Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sonic Mania was million plus seller, I'm sure it was very successful for Sega. The real reason we don't have a sequel is probably because Christina Whitehead & Evening Star Studio just want to do their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Of course I know that Mania was greenlit and worked on by none other than Sega. But I also don't know why Mania 2 or similar hasn't come out in 5 years when it was the best Sonic product to be released in many years. When it comes out and is good then I'll let Sonic come and make me eat those words.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I blame Sonic for not knowing when to say "no" to a role. Next he's gonna be on reality TV or on his own Netflix special complaining about being canceled for calling Mario a spaghetti-slurping sellout on Twitter.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What Sonic really needs is for an eccentric and passionate billionaire to buy up the franchise and spin Sonic Team into its own studio with some measure of sanity applied to its structure and use of talent, and also that billionaire should be me, and me and Izuka will go out drinking together.

Elon musk is gonna buy Sonic and make it into an nft game

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Ah, thanks for the details :) I usually groan when I see people going "Sega is JEALOUS that the fans made a better game than them!!!" but it was only making that post I remembered that corporate jealousy politics has a long history at Sega, good to hear that's not so much a thing anymore.

To continue with "poo poo I half remember", I think when Capcom did a retro revival with Mega Man 9, it sold pretty well but then 10 sold worse because I guess the shine of "new game like game from 20 years ago" wore off for a lot of people and that would be the justification at Sega for no Mania 2? Whether that's a good reason to not make Mania 2 is another question, but it seems more likely than the jealousy angle people run with. Who the gently caress knows really

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Also, thanks to this discussion i realized Sonic Adventure 2 is over 20 years old

and it's sucked for every one of them

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sonic 1 special stages are making me motion sick

Are there any trophies for doing them or anything on playstation. Trying to get everything in story mode and no idea if I actually have to or not

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic 1's special stages were designed by sickos and perverts

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sonic 1 special stages are making me motion sick

Are there any trophies for doing them or anything on playstation. Trying to get everything in story mode and no idea if I actually have to or not

No, you don't need to get all the chaos emeralds in Sonic 1. The only related trophy is turning into Super Sonic, so you do need to collect all the emeralds in either Sonic 2 or Sonic 3K. But you can also probably use debug mode to just cheat that trophy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, 24 hours, called it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2824942881&insideModal=1

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Procrastine posted:

To continue with "poo poo I half remember", I think when Capcom did a retro revival with Mega Man 9, it sold pretty well but then 10 sold worse because I guess the shine of "new game like game from 20 years ago" wore off for a lot of people and that would be the justification at Sega for no Mania 2? Whether that's a good reason to not make Mania 2 is another question, but it seems more likely than the jealousy angle people run with. Who the gently caress knows really

Part of that is MM9/10 being so back to precisely MM2 basics, 10 coming so soon after 9, and MM already having a brand history oversaturation, but tbh yeah I think a Mania 2 would've caught a lot less attention and praise without being something other than a level pack, even a wholly original one.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

This thread is convincing me even more of that "Sega is angry that fans made a game better than their capitalist poo poo pile" narrative, guys, sorry.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Why the gently caress are we blaming Sega for mj being a child molester? Literally all Sega has to do to justify removing the music is to point at how that loving degenerate's "fans" are reacting to the news. You're free to mod the game as you want, but please stop pretending the king of pop wasn't a loving sex fiend.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

TheNamedSavior posted:

This thread is convincing me even more of that "Sega is angry that fans made a game better than their capitalist poo poo pile" narrative, guys, sorry.

I also want to note that politics is not just simply "grrrrr if I can't make a good Sonic game then no one else should be able to!". If you're a mediocre game developer and suddenly someone comes in and makes a game good enough to make you look bad, it's your livelihood at stake. You don't even need to be angry to realize that it's in your best interest to support your own team over outsiders, no matter how good they may be.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the gently caress are we blaming Sega for mj being a child molester?

Who exactly is doing this? All I've seen anyone say is "the MJ tracks are better/the way things were when I played this as a child and I want to play the game with them". That and "The instrumentation on the Origins versions of the replacement tracks is bad"

edit: Like I'm sure someone, somewhere is being lovely about this but it feels silly to complain about this hypothetical Online Guy

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 25, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why the gently caress are we blaming Sega for mj being a child molester? Literally all Sega has to do to justify removing the music is to point at how that loving degenerate's "fans" are reacting to the news. You're free to mod the game as you want, but please stop pretending the king of pop wasn't a loving sex fiend.

we’re not and also that’s probably not the reason the tracks aren’t in the game. music licensing is a shitshow, and exponentially more so when the multi-billion dollar estate of a superstar like mj is involved.

they could’ve done a better job with the replacement tracks tho

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 25, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Look I'm just an old man who wants his old timey music back okay

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hikaki posted:

I also want to note that politics is not just simply "grrrrr if I can't make a good Sonic game then no one else should be able to!". If you're a mediocre game developer and suddenly someone comes in and makes a game good enough to make you look bad, it's your livelihood at stake. You don't even need to be angry to realize that it's in your best interest to support your own team over outsiders, no matter how good they may be.
that’s not how any of this works

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trip report: I'm using the mod that puts the good-sounding prototype tracks back in and fixes whatever the gently caress they did to the rest of the music and I'm happy as lawrence

also S-ranked all the S3K missions and all but one of the S1 missions. those ex missions are tricky

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

that’s not how any of this works

Again, I'm very happy for you that you work in an industry where this does not happen.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

TheNamedSavior posted:

I've only been made aware of your existence for a couple of weeks and every single post you make in at least 3-4 threads follows this pattern:

"EVERYONE IS ANGRY ABOUT [a position that is made up by TheNameSavior] AND REFUSES TO SHUT UP ABOUT IT"

then

"I REFUSE TO SHUT UP ABOUT [being mad about a hypothetical everyone that is angry about the position that is made up]"

Your behaviour is embarrassing and it should be clear at this point video games are not a good outlet for you to release your frustrations at. Consider other activities, save for posting words about video games on the internet.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

All Sega had to do is NOT to gently caress this up. They hosed this up. Stealth is right. Senoue still blows.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 25, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to Cybershell doing another gently caress you sega run.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hikaki posted:

Again, I'm very happy for you that you work in an industry where this does not happen.

I’m not saying it never happens, I’m saying that in this situation what you posted doesn’t apply. Nobody’s livelihood is at risk because what amounts to a small budget 2D throwback platformer developed primarily by contractors was better received than what the salaried permanent employees who have been churning this stuff out for decades made. And even if the usual Sonic Team suspects were taken off of the next Sonic project because gamernews.gently caress gave Mania a 5/5 or whatever, they’d just work on another project like Puyo Puyo or Sakura Wars. R&D2 makes more than just Sonic.

There’s also this notion that Mania is universally seen as a superior product when there are tons of younger fans who prefer modern Sonic games and will buy whatever he’s in, or casual audiences who don’t have the patience for retro games and would rather watch Sonic go really fast in a straight line and blow up robots in HD. Mania is an immaculately designed game, but it’s also aimed at a specific audience, and that audience isn’t the primary target for Sonic as a franchise.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Look, all I'm saying is that I can absolutely see politics being a factor in why Sega does what it does. You don't and that's ok. Ultimately, unless either of us have insider info (I don't), we're both just talking out of our asses so we should just stop talking about this.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So what’s wrong with CD? Just sound mixing issues?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Negostrike posted:

All Sega had to do is NOT to gently caress this up. They hosed this up. Stealth is right. Senoue still blows.

Ehh. Game is good.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm sure it would satisfy me as well (not feeling like spending 40 bucks on it though), but it's a shame there's some bullshit going on at Sega, especially with their interactions with Headcannon. Not surprising, of course.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kinda weird to attribute this to malice as if Sega would never be stupid enough to rush a game to meet an unrealistic deadline or accidentally add more bugs to the remake after it was handed to them

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Looking forward to Cybershell doing another gently caress you sega run.

The FuckYouSega% run should absolutely be a catagory at a speedrun event where people speedrun the Sonic Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, CD Restored, and Sonic 3 Air all the while saying "gently caress you, sega" when they jump least they get a time penality.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Augus posted:

kinda weird to attribute this to malice as if Sega would never be stupid enough to rush a game to meet an unrealistic deadline or accidentally add more bugs to the remake after it was handed to them

Yeah, 'gently caress it, get it out the door despite the bugs' has been obvious in literally every single Sonic game since the Dreamcast, with the sole exception of Generations, which somehow got polished, and maybe the original Colors.

Even Mania had a huge post-release patch that actually finished the game and added all those missing transitions and things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheNamedSavior posted:

Didn't MJ's plastic surgery addiction purportedly start off from when he was performing at a Sega event and his hair caught fire?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MikeJF posted:

Even Mania had a huge post-release patch that actually finished the game and added all those missing transitions and things.

Don't forget the Switch version's crash issues either

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't MJ's plastic surgery addiction purportedly start off from when he was performing at a Sega event and his hair caught fire?

I dunno if you're taking the piss but it was suppositively '84 and a Pepsi commercial.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Augus posted:

we’re not and also that’s probably not the reason the tracks aren’t in the game. music licensing is a shitshow, and exponentially more so when the multi-billion dollar estate of a superstar like mj is involved.

they could’ve done a better job with the replacement tracks tho

that doesn't really explain it though since the music they used in sonic origins is also by michael jackson

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

whaley posted:

that doesn't really explain it though since the music they used in sonic origins is also by michael jackson

That’s right, he wrote the new invincibility theme

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's funny how Sonic 2 ends with the bonus mobile cutscene showing the death egg crashing into Angel Island and then the shiny new animated cutscene showing the death egg crashing into Angel Island again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

hatty posted:

So what’s wrong with CD? Just sound mixing issues?
I traveled forward in time once and got stuck in the level geometry.

I guess it really was a bad future :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it just me or is Sonic 1 not very fun at all? This level design is more infuriating than anything else. Maybe I just haven’t improved in 25 years, IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Master System Sonic 1 is better than the Genesis one and should be in the collection as a fun bonus