Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Holy poo poo, CIG licensed their GodTech to Amazon!

quote:

Now in Preview – Amazon CodeWhisperer- ML-Powered Coding Companion
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/now-in-preview-amazon-codewhisperer-ml-powered-coding-companion/

:trustme:

e: taxxe
https://i.imgur.com/UUAmsvW.mp4

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
*Amazon Code Whisperer suggests you commit this bug and call it tier 0*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

*Amazon Code Whisperer suggests you commit this bug and call it tier 0*

:lol:

"Code Whisperer suggests you hit CNTRL-Z. If that fails, please call Dennis at 345-678-0000."

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The AI would instantly be caught between the urge to recommend dumping the POS engine and its secret Rule 0 blocking it due to the Lumberyard/Amazon connection, causing it to commit sudoku instead.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Love how the code whisperer example / presentation solution is within spotting distance of the most naive approach imaginable to finding a prime...

Perfect for Star Citizen!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I have a question for the space sim fans here:

What game did space-mining the best?

I see a lot of star citizens that find space-mining incredibly important, but I'm having trouble imagining it ever being fun or interesting. Is there a game that did it well?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
ED's Deep Core mining is actually fun, and the rings (ice ones in particular) are pretty scenic, making the whole thing a rather zen experience (as long as you used the standard trick to get the guaranteed pirate to pop, scan you empty, leave, and you bosted for a few minutes away from the spawn zone, ensuring there's no more stupid NPCs magically locating you in the middle of nowhere).

I think Delta-V is 100% focused on space mining? It's 2d though, and I haven't tried it, so can't really speak for it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Delta-V looks kinda sick? I hadn't heard of it before. It's $5 right now and there's a demo. I'm gonna play it after work.

And for only a dollar more you can get the...Space Furry Edition?! Wtf.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Trillhouse posted:

Delta-V looks kinda sick? I hadn't heard of it before. It's $5 right now and there's a demo. I'm gonna play it after work.

And for only a dollar more you can get the...Space Furry Edition?! Wtf.

Since you mentioned it, I had to go check and... you weren't kidding...

quote:

Buy ΔV: Rings of Saturn - Space Furry Edition
Includes 2 items: ΔV: Rings of Saturn, ΔV: Rings of Saturn - Anthropogenesis UwU

The age of Men is Over. In another universe, just beyond the event horizon, the Future wears Fur.

Anthropogenesis
A complete character overhaul replaces all 256 human portraits with their anthropomorphic versions. This DLC does not affect gameplay in any other way. You can install or uninstall the DLC at any time, preserving any saved progress.

:lmao:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

FishMcCool posted:

guaranteed pirate
stupid NPCs magically locating you in the middle of nowhere

This is such a loving immersion breaker I'm still angry about it.

It also ruins the whole "space is huge and empty" that the rest of the game is so good at.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Trillhouse posted:

I have a question for the space sim fans here:

What game did space-mining the best?

I see a lot of star citizens that find space-mining incredibly important, but I'm having trouble imagining it ever being fun or interesting. Is there a game that did it well?

Elite Dangerous. Specifically, deep-core mining. It's one of the very few times I think a simulator-experience-heavy game managed to perfectly merge the sensation of "I'm enjoying this because of the immersive sim element of it" with "i'm enjoying how visceral this is as a straight up vidja game moment"

this happens rarely enough that you would never expect it to come from the mining portion of ANY game, since mining is usually the sort of place where the fun goes to die in these games, but for all its past troubles, ED pulled it off with that one. You do it in one of the more amazingly scenic locations of any space game, it's a lucrative hunt that builds up expectations, then when you find The One, it's both tense and rewarding to pull it off

then you blow the motherfucker open with the game's signature S-tier sound design via an earthshattering bass-heavy kaboom and wake up both your upstairs and downstairs neighbors at once, not to speak from personal experience. and you suck the sweet sweet marrow right out of that rock

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Xakura posted:

This is such a loving immersion breaker I'm still angry about it.

It also ruins the whole "space is huge and empty" that the rest of the game is so good at.

Absolutely. One of the many lines in my Great Book of Grudges, under the David Braben section.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sardonik posted:

So I finally got around to finishing Chorus, a space game made with about 1/hojilionth the budget of Star Citizen. It's pretty clear they used a lot of unity store bought assets but the core gameplay with its arcadey as hell flight model, complete with rad drift ability and an insanely low time to kill make it a transcendentally good space combat game. Interesting vibes too as you fight a powerful space cult.

I can't help but guess that any meaningful level of combat in star citizen can't help but be a goddamn mess by contrast. Just absolute jank. But I suppose none of the cultists in SC are playing for the combat.

I don't think I could pinpoint a store bought asset from original art from star citizen or elite or anything else going for a nonspecific space sim vibe, or even a bajillion 1-2 season netflix space dramas I've forgotten I watched.

Chorus is fun, haven't beaten it, but the Starfoxy kinda combat is fun and I usually hate having to chase fighters in space games like NMS. But the whole game only works because the flying is built around being fun & good, and getting to blast ships and quickly upgrade your little ship pew pew pew. the worst part of the game was holding down the ubtton to skip the longass hangar enterance cutscenes. Im not a pervert, aint tryna see that,

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The best space sim is Kerbal Space Program

The best space combat sim is Children of a Dead Earth

The best space ship builder sim is Wayward Terran Frontier

The best space 4x is Aurora

The best space VR dogfight sim is Eve Valkyrie (But for arcade dogfights i'd say Strike Suit)

The best space Roguelike is tied between FTL and Heat Signature

The best space trucker simulator is Elite Dangerous

I don't even know what genre it counts as but Reassembly is here too

In summary reject modernity and play Terminal Velocity

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the only real difference between terrain in terminal velocity and procedural planet terrain gen in modern games is draw distance and pbr textures.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FishMcCool posted:

Absolutely. One of the many lines in my Great Book of Grudges, under the David Braben section.

The "obligatory one pirate" led me to deep core mine in an imperial cutter. i had the skill and patience necessary to circle that beast around target asteroids with no trouble, and it can run an ideal mining loadout on top of substantial shielding and a full Pirate-Be-Gone weapon set. So i could FSD out and back in again with impunity. thanks braben

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Which space game has the best hot dogs though?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

The Super-Id posted:

Which space game has the best hot dogs though?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Elite talk has reminded me that the best summary of it is:

Elite's biggest flaw is that it doesn't respect your time and effort.

It's an insane slog of a game. Gorgeous, but empty. It could be something spectacular but it's been designed spitefully otherwise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i suggest katamari count as a space game and also the platonic ideal of what one should be

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Star Control II is still, 30 years after its release, the best space game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
cool yeah just bring it up without supplying a video snippet of some particularly delightful alien interaction

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

M_Gargantua posted:

The best space sim is Kerbal Space Program

The best space combat sim is Children of a Dead Earth

The best space ship builder sim is Wayward Terran Frontier

The best space 4x is Aurora

The best space VR dogfight sim is Eve Valkyrie (But for arcade dogfights i'd say Strike Suit)

The best space Roguelike is tied between FTL and Heat Signature

The best space trucker simulator is Elite Dangerous

I don't even know what genre it counts as but Reassembly is here too

In summary reject modernity and play Terminal Velocity

Star Citizen will have all of these things but better, plus the salvage of Hardspace: Shipbreaker, thousands of players in an instance, and every atom of argon fully tracked. Just give it another decade or two.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 25, 2022

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

cool yeah just bring it up without supplying a video snippet of some particularly delightful alien interaction

And the story about how the Zoq-Fot-Pik simultaneously discovered the Wheel, Fire, and Religion is one of the best pieces of writing in videogames.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 25, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FishMcCool posted:

ED's Deep Core mining is actually fun, and the rings (ice ones in particular) are pretty scenic, making the whole thing a rather zen experience (as long as you used the standard trick to get the guaranteed pirate to pop, scan you empty, leave, and you bosted for a few minutes away from the spawn zone, ensuring there's no more stupid NPCs magically locating you in the middle of nowhere).

I think Delta-V is 100% focused on space mining? It's 2d though, and I haven't tried it, so can't really speak for it.

Yeah that's right! ED mining has a nice balance between excitement (oh no there's a yellow contact at the edge of my sensor range, following me; oh no i have 5 seconds to set the last charge and it has to be exact) and chill (floating through an asteroid field squawking the sensor, looking at potatoes)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

In terms of good Space games, I'd like to throw a couple of less obvious ones in the ring:

Star Control II
Is an old DOS game. I came across it on an emulator many years ago and despite not knowing it from my childhood, I enjoyed it. Point being my enjoyment wasn't driven by nostalgia and it really held up. You're piloting an Ark through space to perform quests, modifying it, having space battles, and driving exploration vehicles over planetary surfaces. Really neat.

Master of Orion II, Stellaris, Endless Space 2
Now Master of Orion 2 is where I am a little bit blinded by nostalgia. Because as soon as I hear the soundtrack and see the interface I'm teleported back into being 9 years old and daydreaming about space and the people in the computer. Anyhow, it's a turn-based 4X space game where you and your opponents race to become the dominant faction in the galaxy, either by conquest or diplomacy. The MOO franchise pioneered many of the tropes of of modern 4X space games. So what you'll find is basically a modern 4X game, but just a lot more straightforward, with less complicated tech trees and diplomacy. And so it still holds up fine, just as the artwork, which thanks to being not early 3D art, aged well.

I'm also putting Stellaris and Endless Space (2) on here. Stellaris is I think a classic everyone knows about already. The Endless Space franchise is a little bit special. They are intensely atmospheric and beautifully done. They tend to put a little bit more story and character development into their games. I think the game play also looks a bit more cohesive. And the Endless franchise was I think one of the first to do a detailed modeling of your empire's factions' political leanings, i.e. modelled how on each planet, each ethnicity would map onto different political factions, and how those interacted with your actions to form a new senate which fed back into your game play through limiting the kind of laws you could enforce. Pretty neat stuff, although some people say that the system is biased to go in a few ways once the game is well underway.

Honorable mention: outer worlds
A brilliant space-themed FPS RPG. It's by Obsidian who also made New Vegas. I think at least some aspects of the recent Starfield trailer are taking inspiration from this. It may feel like a cross between Borderlands and New Vegas, because it's narratively rich (New Vegas) dive into a future where distant frontier worlds are run by greedy and inhuman corporations (Borderlands). I would say it's a must if you like any of the following tags: space, RPG, FPS, story-driven.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

X4 is good in a grognard way but at the end of the day all space games are bad, even the really good fun ones

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DaysBefore posted:

X4 is good in a grognard way but at the end of the day all space games are bad, even the really good fun ones

Is that an attempt at thinking like a commando to justify SC? Because if not, that's a pretty crazy take imho. Good space games are good. End of. There are some which I'd put in a grey area such as ED which mixes the really good with the really stupid, but across a wide spectrum, there's no way I'd call the entire X-Wing series, Privateer (1), Everspace, CoaDE, Kerbal or Elite 2/FFE bad. They do what they aim to do spectacularly well, and in the context of their era, some would even qualify as all-time video gaming hall of fame material.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Star Citizen fans? Are pieces of poo poo??? :monocle:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Pure poetry.

Who wouldn't get hard for a ship?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Taking bland pictures of sunset with lust on his mind

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dwesa posted:

Taking bland pictures of sunset with lust on his mind

I decided to use that post as a template.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

On pace to hit $100 million this year.

:toot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Honorable mention: outer worlds
A brilliant space-themed FPS RPG. It's by Obsidian who also made New Vegas. I think at least some aspects of the recent Starfield trailer are taking inspiration from this. It may feel like a cross between Borderlands and New Vegas, because it's narratively rich (New Vegas) dive into a future where distant frontier worlds are run by greedy and inhuman corporations (Borderlands). I would say it's a must if you like any of the following tags: space, RPG, FPS, story-driven.

lol i think you might be the first person in the universe to praise this game in any way, let alone recommend it to another person.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Outer Worlds billed itself as "Fallout in space but better writing" and it was really just a more boring Fallout game that tried way to hard to be funny.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It had a really weird structure too. I mean I get that not every game needs to be open world, but was the answer really to have each planet be a really tiny area with like 2 quests each? It would have felt better if they just had a smaller number of environments with more stuff to do, or just go full Mass Effect with open noncombat areas and very linear gameplay areas.

And yeah, I really struggled to care about any of the characters or the plot. The combat was boring too, there were some creative guns and such, but it really just came down to the finding the gun or hammer with the biggest number and then never using anything else.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It was a curiously uninspiring thing, OW.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and Outer Wilds was the better space game anyway.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/itseralia/status/1537800873526448129
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1540729699273277440
https://twitter.com/Heller_Jett/status/1538033746741706752
https://twitter.com/SupportNtc/status/1538192705028870147
https://twitter.com/Myre_Test/status/1540700902171979782
https://twitter.com/BlasphoneticSC/status/1537948892037545984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

It's always super cringe when you see grown adults flexing how much money they've thrown into a 10yo pre-alpha made by a bumbling has-been who has no idea whatsoever how to play his "game", or how to actually develop it.