Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Does anyone know anything about the person/company who is making this? https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/210236

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like they make a lot of sofubi so I imagine Gatos does.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Justin Ishmael. Former head of Mondo, runs his own company, ISH, now.

I’d imagine these will be of great quality.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

The Alec Guinness one? I've also been watching that for a long time and noticed the outfit in the finale is spot on.

Yeah, that’s the one. It’s funny, that particular design has such a bizarre history. It was a statue first as part of a line of other Mythos kind of “what if” costumes, then it was re-used in the early Disney Marvel Star Wars things for a flashback where Luke is reading Ben’s journal, then this sideshow figure came out, and now it’s literal live-action canon.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

blast0rama posted:

Justin Ishmael. Former head of Mondo, runs his own company, ISH, now.

I’d imagine these will be of great quality.

Thankee

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Speaking of Bens...

This is what I was hoping for when I passed on his Spider-Man outfit. Give me the Amazing Hoody-Man.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Davros1 posted:

How difficult is it to change out a battery on a Hot Toy? Maybe they should just offer an option to ship the product without a battery?

But then the toy wouldn't be very hot, now would it. :smugbert:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Mantenna is here

He's great. One of my favorite vintage figures. If I had a complaint, it would be that the Origins one has spring loaded eyes so they don't stay up without holding down the switch.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

That guy looks great! I love Mantenna, that was one of my favorite vintage toys too. As a big She-Ra fan the Horde were always my favorite villains. I always thought it was funny how they turned Mantenna, who is maybe the scariest looking toy out of the bunch, into a bumbling comic relief character on the show.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That guy looks great! I love Mantenna, that was one of my favorite vintage toys too. As a big She-Ra fan the Horde were always my favorite villains. I always thought it was funny how they turned Mantenna, who is maybe the scariest looking toy out of the bunch, into a bumbling comic relief character on the show.

I love that they gave him 4 actual fully articulated legs. Now can they do Modulok?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I decided that my life did need a white armor Master Chief.

I’m calling all of them Master Chief because that’s what the packaging did in those early days. Nobody calling them Spartan MK.5 on any merch back then.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Speaking of Bens...

This is what I was hoping for when I passed on his Spider-Man outfit. Give me the Amazing Hoody-Man.

god drat it. i've passed up every spider man mafex because i simply dont need a new line to collect. but now i need this. and if i need this i also need spidey and venom. this slope just got real slippery

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Burkion posted:

Does anyone know where to get NECA style action figure stands? Or 1/10th scale stands I guess. I'm going to need some for a display or two I have in mind but I don't know where to go about looking for them or what good ones even are

If you want just the discs with the peg holes NECA actually makes some. I have some but they're not very good for top heavy figures.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

“Wonder bread” he-man will be available for 5 minutes tomorrow morning

https://creations.mattel.com/products/masters-of-the-universe-origins-wun-dar-figure-hdy24

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Nerd Of Prey posted:

A+ Superman. He quickly earned a spot on my favorite toys shelf.

(MAFEX Hush, eBay score.)

Even though it won't be visible in most display poses, I really appreciate the big yellow S on his cape. That's a detail I miss in designs where it's left out.

This figure feels like a proper update to the old Kenner Super Powers figure that I loved so much as a kid, in a way that no other Superman figure really has. The colors, proportions, the really clean paint, the big cloth cape. He's just exactly cartoony enough. The perfect 80s Superman. I utterly destroyed two of those Kenner Superman figures in my youth, just by playing with them until the paint wore off and the arms fell off. I've always known that I could hop on eBay and find one that's not destroyed, but in a way I feel like there's no point in that. Those guys did their job, and what I've really been wanting is a modern 6" figure that has the same vibe. None of the Mattel ones really did it for me. This guy is perfect, though.

Dude, if there was MOTU Origins type line of the OG Kenner super powers figures with better articulation I’d be so fuckin’ stoked. Those are in my mind the best drat sculpts those characters are ever going to have. Thanks Kirby! And Mark Evanier or whoever got him that gig in the early ‘80’s. I don’t even really like DC for the most part but I loved the poo poo out of that line, just making my own stories up. Probably why I was disappointed when I got around to actually reading DC, my little kid stories were way more compelling! :)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

“Wonder bread” he-man will be available for 5 minutes tomorrow morning

https://creations.mattel.com/products/masters-of-the-universe-origins-wun-dar-figure-hdy24

I can't decide if I actually need that guy. I might take a real casual look tomorrow and if it happens to be sold out I'll say "oh well." That character is an interesting little bit of toy apocrypha but there's no emotional attachment there. One thing Scott Neitlich deserves some credit for on his weird little youtube channel is he actually did the research and figured out where the gently caress that guy came from: Mattel had some kind of deal where you could get a "free figure" by sending in proofs of purchase from MOTU figures, without really specifying what figure it would be, and that was the guy they mailed out. They just put a cheap He-Man repaint in a plastic bag with some random accessories; not all of them came with the same ones, which is why there were conflicting stories about what he came with. Apparently Mattel did this proof of purchase gimmick to try to clear out some retail stock of guys that weren't selling, but it kinda backfired because people didn't buy the ones that were pegwarming everywhere. The promo didn't actually have anything to do with Wonder Bread, despite the rumors, but the nickname kinda stuck.

And if ya don't know, now ya know.

In other news: Now that the auction finally ended, I can reveal the eBay thing I've been after for the past week:

The Maxx is my favorite comic book ever. It's a real work of outsider art that kind of landed rear end-backwards in fame due to the association with Image Comics, one of the absolute strangest things that's ever been put on paper (or TV), and an absolute masterpiece in my personal opinion. It completely changed my perception of what a comic book could be, and led me to seek out a lot of other interesting stuff that I might not have otherwise.

It remains a little weird that a mass market toy based on The Maxx ever existed, but I'm so glad it does. When the original McFarlane figure came out, I was calling the local Kay Bee stores every week when their new stuff came in and asking if they had it. He was one per case, and I could not miss out on a real-life action figure of my favorite character. When they actually said "yes," I was over the moon, I had them hold it for me and raced down there. It was a magical day. I still have that guy of course, and it's still one of my favorite toys ever, even though it's barely articulated. I've never not had that guy on display.

Upon my most recent re-read of the entire Maxx comic series, I got to thinking I really ought to have a carded Maxx for my collection, because that figure is so special to me. I've been trawling eBay for a while looking for a good one, and that's where I learned about this variant that was packed with 4 Isz instead of just one. It was an FAO Schwartz exclusive, apparently. Sometimes instead of the regular "bonus bendy Isz" sticker it had a red sticker that actually advertised that it came with four, but that was pretty inconsistent; I see about half and half. It's not too hard to get the exclusive one at a reasonable price; he goes for about $50, no more than the standard release.

I did try to snag this guy with a lowball offer, which timed out without the guy responding, and I had one other bidder that drove the price up a few bucks, so that didn't work out. I mentioned a few days ago I caught an obscure musical reference in the seller's username; it was "veryverygreasy" which I instantly recognized as a reference to David Lindley's very silly reggae-tinged cover of Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London." My mom is a big Lindley fan (he is a pretty amazing guitarist) and that record was pretty much on repeat when I was a kid. Anyway I hoped the guy would cut me a deal if I shouted that out, but no dice. I still got a fair deal on it though, and I'm still happy to buy a Maxx figure off a Lindley fan; it makes a strange kind of sense.

I also tried putting in a bid on a really cheap loose Maxx, but somebody outbid me and I opted not to fight it. Might change my mind since there's still half a day left on the auction, but I don't know how bad I need another loose one. It does come with a black Isz and mine had a white one; those guys can be pricey just on their own. I've also always thought it would be cool to do a really detailed custom paint job on that old Maxx figure, to really do justice to the (very good) sculpt, and to Sam Kieth's art.

P.S. I have some other cool Maxx stuff too. I also own the incredibly rare and valuable Shocker Toys Maxx figure, which I bought direct when it first came out, and a really lovely Maxx polystone statue gifted by a very kind friend. And I still have the weird abridged VHS release of the animated series, which was kind of rad because they basically cut it into a two hour movie. And of course I got the DVD with the Sam Kieth commentaries the minute it came out. There's more esoteric Maxx merch I could try to hunt down but it's all pretty expensive; people who love that comic, we REALLY love that comic.
(Edit: Totally forgot I also have, somewhere, a promotional poster for Wizard Magazine with The Maxx on it; it's the issue 3 cover art blown up huge. Local comic shop guy knew I was a big fan and let me have it.)

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Dude, if there was MOTU Origins type line of the OG Kenner super powers figures with better articulation I’d be so fuckin’ stoked. Those are in my mind the best drat sculpts those characters are ever going to have. Thanks Kirby! And Mark Evanier or whoever got him that gig in the early ‘80’s. I don’t even really like DC for the most part but I loved the poo poo out of that line, just making my own stories up. Probably why I was disappointed when I got around to actually reading DC, my little kid stories were way more compelling! :)

gently caress yeah, dude. Amazing toy line. I had a ton of them when I was little and I trashed them all. No regrets. They were truly loved.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 24, 2022

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Fuckin’ A NoP! That’s badass! I never knew McFarlane even made one. Is the Shocker Toys Maxx from the same line that did Madman and Savage Dragon? I’m still kicking myself for not finding the money to get those. I also loved the Maxx, whatever happened to Sam Keith? Anyway I’m in a desperate fight against clutter in my tiny rear end trailer but think I may need to start scouring eBay for the aforementioned three. To hang out with the Rocketeer!

As a side note has anyone who knew him better heard from Rhyno? I hope he got some help.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Fuckin’ A NoP! That’s badass! I never knew McFarlane even made one. Is the Shocker Toys Maxx from the same line that did Madman and Savage Dragon? I’m still kicking myself for not finding the money to get those. I also loved the Maxx, whatever happened to Sam Keith?

Shocker toys was a really shady company and folded pretty fast, but they did actually produce some good toys. Their Scud is great. Their Maxx is not as nice looking as the old McFarlane one, actually a pretty bad sculpt, easily their worst figure, but is huge (completely out of scale with the rest of the line) and decently articulated.

If you're interested to know about Sam Kieth, this guy on Youtube did a really exhaustively researched 5-part documentary series where he interviewed a lot of Kieth's collaborators directly to figure out what the heck happemed to that guy. Short answer is he's deeply reclusive but still working. The long version is pretty fascinating!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

As a side note has anyone who knew him better heard from Rhyno? I hope he got some help.

I second this!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hey lightsaber thread: if someone would want a sturdy lightsaber that can actually like, hit things, who’s the go-to maker? Legit asking for a friend (I personally am fine with non action replicas)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hey lightsaber thread: if someone would want a sturdy lightsaber that can actually like, hit things, who’s the go-to maker? Legit asking for a friend (I personally am fine with non action replicas)

Vire Sabers or Darkwolf Custom.

They both resell a Chinese brand called LGT that’s amazing value for the cost.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

whatever happened to Sam Keith?

He's worked with DC quite a bit since The Maxx comic ended in 1998. There's a Batman / Maxx crossover mini (Batman/The Maxx: Arkham Dreams)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
He also posts on his blog almost daily.

http://samkieth.blogspot.com/

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I second this!

I DM’d him last week, he’s alive and well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think McFarlane also did a bag of Isz (Iszes? Iszs? Iszi?) as a mail in accessory pack. Might want to be on the look-out for that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Davros1 posted:

I think McFarlane also did a bag of Isz (Iszes? Iszs? Iszi?) as a mail in accessory pack. Might want to be on the look-out for that.

They did! It was the only way to get the red one.

Maxx was my guy when I’d play with my friend who was really into Spawn figures.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Yeah there’s tons of those on eBay, but I’ve never been too tempted because the price tends to be a little high. Maybe someday I’ll spot a good deal.

Edit: I think part of what holds me back is, do I display the actual bag for the novelty, or open it up and display all the little guys with Maxx? I don't always display the one I have...

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 24, 2022

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Joe Fisto posted:

I DM’d him last week, he’s alive and well.

Thanks for taking care of this and letting us in the thread know. We don't want to have a ton of people messaging him and being a burden, so you reaching out is appreciated on our behalf.

Aside from that, seeing the Van Helsing Splinter teaser we got is making me want to actually dip my toes back into NECA Turtles a little. I had wanted to grab Usagi as well, but at the NECA direct order time, I chose getting the 2 packs over him. Waiting on Target for Usagi, but Splinter, I'll probably order that direct when it drops.

I'm still all in on Super7 as my turtle line, but NECA is pulling me back a little. Hell even the Loot Crate figures I bought a ~year ago is finally starting to ship!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Thanks for taking care of this and letting us in the thread know. We don't want to have a ton of people messaging him and being a burden, so you reaching out is appreciated on our behalf.

Of course.

Got my Wun-Dar, apparently it sold out in 3 minutes. I bought two hoping I could trade the second for a Kol-Darr since I missed him.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

Maxx was my guy when I’d play with my friend who was really into Spawn figures.

I find this very heartwarming! I was in high school when I started reading The Maxx, I think the toy came out when I was 16, so I was a little past the point of sitting on the floor with a friend playing Maxx, but it makes me happy to know someone did that.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Got my preorder for Wun-dar in. Weirdly shortly after getting the confirmation email I got another email saying it was on backorder and I had to email them to keep my preorder.

Anyone else get an email like that?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

Got my preorder for Wun-dar in. Weirdly shortly after getting the confirmation email I got another email saying it was on backorder and I had to email them to keep my preorder.

I did too. Same thing happened with a different figure before. They’re good at what they do.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Djarum posted:

He also posts on his blog almost daily.

http://samkieth.blogspot.com/

Thanks for this! I was slightly worried it would be a "these are my political views, gently caress you" blog but it's just artwork.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I got the Revan saber my wife got me for Father's day. It looks nice. It is very light, I think its mostly aluminuium. Compared to Rey's and Darksaber it feels less than, but its still nice. It's purple and I like purple.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Unbearably Stinky
Jan 8, 2022

Shiftypenguin posted:

I got an order confirmation email, and then got an out of stock, order canceled email eight hours later. Very cool.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Unbearably Stinky posted:

I got an order confirmation email, and then got an out of stock, order canceled email eight hours later. Very cool.

How hard is it to make enough to meet demand Mattel? Fuckin hell.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Unbearably Stinky posted:

Looks like folks who ordered from the second batch are reporting cancelation emails. Mine is from the first batch and so far it's just been the back order email.

We'll see tho...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Joe Fisto posted:

I got the Revan saber my wife got me for Father's day. It looks nice. It is very light, I think its mostly aluminuium. Compared to Rey's and Darksaber it feels less than, but its still nice. It's purple and I like purple.

I've always really liked that hilt design. It's a bit like Qui-Gon's, and Ben Solo and Leia's sabers kinda borrow the "fins" from it. V. cool.

I'm starting to go down the rabbit hole of really fancy, high end lightsaber replicas with programmable sound fonts and stuff. But I'm 1000% sure whatever I get would end up being treated exactly the same as the ones I already have that are a quart of the price. They'd get played with once and then sit on a shelf as a display piece. It's comforting.

Unbearably Stinky
Jan 8, 2022
The email assured me they were very sorry, AND they gave me a $10 off promo code to make up for the cancellation!

If I use the $10 on other figures that are likely to sell out in my cart while I enter the promo code, I can keep using the code forever! It's basically unlimited free money, the way I see it. Thanks Mattel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I got that Maxx figure a few years back at a flea market for ten bucks. Mine only has the one Isz though. I got it intending to get it signed at comic con by Sam Keith as this was a couple months before he was going to appear. When the day came his table was in the velvet rope section and was like four hours late. I don't know if he even came at all that day. That was also the last time I went to Boston comic con because it really sucked that year and then it got sold to Fan Expo and basically made the focus on paying 100 bucks to stand next to D list celebrities for three seconds instead of actual comic book creators and merchants. I ended up opening the figure and just putting it out among my other stuff.