Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bows1 posted:

I totally read this wrong and thought you meant Michael Winslow ACTUALLY did all the noises and rushed to google to look it up. I just read it wrong but I did find the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIbxc15ZaEQ

After watching that, I do remember noticing his mouth moving way back in the day, but I think that was the only time so I figured it was a cute animation of him mouthing the numbers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dervinosdoom posted:

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time

I started calling the fencing response mummy guard and it feels right in context.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is cheating, since it's my own game under development, but: I'm working on a racing minigame, and I wanted to have nonlethal hazards to bounce you around. So I made some mines and just kind of guessed at how much force to apply. A force of 100 didn't make any observable difference in the player's speed, so I tried 100000 instead:

https://i.imgur.com/ikYMlap.mp4

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

haveblue posted:

Second best way to make a silent takedown, after the GEP gun
Nope, the game already beat you to the Deus Ex reference.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is cheating, since it's my own game under development, but: I'm working on a racing minigame, and I wanted to have nonlethal hazards to bounce you around. So I made some mines and just kind of guessed at how much force to apply. A force of 100 didn't make any observable difference in the player's speed, so I tried 100000 instead:

adding zeroes until you see a difference is an excellent way of debugging :hai:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Please go into the grid before you hit anything and make a video of the pinball action.
Make a pinball game mode.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Supradog posted:

Please go into the grid before you hit anything and make a video of the pinball action.
Make a pinball game mode.

Yes please, that's exactly what I was picturing when I saw that grid and the bounceback.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

adding zeroes until you see a difference is an excellent way of debugging :hai:

We've all been there. One of my first forays into 3D graphics led to me spending an hour investigating why my mesh renderer wasn't working, only to discover the scale was so wrong that it was outside the far clip plane in all directions

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

We've all been there. One of my first forays into 3D graphics led to me spending an hour investigating why my mesh renderer wasn't working, only to discover the scale was so wrong that it was outside the far clip plane in all directions

Lmao that's great.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

yeah I was into Hydro Thunder

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As requested:

https://i.imgur.com/ngqVGq8.mp4

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:yeshaha:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this looks fun af tbh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:perfect:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I gotta admit, I feel like there should be a toggle for "high-force mines" to allow players to play with that level of rebound.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Make them a weapon the player can use.

Give them a friendly fire toggle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

I gotta admit, I feel like there should be a toggle for "high-force mines" to allow players to play with that level of rebound.

What I'm thinking right now is that I complete this level with the regular-force mines, then I make a Bounce House racing level which is more about getting launched chaotically around by various hazards.

Tunicate posted:

Make them a weapon the player can use.

Give them a friendly fire toggle.

This would clearly be the reward for completing Bounce House with a good time :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

This requires some Mario 64 sounds overlaid.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

This would clearly be the reward for completing Bounce House with a good time :v:

Yes but can we use it to bully planes?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not sure if you noticed or even mind it, but the speed goes down into the negative when the boat is moving towards the south/towards the camera and positive when going north/away from the camera.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/oo7aRjK.mp4

fuckin bye

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Post poste posted:

Yes but can we use it to bully planes?

There's a repulsor field special ability you can install, which blasts all projectiles and aircraft away from you when activated. Does that qualify?

Zil posted:

Not sure if you noticed or even mind it, but the speed goes down into the negative when the boat is moving towards the south/towards the camera and positive when going north/away from the camera.

Yeah, I've noticed that before, and honestly I'm fine with it. Negative speed when you're going backwards makes sense to me! :shrug:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

There's a repulsor field special ability you can install, which blasts all projectiles and aircraft away from you when activated. Does that qualify?

Yeah, I've noticed that before, and honestly I'm fine with it. Negative speed when you're going backwards makes sense to me! :shrug:

abs()lutely

also needs more 50s-era pinball noises when bouncing around

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm working on an increasingly complicated Doom mod, and one of the features is various debuffs and dots, including poison.

I think I've fixed it now, but for a while there was a bug where poison damage was capable of causing knockback, which -- since it also counts as self-damage -- meant that any enemy you poisoned would rocket upwards into the sky and not come down until the poison wore off or they died.

Zamujasa posted:

also needs more 50s-era pinball noises when bouncing around

[Sesame Street pinball machine music intensifies]

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm working on an increasingly complicated Doom mod, and one of the features is various debuffs and dots, including poison.

I think I've fixed it now, but for a while there was a bug where poison damage was capable of causing knockback, which -- since it also counts as self-damage -- meant that any enemy you poisoned would rocket upwards into the sky and not come down until the poison wore off or they died.
You saved how that one worked so you can implement it separately, on purpose, right?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

ToxicFrog posted:

[Sesame Street pinball machine music intensifies]

Why would you fix this. Hell it should be a special weapon effect

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Do you want MGS skyhooks? yes probably Because THIS is how you get MGS skyhooks!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Why would you fix this. Hell it should be a special weapon effect

It absolutely should, but it shouldn't be a poison effect

I'm still thinking about the details, but probably one of the capstone upgrades for the fire tree is going to be "burning enemies, once sufficiently alight, rocket into the sky and explode like fireworks". I think I've even got enough of a handle on the particle effects API to make cool rainbow firework effects, too.

The fireworks may also rain down incendiaries on the surrounding area.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grace Baiting posted:

Do you want MGS skyhooks? yes probably Because THIS is how you get MGS skyhooks!!

You mean the Fulton? That was a real thing, and apparently quite effective. Helicopters made it basically obsolete though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

You mean the Fulton? That was a real thing, and apparently quite effectively.

And didn't work like it does in MGS.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zereth posted:

It was realistic in MGS3 then they simplified it a lot for Peace Walker(and MGSV).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

Which sucks, because how cool would that be?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Which sucks, because how cool would that be?

Yep this is why I specified "MGS skyhooks" above, not the real-world inspiration

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
launching dozens of dudes into the sky is way cooler than realism.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

launching dozens of dudes into the sky is way cooler than realism.
Gotta sacrifice this entire russian military outpost to the Balloon God.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah I'll strap a balloon to a tank and put it on my helicopter, there's nothing unrealistic about that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My favorite thing to do is airdrop in a jeep solely to load unconscious soldiers in and instantly fulton back out

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Philippe posted:

Yeah I'll strap a balloon to a tank and put it on my helicopter, there's nothing unrealistic about that.

Wait I thought they floated all the way back to mother base?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Philippe posted:

The balloons give lift, the chopper just pushed it forward. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

You mean the Fulton? That was a real thing, and apparently quite effective. Helicopters made it basically obsolete though.

"Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 miles per hour (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured, but in a disoriented state. When it recovered, it attacked the crew.[3]"