Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Odds that there is an ApeFest 2023?

100% after the big rebound gives them hope again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zil posted:

There is grifting and there is exploiting those in a dark and lovely place

this stupid motherfucker needs his head put under a pneumatic press

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I looked at more of his tweets, and he claims to make bank by paying Filipinos peanuts to create low-effort Dr. Phil compilation Youtube videos that he monetizes, and brags about the "donations" he does by renting 20-30 movies a day that he never watches.

I really hope it's a parody account.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Vampire Panties posted:

Instead I propose that anyone who wishes to buy or sell a NFT must undergo chemical sterilization. Reproduction probably isnt a huge concern at the Apefest there, but as a species we need to draw a line

I have a friend that works as an artist and designer for high fashion brands (Gucci, etc.,). When her marketing and social media team explained NFTs for her, she thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but saw how easy it was to sell a jpeg to some idiot instead of having to pay for an actual print. Every morning when she wakes up, she sketches something in her notebook based on a dream or idea, and she has practiced this habit for at least a decade. She started "minting" scanned notebook sketch NFTs for low prices (like $50+), basically getting paid to do what she does every morning as part of her daily warm-up. She has a backlog of thousands of sketches, and each one is unique. I celebrate any non-crypto-bro artist who has seen how easy it is take money out of the wallets of digital tulip speculators.

The ones who are actually into all this poo poo like the dork in the Twitter OP? Yeah, gently caress 'em. I'm glad the NFT scene will crash sooner than the coin scene. It is already beyond its peak, since much of its rise was simply FOMO after seeing how much Beeple grifted out of them. The difference is, at least Beeple is an artist.

Is it actually a crime anywhere to steal crypto if crypto is technically unregulated mumbo jumbo that breaks the SEC rules on the daily and doesn't actually have any actual value? I know it can be a crime to break into a company's servers, but I can't understand if "stealing" something that doesn't exist is a crime.

Collateral Damage posted:

Mo Monkey Mo Problems

General Bullshit › Bitcoin: Mo Monkey Mo Problems

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The Jared profile photo has to be a joke, because otherwise it would be so on-brand for libertarian trash to flaunt a known pedophile as a representation of themselves.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PITY BONER posted:

The Jared profile photo has to be a joke, because otherwise it would be so on-brand for libertarian trash to flaunt a known pedophile as a representation of themselves.

The Jared profile photo is on my end, I have an extension that changes all hexagon profile pics to him

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Zil posted:

I hope this guy trips into an open sewer and drowns.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I looked at more of his tweets, and he claims to make bank by paying Filipinos peanuts to create low-effort Dr. Phil compilation Youtube videos that he monetizes, and brags about the "donations" he does by renting 20-30 movies a day that he never watches.

IDK, "Charity bad" is a pretty common ancap opinion.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
You were all very helpful explaining mining and blockchain before. I am now for some reason trying to understand how these ape jpegs relate. Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key? How are these worth anything? Just because the nft maker says so? Like coins they are only worth what the next idiot is willing to pay? What if the nft hosting server disappears?

I expected the future to be this terrible but for some reason I didn't expect it to be this stupid.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

run on sentience posted:

Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key?

Most of the time they don't even own the jpeg at the other end of the url, they just have a receipt for the url itself.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I read the thread and basically the advice is "buy 'undervalued' NFTs, wait a few weeks, sell them for profit".

Of course there's no advice on how to determine what is "undervalued", and no consideration of the fact that someone who can't afford a plane ticket probably can't afford to buy NFTs either, "undervalued" or not.

The one saving grace is that EVERY single reply is dragging him.

Not to mention the active attempts by red states to criminalise going out of state to get an abortion elsewhere.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

run on sentience posted:

You were all very helpful explaining mining and blockchain before. I am now for some reason trying to understand how these ape jpegs relate. Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key?

Yes, except that spreadsheet is the blockchain, and adding a row kills like a hundred trees.

run on sentience posted:

How are these worth anything? Just because the nft maker says so? Like coins they are only worth what the next idiot is willing to pay?
Pretty much! Whatever some dickless rear end in a top hat is willing to pay is what it's worth. It's a greater fool scam, a giant economic game of high-stakes hot potato where the goal is to not be the idiot holding the thing when the music stops.

run on sentience posted:

What if the nft hosting server disappears?
Sucks 2 b u.

run on sentience posted:

I expected the future to be this terrible but for some reason I didn't expect it to be this stupid.

Reality often is.

There's a reason this image exists:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

run on sentience posted:

Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key?
How are these worth anything?
Just because the nft maker says so?
Like coins they are only worth what the next idiot is willing to pay?
What if the nft hosting server disappears?

1) Yes, exactly, it is 'ownership' of a text string (which usually is a url), and that's it. (The url does not convey ownership of whatever is at the underlying url)

2) a fool and his monkey are soon paired

3) yes, but they said it with marketing buzzwords and big promises.

4) yep

5) you're poo poo out of luck

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Aren’t apes gachas too? Like the ape community knows that certain modifiers are good or whatever. I don’t actually how this poo poo works and I will probably regret asking.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

nachos posted:

Aren’t apes gachas too? Like the ape community knows that certain modifiers are good or whatever. I don’t actually how this poo poo works and I will probably regret asking.

No, gacha implies that they're distributed randomly (for example, I throw a bunch of money at Cygames, and maybe I get this characater in Granblue). They're procedurally generated, but I'm pretty sure they're set at minting before being sold?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

nachos posted:

it's like all an unregulated blind box market, full of obvious insider scams. most nfts "purchased" by the guy making them to increase buzz and i'm certain some are given away to idiot celebrities for endorsements. all the rest are idiots following suit.

all it is is another layer of abstraction to the grift onion that is the crypto space.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

put every nft bro onto one of elon musk's rockets (they'll sign right up) and then launch it directly into the sun

I thought we all learned how orbital mechanics works via kerbals.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
So y'ouns are saying I should sink e'rething I got on this here bitcoin because I might strike oil!?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I believe this law is unjust, and would like to help women who are negatively affected.

Lol oops this public ledger of unlawful activity is immutable sorry ladies :jerry:

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

Neito posted:

They're procedurally generated, but I'm pretty sure they're set at minting before being sold?

It can actually be either way, from what I recall from the line goes up vid NFT scammers figured out how to pass minting fees off to the buyers, so the NFT can get randomly created upon purchase.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

ChronoBasher posted:

It can actually be either way, from what I recall from the line goes up vid NFT scammers figured out how to pass minting fees off to the buyers, so the NFT can get randomly created upon purchase.

Oh great, loot-box mechanics

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Celsius Bankruptcy Confirmed?
https://archive.ph/7qZzi

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Oh great, loot-box mechanics

Totally, but with even shittier rewards and outcomes.
Some NFT makers will list the rareness of what may appear on it to encourage you to go 'ohhh if I get that Ill be Elon'.
Obviously you would want the 0.001% chance of the gold halo with green flames coming out of it.
If you got that, then holy poo poo your NTF is rare as gently caress and will be worth many times more than what you paid for instantly!

But then you get all common as gently caress rolls, and your warbling jack rabbit is wearing bog standard walmart clothing instead.
Thanks for the $5000 worth of eth!
Do you want to try again before I rugpull tomorrow?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pippy posted:

Celsius Bankruptcy Confirmed?
https://archive.ph/7qZzi

Jokes on you, I love looking at that man's anus.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

PITY BONER posted:

I have a friend that works as an artist and designer for high fashion brands (Gucci, etc.,). When her marketing and social media team explained NFTs for her, she thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but saw how easy it was to sell a jpeg to some idiot instead of having to pay for an actual print. Every morning when she wakes up, she sketches something in her notebook based on a dream or idea, and she has practiced this habit for at least a decade. She started "minting" scanned notebook sketch NFTs for low prices (like $50+), basically getting paid to do what she does every morning as part of her daily warm-up. She has a backlog of thousands of sketches, and each one is unique. I celebrate any non-crypto-bro artist who has seen how easy it is take money out of the wallets of digital tulip speculators.

quote:

Is it actually a crime anywhere to steal crypto if crypto is technically unregulated mumbo jumbo that breaks the SEC rules on the daily and doesn't actually have any actual value? I know it can be a crime to break into a company's servers, but I can't understand if "stealing" something that doesn't exist is a crime.

Where I live, crypto is just a generic asset. It goes in the same bucket as cash, coins, art and so fort. It has a market value, so that's what you're supposed to declare on your tax form. If someone cybercrimes their way into your accounts, it's just as though they stole any other asset.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

run on sentience posted:

You were all very helpful explaining mining and blockchain before. I am now for some reason trying to understand how these ape jpegs relate. Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key? How are these worth anything? Just because the nft maker says so? Like coins they are only worth what the next idiot is willing to pay? What if the nft hosting server disappears?

it's conspicuous consumption with itchy and scratchy money

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

lol Eminem and Snoop dropped their feud so they could run NFT scams together

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Plan R posted:

So y'ouns are saying I should sink e'rething I got on this here bitcoin because I might strike oil!?

bro if you try and bring that Philadelphia slang up in here I swear I'm gonna scrapple your rear end.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1540430157760061441

what is even going to be left of Celsius after the bankruptcy

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

LifeSunDeath posted:

bro if you try and bring that Philadelphia slang up in here I swear I'm gonna scrapple your rear end.

Youns (which is y'all plus three) better get diggin!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Plan R posted:

Youns (which is y'all plus three) better get diggin!

yeah I know about youns and water ice, it's just too much to deal with at this hour (any hour). hopefully sheets is open or you might starve.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah I know about youns and water ice, it's just too much to deal with at this hour (any hour). hopefully sheets is open or you might starve.

Oh, I can get whiz on my sammich?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Plan R posted:

Oh, I can get whiz on my sammich?

you goddamn know you can, Ricky. 24 hours a day.

e, not sure why but everyone from PA is named Ricky in my mind.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

:stare::stare::stare:

Welp I didn't think I was going to hit my personal End-of-Internet so early today, but there it is.

Humanity was a mistake

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

no humans, no gods

only apes down here

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/status/1540338553091235842

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vampire Panties posted:

:stare::stare::stare:

Welp I didn't think I was going to hit my personal End-of-Internet so early today, but there it is.

Humanity was a mistake

Maybe you should get that mistake corrected by flying to Canada? 5,000 word grift below: 👇

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Maybe you should get that mistake corrected by flying to Canada? 5,000 word grift below: 👇

Just follow my 2 easy step process to afford that $400 flight to Canada!

Step 1: have $800

Step 2: put $400 into NFT's

voila!

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 25, 2022

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

LifeSunDeath posted:

no humans, no gods

only apes down here

LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHp-454f5-E

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

He's new Apes.
:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

the drat nouveau reeeeee