Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Chiming in to say that IxiQuest is a gem of a server. Bonus XP weekend now through this weekend so it's a great time to start.

PM if you'd like some starting plat or gear. You can viably 1 or 2 box here, depending on what you want, and there are currently 2 guilds raiding content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

I might play some this weekend if my brainworms win out. I'll probably rock an enchanter/cleric duo if you have any spare caster gear.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

gepgepgep posted:

Chiming in to say that IxiQuest is a gem of a server. Bonus XP weekend now through this weekend so it's a great time to start.

PM if you'd like some starting plat or gear. You can viably 1 or 2 box here, depending on what you want, and there are currently 2 guilds raiding content.

Just logged on to try this and made a gnome necro. Wandered around steamfont mountains for 20 minutes and didn't find a single even con to fight. Was hoping to find a decaying gnome skeleton, but no. Nothing. Everything seemed great at start-up but good lord.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
You trying the melee necro aka Bone Knight? Let me tell you it slaps if you can get your Dex past 160

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

You trying the melee necro aka Bone Knight? Let me tell you it slaps if you can get your Dex past 160

No but now I might.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Here's the writeup on how the original player did it. I'll upload some screenshots, but the tl;dr is that Vampiric Embrace procs a lifetap heal that scales with you level.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368553&highlight=bone+knight

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Seriously that server is a troll job. Worse than even the original Everquest experience. I finally found a decaying gnome skeleton that conned even. Attacked it and immediately was swarmed by spiders and killed. I've died repeatedly trying to just get a foothold, and each time you respawn in your guild hall. Which for a gnome necro means a 10 minute walk. gently caress this server.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
more like Boner Knight

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I think gnomes are supposed to get their first couple levels in the mining tunnels at the bottom of the city.

It's Everquest, so there's a good chance there's absolutely nothing indicating this to the player.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Some of those ak'anon skeletons socially aggro the GMs in there, too. I spent 20-30 minutes trying to remember how I leveled in there on Live and instead just took a handful of deaths until I gave up.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Kefit posted:

I think gnomes are supposed to get their first couple levels in the mining tunnels at the bottom of the city.

It's Everquest, so there's a good chance there's absolutely nothing indicating this to the player.

This is probably the way to go. I just always am worried I'll do something that damages some faction. Don't like killing anything with clockwork in it's name. I think there are some snakes in the mines, though.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Well the brain worm has struck again and I'm playing P99. Went back to Blue and it's not terribly lively these days, but there seem to be a decent number of people playing in the 50-60 range at least.

Anyone else playing? Or have played in the past and have a strong opinion about the guilds on the server? Trying to decide where to join and no one I used to play with is still on.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Been playing casually on Blue with <Kittens Who Say Meow> for about a year. Good mix of casual and endgame raiders, raiding is pretty relaxed up until another guild rolls through with dragons and trains the raid. I'd recommend them.

There's a big guild on the Blue server called <Yoremy Tessmia> that'd I'd avoid. The guild leader is a bit of a cult type and has had meltdowns in every other guild he was in until forming a weird roleplaying guild. They keep to themselves.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Pillow Armadillo posted:

The guild leader is a bit of a cult type and has had meltdowns in every other guild he was in until forming a weird roleplaying guild. They keep to themselves.
Name and shame!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You'd think that anyone who gives a gently caress about classic Everquest at this point would have to be mid 30s if not 40+.

I'm glad guild leaders are not letting something like age get in the way of being huge babies online. It's truly Classic behavior.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

FYI the new TLP is only like a week old, still has almost 7 weeks of Classic left before Kurnak drops. No weird rules this year on Yelinak, just old school TLP. It is a lot more active than Blue is right now. Groups everywhere with tons of picks(instances of zones pop up when too many players are in one zone. Like Sol B had like 10 different zones of Sol B last night for example and you can swap between them to find groups or get a certain camp).

If you want nostlgia with more active players now is the time to hop on.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Im still playing on Blue. Recently someone was saying that <Yoremy Tessmia> guild was "dead" and their discord has become a ghost town.

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
I'm leveling up a druid on green. I'm down to help out any newcomers.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
E: I see the new server has been up for a few weeks. Shamed I missed. How often do they go up

CobyKoby
Jan 3, 2008
Rebel, Rebel. Your face is a mess.
Levelling a bard in Unrest at the moment (19), got a few bits from some helpful goons FOREVER AGO but have come back after...probably 2 years on the green server, I've been using the project 1999 suggest gear guide to try and find upgrades and get what I can

Specifically trying to get the 'Cape of midnight mist', has anyone got this? it's an upgrade I can afford and i'm wearing ringmail in the slot at the moment, I cannot for the life of me find it being sold by anyone.

Gotta say I am loving it though, I really appreciate how hard it is because it forces people to work together, generally the people I've encountered have been really fantastic in their attitude and there's just so much depth to the game you can really get your teeth into it

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

CobyKoby posted:

Specifically trying to get the 'Cape of midnight mist', has anyone got this? it's an upgrade I can afford and i'm wearing ringmail in the slot at the moment, I cannot for the life of me find it being sold by anyone.

There's a discord with a bot to watch auctions for you:
https://discord.gg/AardHWsK

You can direct message the bot with what you want to watch for and it will ping you when someone offers it for sale.

CobyKoby
Jan 3, 2008
Rebel, Rebel. Your face is a mess.

Hibajubwa posted:

There's a discord with a bot to watch auctions for you:
https://discord.gg/AardHWsK

You can direct message the bot with what you want to watch for and it will ping you when someone offers it for sale.

Thank you! that'll be a big help!

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I'm on Blue with some co-workers. Oddly enough we've had a bunch of college fresh people join the company who are super into this... I'm also super hooked again.

Currently level 14 Shaman "Buzzspeedman" if anyone hops on.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dinurth posted:

I'm on Blue with some co-workers. Oddly enough we've had a bunch of college fresh people join the company who are super into this... I'm also super hooked again.

Currently level 14 Shaman "Buzzspeedman" if anyone hops on.
Are you a previous classic live EQ player? What's it like interacting with ~20yr olds who are new to EQ?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

It seems so strange to me that people would go through the headache of setting this game up, the crashes, the total lack of "quality of life" features, unless they are chasing nostalgia. But there are a bunch of people in my guild who never played on live.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Lakedaimon posted:

It seems so strange to me that people would go through the headache of setting this game up, the crashes, the total lack of "quality of life" features, unless they are chasing nostalgia. But there are a bunch of people in my guild who never played on live.

I feel attacked.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lakedaimon posted:

It doesn't seem to odd to me that people want to play or are interested in playing games from before their "time" or that they otherwise missed out on. Especially when it's something like a historically significant mmo like EQ. There's fun to be had in older games (video, board or pnp) whether it's historical curiosity or design study or just to find something they might enjoy given shared tastes in other things that people who do have nostalgia for it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
And there's really nothing like EQ out there. It's not the same as playing any of the crop of MMOs that have come out post-WOW.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Are you a previous classic live EQ player? What's it like interacting with ~20yr olds who are new to EQ?

Yeah I played when it initially launched. There is definitely an initial "wtf is this janky old poo poo" but the difficulty, lack of hand holding, and community really pull them in. It's also a lot easier than it was back then just because there is so much free knowledge between players (and the wiki), but it's still a unique experience.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

And there's really nothing like EQ out there. It's not the same as playing any of the crop of MMOs that have come out post-WOW.

Yeah when we played last year a guy who grouped with us a bunch in CT got into P99 through a friend and had never played EQ and he said it wasn't like any modern MMOs and that's what hooked him.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
EQ rules

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

You might be biased. Though didn't think there were many marauders left after I farmed them for my necros skull cap.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Zil posted:

You might be biased. Though didn't think there were many marauders left after I farmed them for my necros skull cap.

KOS to you buddy, get the gently caress out of my sight

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress an iksar marauder always spooked me making that run to Kurns.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've hit on forever quest recently and it def woke up some nostalgia. I raided through PoP and left shortly into LDON and managed to do Hate, Veeshans, messed around in Sleeper, didn't really do end game Luclin and did some various shenanigans in PoP. I'm not super interested in the later expansions but I would very much like to experience the raids through PoP with more of a focus on through Velious.

I've heard pretty good things about the communities in p99 but how active is it in general and how active is the Goon communities? I really enjoy the social and grouping and I'm a little worried it'll be dead trying to climb the level ladder since I'm not coming in at launch and I'll struggle to advance.

Would a live TLP be better community and living wise?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I've hit on forever quest recently and it def woke up some nostalgia. I raided through PoP and left shortly into LDON and managed to do Hate, Veeshans, messed around in Sleeper, didn't really do end game Luclin and did some various shenanigans in PoP. I'm not super interested in the later expansions but I would very much like to experience the raids through PoP with more of a focus on through Velious.

I've heard pretty good things about the communities in p99 but how active is it in general and how active is the Goon communities? I really enjoy the social and grouping and I'm a little worried it'll be dead trying to climb the level ladder since I'm not coming in at launch and I'll struggle to advance.

I imagine Green probably has more goons on it than Blue, but I find that there are always people levelling alts, so many lower level zones are still busy. Definitely gave me a chance to really experience Velious like I never really had time to do on live.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

There’s a p99 goons discord, and there def is a presence. Not much of a raiding presence. There’s always leveling groups going on both green and blue, moreso on green. Find a nice cozy guild.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

If you want a quick trip through less faithful nostalgia, the latest TLP servers are only a month or two old and are a good option. Also a good option if you have more money than time or need an endpoint (the "what the gently caress is this poo poo" expansions are a nice way to quit).

If you want a more faithful and stable experience with a smaller but more chill community (for leveling) then P99 green is a good bet. Also its free, so you can always try it first and stick around if it suits you.

You'll be largely leveling with alts on both at this point unless you are going to go fast enough to catch up on the TLP.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

A Strange Aeon posted:

yeah i never played classic on live but there is something about sitting at a camp for hours with a solid group that sucks you in harder than any other mmo ive tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Bugen you ever gonna play casually again on p99?