Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Winklebottom posted:

Thanks! I paint my crystals since they're a translucent blue otherwise and it just looks off if they're not painted like everything else.

Where did you get these? They would be perfect for my necrons, I've been using transparent blue cocktail sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you guys just trick me into buying Citadel branded splooge? lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Did you guys just trick me into buying Citadel branded splooge? lol

"Sigmar's Cream"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How is the coverage on Blood blood?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
About the same as Skull Skull

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I rolled Extremely Stressful Pink.

Mod request for name change

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Agitated Cream ... so, butter?

If it had good coverage, I'd buy it.

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
Is there a good and easy to follow guide on painting skin and fabric? I'm fairly new to mini painting and those have been my biggest roadblocks so far, but every guide or video I watch just goes completely over my head for one reason or another, and it just doesn't feel like it's clicking.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SetSliRol posted:

Is there a good and easy to follow guide on painting skin and fabric? I'm fairly new to mini painting and those have been my biggest roadblocks so far, but every guide or video I watch just goes completely over my head for one reason or another, and it just doesn't feel like it's clicking.

Here's what I guess you could call a more specific guide about one flesh tone (Caucasian).

https://youtu.be/wD8jS62IVP4

There is this video on a plethora of skin tones and how to create them.

https://youtu.be/V2tGVsyw5gg

I would imagine that if you can follow through the first video as a tutorial you could apply the principles to most different shades and colors also.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

goodness posted:

Where did you get these? They would be perfect for my necrons, I've been using transparent blue cocktail sticks

Green Stuff World resin crystals

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you want an even duller, more beat up metallic look, Vallejo's Burnt Iron is great and applies like a dream:

Is Vallejo metal colour generally considered the best range of brushed-on acrylic metal paints available? I have various regular Vallejo metallics that I've been using regularly and some of them are pretty mediocre, so I'm looking to replace them.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Unquestionably yes, their only fault is that there's a lack of colors in the non-silver tones. But that can be solved with a variety of methods including inks or metal pigments.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

Is Vallejo metal colour generally considered the best range of brushed-on acrylic metal paints available? I have various regular Vallejo metallics that I've been using regularly and some of them are pretty mediocre, so I'm looking to replace them.

It's formulated for airbrushes, so some of the Vallejo Metal Color is pretty thin.

I find if you give it a minute or so to dry down on your palette, it will be a more brushable consistency. But that's not an exact science.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, it's *super* thin but the times I've used it with a brush it still covers amazingly well.

You can mix some of the silvers with contrast paints to get various colored metallics (Vince V has done Fyreslayer Flesh + Silver in a video for a great bronze) or even just apply contrast to a silver painted mini to tint it. I've done the latter to get a really bright good using VMC Chrome and Nazdreg Yellow.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Idk what you mean by "more brushable," and when I leave mine for too long the pigments and metallics start to separate and I have to agitate it a bit. If it's too thin you'll generally want to wick off the excess with a paper towel, not leave it to dry on the palette.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

AndyElusive posted:

"Sigmar's Cream"

Squat cream is important to avoid a uti

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Scale 75 has some nice metals!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

MeinPanzer posted:

Vallejo Metal Color is absolute magic, but don't overlook the Model Air and Game Air metallics. Since they're designed to be used in airbrushes, the grind on the metallic pigments is much finer than other metals, and they tend to go on much smoother without having to worry about overthinning.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Squat cream is important to avoid a uti

:lmao:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've been thinking about it and my current hobby space isn't ideal for a vortex mixer.

So I opted to order a rotational paint shaker from Green Stuff World today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkY-ggbvc_4

Cost about as much as a vortex that I could get off Ali Express or eBay and I might end up getting it sooner. So we'll see how it goes!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That rotational mixer looks rad as hell, tell us how you like it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At one point in time I almost wanted one of those back and forth shakers that I kept seeing being used at the hospital whenever I went in for blood tests.
No loving clue what they're called but figured then it'd be a good way to keep paint stirred. :v:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That rotational mixer looks rad as hell, tell us how you like it.

Yeah, please report back on that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Scalecolor and Darkstar metals are also pretty awesome

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Awesome, thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
and im falling asleep
and she calling a cab
while he's having a smoke
and hes also a crab

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Eej posted:

and im falling asleep
and she calling a cab
while he's having a smoke
and hes also a crab

Gunder
May 22, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I've been thinking about it and my current hobby space isn't ideal for a vortex mixer.

So I opted to order a rotational paint shaker from Green Stuff World today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkY-ggbvc_4

Cost about as much as a vortex that I could get off Ali Express or eBay and I might end up getting it sooner. So we'll see how it goes!

Interesting. Looks like it might be a Jackson Pollock waiting to happen though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya I mean, I can see how things could turn messy but I'm under the impression bottles and dropper bottles specifically don't need to be inserted cap first. As long as their lid is on tight then things shouldn't become an accidental abstract art project.

But I'll let you guys know what I think once I get to try it for a few days after it arrives.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am curious what makes a vortex mixer not work for your space, they don't take up very much physical space or make much noise.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cinara posted:

I am curious what makes a vortex mixer not work for your space, they don't take up very much physical space or make much noise.

I mean, that wand mixer looks like it's just a whole lot smaller and thus easier to store than a vortex mixer would be. That's certainly the appeal it holds for me as someone without a permanent painting station.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hobby on a modest, relatively inexpensive, hollow metal frame repurposed computer desk with a tempered glass surface that I snagged off FB marketplace years ago. It's pretty noisy when I'm just doing regular poo poo on it. A vortex mixer itself might not be incredibly noisy but the vibrations would definitely rattle this desk.

And I've basically used up all the room I can afford to comfortably take up with my acrylic paint racks and hobby tools and still have enough space on the self healing mat to work on. I'd take a picture and show what I mean but I'm away from home at the moment.

I wanted something I don't need to plug in to use outside of charging and place on my hobby table to mix paints if I can just reach over and grab a vape sized mixer and spin a couple of paints with. I even have a little roll around hobby unit with drawers full to the brim (and neatly organized) with poo poo and I don't even think I have space to store much more than a hand mixer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I will say, that vortex mixer I mentioned I got earlier rattles the hell out of my desk, but drat it's been fantastic

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Ahh yea a desk that already rattles with normal use would certainly vibrate a ton with a vortex mixer. Sounds like the GSW one should be perfect if it mixes well, report back to us once you get it!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I picked up some UV-curing clear resin having seen Vince Venturella use it for water in his recent "Forest Bases" video. Had a bit of a play with it on some bases here, havent quite got the hang of it yet tbh, but on the other hand, didnt ruin the bases, taking it as a win. It doesnt flow quite as well as I thought it would, and havent got the hand of tinting it yet. Also still trying out the speedpaints I picked up. All Malifaux (2E/3E) figures

McTavish, with his big scaly wet dog. Mainly speedpaints and drybrushing.

3 Poison Gamin. Entirely speedpaints and drybrushing (though I'm not even pretending the figures themselves were any particular effort, the bases took like... easily double the amount of time as the figures in this case). The middle one features my (so far, only) attempt to get the UV resin to mimic flowing water rather than still water which was way harder than I was anticipating.

The Mechanical Rider. Ebay rescue so shes got a replacement spearhead and the horses back hooves have been snapped off and reattached (then extremely carefully redrilled for pinning because of the join being a weak point I wanted to drill up through them into the very thin ankles which were only slightly wider than my drillbit), but she turned out okay in the end.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm starting to throw base layers on a noise themed Chaos Lord my buddy printed for me and up close the lines from the 3d printing are pretty visible. From a normal distance they aren't, but is this something I should have sanded down before primering? Too late for this guy and I'm gonna keep trucking on him, but I've got a printed Dreadnought with a similar texture on it. Unrelated to the question, I love this model.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Tried a lighter accent color for a shoulder pad. Not sure I made the right choice, but at least it was an attempt. It may just be me or the batch, but Army Painter whites seem to go on extremely grainy and I haven't figured out how to smooth them out.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

I'm starting to throw base layers on a noise themed Chaos Lord my buddy printed for me and up close the lines from the 3d printing are pretty visible. From a normal distance they aren't, but is this something I should have sanded down before primering? Too late for this guy and I'm gonna keep trucking on him, but I've got a printed Dreadnought with a similar texture on it. Unrelated to the question, I love this model.

Flat sections show lines worse than most, and need to the smoothed down before painting. Depending on the resin it can be smoothed with various chemicals, or just use some fine sandpaper and be careful.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chin up everything sucks posted:

just use some fine sandpaper and be careful a particulate rated mask like an N95.

Getting poo poo in your lungs is cumulative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My dad died of emphysema from a combination of smoking and welding and it didn't look like it was pleasant; wear a mask please.