Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Might've been less? Going off memory.

It's the liqueur, not, like, the syrup from the cherries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Enigma posted:

Might've been less? Going off memory.

It's the liqueur, not, like, the syrup from the cherries.

This may help you answer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm finding their Sangue Morlacco to be a pretty poor substitute for Cherry Heering. Is that just me?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The originale, but it was probably only a 1/2 oz. I should've written it down.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yeah, if I use more than like 1/4 oz of luxardo its super overpowering to me. But my palette just may not jive with luxardo. definitely one of the liqueurs with the largest gap between what I expected it to taste like and what it actually tasted like.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Eurogoons, I'm going to be working in Poland with a German for the next month and want to bring a bottle of American bourbon as a gift. What bourbons are readily available in Europe? I want to make sure it's something less obtainable, or something that would be cheap here and not there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DoctaFun posted:

Yeah, if I use more than like 1/4 oz of luxardo its super overpowering to me. But my palette just may not jive with luxardo. definitely one of the liqueurs with the largest gap between what I expected it to taste like and what it actually tasted like.

I tried Maraska and find it’s much nicer than Luxardo. Ymmv of course, but it seems way less cloying and more drinkable on its own.

(Assuming you’re talking about maraschino)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Eurogoons, I'm going to be working in Poland with a German for the next month and want to bring a bottle of American bourbon as a gift. What bourbons are readily available in Europe? I want to make sure it's something less obtainable, or something that would be cheap here and not there.

Here are some suggestions:
Ironroot Harbinger (unique and doesn't make it over at all)
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (great classic bourbon, does make it over but rare and expensive)
Old Forester 1920 (good and doesn't make it over)
Old Grand Dad 114 (The 114 is powerful stuff and doesn't make it over)

I'd avoid the big brands, and anything that presents itself as a fancy craft bourbon but is really just MGP, there's plenty of that over here too.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

I’m traveling to Germany in a few days, connecting through Amsterdam. I’ve been getting more into whiskeys in the past months, and have never dealt with duty free offerings. My understanding is that sometimes there are cool offerings, and sometimes just overpriced nonsense. Is there any common guidance?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Duty free in general is a scam. An savings in duty are more than made up by a hefty markup. The selection is often not that great either. I travel through Schiphol often since I'm from The Netherlands and I don't even really bother with the duty free anymore. I would go around the shop checking prices with my local retailers or online and I could always get the same bottles much cheaper there. Only very rarely would there be a deal that would be worthwhile. There's some travel retail exclusive stuff but it's never unique enough to warrant the markup, imo.

That being said it never hurts to have a browse through the duty free when you're flying back out, since it allows you to bring an extra bottle or two as carry-on. Just don't expect any screaming deals.

Now, here's my advice:
Depending on your local market the duty free may still be cheaper than for you at home, but the Netherlands and Germany are two of the cheapest markets for whisky anyway. So my advice would be to research a bit into a decent whisky shop near your hotel or wherever you're staying in Germany and buy some there. (Germany also sells liquor in supermarkets, but the selection is often limited.)

Personally I'd especially be looking into independent bottlings not available where you're from, like from Gordon MacPhail or Signatory Vintage, but that of course depends on what you're after.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks, I appreciate that! I’m coming from Tennessee and generally have a good selection at home, only on the lookout for anything interesting/unusual.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Johnny Walker is the only one I know about that makes a specific label that’s only purchasable in duty free shops. You’d probably have a better selection at home or at your destination.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Johnny Walker is the only one I know about that makes a specific label that’s only purchasable in duty free shops. You’d probably have a better selection at home or at your destination.

There's a fair few scotch distilleries that have Duty Free only offerings, from memory Bunnahabhain, Bowmore & Balvenie all do them although it's been a while since I've been through an airport. As spankmeister says, they aren't all that.

The best Duty Free bottling I remember getting in the last 10 years was a Highland Park 16. It was the best only because I sold it for about 3x the price a couple of years later once the bottling style had changed and they moved towards more NAS stuff.

EDIT : Actually had a pretty good Oloroso cask Bushmills duty free special. It wasn't amazing but above expectations.

biglads fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 26, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My brother surprised me with a Balvenie duty-free, but it was over a decade ago. Nothing really stood out, but I mean hey, free Balvenie. It was just as good as a Balvenie 14 but wasn’t any “special” finished casks or anything.

My brother hates all alcohol except for Bud Lite or Corona…so it really was a nice surprise all said!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looks like Knob Creek Twice Barrelled Rye is on clearance here and I was considering picking up a bottle. Any thoughts/ opinions on it?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm in Louisville tomorrow on business and might or might not have an hour or two before dinner. Any liquor shop recommendations? I'm staying on Whiskey Row, if it matters. I'm not looking for anything super-rare, just stuff that's not widely available outside of KY.

edit: The night after I'm in Nashville, so recommendations there would be appreciated too.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Do you have a car or ok with uber'ing? Anything downtown is going to be picked over and touristy. Although you could go to Peerless or Old Forester gift shops and see if they have anything worth picking up.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I do have a car but likely won't want to bother with it after checking in. Uber is doable!

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

edit: The night after I'm in Nashville, so recommendations there would be appreciated too.

Depends a lot on where you're staying. If you're downtown, the places with the largest selections that aren't too far will probably be Corkdorks Midtown and Frugal MacDoogal, both have a pretty good variety and you can sometimes find some surprises. If you're willing to drive a little bit, there's Red Spirits & Wine southwest of the city past Belle Meade. It's probably a 20-30 minute drive from downtown but they usually have a lot of store picks, if that's your thing. As far as distilleries, closest to downtown will be Nelson's Green Brier (Belle Meade bourbon) and Corsair. Dunno if either will have exclusives, but they're both fun places to check out.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
So my birthday is at the end of the month and I'm looking to get myself a nice bottle as a special treat for me, a good boy. Nosing around the shops recently I notice that Glendalough, one of my favorite distilleries, has a new 7 year out that's finished in Mizunara casks and I was wondering if anyone had tried it; more specifically I was wondering if anyone had tried both it and the 13 year that is also Mizunara finished, because by some quirk of fate the 13 year is actually cheaper than the 7 in my neighborhood (not by a lot, like $5-6) and I'm wondering if there are Goon Approved Opinions on either.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
We finally caved and got a Costco membership. Any whiskeys worth keeping an eye out for there? My wife went today and came back with a giant handle of Irish whiskey for like $25, so we'll see if that turns out to be any good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zmcnulty posted:

There's a place just off of Broadway called The Southern that I liked quite a bit. Excellent oysters.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

I do have a car but likely won't want to bother with it after checking in. Uber is doable!

Any liquor barn will be ok with store picks, Westport whiskey and wine is awesome, or go to the distillery gift shops if they're still open.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I ended up not having time to go anywhere.

My client's rickhouse near Louisville isn't open to the public, so when I visited I thought it might be cool if they let me do some cask samples. Maybe walk away with a handfilled bottle, if I was lucky?

Nope. Turns out I was there to do a barrel pick.. for myself. No idea what I'll do with 200+ bottles of whiskey but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Afterwards we went to Jack Fry's for dinner and a fairly new bar called Neat. Had plenty there so just went back to the room and slept well.

In Tennessee the next day I couldn't make Nashville due to some family business. Just went to the other client's "distillery" (Uncle Nearest) and headed home immediately after.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 11, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Nope. Turns out I was there to do a barrel pick.. for myself. No idea what I'll do with 200+ bottles of whiskey but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

What the heck. Gimme some

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rolling a full barrel home across the desert Walter White style, like an inebriated dung beetle

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I ended up not having time to go anywhere.

My client's rickhouse near Louisville isn't open to the public, so when I visited I thought it might be cool if they let me do some cask samples. Maybe walk away with a handfilled bottle, if I was lucky?

Afterwards we went to Jack Fry's for dinner and a fairly new bar called Neat. Had plenty there so just went back to the room and slept well.

In Tennessee the next day I couldn't make Nashville due to some family business. Just went to the client's "distillery" (Uncle Nearest) and headed home immediately after.

I mean, the Watch thread got a number of goons (myself included) to buy a meme watch. Thread buying actual bourbon would be an improvement!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Does your client have to bottle it, or can they just send the barrel with instructions on how to tap it? gently caress a kegerator when you can offer guests a quaff of your bourbon barrel.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Hits 3 years in November. Basically the highest rye possible for a bourbon: 51% corn, 39% rye, 10% malt.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

In Tennessee the next day I couldn't make Nashville due to some family business. Just went to the other client's "distillery" (Uncle Nearest) and headed home immediately after.

Holy moley, that's incredible. Are they going to send you the empty barrel, too? That'd be a really cool souvenir to have around.

Uncle Nearest is some great stuff, too. I've been down there once maybe a year or two ago and got a bottle of their Master Distiller's Blend, it's fantastic.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Uhh can I work with you? drat...

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Coco13 posted:

Does your client have to bottle it, or can they just send the barrel with instructions on how to tap it? gently caress a kegerator when you can offer guests a quaff of your bourbon barrel.

Right, we're going to have to figure out some logistics down the road. I don't live in the US but they will be sending their empties to where I live (Japan) in the future. AFAIK bourbon doesn't have to be *bottled* in the US to be called bourbon either.

At the same time I don't really have the space or a good environment for a barrel. While it would be cool to have a full-size ASB at home, realistically most would probably end up as angel's share way faster than I could drink it. So I'll probably ask them to bottle it and send a pallet somewhere.

Edit: but yes having the empty barrel would be really cool too, space permitting

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 11, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a thought: after having the bourbon bottled, have the barrel shipped to Scotland to be filled with new make from oh idk Lagg distillery maybe and then to a bonded warehouse in the lowlands to be aged for 10 years.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Data Graham posted:

Rolling a full barrel home across the desert Walter White style, like an inebriated dung beetle

:boom:

A man has to have priorities in life…

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Question- ABC stores having their monthly limited release tomorrow, and I suddenly decided to go. I know I've got a couple of favorites on here that I'd be ok with, but anything stand out as a must-try?

ANGEL'S ENVY FINISHED RYE 100 PR. 750 ML
BLANTONS BOURBON 93 PR. 750 ML
BLUE NOTE UNCUT BOURBON BARREL 100 PR. 750 ML
BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON 90 PR. 750 ML
E.H. TAYLOR JR. SMALL BATCH BOURBON B.I.B 100 PR. 7 YR. 750
EAGLE RARE SINGLE BARREL BOURBON 90 PR. 10 YR. 750 ML
ELIJAH CRAIG BARREL PR. BOURBON 132 PR. 12 YR. 750 ML
ELIJAH CRAIG TOASTED BARREL BOURBON 94 PR. 750
HENRY MCKENNA SINGLE BARREL BOURBON 100 PR. 10 YR. 750 ML
KNOB CREEK BOURBON 100 PR. 12 YR. 750 ML
LARCENY BARREL PROOF BOURBON 100 PR. 750 ML
OLD FORESTER SGL BARREL / BARREL STRENGTH- BARREL SELECTION
OLD FORESTER SINGLE BARREL- BARREL SELECTION 100 PR. 750 ML
PINHOOK BOURBONDINI HIGH PR. 2022 BOURBON 116 PR. 750 ML
RUSSELL'S RESERVE BOURBON 114 PR. 13 YR. 750 ML
SLANE IRISH SPECIAL LEGACY 40TH CONCERT ED. 90 PR. 750 ML
THOMAS S MOORE COGNAC CASK 93.4 750ML
THOMAS S MOORE MADERIA CASK 96.5 750ML
THOMAS S MOORE MERLOT CASK 93.3 750ML
THOMAS S MOORE SHERRY CASK 98.7 750ML
WELLER ANTIQUE 107 BOURBON 107 PR. 7 YR. 750 ML
WELLER FULL PROOF BOURBON 114 PR. 750 ML
WELLER SPECIAL RESERVE 90 PR. 7 YR. 750 ML
WHISTLEPIG OLD WORLD CASK FINISHED RYE WHISKEY 86 PR. 12 YR.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That russels 13 year would be my top priority

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Old Forester Single for me, I also can not believe that the Whistle Pig is considered allocated product now.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'd fight a bear for Russell's 13

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Any of the Wellers (the higher proof the better) would also be good unless their prices are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'll take the Weller Full Proof