks

your error is that a hot dog is a type of taco, not a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

scrotus lol

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

If a sandwich is a parallelogram then a hot dog is a square and a taco is a rhombus. Bing bong

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A.o.D. posted:

They are both delicious though and now I want both hotdogs and tacos

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I saw a man eat a 1lb hot dog today.

My taste buds were jealous but my bowels were happy I passed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's a completely haphazard way. Fed LEOs get fed funding.

State Troopers / State LEOs are paid through the state budget.

County Sheriff Offices or County PDs are paid through the county.

City or municipal PDs are paid through the city or towns. However, they sometimes get funding from county if they take over jurisdiction from county PDs.

State, county, and municipal can also all get federal grants for specific things like equipment upgrades (radios, computers, body armor) or for specific tasks (like assigning a guy to a state or region counterdrug task force). There's also federal funding through the national guard that trains state and local cops in counterdrug stuff, with training in everything from more thorough traffic stops, drug identification, online dark web investigations, TECC, to video / audio surveillance to high risk warrants and more.

State and local agencies can also get ex military gear for free. This includes ridiculous poo poo like MRAPs and APCs, to rifles and shotguns for patrol cars. The state and local PDs have to spend a shitload of money on maintaining those vehicles, though, so it's almost always better and more cost effective for an agency to buy an armored Bear Cat armored vehicle rather than accept a feee MRAP they have no clue how to maintain.

It's a haphazard system and states each have their own training councils that set up standards for all police agencies within that state. One states standards might be way more thorough and more training required than another state.

There were 13,947 separate law enforcement agents with at least one full time cop in the US as of 2018. This was down significantly from 17,398 in 2012.

This is absolutely insane.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/police-employee-data
https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/nsleed.pdf

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There were 13,947 separate law enforcement agents with at least one full time cop in the US as of 2018. This was down significantly from 17,398 in 2012.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/topic-pages/police-employee-data

This doesn't necessarily matter, the number of police departments doesn't have to correlate with the number of police officers, nor do the former or latter have to correlate with the level of services provided.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

This doesn't necessarily matter, the number of police departments doesn't have to correlate with the number of police officers, nor do the former or latter have to correlate with the level of services provided.

There's a level of overhead that's duplicated in every department so it's generally less efficient, it creates bunch of overlapping jurisdictions that make navigating the criminal justice system more complicated, and having all of those small departments makes oversight especially difficult which just encourages more corruption.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

loving FINALLY someone here is talking sense goddamn

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
suckpreme court

also I do enjoy when the littlest inconveniences hit people that probably won't actually see consequences, like the FBI showing up at your door and saying NO YOU CAN'T PUT ON PANTS

https://twitter.com/alex_mallin/status/1540132896266231809

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

suckpreme court

also I do enjoy when the littlest inconveniences hit people that probably won't actually see consequences, like the FBI showing up at your door and saying NO YOU CAN'T PUT ON PANTS

Lmao that rules

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Keep in mind there's probably thousands of podunk agencies with a chief, 1 Sergeant, and 10 or fewer officers.

But yeah that's a LOT.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

suckpreme court

Were January 6th run by competent people I'd expect this guy to have long since destroyed all evidence, but I'm betting that not only did they find a stuffed-to-the-brim pink Trapper Keeper with a "MY CRIMES" label on it, he probably has tapes.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FrozenVent posted:

There are departments in smaller towns that don’t pay a living wage or don’t pay full time, but that’s still way down on the list of problems your constituency faces, Stacey.

Or dont pay them at all.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/OccupyDemocrats/status/1540112024918556672?t=2mbWvxsiROw4r7bpCVfTaQ&s=19

THIS is how you make a difference! Remember to VOTE!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a level of overhead that's duplicated in every department so it's generally less efficient, it creates bunch of overlapping jurisdictions that make navigating the criminal justice system more complicated, and having all of those small departments makes oversight especially difficult which just encourages more corruption.

Yeah for sure, there are a lot of positives and negatives to centralizing and decentralizing police powers, I'm generally in favor of decentralizing as much as possible, but regulating to a point which makes sense (IE law enforcement standards, state and federal funding for cooperating in programs and allowing partial oversight and letting third party investigations take place ). Decentralized power allows for choice, and for failures of policy to be pointed out and disregarded and successes to be tested out at a small scale and when successful be adopted elsewhere. It also allows different communities to have different goals and values represented in their departments, through local elections, rather than whoever wins 50.01% of the vote being able to dictate policy for everyone.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think cops should get teacher wages

Seems fair given the risks they face on the job~~~~~

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kesper North posted:

I think cops should get teacher wages

Seems fair given the risks they face on the job~~~~~

Better, give the teachers cop wages. Including the overtime.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Zamujasa posted:

i have an 'x' gender marker on my license

You can tell me to gently caress off, but do you mind telling me what that denotes? I'm asking for edification.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You can tell me to gently caress off, but do you mind telling me what that denotes? I'm asking for edification.

It doesn't mean anything in particular, it's just an option for people who do not identify with the M or F markers for any particular reason.

It's just something that matters to me, personally, but it hasn't particularly had an impact one way or another outside of my personal comfort.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

BRAVO!

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Zamujasa posted:

It doesn't mean anything in particular, it's just an option for people who do not identify with the M or F markers for any particular reason.

It's just something that matters to me, personally, but it hasn't particularly had an impact one way or another outside of my personal comfort.

Thanks for informing me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

Thanks for the clarification I was curious as well, but given my past track record on gender issues I thought I’d come off as a confrontational dick if I had asked. :ohdear:

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Keep in mind there's probably thousands of podunk agencies with a chief, 1 Sergeant, and 10 or fewer officers.

But yeah that's a LOT.

For comparison, the UK has 48 police forces plus the border force. And theres been repeated efforts to reduce that number further. Only 1 is permanently armed and 2 others also have everyone firearm trained but they will only be armed based on the role/location.

Last year across the entire country of 60+ million people the police shot and killed 2 people.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
So given hellworld: I'm guessing that SCOTUS basically ensures OAN and Fox are going to walk away owning all of Dominion's assets on appeal?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I just want to cut in and say that I loathe the occupy democrats twitter account, as well as any other account that shares a similar format. RT IF YOU AGREE

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

IPCRESS posted:

So given hellworld: I'm guessing that SCOTUS basically ensures OAN and Fox are going to walk away owning all of Dominion's assets on appeal?

Nah. Those cases are still very early procedurally and will probably settle negating any appeals.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A.o.D. posted:

I just want to cut in and say that I loathe the occupy democrats twitter account, as well as any other account that shares a similar format. RT IF YOU AGREE

:same:

Really just any clout chasing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Roe's toast.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1540336840334626821?t=j5M7B3WG-zQhlSJ2sDooOA&s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol:

Everything is hosed, but eh at least I have 40K and the Horus Hersey. :smuggo:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CNN just spent a good 5 seconds lingering on a woman holding a sign that said "off with their dicks" lol.

The monkey paw curls yet another finger.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
No, see the court is full of real thoughtful people who deeply respect precedence and jurisprudence.

Not just rightwing assholes. Respect level is basically zero for fantasy dumbasses thrilled about carrying firearms in New York State but ignoring the very real and immediate and longterm other rulings.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So how long until they strike down interracial and gay marriage?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

At least now it’ll be easier for a woman seeking an abortion to defend herself against forced birth fascists.

What a stupid loving country this is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1540339085230968834?s=21&t=4DGEwNoUdGVmsPoXyY5boQ

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So how spicy is this weekend going to get?

People are going to absolutely lose their collective poo poo, on both sides. How bad is this going to get?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

But not Loving v. Virginia.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ASAPI posted:

So how spicy is this weekend going to get?

Mayonnaise level spicy at most.

I am shocked! This was obviously going to happen as soon as the draft leaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Oh look it's just what I expected, I can't wait for my marriage to be annulled and sodomy laws to be put back into place.