Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Mio's ouroboros form looks like Kos-mos v3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah thinkgs are getting dope, started into the high entia tomb and the story is definitely picking up.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wtf the sea at night is crazy cool as well, falling stars and poo poo.

game owns.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRei_4ZPkTw

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fuckin hell poo poo kicks off at prison island, just finished the fight and stuff there and hoo boy, this story is going places.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alxprit posted:

Not a shitpost, but I thought the D might be for Dickson, since there's a possibility he didn't die, though slim, and being a giant he'd be able to live for very long.

Ooohhhh that makes sense. That would be a cool choice.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

queeb posted:

fuckin hell poo poo kicks off at prison island, just finished the fight and stuff there and hoo boy, this story is going places.

When you go to Sword Valley and the connected areas, there are lots of little side areas, surprise quests and secrets. Do them now and collect all the collectopedia items now because you will lose access to it later. Bonus points if you beat all the unique Mechon for those sweet affinity coins.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Don't worry about the fortress unit one that's like level 75 or whatever. All of those units suck and the uniques triply so. When you get to that level point you'll probably still be able to come back. Also make sure your average level is as high as possible coming out of Galahad Fortress.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alxprit posted:

Don't worry about the fortress unit one that's like level 75 or whatever. All of those units suck and the uniques triply so. When you get to that level point you'll probably still be able to come back. Also make sure your average level is as high as possible coming out of Galahad Fortress.

I think you are thinking of a particularly nasty mechon that’s in a later area. The ones in Sword Valley/the other place only max out at lv 57. They’re definitely all doable the first time through.

Edit: okay you’re talking about Mischievious Naberius, who is the lv 57 fortress-type unique mechon.

Thinking back, I think I did come back later at a higher level to beat that guy but only him.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 24, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Alxprit posted:

Not a shitpost, but I thought the D might be for Dickson, since there's a possibility he didn't die, though slim, and being a giant he'd be able to live for very long.

D stands for Dughall

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't remember anything about 2. I should fix this, but lol playing it from the beginning.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wtf why is every zone gorgeous at night, im at valak mountains and dang.

and absolute banger songs

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Valak Mountain is probably my favorite night zone. Ice zone + purple and yellow looks so good.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

queeb posted:

wtf why is every zone gorgeous at night, im at valak mountains and dang.

and absolute banger songs

this is what is known as "The Xenoblade Experience"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god shulks voice actor loving slays it.

also yeah, game is getting real good, just finished valak mountain and drat son

edit: I also hit metal face dude for 100k damage with monado buster and it was sweet

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

queeb posted:

god shulks voice actor loving slays it.

This, as well as him loving everybody, is why people find it easier to hate on Rex by comparison

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FioooooooooOOOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAAAAA!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chronojam posted:

This, as well as him loving everybody, is why people find it easier to hate on Rex by comparison

My main issue with Rex largely stems from his appearance just being kind of goofy and making the Pyra/Mythra romance feel weird. He's basically a child (and to the game's credit Zeke/Morag treat him like one - in general I really like their role in the party, as reliable* figures who try to assist and guide Rex), but it makes the core relationship between him and Pyra/Mythra feel kind of weird. I'm very relieved that in XC3 the main couple (I think it's safe to assume this anyways) actually look like two young adults of a similar age.

Rex has some personality (mainly centering around having a job that he enjoys and is good at, with the salvaging stuff), but doesn't get a chance to show it very often. Granted, Shulk isn't really that different (has the trait of "curious guy who likes engineering/machines" + the same sort of Good Guy Protagonist stuff Rex has), particularly beyond a certain point in the game. But he looks less goofy and has strong preexisting relationships with multiple members of the party.

* even though he acts goofy, Zeke is reliable and has a number of good scenes where he talks with Rex, or talks with Morag about Rex

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i saw the huge boobs on the one character in XB2 and it seems so weird when XB1 seems pretty tame on the fan service stuff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
bro every character in XB1 except Riki has swimsuit armor as an option

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, but it's an option. Pyra/Mythra will always look the same in cutscenes - it's impossible to get them to wear normal clothes (outside of maybe some challenge mode DLC stuff?).

queeb posted:

i saw the huge boobs on the one character in XB2 and it seems so weird when XB1 seems pretty tame on the fan service stuff.

It's the combination of that and the child-like appearance of the protagonist that bugs me and made it completely impossible for me to enjoy the primary romance.

You get used to it (and the characters themselves are fine), but I'm definitely happy that they're returning to more reasonable designs in XC3.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Junpei posted:

bro every character in XB1 except Riki has swimsuit armor as an option

He's got the swim vest!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just noticed that apparently my TV's "smooth motion" settings actually seem to work really well with XC2. They make panning the camera super smooth (panning the camera probably being the biggest problem in an open-world game with 30fps like this) and it doesn't look noticeably different from something actually running with a high framerate.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the only person in a skimpy outfit in my game is dunban, cause he seems like the kind of dude to fight shirtless.

and he has an eye patch

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
just finished my ng+ playthrough of XBC2 and cant decide if I should grind out the challenge missions and the 10 or so rare blades I'm still missing, or finally play through Torna. I can't remember why I bounced off Torna before

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

My main issue with Rex largely stems from his appearance just being kind of goofy and making the Pyra/Mythra romance feel weird. He's basically a child (and to the game's credit Zeke/Morag treat him like one - in general I really like their role in the party, as reliable* figures who try to assist and guide Rex), but it makes the core relationship between him and Pyra/Mythra feel kind of weird. I'm very relieved that in XC3 the main couple (I think it's safe to assume this anyways) actually look like two young adults of a similar age.
Agree. He looks like a 12 year old romancing his babysitter or smth. The vibes are weird.

In contrast I really liked the Torna crew, even though the game was way shorter. The dramatic irony in knowing how the story ends definitely added to the flavor. Can't remember a game doing that since Lufia 2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharla's pretty consistently goofy but people tend to forget on the basis of being really boring as both a playable character and in general.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Would XC2’s whole deal have been more reasonable if Pyra/Mythra looked younger, or Rex looked older?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No love for short kings in here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mea Tulpa posted:

Agree. He looks like a 12 year old romancing his babysitter or smth. The vibes are weird.

Yeah, that's a good description of it. The whole "romancing two separate women who are kinda the same person but also not" thing also adds to the weird vibes. And it's almost like the writers knew this, since there were never any direct display of romance (which would have been extremely awkward).

TheKingofSprings posted:

Would XC2’s whole deal have been more reasonable if Pyra/Mythra looked younger, or Rex looked older?

I'd kinda say both, with Rex being a little older and Pyra/Mythra being a little younger. So a Rex that looked more like "a teeanger who is older than 15" and Pyra and Mythra who looked younger than the "vaguely in their 20s, or at least college-age" they look in the game. A young Rex/Pyra/Mythra does add something to the story (as mentioned, it's partly what defines Morag and Zeke's relationships with them). They could be older, but it would require changing the entire dynamic of their characters and the party as a whole.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably! If Rex, Pyra, Mythra, and Nia all looked roughly the same, it'd probably weird some people out.

Or the flipside where they had designs that leaned more like Pyra and Mythra.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Regardless of any improvement in design Rex would still be bad because he is the most stock of shonen protags yet whenever he needs to shout a battle cry it always sounds incredibly lame.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

No love for short kings in here.

Manlets be gone

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'd have liked it to be closer to something like the relationship Link has with his various female helpers over the years, where it's often a strong bond bordering on love that never quite crosses the line due to the obvious and acknowledged incompatibles.

Rex and Pyra / Mythra kept doubling down in a way that was both surprising and really icky. To continue the Zelda comparison, it'd be like WW's child Link being paired romantically with TP's adult Midna, and in the end getting romantically involved with both imp Midna and true form Midna

It didn't ruin XB2 for me, though, and I adore Rex. It helps that even though the relationship is weird and the vibes are bad, Rex himself is entirely without blame and never gets creepy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

I'd have liked it to be closer to something like the relationship Link has with his various female helpers over the years, where it's often a strong bond bordering on love that never quite crosses the line due to the obvious and acknowledged incompatibles.

Rex and Pyra / Mythra kept doubling down in a way that was both surprising and really icky. To continue the Zelda comparison, it'd be like WW's child Link being paired romantically with TP's adult Midna, and in the end getting romantically involved with both imp Midna and true form Midna

It didn't ruin XB2 for me, though, and I adore Rex. It helps that even though the relationship is weird and the vibes are bad, Rex himself is entirely without blame and never gets creepy

Or a Nopon dating anything but another Nopon. And ditto for with a Lalafel instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of the weirder things in XC2 in hindsight is the fact that (as far as I can recall) Azurda is literally the only titan who can talk. All the others are not only not sapient, but apparently so non-sapient that it's not considered unethical to turn them into living boats with electronics hooks into their nerves.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

XC2 is the worst game I spent 160 hours on.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ytlaya posted:

One of the weirder things in XC2 in hindsight is the fact that (as far as I can recall) Azurda is literally the only titan who can talk. All the others are not only not sapient, but apparently so non-sapient that it's not considered unethical to turn them into living boats with electronics hooks into their nerves.

(bolding mine)
Making a LOT of assumptions about the average morality of the XB2 nations there, buddy.

So that this is not just a shitpost, I did notice it but I always assumed all the other titans were like Azurda and we just didn't bother/need talking to them. I mean, Rex lived on Azurda at the start of the game.
Of course the ethical implications of the titans being sentient are... a lot. Let's go with a lot. (sidenote, the indoline titan was lobotomized like 2 millennia ago under this interpretation because Indol)

Considering the blade cycle, I'd assume Klaus put in some hard-coded desire and/or acceptance of this into the titan form.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everything about the world of XB2 has unfortunate ethical implications, really should just have zapped that place out of existence at the end of the story it would have been a mercy for all involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

queeb posted:

Seems like you haven’t seen many of Sharla’s armor options yet