Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
What happened to that apparent Starmer Covid rules violation announcement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

In WW3 I'm looking forward to the Germans coming to rescue us from the Americans for a change

Nah not really it's gonna be nuclear armageddon :D

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

bustin keaton posted:

What happened to that apparent Starmer Covid rules violation announcement?

He bribed them with a sack of wet eggs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade plutonium is the universal liberator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Even though we kind of knew it was coming with those leaks I am still stunned.

The bigger concern is Thomas's statement that they plan to overturn Obergefell, Lawrence and Griswold on the same grounds as Roe. That's same sex marriage, same sex intimacy and access to contraception. As I said to a friend of mine in Toledo: don't call it America any more. It's Gilead.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Give me enough Pervitin or some modern upgraded super meth, and I'll take the whole world in one blitzkrieg. Don't need logistics if we get it done within a week.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

sebzilla posted:

Largest majority (in %) since 2001.

So, yeah, cherry-picking but technically correct.

it's technically correct but they also sacrificed tiverton so the lib dems would agree to stand down, despite being the third party in both seats

that tiverton libdem swing is 30% with labour having nearly -16%. If their electoral plan is just to split the uk in half and win a GE with a -3.1% swing then lmao

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm just optimistic that there is enough professional opposition to the repeal of Wade vs Roe that abortion remains mostly de facto available, if conducted more informally. There do seem to be a lot of activists both inside and outside of medicine who saw this coming a long time ago and have planned for the eventuality, though obviously it's still symbolically extremely poo poo and it is going to make things even harder for people who really do not need things to be harder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The republicans would absolutely love an opportunity to start purging people though, so I would expect laws that allow them to round up anybody suspected of facilitating one.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
it's not hyperbole to say there are multiple armed groups gagging to be let off the chain to conduct arrow cross/contra etc style purges and it only takes one event and one state power to look away and it'll kick off for real

kyle rittenhouse may not have been convicted in the end but he still had the inconvenience of having his life turned upside down and that's the only thing really holding america together at this point

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm just optimistic that there is enough professional opposition to the repeal of Wade vs Roe that abortion remains mostly de facto available, if conducted more informally. There do seem to be a lot of activists both inside and outside of medicine who saw this coming a long time ago and have planned for the eventuality, though obviously it's still symbolically extremely poo poo and it is going to make things even harder for people who really do not need things to be harder.
There won't be a mass return to the horrors of pre-Roe just because misoprostol is widely licensed now as an anti-ulcer drug, and there's going to be networks of pills-by-post activists along with that.

There will be a bunch of preventable deaths on the operating table because of surgeons afraid to abort to save the patient, like happened in Ireland, and there will be a bunch of going after marginalized people suspected of 'procuring a miscarriage' like used to be the case in England though, so that's plenty lovely enough.

There'll also be a bunch of really bad discriminatory laws on marriage, contraception, and LGBT existence in the pipeline in some states knowing that nobody is going to risk taking them to court.

Of course the big fish for them besides theocracy is a return to race segregation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

but no, this is genuinely a really loving awful thing and the existence of the USA is one of the few things that makes me glad to have been born on tiny hell island rather than in giant hell superpower
I mean you say that, but buried under all the dead cats being flung about is the announcement that the tories are trying to push the replacement to the human rights act through parliament as of yesterday, so I would fully expect the UK to dive down the same hole given a few years.

Especially choice is the statement that they will be looking at "how rights are balanced against each other, such as freedom of expression and privacy" which I can only assume means an enshrined right of prima noctis except for toby young and gcse students.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 24, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah I'm increasingly of the opinion that, in the context of the USA in particular, left-wing agitating to ban guns outright might be incredibly shortsighted. It's all going to kick off one of these days and, whether because they keep it off the radar or because government forces turn a blind eye, the far right will be armed, legally or not. I'd certainly be getting myself a few guns, joining something like the SRA, and brushing up on my marksmanship if I lived somewhere like Texas right now.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Rustybear posted:

it's not hyperbole to say there are multiple armed groups gagging to be let off the chain to conduct arrow cross/contra etc style purges and it only takes one event and one state power to look away and it'll kick off for real

kyle rittenhouse may not have been convicted in the end but he still had the inconvenience of having his life turned upside down and that's the only thing really holding america together at this point

Yeah really inconvenient, aside from going on the classic public-speeches-to-morons tours like Obama and Tony, he has his own video game in development. He is going to earn off this for the rest of his life.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I'm increasingly of the opinion that, in the context of the USA in particular, left-wing agitating to ban guns outright might be incredibly shortsighted. It's all going to kick off one of these days and, whether because they keep it off the radar or because government forces turn a blind eye, the far right will be armed, legally or not. I'd certainly be getting myself a few guns, joining something like the SRA, and brushing up on my marksmanship if I lived somewhere like Texas right now.

The only thing that will matter in that situation is whose side the police are on. The news, in that respect, is bad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there is a breakdown in society to the point that people are just shooting each other in the street then any sort of leftist organization is going to be utterly wiped out regardless of how many guns they have, and every day they persist in that fantasy that they can overthrow the government but in a good way, more children get shot to death because they are all too busy perpetuating the idea that you can and should shoot your way out of every problem and the only way to end an arms race is to win it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ThomasPaine posted:

but no, this is genuinely a really loving awful thing and the existence of the USA is one of the few things that makes me glad to have been born on tiny hell island rather than in giant hell superpower
What happens in the US now, we'll get a few years later. :smith:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

If there is a breakdown in society to the point that people are just shooting each other in the street then any sort of leftist organization is going to be utterly wiped out regardless of how many guns they have, and every day they persist in that fantasy that they can overthrow the government but in a good way, more children get shot to death because they all ultimately perpetuate the idea that you can and should shoot your way out of every problem and the only way to end an arms race is to win it.

Yeah Marx wasn't some prophet who we have to follow, I know what he had to say about guns, but we can and should accept the material conditions around guns and the ownership of them have changed, and our tactics should change. No modern government is going to be afraid of a few hundred leftists with rifles. But they will love their brownshirts mysteriously ending up with guns and exact intel on where all the commies are. We're far beyond the idea of "Stop quoting laws to men with swords", because they're not swords now, they're flying jets with godlike power, and it's not just some oil and a leather scabbard needed to maintain them. The scale has changed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also just, the scale of destruction that can happen in a society armed to the teeth and suffused with the individualistic ideology that comes hand in hand with gun culture, it's on the scale of atomic weapons, you can't say "well it'll be bloody but we'll survive" because you are talking the total end of society and quite possibly habitability if people end up reasonably sure that going outside is going to get them blown away with an assault rifle. You can't win that fight, there is no winning it, it starting is the end, a critical collapse of the basic ability of human beings to communicate and cooperate with one another under the weight of society wide paranoia and lethality.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 24, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If there is a breakdown in society to the point that people are just shooting each other in the street then any sort of leftist organization is going to be utterly wiped out regardless of how many guns they have, and every day they persist in that fantasy that they can overthrow the government but in a good way, more children get shot to death because they are all too busy perpetuating the idea that you can and should shoot your way out of every problem and the only way to end an arms race is to win it.
Also that posting in a leftist thread about collecting guns is pretty much a guaranteed ticket to Gitmo / Rwanda, depending on your country of origin, whereas you can be right wing and mount an AA gun on your house in the US and the worst you'll get is a polite request to fill out the correct paperwork.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Tell that to Cuba. If you have popular support you can win.

Look, I'm not naive here. I don't think the US left is in any shape to take on the combined forces of the govt and the far right, mostly because the actual left is utterly miniscule and the mainstream 'liberals' are a bunch of lib dems. Nonetheless, that just says the actual left needs to do something to recruit and win hearts and minds. They won't, of course, but that's what they need to do. And if they did, there's no reason they couldn't become a genuine political threat. There's a reason the US govt was so scared of the Black Panthers back in the day, to the point that they CIA'd them good and proper.

Also, it's not just about focusing on shooting your way out of problems. It's defensive. If the fash are armed and want to existentially wipe you out, and they are in a position to do so, they will. Having a few guns and knowing how to use them stops them just turning up and executing everyone they thinks smells like a pinko.

There's a lot you can do through non-violent means, but you turn up to a gunfight with a baseball bat and some catchy slogans, you're not getting very far and all your lovely ideas are moot.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah Marx wasn't some prophet who we have to follow, I know what he had to say about guns, but we can and should accept the material conditions around guns and the ownership of them have changed, and our tactics should change. No modern government is going to be afraid of a few hundred leftists with rifles. But they will love their brownshirts mysteriously ending up with guns and exact intel on where all the commies are. We're far beyond the idea of "Stop quoting laws to men with swords", because they're not swords now, they're flying jets with godlike power, and it's not just some oil and a leather scabbard needed to maintain them. The scale has changed.

This is also true. A few rifles will not, obviously, do much against an F-16, and new strategies that aren't just shooting at each other are required. Nonetheless, while working on these new strategies, I think being able to put up a bare minimum of physical force resistance to actual death squads rather than singing kum-by-ah at them is probably a prerequisite to not getting everyone killed.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 24, 2022

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah i try not to bring cspam doom-posting to the UKMT, but like here's the texas attorney general signalling he's going to enforce laws that mandate life in prison for any doctor convicted of involvement in an abortion (the guy has been indicted and arrested for securities fraud but the case against him mysteriously hasn't proceeded in 5+ years); this is following on from his directing social services to start pressing charges against any parents of trans kids they find are receiving any gender-affirming care for child abuse
https://twitter.com/KenPaxtonTX/status/1540339215581470723meanwhile, in missouri, where they also instantly criminalized abortion within minutes of the ruling, the leading candidate for the senate election in november is the former governor who was forced to resign after performing non-consensual s&m acts on his mistress and whose ex-wife has documented evidence of him abusing her and their children. he's currently 10 points clear in the polls, and here's a campaign ad he recently put out about dealing with members of his own part who he finds insuffiently loyal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZ2Y6fAq8o

also the supreme court still has a few more decisions to come next week where they're going to rule the government can't set any limits on environmental pollution, and allow mandatory christian prayers in state schools

really never thought i'd ever move back to the UK, but i'm half-seriously looking at ways to scrape together funds that would get my spouse a visa (probably just in time for the gulf stream to collapse haha)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

Robert Evans talks about this a lot on his behind the bastards podcast. And I'm reluctantly starting to concede he might be right.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ThomasPaine posted:

Tell that to Cuba. If you have popular support you can win.

You can't compare revolutionary Cuba to the modern surveillance state. There will be no Granma Landing on the Thames, the material conditions are completely different. The boat would be destroyed before it landed on the shore.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Like the idea of us arming ourselves equally to the imperialists would mean leftists having things like satellites and missiles, and I'm sorry, but when leftists did have and use those, I'm not sure most of the posters in this thread were a fan of that arsenal? :confused:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If a bunch of Afghan peasants can kick the US Military's rear end why can't the most heavily armed country on the planet?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

If a bunch of Afghan peasants can kick the US Military's rear end why can't the most heavily armed country on the planet?

The US military had no real objective beyond protecting poppy fields. If you are fighting over actual objectives, then your guerillas will not take them in open battle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like people are forgetting the words of the classic leftist anthem:
They got the TV, we got the truth
They own the judges and we got the proof
We got hella people, they got helicopters
They got the bombs and we got the guillotine

A mass line movement doesn't have to arm itself exactly equivalently to its opposition.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The point isn't "armed leftists will overthrow the US government" it's "being armed allows you to skirmish with other paramilitaries as the state recedes"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You can't compare revolutionary Cuba to the modern surveillance state. There will be no Granma Landing on the Thames, the material conditions are completely different. The boat would be destroyed before it landed on the shore.

Yes, I agree and I edited my post with your quote!

My point was that being armed at least makes you a more difficult target for the far right death squads. You're not going to win against the state via force of arms alone, but you might just make your local turbonationalist brigade think twice if there's a very real chance they might also get shot. You're still not exactly in a strong position, but you've lessened one part of the threat (and, probably, one of the more immediately dangerous elements of it - there's a good chance the state will not, at least at first, be openly shooting leftists, but they will certainly turn a blind eye when someone else chooses to)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Simple denial of service can do as much damage as a bomb.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

it's like she's walked in on someone making GBS threads into her best china

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

What are folks views on Prospect as a Union? I haven't been part of one since I left the civil service years ago but am now thinking of diving back in.

My office isn't unionised all and I'm a support specialist that tends to switch round industries so it doesn't make sense to join a specific industry focused group.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like people are forgetting the words of the classic leftist anthem:
They got the TV, we got the truth
They own the judges and we got the proof
We got hella people, they got helicopters
They got the bombs and we got the guillotine

A mass line movement doesn't have to arm itself exactly equivalently to its opposition.

You can't post this and not the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

The Coup are fantastic. I recommend their album "Kill My Landlord" which starts with the words: "Presto, read the communist manifesto".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzgj6pH0Aq0

Boots Riley, frontman of The Coup is fantastic. You should watch the film "Sorry to Bother You" which was written and directed by him and is *very* UKMT.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The US military had no real objective beyond protecting poppy fields. If you are fighting over actual objectives, then your guerillas will not take them in open battle.

Guerrillas don't do open battle, by definition. They simply make a state ungovernable until state power starts eroding and defecting. It's been highly successful around the world in modern times against militaries just as advanced as America's, and the USA has excellent geography for it if the population does choose to remove its consent. Yes, it will be insanely gruesome, but that doesn't in and of itself mean that a total victory for the state is preordained. At the very least, I reckon you'd see some quite successful regional secessionist movements, even if the places that end up seceding are wildly unpredictable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WhatEvil posted:

You can't post this and not the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

The Coup are fantastic. I recommend their album "Kill My Landlord" which starts with the words: "Presto, read the communist manifesto".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzgj6pH0Aq0

Boots Riley, frontman of The Coup is fantastic. You should watch the film "Sorry to Bother You" which was written and directed by him and is *very* UKMT.

Co-signed,
Barry Foster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQthFDpYCys

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Could we now not describe the USA as a democracy?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Could we now not describe the USA as a democracy?

Why, would you have described it as one before? Was abortion the line? Would you describe the UK as a democracy? The greeks invented the thing and they allowed like a few hundred to people to vote.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Zalakwe posted:

What are folks views on Prospect as a Union? I haven't been part of one since I left the civil service years ago but am now thinking of diving back in.

My office isn't unionised all and I'm a support specialist that tends to switch round industries so it doesn't make sense to join a specific industry focused group.

I can't answer that but I have a very similar question - anyone got an opinion of UTAW (United Allied Tech Workers)? They seemed pretty sound when I had a chat with a rep, but they're the only union who've canvassed my building so not sure how melty they are / if there are other options for IT workers.

FTR a big selling point from my chat was that UTAW will represent anyone in the building including non-IT folk (so canteen staff, cleaners, etc as well as the development folk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Why, would you have described it as one before? Was abortion the line? Would you describe the UK as a democracy? The greeks invented the thing and they allowed like a few hundred to people to vote.

I mean I wouldn't. But I want to know if it is official yet.