Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The guests should have simply killed and eaten the Mickey and Minney performers, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
"maybe the ideals the mouse stands for bring them joy" is going to be rattling around in my head for a while.

When I was younger the conversation around Disney was about how they would adapt stories with real meaning into empty calorie fluff, and now apparently there are religion professors researching how that empty calorie fluff gives people's lives meaning. What the gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everything ultimately empty unless you put meaning into it. Sorry if that destroys your worldview if that’s important to you for whatever bizarre reason

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My beer isn't empty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zero_Grade posted:

A non-Roe IOSM (with a free bonus second idiot that they're basing it all on!):

https://twitter.com/jeichlerlevine/status/1533909820453142530

It goes on for a while. Replies are off, so you know she's feeling good about all this.

It's not that people were pathologizing adult Disney fans, we were pathologizing psychos that have a destination wedding without providing food and drinks.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
"Maybe it's the only place their parents ever acted happy" is some theatre-level projection. gently caress this is an amazing thread to understand the broad American psychosis.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

religion professors researching how that empty calorie fluff gives people's lives meaning

seems like that’s pretty much their job
obviously religions have some meaningful content, like being kind to others, but they’re mostly fluff

<—— actual regular churchgoer here speaking

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

seems like that’s pretty much their job
obviously religions have some meaningful content, like being kind to others, but they’re mostly fluff

<—— actual regular churchgoer here speaking

Yeah they can research it as their job but if the conclusion they draw is that Disney replacing religion in people's lives is a good thing then I cast aspersions on that research.

You're really going to go to bat for people with such a warped value system that they don't feed the guests at they're wedding?

Do you really think Disney movies are just as effective a source of meaning as the stories they are adapted from?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Jun 25, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I assume that this is one of those if your hammer everything’s a nail.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Hamlet's ok but have you seen The Lion King?

I've never read any Greek mythology but I've seen Disney's Hercules so I get the gist.

I love The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Who's Victor Hugo?

Statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged, they have played us for absolute fools

Blackula Vs. Tarantula has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jun 25, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I honestly can't think of a better burn against Disney Adults than studying them for your religious studies paper

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Disney Adults provide great content by making entitled mothers lose their poo poo over pretzel line-ups, I'm not going to hate them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The original hunchback of Notre Dame sucks. I’m glad it’s dead

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe we should interpret her findings opposite to what she wants. Instead of raising Disney to the level of a religion, maybe it's bringing religion down the level of Disney.

"Ugh, you got married in a church, presided over by a priest?! Gross, might as well have gotten married on Splash Mountain, officiated by B'rer Rabbit."

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Somfin posted:

"Maybe it's the only place their parents ever acted happy" is some theatre-level projection. gently caress this is an amazing thread to understand the broad American psychosis.

By this logic, movie theaters should be my favorite places on earth.

The few times we went to movies as a kid were some of the few times I remember my parents not fighting. :haw: Guess that's what happens when you go to a place where you're expected to be quiet!

You're really going to go to bat for people with such a warped value system that they don't feed the guests at they're wedding?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think AQ was defending the Disney adults? I think they were more agreeing with you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Abstract: In this experiment we lock a religious Disney fan, a religious Disney hater, an atheist Disney hater, and an atheist Disney fan in a room and see who kills whom first

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I mean, I like Disney well enough and I'm in my mid-30's. The films tend to be fun, and I did the Epcot Food & Wine Festival a few years ago. It was an absolute blast, 100% recommend as an adult if you have the least amount of interest. Would totally have gone again since then but *gestures at the last two years*. But....Disney Adults man, on so many other levels. My girlfriend and I have a running joke that the more annual pass stickers a person has on their car, the crazier they almost certainly are (our record sighting so far is five).

Also for those that didn't click to reveal, it comes out in some edits to the original reddit post that the Mouse Meal cost $2750 per 30 minute meal. There were two meals and no guests were invited to meet the characters. Vending machines were available though!

Inceltown posted:

Isn't she the one that shoehorns everything in life to be about her Disney religious studies bugbear?
No clue but based on that thread, I could totally believe it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I assume that this is one of those if your hammer everything’s a nail.
This kind of self-promotion is absolutely shameless!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Zero_Grade posted:

Also for those that didn't click to reveal, it comes out in some edits to the original reddit post that the Mouse Meal cost $2750 per 30 minute meal. There were two meals and no guests were invited to meet the characters. Vending machines were available though!

Mickey! Jesus! For that price, they better be serving me Walt's cryogenically preserved flesh. :stare:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yeah they can research it as their job but if the conclusion they draw is that Disney replacing religion in people's lives is a good thing then I cast aspersions on that research.

Do you really think Disney movies are just as effective a source of meaning as the stories they are adapted from?
Not feeding people at your wedding is the kind of thing that gets you cursed in the source material.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Not feeding people at your wedding is the kind of thing that gets you cursed in the source material.

Especially when you spend nearly 6k feeding yourself instead.

What does wedding catering charge per head? 50 bucks for fancy stuff?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
That lady loves to write about Disney

quote:

But when I say, “don’t pathologize Disney fans,” I’m getting at this really gendered “These are hysterical fans,” or “these are strange adults who are interested in children,” which just reeks of homophobia, as well.
Making fun of the straight Disney couple reeks of homophobia.

quote:

But now, in the midst of a global pandemic, as I watch Disney fans recreate It’s A Small World in their living rooms and Splash Mountain in their backyards (#HomeMadeDisney), I am reminded, instead, of Judaism, a tradition with a long history of reckoning with exile. The U.S. Disney parks have been closed since March 16. Even when they reopen, as Disney World is slated to do on July 11, they will not be the same: no fireworks, no parades, no hugs from the characters. Disney acolytes are figuring out how to rebuild their way of being during the loss of their center. They are not the first people to face this challenge. Disney fans today are like Judeans after the fall of the temple in Jerusalem.

Judaism might not exist were it not for two great catastrophes, two losses, in the ancient world: the destruction of the first Jerusalem temple by the Babylonians in 586 B.C.E. and the destruction of the second temple by the Romans in 70 C.E. The first of those events catalyzed the process of collecting and editing the books that would form the core of the Hebrew Bible. The second led to the eventual compilation of the Talmud and the rise of Judaism itself: the development of a system that focused on the home, the study house, and the synagogue, on commandments and learning, rather than on temple-based rituals. Out of loss, came something new. The Talmud, an encyclopedic compendium of law and legend, is one giant attempt to build a new system of life: one with memory of the old system— the temple and its sacrifices— at its core.
This is what all of us are coping with right now, not only Disney fans. We are striving to remake our social worlds, our sacred worlds, on new terms. We stream prayer services, hold graduations on Zoom, we celebrate and mourn virtually. It’s not the same. And what about our pilgrimages? What do we do when the navel of our world is lost?
How can we sing a song to the Lord on alien soil?” This poetic cry in Psalm 137 reminds us that religion’s portability is never simple. But the Judeans eventually came up with an answer that worked for them: write it down. Write down the stories and laws so you don’t forget them in a new place. Even more dramatically, after the fall of the second temple, generations of rabbis codified their debates on how and when to do what we now call Judaism.
They knew the best way to keep a people together came in bringing holiness into the quotidian realm. The Walt Disney Company knows this too. Using the hashtag #DisneyMagicMoments, they are giving fans a habitus, a way to recreate their lost temple, daily.
Sad that movie theaters are closed and you can’t come to Disney World to meet the characters? Learn how to draw them from Oscar-winning animators. Miss Disney park treats? Make this recipe for “The Grey Stuff” (“It’s delicious!”) from the Be Our Guest restaurant. 

I could include more dumb passages from the article but this post would run too long. Guess who makes a lazy comparison between Disneyland and Mecca.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Jun 25, 2022

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
seems like the true villain here is disney for charging so much for poo poo. also the wedding industry for the same.

also the couple. and that twitter lady.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Light Gun Man posted:

seems like the true villain here is disney for charging so much for poo poo. also the wedding industry for the same.

also the couple. and that twitter lady.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If only Disney provided the same services but at a lower price point

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Oh, I definitely don’t agree with her conclusion.

quote:

Absolutely not. But also, that’s true of many fundamentalist Christian weddings!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I do not know how to properly encapsulate the hate I feel towards this person at the current moment.

I feel like you could find-replace disney with "the pub" and get the same effect tbh.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Might be worth living with the Disney crazies if religion gets destroyed in the bargain.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

Might be worth living with the Disney crazies if religion gets destroyed in the bargain.

worth it long run, perhaps. couple generations and disney will just be the lame stuff your parents like and kids won't give a poo poo maybe? get rid of both in 100 years or so.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Re: the Disney Religion lady.

She's just writing a book so she's posting a bunch of really stupid viral poo poo to drum up marketing for it eventually for those sweet controversy dollars.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Oh, I definitely don’t agree with her conclusion.

Absolutely not. But also, that’s true of many fundamentalist Christian weddings!

Every day I learn something even weirder about christians. Sorry for being snippy at you, like I said I now have to have the phrase "maybe the ideals the mouse stands for bring them joy" in my brain and I guess that put me on edge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Internet is about to get a lot stupider.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1540532977247129600?t=yJbuS6DnUPtAO6cVW8kr1g&s=19

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe we should interpret her findings opposite to what she wants. Instead of raising Disney to the level of a religion, maybe it's bringing religion down the level of Disney.

"Ugh, you got married in a church, presided over by a priest?! Gross, might as well have gotten married on Splash Mountain, officiated by B'rer Rabbit."

there is a church that apparently does a big easter sunday play every year, parodying some big popular franchise while integrating the crucifixion of jesus. they really like disney.

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1517666964885233665

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1517643335833251840

https://twitter.com/bb_kate_art/status/1518720397184700417

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1517679061266419713

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We went to Disney World on my family's dime a few years ago and it's super fun as an adult. Just got tipsy with my now-wife and enjoyed the theme park attractions, giant turkey legs, and genuinely decent to good restaurants and bars after dark. Weirdly international crowd too. That's right I said it, Disney World is fun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We went to Disney World on my family's dime a few years ago and it's super fun as an adult. Just got tipsy with my now-wife and enjoyed the theme park attractions, giant turkey legs, and genuinely decent to good restaurants and bars after dark. Weirdly international crowd too. That's right I said it, Disney World is fun.

It’s Universal, but the Harry Potter stuff at Islands of Adventure is also unfortunately a good time.

Content: This is a Democratic congressman. The tweet did not last very long.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the gently caress is he doing?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s Universal, but the Harry Potter stuff at Islands of Adventure is also unfortunately a good time.

Content: This is a Democratic congressman. The tweet did not last very long.

I turn inward, I say, as I cram my head up my own rear end. Suddenly I realize that the supreme court decision was actually about me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is he doing the bit from metal gear rising where armstrong looks at the camera through his own legs?

Is he trying to headbutt that brick?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

the gently caress is he doing?

Trying to cram his head up his rear end, judging by what he wrote.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/Eve_Barlow/status/1540346186380349441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
eve fartlow