Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For me Alyx was 13 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Until You Fall I think perfectly captures the fun and thrill of VR while being relatively simple and approachable.

Agreed.

Also, as a big time Souls series nerd, I feel like it lays some groundwork for as close as you could get to a "Soulslike" native to VR.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Perfect, thanks, gonna get it then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Truga posted:

or using your favourite minecraft launcher to download a pack of 150+ mods

bethesda games are probably the only thing still stuck in 90s modding

I am intimately familiar with minecraft modding (or at least used to be!), what it was like before modpacks and now what it's like after. It very much used to be 90s modding before we all got modpacks going and it's certainly helped that community. Wabbajack rules hard and glad it's finally being embraced.

boloney posted:

I'm aware of what "normal" modding is like, thanks. My post was specifically addressed to the part that says "it installs itself" which is comically false

No, it does ~install itself~, it is absolutely like the already-mentioned modpack modding from minecraft. Yeah you gotta pay a premium to get fast access to the nexus but unfortunately that's just where the mods are. If, I understand this is a big if but I bought a premium lifetime pass ages ago, you have nexus premium, it is literally as close to a one click install as it can be. Give it a place to install, click, copy a set of files over, tweak your settings, go.

Do you know how long we've been waiting for this sort of modding for Bethesda game? Knock yourself out diving into the quagmire of normal modding if you'd like but for me, now, it's wabbajack or nothing. Maybe a little mods on top, as a treat.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

And the music rules in Until You Fall.

After The Fall is such a generic name, especially coming out after Until You Fall. And despite people saying After The Fall is fun, it also looks sadly generic too. I just can't muster 40$ for it. Until You Fall is rad tho buy it

Ebola when was the last time you tested boneworks

I do tend to baby sit first timers though, if you've ever been bouldering I'm essentially spotting them. And I will always leave one of their headphones out so they can communicate/hear. And I don't throw people into the deep end, which is cruel.

my partner's dad thought WW1 Warplanes was insane hehe

I will probably get the WW2 one, doesn't look any different gameplay wise

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wabbajack is confusing me. It's asking for a download location and an install location, and the directions aren't very clear.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wabbajack is confusing me. It's asking for a download location and an install location, and the directions aren't very clear.

They can just be the same location

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Piell posted:

They can just be the same location

I'm just not clear on what that means. Is it a separate file that you download it all into, and then copy over to your skyrim directory?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

I'm just not clear on what that means. Is it a separate file that you download it all into, and then copy over to your skyrim directory?

It will download the mods into the downloads folder and then install them into the install folder. Unless you're going between SSD/regular hard drive and are limited in space there's no real reason to make them different locations. Also once you start the download it should pop up a site that walks you through everything, assuming you use one of the big packs. (Here's the Skyrim FUS one and the Fallout VR Essentials Overhaul for example )

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does Fallout 4 VR include the DLC or do you still have to own the original version's DLC and pretty much install them as mods to the VR version? I didn't love F4 but I think it'd be pretty fun in VR.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Piell posted:

It will download the mods into the downloads folder and then install them into the install folder. Unless you're going between SSD/regular hard drive and are limited in space there's no real reason to make them different locations. Also once you start the download it should pop up a site that walks you through everything, assuming you use one of the big packs. (Here's the Skyrim FUS one and the Fallout VR Essentials Overhaul for example )

Is the install site not the actual game location?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Is the install site not the actual game location?

Nope, Mod organizer handles all the connecting it to a game stuff, it just needs the mods installed in your computer somewhere

Mr E posted:

Does Fallout 4 VR include the DLC or do you still have to own the original version's DLC and pretty much install them as mods to the VR version? I didn't love F4 but I think it'd be pretty fun in VR.

Instructions still say you need the original version's DLC

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

yeah I agree that this part was annoyingly opaque, thankfully the specific modpack i was looking to install had directions directly addressing this

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got my VRCover foam pad for the Q2 elite strap, it goes over the back "head cup". It's a lot thinner than the pictures make it look, but after trying it on it feels better than it looks, so that's good.

The slot the top headstrap goes through isn't really centered, which amusingly I see is also the case on the installation video if you look closely, so the material bunches up on one side of the strap hole.

On one hand it seems it will adequately solve a comfort problem I had, but on the other hand it was almost $50 CAD in the end (item, shipping, taxes) -- plus some weeks of waiting -- and I'm not feeling it was really "worth" all that. It's always tempting to just mash BUY on something to solve a problem, though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

forest spirit posted:

Ebola when was the last time you tested boneworks

Oh idk like 6mo to a year? If something changed ill happily boot it up today (its installed) and check it out. But like, the 14 hours I put into it already kinda soured me on playing more than 30ish min at a time tbh.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Anyone have any idea why Myst VR would look really low-res and grainy over both Air Link and VD? Running through Oculus, not Steam VR. It looks amazing and runs smoothly with everything maxed in desktop mode, and I don't have this issue with any other games over wireless, but Myst played like that looks worse than the native Quest version does.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

chippy posted:

Anyone have any idea why Myst VR would look really low-res and grainy over both Air Link and VD? Running through Oculus, not Steam VR. It looks amazing and runs smoothly with everything maxed in desktop mode, and I don't have this issue with any other games over wireless, but Myst played like that looks worse than the native Quest version does.

I was having this problem with FO4 VR when I finally got it up and running today.
Found that in the SteamVR settings for FO4VR to turn the resolution up.
Set mine at 200% and every looked good again.

I was having problems getting FallUI (suggested on the reddit must haves)working with FO4 and every time I tried to access the pipboy it would CTD or it just wouldnt show me any inventory.
Finally uninstalled its 8-10 mods and am running vanilla pipboy.
Default pipboy looks like crap but at least it works.
Spent hours trying to get that to work yesterday.
Still cant seem to get the hands mod working right (Frik). I just kept randomly opening the pipboy clicking on menu items.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I highly recommend deactivating the wrist pip boy as it's a mess, there's a setting somewhere that just opens a menu Iike in the original game.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
A quick Wander trip report:

My siblings and I had a spare Quest between us, so for my mothers birthday today we decided to take advantage of the Google Street View VR application, Wander, and its multiplayer mode.

We basically just set the party stuff up for her, set her headset to follow us, only showed her how to point in the app (you just point in real life, basically) and took her on a journey through all the different places she has lived/worked in up until now, and drat did she love it.

I can honestly say it was some of the most fun I've seen her have. Her taking us through the route she would take when walking to school and excitedly pointing out the houses she remembers TP'ing 50 years ago (which was a completely new story to me) was more entertaining than another lunch or dinner, too.

Your mileage may very and all that, but we all enjoyed ourselves and because I set it up I'm the favourite son, for at least a little while.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

For those that use Sidequest.
The newest version can be installed directly on the Oculus making it so you have to plug it into your computer a lot less.
But now if you want to run something like Doom 3, you would sideload the app, plug it in to you computer and Sidequest would recognize your steam folder and install the files onto the visor for you.

Its the new beta version on the Sidequest site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdaqVfJeyy0

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 25, 2022

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I wish more games were like No Man’s Sky. It’s just really nice being able to re-download it from Steam, toss on the HMD, and tootle around for a few hours flying around and checking out new things.

I get the same sort of quarterly urge to pick up Skyrim or Fallout but, even with Wabbajack, the whole process of figuring out mods and having updates inevitably break your old save makes me give up before I even launch the game.

Anyways check out NMS if you haven’t in a while. The new stuff like Leviathans and solar ships are pretty drat cool in VR.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Frobbe posted:

Have you enabled untrusted URLs?

I think I have. Is there a way to check it after its done?

Could just be that VR Chat is buggy. Could be because there’s 35 people in the room.
Quest native version doesnt seem to work at all as far as the movies playing.

I only just started using the search button and discovered a whole world of rooms, beyond just whats on the menu screen. The Just Dance game that senses everyones movements and scores everyone, thats cool.

Now i’m on the fence with Skyrim VR since its $20.
I’m not a big fan of mods and the rabbit hole you can go down.
But people say its garbage without mods, and the best VR game with mods.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

Now i’m on the fence with Skyrim VR since its $20.
I’m not a big fan of mods and the rabbit hole you can go down.
But people say its garbage without mods, and the best VR game with mods.

Still $14.50 at Indiegala.
https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr/611670

I havent even tried Skyrim yet but FO4 has been great.
Everything seems so much bigger in vr, even radroachs startled me.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I always meant to go back for Fallout, after FKIR was announced.

my plan was to mod in a bunch of cryptids, so I could stumble upon sirenhead or something. afaik there are a bunch of creepy mods I want to try. the idea of playing a cursed fo4 in VR is appealing

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

OgNar posted:

For those that use Sidequest.
The newest version can be installed directly on the Oculus making it so you have to plug it into your computer a lot less.
But now if you want to run something like Doom 3, you would sideload the app, plug it in to you computer and Sidequest would recognize your steam folder and install the files onto the visor for you.

Its the new beta version on the Sidequest site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdaqVfJeyy0

This sounds great. I've been meaning to get sidequest going but I've been lazy about it so I'll have to finally try it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFNVe4F7WAA

is this the first "real game" with full hand tracking support?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Seems about as real as hand physics lab which is doing something besides pointers.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
That space RTS game (Starlight Something?) had hand tracking half a year ago but it was also mostly pointer interaction and not very fun. Much like the game itself, unfortunately.

So far, I’ve only really appreciated hand tracking in two games and, oddly enough, both were PCVR.

MSFS works surprisingly well with hand tracking because the whole “pinch to interact” thing feels reasonably authentic for flipping toggle switches in a cockpit. You have to jump through a few hoops with OpenXR Toolkit to get it working but it’s worth checking out.

WiiU and 3DS emulation also benefit quite a lot from hand tracking (via Virtual Desktop) because you can just reach out and interact with the emulated touchscreens when necessary without having to put down your gamepad to find and wake up the Oculus controllers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My Quest2 has been collecting dust for about a year until this past week. Has there been any serious alternative to Google Earth VR for Q2 native that's emerged or am I still just pipe dreaming?

I'm in the Wooorld beta but it's not doing it for me, I guess i'm under NDA so I can't talk about it.
Wander is good but it's just streetview. It hits the spot for now though, for a good 15 minute jaunt around random parts of the world. I like to plop myself down in some random spot in Japan and see how long it takes me to walk around and find a train station or police box, then pop the headset off and call it a day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just got Wander for $5 and it’s a pretty good approximation of google earth (it uses google street view data) and runs natively on the quest.

It also has multiplayer? I believe you can jump in a room with friends and all go to the same places

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Leathal posted:

MSFS works surprisingly well with hand tracking because the whole “pinch to interact” thing feels reasonably authentic for flipping toggle switches in a cockpit. You have to jump through a few hoops with OpenXR Toolkit to get it working but it’s worth checking out.

Oh I'll have to try this. I tried out the motion controller support when they first added it and it just felt awkward and I went back to using a mouse. As long as it's reasonably accurate I imagine it'll feel better than waving a controller in the direction of the switch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just got Wander for $5 and it’s a pretty good approximation of google earth (it uses google street view data) and runs natively on the quest.

It also has multiplayer? I believe you can jump in a room with friends and all go to the same places

Yeah, Wander is definitely my go-to, but it's streetview only. Missing the fun 3D world map :[

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Can you just go places and hang out in Wander? I thought it was some sort of game that used street view, so I never tried it out.

I use Google earth just for street view, I don't care about the rest. I've moved around more than the average person (3 countries, 2 continents so far) so I like to go back to some of the old places I lived in VR and be like "oh drat! I remember this!" But the Google earth ui leaves.... A lot to be desired.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It has game-like elements, but it’s really just Street View VR.

You can do network multi-user streetview, and there’s some kind of weird “home” area that I can’t figure out a purpose for, but really it’s just a fun app for me to go touring around 15 minutes before I forget my quest exists for another month or two.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Picked up Ragnarock today, that was a pretty fun time!

I had a bad first impression through no fault of the game, Steam VR started up all fucky and my left controller wasn't getting tracked properly. I had one little gimp arm that couldn't reach the drums so I had to hunch down and kind of contort my body. But it was just subtle enough that I kept blaming myself for missing even on Easy, until I looked down and noticed my left arm was further down than my right when I held both arms up together.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I thought having Google Earth VR, that Wander was inferior, so it never interested me, but after seeing it was on sale I learned about the handful of features it has that Google Earth VR doesn't, so I got it, and have enjoyed it for many hours so far.

The multiplayer is probably the best thing about it. I'm not big on socializing with strangers online, but Wander makes it really easy to chat with others because it focuses the conversation on what you're all looking at, and about places you've been to, so there's no uncomfortable silences. Plus all the users seem to be mature adults. The other night a british guy gave us a tour of castles and tourist spots in the UK, and he gave us a lot of information I wouldn't have gotten on my own.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

ChocNitty posted:

The other night a british guy gave us a tour of castles and tourist spots in the UK, and he gave us a lot of information I wouldn't have gotten on my own.

Ok that’s just awesome. Guess I’m picking up Wander after work.

Also has anyone else tried out the Ruinsmagus demo on Steam yet? I was kind of excited about it because the various VR sites kept putting out previews that painted it as being potentially the first decent JRPG for VR. But after about 30 minutes of the demo, it feels more like a rogue lite but without the rogue elements.

Ie: a single bland-ish corridor dungeon where you have to defeat all the enemies in each room to progress followed by a tanky boss every 5-6 rooms.

Maybe it switches up later on, but I’m getting absolutely no JRPG vibes other than the anime characters and the (honestly somehow endearing) Japanese voiceovers. Graphics are pretty good and the motion controls are generally decent - other than being forced to use snap turning and a weird dedicated 180 degree turnaround button.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Perestroika posted:

In case you're looking for a VR fitness thing, I've been playing X-Booster lately and it's working out quite well for me. It's pretty much just a more intensive Beat Sabre, but it's doing that quite well. The main thing that sets it apart is that it lets you upload your own mp3s and use those, which is the main thing that keeps me playing it instead of the competitors. Also it's surprisingly good at tricking you into doing squats.

I bought this the other day and have been using it.
Pretty decent with my list of music rather than theirs.
I liked the free VR Workout also which supposedly has the ability to make your own playlists but none of my MP3s would show up.
Put them in \Music\Workout as it said but nothing appears.
I kinda liked that one better too.
I tried the Steam Demo for Oh Shape which was pretty cool.
But the demo doesnt seem to have any settings for slowing it down or adding a little leeway.
The demo kept marking me as hitting barriers and not getting the correct shape even though I was sure I was.
I can only assume i'm not in shape enough for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Got the Varjo Aero, but I might send it back. The lenses and clarity are absolutely amazing and I love the fit, but the vertical FOV is really tight compared to the Index and even the Quest 2. I'll take another day or two to decide.