Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rigel posted:

If for some reason I was under an ancient voodoo curse permanently trapping me within the state of Wyoming, then I probably would switch parties for that primary to vote for the anti-insurrectionist.

This is just saying some fascists are okay as long as they preserve the illusion of your personal enfranchisement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you must participate in the GOP primary vote for whoever would most likely lose the general thanks

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Randalor posted:

Get hosed Collins, you knew exactly what was going to happen. Unless you're going to call for removing them from the bench or expanding the court, you're not feeling sorry at all.

If she was really sorry she'd resign her seat because her judgement is proven to be utter poo poo when it comes to evaluating people lying to her face.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oracle posted:

If she was really sorry she'd resign her seat because her judgement is proven to be utter poo poo when it comes to evaluating people lying to her face.

Well look, you say that, but there's a lot of it going around:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1540355949365702656

Clearly Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are just really convincing liars.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Majorian posted:

Well look, you say that, but there's a lot of it going around:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1540355949365702656

Clearly Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are just really convincing liars.

I’m sure he’d be willing to eliminate the filibuster to fix this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I really, really want to play poker with Collins and Manchin. I have a feeling it would be incredibly lucrative.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

haveblue posted:

If you must participate in the GOP primary vote for whoever would most likely lose the general thanks

Is that not Liz Cheney? I'm pretty sure it's Liz Cheney.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

PT6A posted:

I really, really want to play poker with Collins and Manchin. I have a feeling it would be incredibly lucrative.

You'd get fleeced if you think they actually don't realize they were being lied to.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Pretty sure you could pull the wallet inspector trick on them, and not even bother with the poker.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

You'd get fleeced if you think they actually don't realize they were being lied to.

You mean I can just play stupid and shift all the blame onto an unelected dude with zero accountability? Don't mind if I do!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

Arseholes would be convinced that 2,5,7,9,jack is a straight, refuse hear otherwise and take all the money anyway, while tut tutting about the idea of (other) people cheating.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

This is the logic the Hillary campaign bought into when they decided to help Trump win the GOP nomination. It did not end well.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Predictably, the Democratic Party leadership is not promising any concrete action to redress this issue:

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1540347032354816001

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is the logic the Hillary campaign bought into when they decided to help Trump win the GOP nomination. It did not end well.

Staying out entirely is better, I agree, but that was in reply to someone who was speaking hypothetically about doing it

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

"My enemies are all stupid even though they're kicking my rear end at every turn and have only continued to grow more powerful" is questionable analysis. If it were me I would start from the assumption that my powerful enemies were smart

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

"My enemies are all stupid even though they're kicking my rear end at every turn and have only continued to grow more powerful" is questionable analysis. If it were me I would start from the assumption that my powerful enemies were smart

I mean they're smart in the sense that they know how to obtain and wield power, but stupid in the sense that they hate women, minorities and LGBTQ+ people for no good reason and believe that angels are real

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Queering Wheel posted:

I mean they're smart in the sense that they know how to obtain and wield power, but stupid in the sense that they hate women, minorities and LGBTQ+ people for no good reason and believe that angels are real

Unfortunately, #1 is the important part when it comes to executing #2

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Velocity Raptor posted:

Afiak, you can only issue pardons for things that have already happened. You can't issue a pre-emptive pardon to protect someone from doing something in the future.

You're entirely wrong.

Edit: Apparently, I remembered wrong!

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 24, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Criss-cross posted:

You're entirely wrong.

Citation please

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DreamingofRoses posted:

Citation please

You're right, it only applies to crimes that have already been committed.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 24, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

The air force believes angels are real and they fly planes. Can't be stupid if you fly planes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

Once someone is at the point where they're denying human rights they're not a lesser evil, they're just evil along with everyone who agrees with them even if their disagreement is about how wild they should be while denying rights.

Unless you personally like them, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rebel Blob posted:

This stupid, ill-timed performance is about passing the gun control bill in the house, the pictures are of victims in recent mass shootings.

poo poo we mixed up our useless performance days.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Majorian posted:

Predictably, the Democratic Party leadership is not promising any concrete action to redress this issue:

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1540347032354816001

This...really just goes to show how short people's political memories actually are. The Dems did attempt to codify Roe into law after the draft opinion leaked. It failed because Manchin refused to back it.

Despite that, they held the vote anyway, according to the commonly-repeated idea that visibly taking action is better than nothing, even if you know it's going to fail. Doesn't seem to have made much difference - hardly anyone noticed it at the time, and it's already been largely forgotten only a month later.

In the absence of any changes in individual senators' stances, they have only two choices for concrete action: start stripping stuff from the Women's Health Protection Act to see if conservatives will flip and support a cut-down version, or appeal to voters to put a couple more pro-choice votes in the Senate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Unless you personally like them, right?

No

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

poo poo we mixed up our useless performance days.

If only someone had warned them about what was happening today.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Main Paineframe posted:

This...really just goes to show how short people's political memories actually are. The Dems did attempt to codify Roe into law after the draft opinion leaked. It failed because Manchin refused to back it.

Despite that, they held the vote anyway, according to the commonly-repeated idea that visibly taking action is better than nothing, even if you know it's going to fail. Doesn't seem to have made much difference - hardly anyone noticed it at the time, and it's already been largely forgotten only a month later.

In the absence of any changes in individual senators' stances, they have only two choices for concrete action: start stripping stuff from the Women's Health Protection Act to see if conservatives will flip and support a cut-down version, or appeal to voters to put a couple more pro-choice votes in the Senate.

I honestly didn't remember that they attempted it, but googling for it confirms that they did in fact attempt to codify it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/democrats-are-pushing-codify-roe-leaked-opinion-dont-votes-rcna27082

It looks like Manchin and Sinema didn't specifically vote against it, but rather refused to vote in support of eliminating the filibuster so they could properly vote on it. Plausible deniability, baby!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yes, voting for the Liquidate Black People Party is distasteful, but if I don't the Liquidate Black and Latin People will win.

I know it's a bad choice and in the long term we should stop liquidating anyone. But 38% of the country supports keeping the camps open in some capacity; with numbers like that I don't see any short term alternative.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

Hating those people doesn't make them stupid, it makes them bad. In fact, scapegoating politically disenfranchised groups to leverage more power is actually a smart thing to do

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Majorian posted:

Doesn’t matter. Today’s development endures that people who don’t believe in religious fascism stays in the states that respects people’s rights to live however they want. Liberal minded people are going to stop moving to the interior from the coasts and people already there will flee if they don’t have the federal government to ensure that the local priests and neoconfederates can’t tell them how to live. This means the rest of the nation will get eternal conservative reign of the Senate and White House.

If the Midwest is allowed to return to the 1950s by Thomas and friends, the Democrats will just be a regular coalition of safe seats from 1/3rd of the country yelling at clouds but not allowed to enact any real change.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is there any other job where you could fail as miserably as dem leadership and not be expected to resign?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

This is incredibly cold comfort in the face of all of the years that the Dems had large majorities in both chambers of Congress, when they could have far more easily codified it into law. As far as appealing to voters to put more pro-choice votes in the Senate, their strategy would be much more effective if their promises were more concrete and less vague than just the "we'll fight this with every fiber of our being, but we won't say how" sentiment in that statement.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 24, 2022

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

FizFashizzle posted:

Is there any other job where you could fail as miserably as dem leadership and not be expected to resign?
I mean, poo poo...even David Cameron had more shame than the current Democratic leadership!
This ruling is just an unmitigated disaster, the end of a long chain of events, and the Democrats mostly spent their time pretending there was nothing to worry about. Well...here the gently caress we are, and Dem leadership is still saying there's nothing to worry about. They have the empty optimism of the '90s and the empty ideology of the Watergate Babies. They will continue to lead nowhere.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

No they didn't, and this is an inaccurate summary of what happened. If you're going to "well actually" people you should get the facts correct

They held a vote to invoke cloture. That was all they did. There was never an actual vote on codifying Roe. If Manchin had voted in favor, it still would have failed by 10 votes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Majorian posted:

This is incredibly cold comfort in the face of all of the years that the Dems had large majorities in both chambers of Congress, when they could have far more easily codified it into law.

It was never going to be easier than right after the draft leaked because it was always going to require weakening the filibuster, and there's no way in hell that was going to happen before now for a theoretical possibility that they did not seriously believe would ever happen.

Majorian posted:

As far as appealing to voters to put more pro-choice votes in the Senate, their strategy would be much more effective if their promises were more concrete and less vague than just the "we'll fight this with every fiber of our being, but we won't say how" sentiment in that statement.

This year is the acid test. As far as the politicians are concerned, this November decides it: either the voters give a poo poo about abortion, or they don't. If the voters collectively tell the politicians that they don't really care that much, then the parties will conclude that abortion is only useful for raising money but won't actually get them votes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rigel posted:

It was never going to be easier than right after the draft leaked because it was always going to require weakening the filibuster, and there's no way in hell that was going to happen before now for a theoretical possibility that they did not seriously believe would ever happen.

It probably shouldn't have been treated as theoretical back during all those periods I mentioned in which they held large majorities and sweeping mandates from the public.

quote:

This year is the acid test. As far as the politicians are concerned, this November decides it: either the voters give a poo poo about abortion, or they don't. If the voters collectively tell the politicians that they don't really care that much, then the parties will conclude that abortion is only useful for raising money but won't actually get them votes.

Really? That's the acid test? Not Obama getting elected in 2008 in a landslide after promising that "the first thing he would do" after inauguration was signing the Freedom of Choice Act? It seems to me like the Democratic party leadership will draw whatever conclusion they want from elections, regardless of what the voters say.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

Cop?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Rigel posted:

Whether a politician get voted in or not and if a party holds power or not is as much on the party and politician as it is on the voters. The party needs to run politicians that people want to vote for. If people are calling for protections of women's rights, and the establishment heavily promotes their anti-abortion candidates and that's who is available to vote for, you can't blame the voters for failing to elect them.

If I tell you I'm hungry and you offer me a poo poo sandwich, it's disingenuous to claim that I must not actually be hungry if I refuse your offer.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 24, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Main Paineframe posted:

That's not even getting into the articles on their website. I can't tear my eyes away from the one that talks about how gay pride is a "blind, meritless pride" that represents the "hubris, vanity, and arrogance of the LGBT community" in its demands to be treated as "a superior class, [who] feel they should be catered to and afforded special rights and privileges".

I'm not really feeling honest defense of LGBT rights from them, if you ask me! I don't know if they used to be better or not, but it seems like they've gone full escalator these days.
I'd agree with that last sentence, LCR definitely seem to have accelerated their rhetoric a ton in recent years. Yet they're still losing ground to the MAGA hordes because they're running to the right even faster! Getting kicked out of Republican conventions despite the incessant bootlicking was very funny to see though.

FizFashizzle posted:

The NFL? Although there you do sometimes have to take a demotion to coordinator for a while after being a terrible head coach, so eh probably still not as bad. Just as much nepotism though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Police Officer