Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I did like that article on Captain Marvel Shazam, while he definitely borrows a lot from Superman, I think he's different enough and in a lot of ways more interesting. He's always been one of my favorite comic characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #23 July 1993

Cover

Finally got to the first Wizard I ever bought. I very much remember that Mike Allred interview and that picture of the guy in makeup at the top of Wizard News. I would've been 7 years old, holy moley.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That Erik Larsen letter in that issue’s Magic Words is wild, talk about leaving it all on the table.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I love the Deathmate article saying they'll definitely be out on time, and really, Image's lateness issue isn't an issue at all. That early bit when Image was trying to be a singular universe is pretty interesting, but it's not too surprising that didn't last long for a variety of reasons. You can already see it falling apart with Jim Lee saying Homage Studios bowing out of any future crossovers.

I believe at this point in time Liefeld had already started to throw his weight around and put off the other founders.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I never read Wizard, I was pretty young when it started and by the time I got into comics I remember it being around but never a big thing. That said, I kinda love '90s comics so seeing things as they were seen at the time is pretty fun. It's neat seeing the wild rumours for storylines that we know the endings of.

Also, loving :lol: at Deathmate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ruddiger posted:

That Erik Larsen letter in that issue’s Magic Words is wild, talk about leaving it all on the table.

It is hilariously messy & I was Michelinie used his right of reply to make it even more so

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #24 August 1993 We're getting to the point where there are actually more articles than ever in each issue. So some are going to have to be left out of the initial post. But, if you see something on the contents page that is not posted and want to read it, let me know and I will post it.

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Still Doing This

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile

Random Ads

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently picked up trades for Knightquest to get into some sweet sweet nostalgia and it is impressive how much they set up AzBats as being completely unhinged. I seem to remember reading an interview with O Neil I think it was who said AzBats was created to show how stupid and shallow these gritty anti heroes are, and I always wondered if that was a bit of historical retconning but reading the comics I can see it. I guess the writers couldn't really say that in the Wizard article but Moench comes close to saying it when he talks about how dark AzBats is.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Unless I'm missing something, the title "The Man Without Fear" doesn't appear anywhere leading one to assume the title of this sick new mini is "It's Miller Time!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Three robot arms! With three guns. He is three times the man Cable is.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It’s kind of amusing (but more annoying) how standoffish Wizard are about addressing the Shooter squeeze-out from Valiant. One softball question about it in the new-management interview with Valiant, a five-word sentence about it in the Defiant feature, and a vague allusion to the coup in a sidebar. Must have been worried about losing that fanart prize support.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man, I was exactly the right age to think the Azrael and AzBats costumes were the coolest thing ever when they dropped. I even had a big poster of AzBats. Know how many AzBats comics I bought or have even read at this point? One: the one where he puts on the costume. I also got the Sword of Azrael trade at some point. It's a decent little story, and I'm still a fan of Quesada's art.

I'm going to knock out the last two issues for year two here and give the stats, then I'll try to stick to three issues per post going forward with a year-end recap. I also need to take my mind of this morning's events, and this will help, however briefly.

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

Issue 23, July 1993

#1 Batman #492 (Knightfall Part 1): There's a handful of sales. Loose it runs a couple bucks. Slabbed have gone for a slow as $10 for a 9.4. Some definite QUARTER BIN FODDER here.
#2 Detective Comics #659 (Knightfall Part 2, and Batman starts making a new Batsuit): There's one single sale, and some lot sales, all are a couple bucks. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#4 Bloodshot #6 (Maybe (it is) the first appearance of Ninjak. More importantly, it stars Bloodshot, main character of hit film Bloodshot!): One copy sold for $6, another for a whole penny. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#7 Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1 (First appearance of Bane, low print run): Open copies range from $40-100, while slabbed are running up to $700 for 9.8 copies. Great pick by Wizard here!
#9 Spawn #5 (Low print run I guess?): No individual sales, but a lot including it sold for $2 average per comic. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#10 Amazing Spider-Man #300 (First appearance of Eddie Brock, last of Spider-Man regularly in the black costume): Unslabbed copies are $500+, while slabbed can get another 50% at least on top of that. Two great picks in one month by Wizard! (This one is probably a bit of an asterisk, though, as I'm sure this issue was already reasonably valuable at this point - it would be interesting to see what the price guide says.)

Issue 24, August 1993

#2 Shadowman #16 (First appearance of Dr. Mirage): No surprise that this is selling for single dollars. QUARTER BIN FODDER

YEAR 2 TOP 10 COMIC STATS

Total unique comics appearing: Of 120 total comics appearing, this year was a bit more varied than the previous with 38 comics getting their first appearances on the list. Note that I am not including comics that first appeared in Year 1, which had the benefit of Issue 1 having 10 first-time appearances. The comic market was definitely moving a bit faster this year.

Appearance by publisher: Issue 17 is where Valiant overtakes Marvel

Valiant: 58
Image: 23
Marvel: 23
DC: 13
Welsh: 2
Dark Horse: 1

As expected, Valiant was the runaway pick for the year, overtaking Marvel pretty quickly by issue 17. The only one that has any real value in 2022 is a special issue that required you cutting apart eight other comics to even get. After being by far the big winner in year 1, Marvel fell way behind, with less than a quarter of the appearances in year 2, though it was the clear number 2 until issue 24 when Image (which didn't even exist until the end of the prior year!) managed to catch up. DC also improved quite a bit from year 1, and Welsh (Does this eventually become Bongo Comics?) and Dark Horse also managed to appear.

Overall appearances:

Marvel: 133
Valiant: 65
Image: 23
DC: 16
Welsh: 2
Dark Horse: 1

No surprises here. Marvel had a big year 1, and Valiant was the big winner in year 2, but not nearly as overwhelmingly.

Most valuable comic in 2022: A late entry to the list, but Amazing Spider-Man #300 continues to be a valuable comic having been printed in the days before the comic bubble and being the first appearance of one of Marvel's most enduring antiheroes, Eddie Brock.

Longest time in top 10: New Mutants #87 came into the year on a 12-appearance streak, and managed three more appearances for 15 total, making it still the longest-running book in the Top 10. Accounting only for year 2, there's a three way tie with Magnus: Robot Fighter #12, Rai #0, and Spawn #4 each making eight appearances.
Runner-up: In a tie with five appearances each, it was MORBIN' TIME as Amazing Spider-Man #101 and Rai #4 followed up.
There was a whole slew of one and done appearances this year: Magnus #0, Unity #0, Spectacular Spider-Man #189, Uncanny X-Men #266 (though this had a number of Year 1 appearances), John Byrne's Next Men #1, Harbinger #10, Harbinger #4, Superman #75, Magnus: Robot Fighter #5, WildC.A.T.S. #2, Superman Special #1, Pitt #1, Ren & Stimpy #1, Spawn #3, Spawn #5, Shadowman #16, and Spawn #2. Superman #75 has the dubious honor of appearing exactly once, in the #1 position, then getting followed up with "Oops! We goofed!" when its value fell back to earth.

Series with the most most comics appearing: Spawn, with issues 1-5 each appearing. Magnus: Robot Fights, Harbinger, and Rai each had three issues.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #25 September 1993

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

This: 'Silver Anniversary Edition'

Comic Watch

The Top 10

Wizard Profile

This Is All A Single 8 Straight Page Ad. The '90s!

Here Are Other Lesser Ads

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Three robot arms! With three guns. He is three times the man Cable is.

Whereas WildCATS was Jim Lee's team he made as a kid (along with the writer, whose name escapes me) Cyberforce feels 100% Silvestri going "X-Men but messing with dials."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kinda wish Wizard was still around so I could ask Corey Winston what they thought of AvX

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember being really pissed that Image cancelled Trencher but kept on Pitt, Trencher was a reliable monthly book that looked like nothing else on the rack. Pitt meanwhile looked like literally nothing on the rack since each issue was released years apart.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Was there a directed republican letter-writing campaign to Wizard this month, or what

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mister Olympus posted:

Was there a directed republican letter-writing campaign to Wizard this month, or what

The letters column was scarily prescient.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Man, I was exactly the right age to think the Azrael and AzBats costumes were the coolest thing ever when they dropped. I even had a big poster of AzBats. Know how many AzBats comics I bought or have even read at this point? One: the one where he puts on the costume. I also got the Sword of Azrael trade at some point. It's a decent little story, and I'm still a fan of Quesada's art.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Azrael (one of my first comics being Azrael/Ash probably has something to do with it). Annoyed they only did one trade of his series, but I am excited he's getting a miniseries soon. I'm always a little sad that Joe Quesada created one of my favourite characters, but all he'll be remembered for is 'One More Day.'

However, I have yet to read Knightfall. Every time I think about picking it up finally, DC announces a new, more complete collection coming out soon. I genuinely love Azrael's original costume, but the AzBats costume is so '90s it tickles me every time I see it.

Look at the drat thing. I love it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

catlord posted:

Look at the drat thing. I love it.
This is the poster I had! It was so cool! Look at it!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

BARRY
WINDSOR-
SMITH

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cartridgeblowers posted:

BARRY
WINDSOR-
SMITH

I'm currently reading Monsters. BWS is cool.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I agree that he is cool.

Not sure that anyone is three pages cool.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry if this has already come up, but I remember there being either comic store gossip or maybe it was actually in wizard, in regards to Superman 75 it was a going rumor that the black bag was made of some super acidic plastic that would rot the armband and the comic itself over time. Anyone remember that? Anyone actually open one recently and find melty dust to confirm? They’re cheap enough…

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't you DARE call them Pogs!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Don't you DARE call them Pogs!

i wonder which characters made their debut on these skycaps and how illustrious their publishing history has been

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Digging around a little it looks like Gen13 were the special premiere characters. Checklists published with the packs apparently even had the alternate name for the series since it was changed to Gen13 after the pigs went to print. You can still packs packs cor $4 on Amazon.

No. Title Subset

1 Emp WildC.A.T.S
2 Emp WildC.A.T.S
3 Void WildC.A.T.S
4 Void WildC.A.T.S
5 Grifter WildC.A.T.S
6 Grifter WildC.A.T.S
7 Zealot WildC.A.T.S
8 Zealot WildC.A.T.S
9 Voodoo WildC.A.T.S
10 Voodoo WildC.A.T.S
11 Maul WildC.A.T.S
12 Maul WildC.A.T.S
13 Warblade WildC.A.T.S
14 Warblade WildC.A.T.S
15 Spartan WildC.A.T.S
16 Spartan WildC.A.T.S
17 Julie WildC.A.T.S
18 H.A.R.M. WildC.A.T.S Villians
19 Attica WildC.A.T.S Villians
20 Slag WildC.A.T.S Villians
21 Coda Assassin WildC.A.T.S Villians
22 Coda Assassin WildC.A.T.S Villians
23 Coda Assassin WildC.A.T.S Villians
24 Pike WildC.A.T.S Villians
25 Gnome WildC.A.T.S Villians
26 Deamonite WildC.A.T.S Villians
27 International Operations (I.O.)WildC.A.T.S Villians
28 Black Razor WildC.A.T.S Villians
29 Helspont WildC.A.T.S Villians
30 Providence WildC.A.T.S Villians
31 Hightower WildC.A.T.S Villians
32 Battlion Stormwatch
33 Battlion Stormwatch
34 Winter Stormwatch
35 Fuji Stormwatch
36 Fuji Stormwatch
37 Diva Stormwatch
38 Diva Stormwatch
39 Hellstrike Stormwatch
40 Hellstrike Stormwatch
41 Synergy Stormwatch
42 Weatherman One Stormwatch
43 Cannon Stormwatch
44 Cannon Stormwatch
45 Fahrenheit Stormwatch
46 Strafe Stormwatch
47 Backlash Stormwatch
48 Flashpoint Stormwatch
49 Nautika Stormwatch
50 Warguard Stormwatch
51 Warguard Stormwatch
53 Brutus Stormwatch
54 Razor Stormwatch
55 Deathtrap Stormwatch
56 Hellslayer Stormwatch
57 Kilgore Stormwatch
58 Deathblow Deathblow
59 Deathblow Deathblow
60 Sister Mary Deathblow
61 Lynch Deathblow
62 Craven Deathblow
63 Cybermary Deathblow
64 Cybermary Deathblow
65 Hunter-Killer Deathblow
66 Union Union
67 Regent Union
68 Jill Monroe Union
69 Freefall Genrunners
70 Fairchild Genrunners
71 Grunge Genrunners
72 Burnout Genrunners

CHASE CAPS

Bonus Foils

JL1 Voodoo
JL2 Emp
JL3 Void
JL4 Spartan
JL5 Deathblow

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I totally bought Gen13 #1 because I thought it might be worth something. Also babes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah that was a hell of a letters section this month. While they did pull the "what about the law abiding gun owners" card as well as "we must punish people more strongly" cards, neither of which I'm a fan of, they at least said that there was a huge gun problem in the country, that guns make murder much easier, and that something needed to be done about it. which is a far cry from the "dead schoolchildren are just something we must accept in the name of freedoms" of today.

Also good on them for calling out the bullshit about condoms.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I totally bought Gen13 #1 because I thought it might be worth something. Also babes.

It's still not a dollar bin book if that helps. The mini-series was always hard to find. Some of the variants for the ongoing are also kind of up there. (I am slightly curious what the highest slabbed copy of the cover which has Fairchild and Grunge doing the infamous Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover goes for, but not enough to look.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 25, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

It's still not a dollar bin book if that helps. The mini-series was always hard to find. Some of the variants for the ongoing are also kind of up there. (I am slightly curious what the highest slabbed copy of the cover which has Fairchild and Grunge doing the infamous Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover goes for, but not enough to look.)

I think I sold it years ago for like 40bux.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Sorry if this has already come up, but I remember there being either comic store gossip or maybe it was actually in wizard, in regards to Superman 75 it was a going rumor that the black bag was made of some super acidic plastic that would rot the armband and the comic itself over time. Anyone remember that? Anyone actually open one recently and find melty dust to confirm? They’re cheap enough…
I've never heard this but for $10 shipped I'm willing to find out.

Dawgstar posted:

I can't find any slabbed, but unslabbed are running $65-85.

Edit: lol ordered Superman. Let's see how this works out in a few days

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 25, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You wasted $10. It’s not true. I also ordered a still sealed #75 a few years ago and everything in it was still perfect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:negative:

Well at least I'll get a cool arm band.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Goddamnit XO! There was loving science going on ya dang spoilsport. >: (

Anyway, you said that was a few years ago so maybe Endless Mike’s copy will have deteriorated by the time it gets there.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

My dad still has a bagged copy of #75 with the armband he bought on a whim on the off-chance it'd actually be worth something in the future. He'd check periodically, for a long time it would be really cheap, but I guess for some reason Baman v Superman caused a surge in prices, think it hit around $25 for a bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #26 October 1993

Cover

Contents

Magic Words!

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note