Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Two more followup questions, as I started over but mostly have my poo poo together again:
  • When do I "need" to transition away from road traffic and over to trains? (Are boats a workable substitute here for the most part?)
  • How in god's name am I supposed to make gravel excavation effective? Included my awful setup below, but the big problem is that the buffer for excavation is nonexistent and you can't conveyor feed a gravel processing plant, so I'm constrained by the speed and frequency of dump trucks to try and keep things running. The downtime is almost constant as a result. There is nowhere on level ground to set up gravel quarries to keep things moving... This is the weakest point of my industry by a long shot right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Uh, do you have anything coming OUT of your gravel plant?

The trucks are, indeed, the bottle neck for gravel processing. The big problem is that the input buffer is tiny, so I typically queue up enough dumpers to make a constant line and set them as wait until empty in the orders.

You don't really need multiple quarries; they're almost never the bottleneck as long as they run.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Volmarias posted:

Uh, do you have anything coming OUT of your gravel plant?

The trucks are, indeed, the bottle neck for gravel processing. The big problem is that the input buffer is tiny, so I typically queue up enough dumpers to make a constant line and set them as wait until empty in the orders.

You don't really need multiple quarries; they're almost never the bottleneck as long as they run.

I do, it's just barely anything because I can't get enough stuff from the stone over to the plant consistently enough. I have conveyors running to a pair of storages just offscreen.

e: I hadn't switched over yet on account of the slowness, but I'm not ruling it out at this point as an option...
vvvv

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 20, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are 25 ton dumps are you suing those

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

euphronius posted:

There are 25 ton dumps are you suing those

This is not the legal thread

Also, as said, add more dump trucks from your quarries to your gravel plant. There's also the lazy operator's shortcut of creating a bulk unload point near the quarry, placing a bulk load point near the processor entrance, and conveyors between the two. One or two trucks go between the quarry and the bulk unload, and one or two between the bulk load and the processor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Using yes sorry . Using

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gravel is basically always bottlenecked by how fast you can truck quarried stone in, yeah, it's an annoying design of the plant and you kinda just have to accept that it's not gonna run at its max rated capacity, which isn't that important cos it only uses a handful of workers.

That said, however, as noted if you use the big 25 tonne dumper trucks this will help, they're only available in the early part of the game unless you build them yourself as they stop being produced some time in the 70s, so I would buy a few of them and park them in a depot if nothing else. I generally assign no more than 3 to the plant, 2 is tidier, as the plant has 2 parking spaces for trucks, so if you use 2 of the big trucks it can theoretically hold 50 tonnes of stone as a buffer. The issue with adding more than 2 is that when the plant is full up, they all park on the road and clog it up, creating a traffic jam which can go on to snag emergency service vehicles and snowploughs, very annoying.

Set the trucks to wait for full loads/unloads and other than making sure the plant is as close to the quarry as possible, which you have done, you just have to kinda accept that it produces kinda slowly compared to its on paper rating, but I generally still find one plant with a big gravel storage generates plenty of gravel for most uses, and you can always build more plants if you need more for concrete panel production etc. Again they use very few workers so it's not the end of the world, even if it does rankle that you're basically paying thousands of roubles for what amounts to more parking spaces.

Or you can download a modded gravel plant of the workshop if you really don't like it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 20, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Don't set them to wait until loaded, they'll do that naturally while they're still able to be being(whoops!) filled. Make sure that fuel trucks can get in, or the excavator if you're not fueling it directly.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 20, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah I wasn't sure if they would occasionally bugger off if the excavator didn't fill them enough. True you probably want them to cycle out if the quarry runs out of fuel though I usually keep them well filled so not had that issue.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also I keep harping on this but don’t fall into the factory-game trap: the gravel factory is not a throttle unless you’re using or exporting it faster than it’s being produced even when the productivity bar sometimes hits 0. Even exporting every ton of extra gravel fuel efficiently (boats!) I still nearly fill my overflow storage by the time the boat gets back and it’s pretty close to the border. I could really work on eeking out more efficiency but why? Think one “system level” higher when considering efficiency. If gravel production is a problem, build another processor. After the initial cost they only take 15 workers. The little red bar in the building window is “meaningless” to your republic at the highest level view. (Which sure, I’ll concede is hard to handle as a perfectionist management gamer.)

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Well, after 28 hours, I think I might have the required brain damage. I spent today just fiddling around with industries on their own little maps with hard settings but easy/infinite money.

Basically just, "OK, let's start with coal mines, then we need the plant to process it, ok how do conveyers work, ok, now if I want to export everything with trains, how does signaling work? Oh its basically just OpenTTD? Sweet."

And then on a completely separate map "OK, so oiljacks need pumping stations to tie them together, and then how do the harbors work if I just want to ship everything out?" [cue an hour of loving around with pipe/road connections so that everything looks good]

Game's good, and I haven't even touched mods yet. Also might have to go cosmonaut at some point again and start a main save. Or just keep loving around. :thunk:

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Also, if you're still working on your brain damage, I suggest doing just that - hop into a map with the goal like "I'm going to build a sick power plant, and then I'm done." Giving myself small goals to focus on really helped keep me from feeling overwhelmed with systems. Delete the save afterwards and then try something else until brain damage happens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gravel and coal, I think, are a lot more of a burden than a product. They aren't worth much and are generally needed in quite large quantities when they are needed, so the main benefit of a gravel plant, IMO, is that it produces gravel somewhere other than the border. And this saves you the trouble of trying to figure out how to shift a thousand tonnes of rocks around your republic.

They are more logistical hurdles to overcome than things to get very excited about, so if you find yourself needing more gravel or coal there is absolutely nothing wrong with just buying it, as long as you have a transportation solution, because that's the big challenge. If you have river access and your republic is bottlenecked on them you can just buy a hopper ship and cart it in by the bargeload.

Conversely if you are producing lots of them and happen to have a robust bulk transport system, then sure you might as well export them, but they're never going to be big earners, it's the sort of thing you do because you can rather than because it's super worth doing. You probably need a train system or a port anyway, so why not get some extra use out of it on your way to the gold star autarky badge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The only time it even makes sense to export gravel beyond the very early game, maybe, would be once you get boats for fuel efficient bulk export. Given that border stations have a fixed rate of loading / unloading per ton, you really want to move away from using them for anything inexpensive once you can, just so that you can have better throughout exporting / importing expensive things like chemicals, steel, or electronics.

And, unless you're making a gravel processing plant right on the border, it's not really cost effective to even export it early game. If you want to have a supply of income, find a value add industry like clothing factories or similar where a relatively small amount of import creates a relatively small amount of export, and your people aren't starving because the food truck is still waiting in line to load.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Another thing to keep in mind for non-Cosmonaut play (or for being very, very precise in the Cosmonaut leadup): cash-rush is an option even after you've broken ground; you'll simply import the remaining materials and labor rather than all of them. And labor > shipping > materials.

So on Cosmonaut, while labor doesn't progress until there's a little of everything onhand, you can still cut out some of the shipping charges by graveling up the first of your asphalt/concrete before buying it, and then supplying the concrete needed for an asphalt plant or vice versa as well.
And if buying later buildings for whatever reason, you can save significant amounts of cash by completing the groundworks step yourself. Normally there aren't many reasons you'd choose to, if you're buying it's because you want it done now and "done in two weeks" isn't much better than "done in a month". But if you're playing an island map without border crossings and don't have the proper port up yet, or want to do a sort of inverse-Cosmonaut with the conceit of being a north Siberian outpost or something that will get sealifted construction crews but is so remote and unpopulated it needs to rely solely on its own production outside of those, you can stretch those limited rubles a lot further.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My economy is thoroughly suffering and I hope I can string things together a few more months off of oil exports, but I'm making progress. A lot of new construction off of local and imported resources with local labor, a little oil infrastructure funded by my nearly untouched USD, and general expansion throughout. My actual production is not totally stable but I'm figuring out quirks of the game's system that are causing the issues (like my constant concrete shortage being caused by gravel processing output not splitting evenly between the conveyor outputs - I'm not getting any feed to my concrete and cement plants 90% of the time even when it's actively producing gravel). Two universities founded to start working on education, planned out domestic lumber industry to get started, and the American bucks gave me a little local oil production to supplement my pair of tankers. I almost bankrupted myself buying more electronics and clothing on a freighter than I thought I had done, but hopefully I can recover from ~900k rubles and turn it around some. Worst case I just coast a while and hope that the domestic food supply is enough to keep people fed...

I did run into one weird issue that I'm pretty sure is a bug, though. Since my rubles were running low and my USD supply was untouched, I figured I'd fill a pair of new apartment buildings with the USD resident option - third world immigrants. All well and good, until the buildings finish, the immigrants arrive... and they all have No Education and are incapable of working, putting me at 12% permanent unemployment instantly. I'm running Simple Education settings and there are no buildings that can educate them. The number has actually ever so slightly risen since I built those buildings (less than 5 people, but more than there were originally), so I think that introducing these bugged citizens is going to cause it to propagate. How can I actually deal with this? Universities don't touch them and both other schools are disabled because of Simple education.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I started cosmonaut with the goal of being self sufficient and … this Is going to take 300 hours isn’t it . More .

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sorry for dreaming this horrible layout into existence.

euphronius posted:

I started cosmonaut with the goal of being self sufficient and … this Is going to take 300 hours isn’t it . More .

It'll take some time, but it won't be that bad. Just one step at a time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest, unless you are likely to put huge volumes of traffic through that intersection, you can get away with just having a Y junction that crosses both lanes. Traffic will find its way quite comfortably across the extra lane.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest, unless you are likely to put huge volumes of traffic through that intersection, you can get away with just having a Y junction that crosses both lanes. Traffic will find its way quite comfortably across the extra lane.

For better or worse, it's already mostly built (one section of bridge + the far lane left to go), and it elicited horrified reactions from all of my friends who asked me to stream the game when they saw it, so I'm calling it a victory.

This is the only overbuilt intersection I have. Even the other "on-ramp" is just an at-grade four-way crossing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

On the other hand, a single massively overbuilt highway interchange surrounded by rutted mud and at-grade crossings does seem like peak eastern bloc construction, so I dig it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have a small town and an oil refinery up which outputs to a river port. It took a long rear end time . The pipelines were an insane building project but it all worked . Now I’m making like 100,000 rubles a month from my own oil . (This is 99% cosmo. I bought a few tricky things like critical power connections )

Things I tried this time were helicopter construction since my fuel is now “free” . They make things so much nicer. I can understand the balance limitation of only two per construction company otherwise you could just have swarms of them .

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

euphronius posted:

Yup, there will be lots of time spent just watching construction offices and seeing building percentages slowly tick up.

I usually have a show on my other monitor when I play.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Worth mentioning, if you didn't realize, there's different time speeds. As for me, by the time that I'm larger than the initial town or two I've usually got enough things going on that I don't run on time acceleration, unless there's VERY large projects and I have nothing else worth worrying about.

Would the people here consider deficit spending to exist in the realm of Cosmonaut? Given how time flies in the game much faster than you'd expect and it's the 90s before you know it, being able to pay out the wazzoo to get some things like Steel Mills or refineries built and repay over time (being sure to refinance the debt periodically!) is very useful in getting where I need to be quickly.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 23, 2022

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I almost always go a few million rubles into debt to get a first major export industry going like oil refinery or steel mill. The times I have tried it without going into any debt with food/alcohol/clothes as exports... are slow and boring.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Okay, saw it on sale and took the plunge. Soon I will be losing my mind over coal and trains.

What mods do y'all recommend? I'm ideally looking for some nice-looking buildings to make my hellhole republic look a bit more lived-in.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Game's on sale for 35% today on Steam if anyone reading is on the fence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The only necessary mods imho are the aggregate conveyer belt towers and the smaller clinic. Maybe the smaller cement plant too .

Just imho

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 24, 2022

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

euphronius posted:

The only necessary mods imho are the aggregate converter belt towers and the smaller clinic. Maybe the smaller cement plant too .

Just imho

The belt towers are necessary, yeah. After that, just grab anything that looks cool. If you download an industry then open it to find it's unbalanced, either use it as a "high tech" late game goal to upgrade to or just get rid of it, depending on your preference. Most are fine though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I enjoy some of the housing mods, and the loyalty statues help keep your place from feeling samey.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lessons from my first serious to a (99.9%) cosmonaut

- don’t underestimate boats . This is the way ti export oil byproducts
- give yourself plenty of space around buildings when building up
- importing food by truck isn’t that bad if you are relatively near a border crossing and it is not congested
- steel is expensive.
- passenger cableways are better than busses for getting people to industrial parks that you can build around . There is a lot of space in walking distance diameter around a cable station and it can puke out a stream of like … 150 constant employees
- think about the sequencing of building projects Because they invariably slow down at the delivery of concrete and asphalt . Try and align the delivery of labor coincident to the delivery of concrete and asphalt
- you do not want your concrete and asphalt plants to be dependent on truck deliveries

This is 10 years in. I have a oil refinery, two towns, a fully functional construction industry (minus steel) , and am starting on a coal power plant and steel plant .

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I live in dread of a day that concrete and asphalt become realistic and can only be unloaded when there are workers onsite to form and smooth them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And only when it’s in a certain temperature range and not raining

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My neighbor waited 6 weeks for a concrete delivery for a minor auxiliary drive way he was putting in .

Maybe that’s Becuase he wasn’t economically important as one customer but it did rain a lot .

Water defeats a lot of human plans .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Helicopter passenger platforms are also bus depots :psyduck:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So my industrial area has expanded to the point I need more than 2 bus stops to cover it, I'm considering building a ring road around it with shuttle busses to take people from the main bus station and drop them off near industries, is that a good model in W&R or not? I don't really want to have to create like four or five different bus routes to service the various different points, that seems like it would be messy. Also is there a way to get the game to auto space out busses on a line?

Edit: Is there a way to build a bus stop without deleting the road first?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 25, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Transfers are doable but require a lot of attention and foresight to end up with something that works the way you would want it to.

It's much easier to manage things like priority and volume by using sequential stops in routes. I always recommend treating people like one more resource harvested from bus stops and transfers are inefficient and handling waste in this idea. Pick em up and drop em off in order of reducing priorities. Build more people mines tenements and bus stops when the current source is dried up and fully utilized.

Line spacing is a checkbox on the route and is best used with the new service terminals where they can park to respace otherwise they just putter around at 15km/HR on your roads breaking everything.

You can build bus stops without deleting roads by having the infinite foresight of a learned transportation planner but I don't think that's what you mean, so no.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is there a way to mirror flip buildings? I'm often finding myself really wishing inputs or outputs were the other way around to fit in nicely with conveyor belts.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pharnakes posted:

Is there a way to mirror flip buildings? I'm often finding myself really wishing inputs or outputs were the other way around to fit in nicely with conveyor belts.

T, I believe.

It only ever comes up in loading screen tips and hotkey assignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
This game is going to suck up far too much of my time. I've spent 4?ish hours just basically starting over constantly while learning the basics and I'm still thinking about it all day at work.

Hopefully no minds a question - any idea why the distro office on the right can't connect to the customs house on the left?

https://imgur.com/a/hCHn8oD

edit: whelp, no idea why the embed isn't working but there is the link.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 27, 2022