Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Deteriorata posted:

They're trying to cut their power usage.

I need you to go right to hell. drat near choked on my beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Vim Fuego posted:

What. It's not an ancient house that just turned out that way? It's the brit equivalent of a subdivision mcmansion? :psyduck:

It’s a 2nd holiday home, on a purpose built estate of 2nd holiday homes. The holiday rental market in that area is berserk.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

That's not a fuse box, that's a meter base. There is no fuse there.

They are technically fuses, probably going to take a bit of juice to have them blow though...

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Must've used the good blades too, the lovely store-brand ones can't handle any serious current.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Deteriorata posted:

I saw

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Deteriorata posted:

They're definitely on the cutting edge of power conservation.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Now I've sawzall.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Reciprocating Current

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I love this image more than I love myself.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I replaced the batteries in our thermostat today. Five minutes later we check it, as my girlfriend says it was finicky the last time she changed them.

They were incredibly hot and one of the three had started melting the wrapper off itself :psyduck:

Anyway the problem was the spring for the back battery wasn't lined up and was causing some kind of bad connection, it's fine now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s 4:20. Do you know where your contacts are?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

why

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe it is an art instillation.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm not missing that, busses suck rear end. I'm saying that trains are prohibitively expensive for most of the places people wish they were once you consider the number of people they'd serve and its better to give crummy service (a bus) to a bunch of people than a nice service (a train) to a handful of people.

You’re not wrong or anything but it drives me insane that we’re only allowed to discuss costs when it’s related to public transportation. Imagine if we would consider cars in the same way. The public cost per person of building and maintaining roads to the average suburban hell is insane. Then add to that what the average commuter has to pay a month for their car and fuel. Trains only seem expensive when you assume all that other poo poo is free.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hedenius posted:

You’re not wrong or anything but it drives me insane that we’re only allowed to discuss costs when it’s related to public transportation. Imagine if we would consider cars in the same way. The public cost per person of building and maintaining roads to the average suburban hell is insane. Then add to that what the average commuter has to pay a month for their car and fuel. Trains only seem expensive when you assume all that other poo poo is free.
We didn't stop using, like, trolleys in cities because cars were way better. We stopped because car companies bought the trolley lines and then just shut them down.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hedenius posted:

Part of the problem though is that you'll still need many of those roads so trucks can make deliveries to stores and factories, and once the road already exists and can withstand a semi truck hauling 50,000lbs of lumber to Home Depot then you'd might as well let people drive their cars on it.

Even with industrial/agricultural rail being as built up as it is in the US, it's still usually hundreds of miles of travel by truck before it starts being cheaper to put everything on a train and then transfer to a truck near the destination. Yes, that's partially because the roads are subsidized, but it's also easier to get dual-use out of a road than try and cram people on a train trundling along at 20mph behind a literal cattle car.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zereth posted:

We didn't stop using, like, trolleys in cities because cars were way better. We stopped because car companies bought the trolley lines and then just shut them down.

Read these and reformulate an opinion:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-03/be-careful-how-you-refer-to-the-so-called-great-american-streetcar-scandal

https://www.vox.com/2015/5/7/8562007/streetcar-history-demise

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Because lovely repair.

It’s Hardiebacker clapboard; I installed it on my garage. At first I thought it was screwed only at the bottom to suck it in (I have 3-4 areas where I had to do that, probably because I used ring-shanks in a Paslode dialed all the way out + a shim in an effort to not pin the siding too tightly to the sheathing, and those spots where where I failed)

But I saw the cut. So a length got broken, and it can be a real challenge to jimmy the nails out using a flat-bar without damaging the run above it, so they punted & cut it off flush with the upper run & butted in a section.

And if the siding was all originally installed with screws, you’re kinda hosed.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Heaven forbid anything—anything at all—ever goes wrong with that dishwasher.

e: comedy option: there’s no back on the sink cab, providing access to Maintenance Narnia

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

e: comedy option: there’s no back on the sink cab, providing access to Maintenance Narnia

Put a removable panel on the exterior wall behind the dishwasher.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

There's a little elevator holding it in place. When it dies, just lower it down into the front hallway

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is the kitchen design you go with when your life doesn't have enough lower back pain

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is the kitchen design you go with when your life doesn't have enough lower back pain

:hmmyes:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Cat Hatter posted:

Part of the problem though is that you'll still need many of those roads so trucks can make deliveries to stores and factories, and once the road already exists and can withstand a semi truck hauling 50,000lbs of lumber to Home Depot then you'd might as well let people drive their cars on it.

Even with industrial/agricultural rail being as built up as it is in the US, it's still usually hundreds of miles of travel by truck before it starts being cheaper to put everything on a train and then transfer to a truck near the destination. Yes, that's partially because the roads are subsidized, but it's also easier to get dual-use out of a road than try and cram people on a train trundling along at 20mph behind a literal cattle car.

Yeah but if it's mostly only commercial vehicles using the roads then you don't need 12 lanes and loads of parking, which gives you more room for everything else (like public transport and buildings and poo poo). It also means the stuff on the roads works better, like the trucks, but also busses, ambulances and delivery vehicles.

Getting stuff off the roads is better for everything, including the stuff still on the roads. This is part of the reason getting mad at bike lanes is silly: every bike in a bike lane is a car you're not stuck behind in traffic, in a much more efficient space trade off than just having another lane of cars.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!

Why the gently caress didn't they put a normal corner/lazy-susan type cupboard where the dishwasher is, and put the dishwasher where the single cupboard is on the right side? If you even need a dishwasher in the first place, but I guess that depends on how many bedrooms this place has. Wow I had no idea I could be this angry about kitchen design.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

PainterofCrap posted:

There's a little elevator holding it in place. When it dies, just lower it down into the front hallway

Truly the dumbest of waiters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is the there a bite taken out the back right corner of the room, anyway?

Seems like crappy architecture. There’s a window, so we know that whatever it is is right against the exterior of the building.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Angry Pie posted:

Why the gently caress didn't they put a normal corner/lazy-susan type cupboard where the dishwasher is, and put the dishwasher where the single cupboard is on the right side?

They would have to run longer water supply and drain lines to the dishwasher.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Angry Pie posted:

Why the gently caress didn't they put a normal corner/lazy-susan type cupboard where the dishwasher is, and put the dishwasher where the single cupboard is on the right side? If you even need a dishwasher in the first place, but I guess that depends on how many bedrooms this place has. Wow I had no idea I could be this angry about kitchen design.

If it couldn't be done in a Sims game, it shouldn't be done in real life.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Splode posted:

Yeah but if it's mostly only commercial vehicles using the roads then you don't need 12 lanes and loads of parking, which gives you more room for everything else (like public transport and buildings and poo poo). It also means the stuff on the roads works better, like the trucks, but also busses, ambulances and delivery vehicles.

Getting stuff off the roads is better for everything, including the stuff still on the roads. This is part of the reason getting mad at bike lanes is silly: every bike in a bike lane is a car you're not stuck behind in traffic, in a much more efficient space trade off than just having another lane of cars.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but at least up here, the bike lanes are half the width of a car lane, separated from the main road by a greenspace that is again half a lane wide. And rarely actually green.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is the kitchen equivalent of that lateral thinking puzzle with the fox and the hen and the sack of grain.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They would have to run longer water supply and drain lines to the dishwasher.

Also they'd need some sort of solution to hide them since obviously you can't just have them run across the floor to underneath the sink. Which itself would be a potential maintenance nightmare should those hoses ever start to leak while they're hidden in some wall cavity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1RiUIYW

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I refuse to believe that is real. That is a drat zoo enclosure and not an apartment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

If this doesn't have a bidet they're doing it wrong. But at least make the whole thing out of opaque glass, or frosted.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

At least you can light up the fireplace after taking a rancid dump in your kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Things like this are fun because I get to learn something new. For example, I was about to ask “Does it even get cold enough in Adelaide to warrant a fireplace?” Then I looked it up, and it turns out that in July, the average low is 46°F/7.8°C.

Almost cold enough for frost to afford you some privacy in your Perspex making GBS threads cube.