Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sydin posted:

Speaking of Sylvain, I'm kinda torn on his characterization. On the one hand the fact that he's got his poo poo together now because he's trying to support Dimitri and Felix is interesting, but on the other hand he's now just... kinda there? Like even when it's revealed that Miklan is alive and has been press-ganged into serving Dimitri he doesn't really have a whole lot to say about it which feels weird. IDK it's early yet maybe his new character will go places, but so far it just feels like in the process of stripping out almost all his negative character traits he barely has anything left going on.

I'm assuming he'll get something when his dad inevitably dies and/or joins the party (come on, they gave the dude art and a model, something's gonna happen to him), but yeah. I have seen one support conversation with him so far that I thought shed a new light on him, though, where he discusses how his parents fight all the time and aren't particularly good parents to him, suggesting his attitude about marriage and relationships as a crest-bearer may have started early

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's weird and I wonder if it's a technical limitation but it really feels like that there aren't enough mooks to kill for S-ranks; you really need to WP break a lot to get the kills in some maps or else you won't make the quota. The 5th map of GD takes 1800 kills to get S-rank and i never felt like there were enough dudes to kill.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Playing on hard is quite the difference from the demo and my FEW endgame save. It's quite a pain to get S ranks, they are insanely tight! Like only take 40% damage and do it in 7 minutes, while I remember FEW S ranks more in the region of 15 mins and 80% so quite the change.

As well speaking of difficulty clearing the crowds, how combos work has absolutely changed. FEW had a pretty standard combo layout of launcher, aoe, guard opener, guard breaker, biggest most powerful but slow move that hits the whole screen. I can't quite figure out what each combo is good for, and it almost feels like it varies by class now. I certainly have no idea how to easily rack up the kills, especially as one hit trash kills are out. (well maybe til I upgrade weapons.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Okay, I'm calling it now, but the best dark magic users will likely be Male Shez, Hubert, and Male Arval because Essence of Darkness is disgusting as an ability if you're focused on using dark-based attacks.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
sad to see that lorenz is, once again, kind of trash stat-wise

great character, but his str and mag are both 10 points behind the physical and magic focused units... which only makes him look worse when compared to Shez, who can actually use both at the same time already, and is in the top echelon of the entire army. Granted, Shez has the innate bonus of "being the protagonist" but still. RIP Lorenz, at least this game has the ability to re-roll stats.

(yes i know musou games dont have nearly as much focus on character stats over weapon stats but its still funny)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Eimi posted:

Playing on hard is quite the difference from the demo and my FEW endgame save. It's quite a pain to get S ranks, they are insanely tight! Like only take 40% damage and do it in 7 minutes, while I remember FEW S ranks more in the region of 15 mins and 80% so quite the change.

As well speaking of difficulty clearing the crowds, how combos work has absolutely changed. FEW had a pretty standard combo layout of launcher, aoe, guard opener, guard breaker, biggest most powerful but slow move that hits the whole screen. I can't quite figure out what each combo is good for, and it almost feels like it varies by class now. I certainly have no idea how to easily rack up the kills, especially as one hit trash kills are out. (well maybe til I upgrade weapons.)

Going by the Warlock class:

C1: A special move based on class.

C2: Launcher.

C3: Stun Gauge depletion

C4: Knockback move (knocks enemies back)

C5: Crowdgathering move with good damage

C6: High-damage crowdclearer

If an attack has an element associated with it, it becomes more awesome with an essence or with an ability that gives you that element for your attacks. (i.e. Warlock's C3 and C6 are Lightning moves, so Holst's unique action or Essence of Lightning will make them even better.)

How good those moves are varies on the class, and the Archer moveset swaps the knockback move for something else, but this is basically what each move does.

Blaziken386 posted:

sad to see that lorenz is, once again, kind of trash stat-wise

great character, but his str and mag are both 10 points behind the physical and magic focused units... which only makes him look worse when compared to Shez, who can actually use both at the same time already, and is in the top echelon of the entire army. Granted, Shez has the innate bonus of "being the protagonist" but still. RIP Lorenz, at least this game has the ability to re-roll stats.

(yes i know musou games dont have nearly as much focus on character stats over weapon stats but its still funny)

I focused him into magic-wielding classes, and he's currently a magic monster who just. Doesn't. Die! because of his unique action.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
By the way if you're not already doing so, make sure to go out of your way to get to the extra missions if you can (little crossed swords icon in the war map, there's a timer on as well) as they give loads of gold relative to normal missions and also a nice stack of rusted weapons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's nice to see our Fodlan pals again, but so far, this game has the exact same problem as Age of Calamity: there's absolutely no difficulty or strategy involved on Normal, and if you turn it up to Hard, there's still no difficulty or strategy, but the enemies take four times as long to die.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It's nice to see our Fodlan pals again, but so far, this game has the exact same problem as Age of Calamity: there's absolutely no difficulty or strategy involved on Normal, and if you turn it up to Hard, there's still no difficulty or strategy, but the enemies take four times as long to die.
to be fair thats accurate to the source material, the strategy required in three houses was "attach unit to wyvern, press the win button"

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I miss the old turn based strategy game. Realtime micromanagement and having 4? Slots per battle sucks. Mash button until dead itsnt a huge upgrade over turn based gameplay.

I beat all four stories in 3 houses on insane and after the demo I cant even be bothered to buy 3 hopes

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 25, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was briefly worried that I'd killed Dorothea in a side mission but since she didn't have a death animation I figured out pretty quick I hadn't.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Another fun dichotomy between Three Houses and Three Hopes: recruiting. In Three Houses you recruit people because you’re such a cool and good teacher who everyone loves and in Three Hopes they’re basically just prisoners of war. When I recruited Bernadetta over to the Lions she was like “uh what the gently caress have I done why am I here am I gonna have to fight my old friends now”

It’s weird that we just shove high ranking enemy soldiers into our force with no thought of them ever betraying us

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder if playing to the inspiration bonus is a mistake, at least on hard, it feels like my units are pretty drastically underleveled. Really feels like I should be grinding exp since I'm maybe level 10ish and the enemy is in the 30s.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DC Murderverse posted:

Another fun dichotomy between Three Houses and Three Hopes: recruiting. In Three Houses you recruit people because you’re such a cool and good teacher who everyone loves and in Three Hopes they’re basically just prisoners of war. When I recruited Bernadetta over to the Lions she was like “uh what the gently caress have I done why am I here am I gonna have to fight my old friends now”

It’s weird that we just shove high ranking enemy soldiers into our force with no thought of them ever betraying us

The great thing is you can just bench them for the rest of the game and treat them as actual POWs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

That might just be a Lion's thing, when I recruited Hapi and Constance on Eagles, they were very happy that they joined my side.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I loved that Hapi, true to character, doesn't really give a poo poo.

Also Petra and Dedue's support is delightfully wholesome.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Eimi posted:

That might just be a Lion's thing, when I recruited Hapi and Constance on Eagles, they were very happy that they joined my side.
no, that's specifically a Bernadetta thing, because the same thing happens when recruited on Golden Deer :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
BL route has been really interesting so far, I thought it was just going to focus entirely on the war with the Empire but instead it's been a lot more about the internal politics of the Kingdom and Cornelia being a piece of poo poo. Also the interactions between the Lions now that they're (almost) all in power and Dimitri isn't an insane man are really good, Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain, and Dedue in particular make for some really good dialogue. Also while it's cheesy and predictable I really like this new plot beat where a huge force of Duscar troops shows up to support the war effort and when Dimitri is flustered about it they go "the only ones here are those who volunteered." The kingdom is collossally in the poo poo but there are some places where Dimitri's managed to start healing old wounds. :unsmith:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
truly activating a goku stage and getting some weird lines on my face is just like turning into a spooky bald dude with 50% more forehead then normal

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

no, that's specifically a Bernadetta thing, because the same thing happens when recruited on Golden Deer :v:

Yeah. Constance in particular is quite happy to be with the Eagles given her past.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

game owns

poor Monica, in one game she dies offscreen, and in the other game there’s no romance system so she can’t marry edelgard. girl never catches a break

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Everyone after Hapi/Constance on the Eagles is mostly a POW too. Though there are some hilarious exceptions like Ignatz who joins up because Hubert is super impressed with an ambush he pulls off on you.

Also it might have been uh kinder to not recruit Ashe. Because goddamn [spoiler]you emotionally blackmail him by making him remember how gutted Lonato was when his other son died and he's then just incredibly uncomfortable about fighting anyone from Ferghus[/spoiler]

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Everyone after Hapi/Constance on the Eagles is mostly a POW too. Though there are some hilarious exceptions like Ignatz who joins up because Hubert is super impressed with an ambush he pulls off on you.

Also it might have been uh kinder to not recruit Ashe. Because goddamn [spoiler]you emotionally blackmail him by making him remember how gutted Lonato was when his other son died and he's then just incredibly uncomfortable about fighting anyone from Ferghus[/spoiler]

I see Shez learned their personal skills from Mother Base.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

I see Shez learned their personal skills from Mother Base.

Why do you think Balthus has that bandana?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why do you think Balthus has that bandana?

Infinite Punches.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

game owns

poor Monica, in one game she dies offscreen, and in the other game there’s no romance system so she can’t marry edelgard. girl never catches a break
Monica is amazing and I'm so glad they included her.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Wow, Holst. They talked him up in Three Houses so much and they don't disappoint once they finally give him to you in this game. Dude straight up feels like Lu Bu compared to everyone else you have when you can play him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is there a free mode, guys? or is it just a straight campaign to ng+

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

is there a free mode, guys? or is it just a straight campaign to ng+

Once you hit Chapter 5 you can freely replay any previous map and deploy anyone at least. Not sure if it opens even more later.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

Wow, Holst. They talked him up in Three Houses so much and they don't disappoint once they finally give him to you in this game. Dude straight up feels like Lu Bu compared to everyone else you have when you can play him.

It's more the class than anything, although his unique skill is strong. Swordmaster is pretty rad.

On hard though he joined at lvl 15 when all the enemies were like 30+ though :effort:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i love holst but also i cant help but internally call him archibald

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

not to double post but oh no i just got to the part of the plot where sothis shows up and shes once again the best character, even if she has more of her memories back and is therefore slightly evil(?)

also god its so loving nice that byleth actually talks outside of level-up quotes now

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

Ashe is absolutely miserable when you recruit them as the BE lol

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm chapter 8 Golden Wildfire and it's so nice that they actually wrote a plot for Claude. He gets to scheme and be tricky and actually hold his faction together and everything. A bit sad Nader hasn't joined yet, but I'm sure it's in the cards.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

To be honest Ashe doesn’t get it a whole lot better sticking around with the Lions since you kill his adopted dad anyways

Augus posted:

game owns

There’s no actual marriage but this game feels way more gay than 3 Houses. Dedue giving Dimitri his lance back when you rescue him from Cornelia is definitely a boyfriend moment. As a whole the Lions story really feels like a response to the reaction to Azure Moon. More integration of Duscur, Dimitri isn’t completely inconsolable for half the thing, him and Dedue are even closer and Felix gets the sort of agency he probably should have always had as a counterpoint to Dimitri.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s no actual marriage but this game feels way more gay than 3 Houses.
every support conversation hilda has with another girl seems to involve her thinking theyre cute

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My main complaint so far is that the game is kinda inconsistent with who gets supports with whom. It’s nice they gave us new options/pairings since they show us some new sides of characters but why does e.g. Constance act like a total stranger to Ferdinand despite them being childhood friends / apparently betrothed at some point in their teens / obviously meant to be together in three houses?

Game otherwise owns though

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

(chapter 9 spoilers)
lmao okay claude has officially gone full caesar. "Isn't it nice not being restrained by bureaucracy? Anyways I'm just gonna immediately deploy my shiny new army on some of these territories that don't like my new government."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, it's why the dictator position existed, and who knows? Maybe he'll give it up afterwards. Or not.