Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

j.peeba posted:

Funnily enough, the brain of my setup in this case is a eurorack tracker called Nerdseq. I use it in a similar fashion as Ableton Live to launch clips containing musical data (control voltages, gates and midi). I can’t, and don’t want to, control absolutely everything with it though so there’s plenty of room for sculpting the sounds and improvisong around prepared melodies, rhythms and structures.

Once my fiancee has a steady income again and we're in a good financial place, a Nerdseq is 100% in my future. I started doing electronic music with ST3 and Impulse Tracker back in 1996, and I still love to fire up a tracker now and again for compos and such. I feel like a Nerdseq can only expand the ways I can compose and perform with my eurorack rig. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: Well poo poo, I stand corrected. I’m honestly surprised to see a tracker used as part of a hardware setup, I’ve always thought of it as an explicitly compositional tool.

It’s a little hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you have some sections programmed with note data (MIDI/CV/gate) ready to go, and you just jump from one to the next. That leaves you free to tweak knobs and gently caress around for a bunch of measures before moving on. In Renoise (i.e. not DAWs) that’d just be the same pattern duplicated over and over with some automation fuckshittery programmed in, I think. I have parts like that in my tracks, but they only last 4~8 measures before I’m like “alright bring the drums and chords in”.

Maybe I’ll stare at your hands a bit more and learn that way :v:

Renoise has a ton of performance tools built into it. The whole Pattern Matrix makes it very easy to have multiple concurrent layers programmed that you just bring in and out https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Matrix

People also use stuff like the Live Dive user tool combined with a Launchpad to make clip launching and performing similar to Ableton https://www.renoise.com/tools/live-dive

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
OP-1F thoughts:

-All of my usb audio issues aren’t around on this version. I can interface any external synth, throw some FX on it, and output it via USB to my iPad or Mac for sampling/sequencing, which is neat.

-The ADSR envelope is wonky on some of the synths where the release will extend the sound for a second then completely pop out without any fading. I’m sure it’ll get patched but for the cost of the thing, come on this doesn’t sound good.

-The onboard speaker sounds amazing for its size. I’m shocked how much I can do without headphones.

-New Mother reverb and SpaceWhatever synth sound so good.

-Build quality is good. Screen is gorgeous.

-Never buy anything expensive straight from TE. Mine arrived fine thank goodness but they pack the thing like poo poo in the flimsiest box.

-All in all I’m happy and I can’t wait to take it on the road with me. If I didn’t travel a lot and enjoy the workflow I wouldn’t spend the scratch on it though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Listed my Deluge, MPC One and Typhon if anyone is interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005107

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What didn't you like about the Deluge?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

net work error posted:

What didn't you like about the Deluge?

It's not that I didn't like it, I actually really like it, especially with the new update! I have an m8 pre-order pending.. the pocket portability is the difference between me actually making music and not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQC1O60N0U

It's fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

hehehehe
:getin:

For all y'all DIY types, maybe this is up your alley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5UmPTttN1s

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Oh yes! With the way you attenuate the pitch CV I can tell that you're well on your way to thinking with voltages :science:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lol it's saying something about you when you watch this and your first thought is "oh no. There's too much tension in those patch cables" :ohdear:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can see how people get addicted to this. It’s far more on the discovery/exploration side of music than the classically creative side, and I gel with that more than I do outright composition. That said I’d rather not to make an entire track from a modular patch and instead record a longer session and clip out the interesting bits as samples, or resequence them with some other instrument.

Also I’ll be hosed if I go hardware on this one, pulling up any module I want whenever I want and being able to actually save the patch is too much to pass up. VCV for sure.

toadee posted:

Renoise has a ton of performance tools built into it. The whole Pattern Matrix makes it very easy to have multiple concurrent layers programmed that you just bring in and out https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Matrix

People also use stuff like the Live Dive user tool combined with a Launchpad to make clip launching and performing similar to Ableton https://www.renoise.com/tools/live-dive

…drat I’m really not making full use of it, am I? I should really experiment more and bounce some of my projects off more experienced Renoise users.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I can see how people get addicted to this. It’s far more on the discovery/exploration side

It's exactly this for me. Same reason I enjoy board/video games because I have to learn how things work all over again every time I start a new one, and it's something that gives joy to my brain. Also the reason why I seem to enjoy modules which seem simple on the surface but are really deep, like Maths or Wogglebug, because I never feel like I know everything about them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got all the Audible Instruments modules, but that’s all I have besides Fundamentals. Tempted to grab some Euclidean rhythm modules when I get home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I got all the Audible Instruments modules, but that’s all I have besides Fundamentals. Tempted to grab some Euclidean rhythm modules when I get home.

The Erica, Vult and Befaco collections are very high quality. Impromptu makes the most popular clock and they have some cool sequencers too. Frozen Wasteland's BPM LFO is one of my favorites, and the vintage chip emulations from KautenjaDSP are fun for vintage game sounds. Bogaudio has an absurd array of utility modules, so if you end up feeling like you need slew or s&h or math operations that's where I'd look.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Those are good recommendations, and feature in my patching quite often.
oooh, let me throw a favorite or two on the recommendations pile:
Valley has a great reverb in Plateau
Alright Devices has a delay called Chronoblob2
Geodesics collection is all fairly unique takes on each of their modules. I use Ions and Pulsars a lot
Instruo has a lot of free and quite complex modules

I use S&H, sequential switches and other utilities from ML modules, quantizers from JW modules, the mixmaster Jr mixer and expander from MindMeld (has fx send/return), and the top module in almost every patch: Permutation from Grayscale (it's a clone of the Turing machine)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Lol it's saying something about you when you watch this and your first thought is "oh no. There's too much tension in those patch cables" :ohdear:

I think there’s a cable sag setting!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's exactly this for me. Same reason I enjoy board/video games because I have to learn how things work all over again every time I start a new one, and it's something that gives joy to my brain. Also the reason why I seem to enjoy modules which seem simple on the surface but are really deep, like Maths or Wogglebug, because I never feel like I know everything about them.

Yeah same. I’m glad (so far) that the itch is 100% scratched by simulating software. Starting with a blank board really does give me that zen of building a new PC or starting fresh in a sim game like Cities Skylines.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Grayscale also has supercell that is an expanded version of clouds by mutable instruments with knobs and cv control over options that clouds has hidden under menus.

The starling via modules have been around for awhile too in the previous version of VCV rack but now they are available for VCV rack 2.

Bogaudio and count modula have tons of really useful moduals too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

I think there’s a cable sag setting!

There absolutely is. But it's much harder to track stuff because it's all 2D, can't push wires out of your way.

Also gotta turn down the brightness for maximum blinkenlichten.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

gotta turn down the brightness for maximum blinkenlichten.

:sickos:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Grayscale also has supercell that is an expanded version of clouds by mutable instruments with knobs and cv control over options that clouds has hidden under menus.

The starling via modules have been around for awhile too in the previous version of VCV rack but now they are available for VCV rack 2.

Bogaudio and count modula have tons of really useful moduals too.

Where is a good resource for learning to use the starling via modules? I've had them for a while now, but still pretty clueless, and they're not the most intuitive.
Maybe just time to crack the manuals and experiment?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just updated my library to include them and haven't had time to sit down and mess with them much yet.
I was watching the individual videos for each by the creator from their website last night.
https://starling.space/via/sync3

The pages for each module have at least one video where he goes through the features and controls.

There's some older Omri Cohen videos on YouTube where he goes through them too.

e: also if you want to integrate midi into your vcv rack setup. Set up the impromptu clocked module with a x24 multiplier and patch that to the midi clock with the vcv cc-midi module.
It took me a while to figure that out.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 22, 2022

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This is a fun way to combine sequences.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

B33rChiller posted:

The top module in almost every patch: Permutation from Grayscale (it's a clone of the Turing machine)

Oh, I’m going to have so much fun with this.

That said, this sort of generative approach is not quite the kind of music I want to make. It’s cool as hell and good to headbang to, but what I’m really hoping to get out of this is inspiration and a deeper understanding of what sounds good rhythmically and how to call upon it myself. Fingers crossed that I learn something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/8n7Vbrp.mp4

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So Math posted:

That isssss very interesting. I can see how a lot of cool stuff emerges when doing some sequence mixing fuckery, especially if each sequence handles a different voice.

8-bit Music Theory’s video on rhythmic analysis and their observations on both on-beat and off-beat notes makes me wonder about generative possibilities in rhythm. Maybe a degree of randomness in whether one sequence is either on or off-beat, and that one module can help make it more musical.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pollyanna posted:

8-bit Music Theory’s video on rhythmic analysis and their observations on both on-beat and off-beat notes makes me wonder about generative possibilities in rhythm.

I'll have to watch that one. Thanks!

Now that I remember it, I had an interesting patch last week mixing gate signals, so that my VCA was only triggered when two different gate sequences happened to line up.

So Math fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 22, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

:ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pollyanna posted:

I can see how people get addicted to this. It’s far more on the discovery/exploration side of music than the classically creative side, and I gel with that more than I do outright composition. That said I’d rather not to make an entire track from a modular patch and instead record a longer session and clip out the interesting bits as samples, or resequence them with some other instrument.

100% this. I hit a wall using nothing but DAWs for so long, and getting into modular gave me an entirely different kind of creative exploration while still being within music and sound. Understanding how things like control voltage, audio-rate modulation and general weird patch fuckery work also makes for some sound results you can't really find anywhere else.

That being said, putting out finished compositions with modular is an entirely different workflow that I'm still getting the hang of. There are instances where I've simply recorded something I've jammed on live, but in other cases I've recorded individual clips and sequences into Ableton and used that to arrange a more polished track. I want to invest in a full license for Ableton eventually so I can maximize the potential of that workflow, I only have Ableton Lite and eight channels is ridiculously limiting for that style of arrangement.

And as fun as VCV can be, I've found that physically patching cables and twisting knobs is its own sort of meditative and satisfying practice. It's just a matter of having the funds to afford doing that, but there are ways to make modular cheaper thankfully. Being close to a modular shop with a robust used/consignment segment and learning how to solder and DIY modules in particular has been immensely helpful. Soldering is especially satisfying once you get confident with it.

So Math posted:

This sort of thing is part of why I just built a matrix mixer :hfive: Also you can get crazy modulation out of it by patching multiple outputs from 0chd into it, attenuating them at different levels on each output, and then putting one of those outputs back into 0chd's rate CV control. Some S&H and maybe some quantizing would make some ridiculous sequences too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Looks like the MPC Keys 61 embargo lifted.

Also, new firmware out tomorrow!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

Looks like the MPC Keys 61 embargo lifted.

Also, new firmware out tomorrow!

Firmware is out now on their website even if the mpc's updater isn't showing it. Just installed it on my Live II.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

Firmware is out now on their website even if the mpc's updater isn't showing it. Just installed it on my Live II.

Awesome. Looks like the new synths on the Keys are also available for purchase, the new FM synth looks interesting, but im not sure if its 149$ interesting.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Speaking of the MPC, my one is still for sale: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005107&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I like the concept, I’m fine paying for upgrades to hardware, even if it’s a license unlock. For $150 it should better FM8 and it don’t.

E: I sure hope this board is what they were holding disk streaming back for and that it’s on the way.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 24, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Apparently there's free trials for all the new synths on the MPC (you can even activate them right on the device) so that's a nice little thing they did.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
To the goons that recommended the Fender Mustang Micro as a guitar interface, you’re awesome. The overall sound quality is exceeding expectations by a lot. Teenager me would have killed for this.

I’m running it into the OP-1 cow and it’s delightful insanity. Gonna crank up the reverb and make some chill lofi guitar tracks (when my fingers get used to playing again.)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
a synth rig someone just posted on r/synthesizers.

when you see it you'll poo poo bricks.

SPOILER: who the gently caress puts their HS5s on their sides?!?!?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh I love the Moog Sub series. They’re so cool.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Radiapathy posted:

HS7s on side w/ other better monitors on top of them were in so many sound on sound studio shots over the years I assume its just from that. I guess you also get another foot or so of stereo separation w/ the tweeters?

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Radiapathy posted:

My favorite detail is that attention was paid to creating a barrier between it and the bare surface of the desk, which might answer the question of whether it's purely decorative or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

HS7s on side w/ other better monitors on top of them were in so many sound on sound studio shots over the years I assume its just from that. I guess you also get another foot or so of stereo separation w/ the tweeters?

the manuals say specifically not to do it though