Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cringe line but if they actually do something in regards to protecting the citizens of the states as well as people coming to visit from extradition or asset seizure by other states agents that will be a good thing, the fact that they at least mentioned it instead of a totally vague "we're pro-choice" is honestly more than I expected so we'll see where it leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
the West Coast Offense relies on slants and short passes to RBs so that the defense doesn't have time to properly make reads and get into coverage. you're trying to overwhelm them with little cuts til a big hole opens up and you run for a million yards.

what i'm saying is that if they were really trying to run a West Coast Offense then they should have started months/years ago and certainly shouldn't be taking more time to "plan" or "discuss". get out there and file some lawsuits (or whatever, idk)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
America Is Growing Apart, Possibly for Good

quote:

It may be time to stop talking about “red” and “blue” America. That’s the provocative conclusion of Michael Podhorzer, a longtime political strategist for labor unions and the chair of the Analyst Institute, a collaborative of progressive groups that studies elections. In a private newsletter that he writes for a small group of activists, Podhorzer recently laid out a detailed case for thinking of the two blocs as fundamentally different nations uneasily sharing the same geographic space.

“When we think about the United States, we make the essential error of imagining it as a single nation, a marbled mix of Red and Blue people,” Podhorzer writes. “But in truth, we have never been one nation. We are more like a federated republic of two nations: Blue Nation and Red Nation. This is not a metaphor; it is a geographic and historical reality.”

To Podhorzer, the growing divisions between red and blue states represent a reversion to the lines of separation through much of the nation’s history. The differences among states in the Donald Trump era, he writes, are “very similar, both geographically and culturally, to the divides between the Union and the Confederacy. And those dividing lines were largely set at the nation’s founding, when slave states and free states forged an uneasy alliance to become ‘one nation.’”

I think the country can probably diverge legally quite a lot state by state or rather bloc by bloc without breaking up. That is how it was set up after all.

A breaking point might be something beyond the repeal of national rulings on abortion, gay marriage, etc, but the court striking down state laws. Such as finding all state laws legalizing abortion to be unconstitutional. We're probably a ways out from that though.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

OhFunny posted:

I think the country can probably diverge legally quite a lot state by state or rather bloc by bloc without breaking up. That is how it was set up after all.

A breaking point might be something beyond the repeal of national rulings on abortion, gay marriage, etc, but the court striking down state laws. Such as finding all state laws legalizing abortion to be unconstitutional. We're probably a ways out from that though.

don’t know what it will be but it will be South Carolina’s fault. It’s always South Carolina.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

OhFunny posted:

doesn't seem so much "blue state vs. red state" as urban vs. rural/suburban/exurban, and even then the suburbs are (were?) getting bluer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

doesn't seem so much "blue state vs. red state" as urban vs. rural/suburban/exurban, and even then the suburbs are (were?) getting bluer

in texas the legislature is banning municipalities from diverging from state law so there won't be the legal patchwork here like we may see in other states

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Urban-rural divide is meaningless. Power flows from the state capitals and state laws override municipal laws.

To add another example to i say swears online's North Carolina in 2015 swept away most local gun control laws.

and of course all the state laws that imposed restrictions on abortion access that squeezed clinics in blue cities in red states until they closed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the law is like the one topic where red state blue state is the right lens to use, tho i imagine large sparse states will face breakaway regions and militia problems that might make laws not fully enforceable over a states whole territory

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah the law is like the one topic where red state blue state is the right lens to use, tho i imagine large sparse states will face breakaway regions and militia problems that might make laws not fully enforceable over a states whole territory

Is this not already the case?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

These states?

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2020/04/13/california-oregon-washington-announce-western-states-pact posted:

California, Oregon & Washington Announce Western States Pact
Apr 13, 2020
West Coast states agree region will move toward reopening based on health outcomes

SACRAMENTO — Today, California Governor Gavin Newsom, Oregon Governor Kate Brown and Washington Governor Jay Inslee announced an agreement on a shared vision for reopening their economies and controlling COVID-19 into the future.

Joint statement from the Governors:

COVID-19 has preyed upon our interconnectedness. In the coming weeks, the West Coast will flip the script on COVID-19 – with our states acting in close coordination and collaboration to ensure the virus can never spread wildly in our communities.

We are announcing that California, Oregon and Washington have agreed to work together on a shared approach for reopening our economies – one that identifies clear indicators for communities to restart public life and business.

While each state is building a state-specific plan, our states have agreed to the following principles as we build out a West Coast framework:

–Our residents’ health comes first. As home to one in six Americans and gateway to the rest of the world, the West Coast has an outsized stake in controlling and ultimately defeating COVID-19.

–Health outcomes and science – not politics – will guide these decisions. Modifications to our states’ stay at home orders must be made based off our understanding of the total health impacts of COVID-19, including: the direct impact of the disease on our communities; the health impact of measures introduced to control the spread in communities —particularly felt by those already experiencing social disadvantage prior to COVID-19; and our health care systems’ ability to ensure care for those who may become sick with COVID-19 and other conditions. This effort will be guided by data. We need to see a decline in the rate of spread of the virus before large-scale reopening, and we will be working in coordination to identify the best metrics to guide this.

–Our states will only be effective by working together. Each state will work with its local leaders and communities within its borders to understand what’s happening on the ground and adhere to our agreed upon approach.

Through quick and decisive action, each of our states has made significant progress in flattening the curve and slowing the spread of COVID-19 among the broader public. Now, our public health leaders will focus on four goals that will be critical for controlling the virus in the future.

Protecting vulnerable populations at risk for severe disease if infected. This includes a concerted effort to prevent and fight outbreaks in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Ensuring an ability to care for those who may become sick with COVID-19 and other conditions. This will require adequate hospital surge capacity and supplies of personal protective equipment.
Mitigating the non-direct COVID-19 health impacts, particularly on disadvantaged communities.
Protecting the general public by ensuring any successful lifting of interventions includes the development of a system for testing, tracking and isolating. The states will work together to share best practices.
COVID-19 doesn’t follow state or national boundaries. It will take every level of government, working together, and a full picture of what’s happening on the ground.

In the coming days the governors, their staff and health officials will continue conversations about this regional pact to recovery.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Balk! Balk! Balk! Balk!

animist
Aug 28, 2018

OhFunny posted:

i was just reading The Yankee and Cowboy war + listening to the War Nerd Radio civil war series and was thinking this. there are pretty uniform ruling-class blocs that go back a long ways

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/BNNBreaking/status/1540522717740273664

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

tangy yet delightful posted:

Cringe line but if they actually do something in regards to protecting the citizens of the states as well as people coming to visit from extradition or asset seizure by other states agents that will be a good thing, the fact that they at least mentioned it instead of a totally vague "we're pro-choice" is honestly more than I expected so we'll see where it leads.

sweet summer child

precious babe of the woods

someone get this water baby a doctor

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

OhFunny posted:

I don't think we're balking because the red state goons are coming for the blue states/cities after this, with the nexus of fed power+texas making GBS threads up everything it can. Gonna be a reverse Reconstruction with the white surpremacists lording over and systematically dismantlement anything non-hellish in the less-hellish parts of america.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ronwayne posted:

I don't think we're balking because the red state goons are coming for the blue states/cities after this, with the nexus of fed power+texas making GBS threads up everything it can. Gonna be a reverse Reconstruction with the white surpremacists lording over and systematically dismantlement anything non-hellish in the less-hellish parts of america.

Lmao yeah more like reverse Louisiana purchase with the middle being mad max but dumber and the coasts being actual countries

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

They're going to use the fed govt, which they control, to do what they want to you. Red states don't stop at red state borders. Yeah, Y'all Qaeda and street fash alone won't do it, but street fash+feds+washington directly loving with blue state governance+Republican president+legislature+SCOTUS implementing chud law all at once is a hard thing to fight off.

Look at Texas, where the GOP completely neutralized the blue cities from either influencing the legislature or having their own internal laws that defy chud will. That's probably coming to other states that are turning 'purple'.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Jun 25, 2022

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

wake me up when gavin and the dems completely rewrite ca penal code 1547-1558 cause until then gavbot is just lyin

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1540386566551416833

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sounds like the US Supreme Court is true heroes for destroying AmeriKKKa...? :thunk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chamale posted:

Balk! Balk! Balk! Balk!

This was a cool weekend

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Colorado the mountain fortress.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Colorado the mountain fortress.

Colorado controls a lot of water

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RC Cola posted:

Colorado controls a lot of water

Only as long as the snow continues to fall.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

From the doomsday econ thread, which states have the most military bases if balkanization happens

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ronwayne posted:

a reverse Reconstruction would mean all the white supremacists bowing to pressure from minority groups, ushering in a century of racial equality, wouldn't it?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Okay than whatever term is for chuds turning blue states/cities into economic colonies (more than they already are) while terrorizing them. Fascism has to keep attacking by its very nature, once you dispose of all the liberals/leftists/minorities/gay & trans folk locally, and there's a big state nearby which pays the taxes to keep your local hellhole going, well, that giant golden goose is going to look pretty tasty.

And this is not even accounting for texas reactionaries in full control of the place having enourmous power on the national stage to throw their dicks around and implement their will in a way that goes far, far beyond its borders.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jun 25, 2022

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

Okay than whatever term is for chuds turning blue states/cities into economic colonies (more than they already are) while terrorizing them. Fascism has to keep attacking by its very nature, once you dispose of all the liberals/leftists/minorities/gay & trans folk locally, and there's a big state nearby which pays the taxes to keep your local hellhole going, well, that giant golden goose is going to look pretty tasty.

And this is not even accounting for texas reactionaries in full control of the place having enourmous power on the national stage to throw their dicks around and implement their will in a way that goes far, far beyond its borders.

I feel sentiments like this are a really bad misreading.

The reason right wingers in depopulated areas have been able to push through political reforms that most blue states/counties find unpalatable is the same reason elected representatives from those same blue states do basically nothing to oppose it:

None of it actually matters unless you are poor, disadvantaged, etc.

The moment any of this actually materially impedes your average coastal tech worker, NIMBY local government enjoyer, homeowner, middle manager, working professional, etc., you are going to see a viciousness that has so far been absent because to the people who live in the nation's population centers (and who actually control the economy) this culture war bullshit is just make-believe outrage fodder for fundraising.

The neoliberal ownership class will strip the heartland of this country of every resource and annihilate its entire population before they tolerate any threat to their property or way of life. And unlike the larping christian dominionists they actually have the numbers, social, and physical infrastructure to accomplish it.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I worry they'll find common cause enough in keeping the money train going, and ultimately the rich neo-libs will find more money to be made in concert with chuds than middle class neo-libs. And that's not even getting into how many coastal techworkers are chuds at heart who will go full reactionary the second their privileges are threatened. A horrible feedback loop where chuds making life worse for blue states will cause more blue staters to go mask off and go full chud themselves.

Again, Texas is full of tech workers, middle class people etc, who have been completely subsumed by the Texas GOP's will. Either they're chuds themselves or completely stripped of power. Gerrymandered, beaten down, marginalized, atomized. That's going to be the template for the right going forward to break the influence of blue cities.

ed: I hope I'm completely wrong, but I went outside to walk around clear my head and stop doom scrolling. I'm right on the border and one of the first things I see outside is the border patrol arresting a dozen migrants and then bored cops keep coming in, from five+ different agencies
within a few minutes, there are more cops than immigrants, from BP, sheriffs, highway patrol, etc etc etc
that was some poo poo

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Jun 25, 2022

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Ronwayne posted:

I worry they'll find common cause enough in keeping the money train going, and ultimately the rich neo-libs will find more money to be made in concert with chuds than middle class neo-libs. And that's not even getting into how many coastal techworkers are chuds at heart who will go full reactionary the second their privileges are threatened. A horrible feedback loop where chuds making life worse for blue states will cause more blue staters to go mask off and go full chud themselves.

Again, Texas is full of tech workers, middle class people etc, who have been completely subsumed by the Texas GOP's will. Either they're chuds themselves or completely stripped of power. Gerrymandered, beaten down, marginalized, atomized. That's going to be the template for the right going forward to break the influence of blue cities.

ed: I hope I'm completely wrong, but I went outside to walk around clear my head and stop doom scrolling. I'm right on the border and one of the first things I see outside is the border patrol arresting a dozen migrants and then bored cops keep coming in, from five+ different agencies
within a few minutes, there are more cops than immigrants, from BP, sheriffs, highway patrol, etc etc etc
that was some poo poo

There is a reactionary strain that runs through all liberals (scratch a liberal etc.), but that's exactly what allows things like the repeal of roe to occur in the first place. It's also why migrants at the border get treated like poo poo regardless of who is in power, with the only actual policy tradeoff being "how much 3rd class labor do we need on farms vs. how many refugees from the human catastrophe we've contributed to in latin america are there this year".

But the idea that some theocratic yokels are going to start infringing on the behavior & lifestyles of PMCers in California is laughable, as is the idea that the machinery of the MIC is going to be dictated by the same.

My point isn't that things aren't getting worse. It's just that all of this is ultimately a continuation of the colonial project turned inwards, and not, for example, 1979 Iran. The human, social, demographic, and material conditions & support for something like the latter just aren't in place in the US, and any attempt at such would fail horribly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ronwayne posted:

This is probably true to some level, but it's important to keep in mind that this is not sustainable, especially for a country as large and populous as the US. All of the things you've listed as being reasons that blue areas will be dominated by the christian fascists' will are also things that will fuel heightened tensions between fascist and non-fascist areas and populations, and those stressors will reach a breaking point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Who tries to actually secede first?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I hope so, but the federal security apparatus keeps backing up the chuds when that happens. I'm hoping the christofash run out of political power and reach a breaking point but like. Man, its hard to see victory, or at least, survival with minimal agony, from down inside this current hole, on Jun 25th, 2022. Maybe it'll be easier to see later on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

probably a west coast blue state because the Senate and supreme court are too in favor of the right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr Hootington posted:

It's gonna be unexpected. I'm thinking vermont

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's colorado and the feds just starve everybody

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mr Hootington posted:

It should be California, they get super hosed by basically every aspect of statehood and it's like the 5th largest global economy on its own.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

nobody is going to 'actually' secede in a de jure sense, the inevitable breakdown of connections will just continue apace, accelerating as various systems fail in a stochastic manner under increased pressure both political and material (from climate and disease and global supply chain instability, etc) until at some point people will look back and there will not have been a USA for a very long time

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1540803184360411136?s=20&t=Ci-M8esp_Tr_w-rBzSGoWg
https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1540804249520570371?s=20&t=Ci-M8esp_Tr_w-rBzSGoWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

philadelphia